Forums are back in action! ×

Online food calculator thingie

So my health insurance provider has this wellness thing where you can track what you eat (it breaks down calories, fat, carbs, sugar, and fiber). It's been handy and I enjoy using it, however in the middle of last year they switched to a different company to provide the website. There website is so buggy it's driving me nuts. It started with links that went to nowhere and now my food lists from Monday - Friday are all pulling into each other. Is there anyone who uses an online nutrition calculator who could point me in the direction of a decent one? Why do you like the one you use?

I know a person probably doesn't need to track everything they eat, but trust me I do. Knowing the carb make up of the grapefruit I ate earlier will prevent me from eating the other 3 I have in the same day.

I use livestrong.com's daily plate. I just always have so all my food is already stored. it works well enough but I always double check my entries as a lot of mistakes pop up. BUT, you can edit foods, add foods, do recipes, meals, etc. handy dandy

"I'm just going to remember to not eat like an asshole most of the time" - MoC

three words I can sum up everything I've learned about life: one must squat.- Brobert Frost
 Half-Elf Warrior | Current Challenge
 New Battle Log | Old Battle Log
Special thanks to AkLulu for drawing my awesome avatar!

Yeah, that saves me a ton of time. The meal option is nice, too. But I change portions of things too often to utilize that properly.

"I'm just going to remember to not eat like an asshole most of the time" - MoC

three words I can sum up everything I've learned about life: one must squat.- Brobert Frost
 Half-Elf Warrior | Current Challenge
 New Battle Log | Old Battle Log
Special thanks to AkLulu for drawing my awesome avatar!

I love livestrong.com. Anyone know how to get a link to my specific myplate?

Massrandir, Barkûn, Swolórin, The Whey Pilgrim
500 / 330 / 625
Challenges: 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 31 32 34 35 36 39 41 42 45 46 47 48 49 Current Challenge
"No citizen has a right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable. " ~ Socrates
"Friends don't let friends squat high." ~ Chad Wesley Smith
"It's a dangerous business, Brodo, squatting to the floor. You step into the rack, and if you don't keep your form, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to." ~ Gainsdalf

sparkpeople.com

they recently added some recipe features i never quite played with but you can save lists of favorites and foods you eat together. also, you have access to other people's saved foods so often a local chain restaurant that isn't in the sparkpeople database will be there from someone who uploaded the info...you just gotta double check it but usually people are pretty accurate.

I use myfitnesspal, it's great. I like the fact that you can add meals (for morning of afternoon snacks, for example) and you don't get stuck with only breakfast, lunch and dinner. Hope it helps.

I use the same.

It also has an iphone app with barcode scanner which saves me mucho time.

Oz.

+1 for myfitnesspal. Their database is huge (like I just bought Satsuma tangerine things at Whole Foods and those were in there), you can really customize your food structure (like adding meals, claling them what you want), and you can customize your goals (calories and macros).

-Damzie

"Until at last, I threw down my enemy and smote his ruin upon the mountain side..."

Goals: Training (and eating) for strength. 

Stats - 34 years old, 5'7" and 130lbs of woman. And growing.

PRs: 150 Squat, 165DL (have since fixed form but haven't retested 1RM),115lb Bench

Nerd credentials: Very loving relationship with LOTR and other such "nerdy" literature, 34 solid years of social awkwardness. 

+(X+1) for myfitnesspal! I've been using it of over a year now and am overall pleased with it.

Half-Ork Scout Leader
Running PRs : 5K 24m16s | 10K 53m32s | 15K 1h18m09s | Half Marathon 2h1m44s | Marathon 4h42m2s 
Past Challenges #1 #2 #3 #4 #5 #6 #7 #8 #9 #10 #11 #12 #13  #14 #15 #16 #17 #18 #19 #20 #21 #22
                               #23 #24 #25 #26 #27 #28 #29 #30 #31 #32 #33 #34 #35 #36 #37 #38 #39 #40
Current Challenge Don't Call It A Comeback

i use calorie count, but I stay out of the forums. The tracker is awesome, lots of foods in the database, has a recipe builder, does meals, and lots of other features. But stay out of the forums, they are full of people asking the same questions over and over and over... (I'm eating 800 calories a day and spending 4 hrs on the treadmill, why can't I lose weight???)

I am my own evil twin!

~~ Paleo Challenge! ~~ Blog ~~

I used to use calorie count, but I hate that it "grades" your food (and for some odd reason Fruit Loops got an A). I moved to myfitnesspal because I thought some of my friends were there. It has a huge database but I don't like that it won't give me a pie chart of my macros like Calorie Count does. I've considered switching except that I have made a few friends over that way -- and hey, MFP is how I discovered NF when someone posted a link to spezzy's story!

Old Battle Log

An avenue I explored was using the Eat-App food recorder for Android. It doesn't quite support my phone yet, but I'm interested in an app that lets me photograph my meals and calculate the calories later when I'm at home.

Not sure if this the kind of thing you're after though.

lol I don't actually have a smartphone (I know nerd fail) but it would be nice. That app sounds easy enough, I wonder how accurate it would be?

Another myfitnesspal fan here! love the scanner but doesn't apply to the OP because they don't have a smartphone...DEFINITELY stay out of forums.

I've used a few others but my issue was that it was telling me I was eating way over in fats and way under in carbs and e-mailing me every day because it wanted to provide "better nutrition tips." It was just contradicting the diet I was on!

Another My fitnespal user here. I like it, and without it I would never have realised how deficient in protein my diet used to be.

I'm not sure why you're being told to stay away from their forums, possibly because it can get confusing with one person advising diet a, another advising diet b, a third arguing for the sake of arguing, and the same with exercise. Thats how I ended up here, I wanted to structure my exercise, and MFP was and still is good for counting calories and monitoring nutrients, but forget asking for exercise help over there.

The greatest mistake you can make in life is to be continually afraid to make one. - Elbert Hubbard