Forums are back in action! ×

Hey fellow Rebels, 

My name is Reese, and I've been with the rebellion for about 6 months, but just started taking it seriously in the last month or so. I went through a very serious bout of depression in April. Nearly drank myself to death (and I'm not really a big drinker so something was definitely off), barely functioned at work, pushed away every single friend I had. I got real help, finally, and for the first time I was told that I have PTSD and that my past drug abuse (over 10 years clean!) was a symptom, not a cause, of depression, anxiety, and PTSD. Maybe that's all TMI, but I'm really just starting to understand what is happening in my brain and the things I can do to fix some of it. 

So, when I started feeling better mentally, it was like a Ellie Sattler flipping up the power switches for Jurassic Park's systems. I gave up alcohol, tobacco, sugar, and 99% of my caffeine intake. I stopped eating fast food, actually all processed food. It happened really, REALLY fast, so fast that I'm sort of surprised that I've not turned into Big Tim the Human Piece of Toast. But I'm running with it, and really pushing myself to be mindful of what I put in my body. Because my body is a mothacrackin TEMPLE, folks. 

My fitness goals are

(1) to get into weight lifting. I'm lurking around a couple of gym websites in my area, and my next step is to sit down and create a tight budget that includes a gym membership. 

(2) To complete a gd pull-up.

(3) To get back into hiking and work up to hitting the trails I really love; I've found the more difficult hikes are often the most rewarding.

(4) To get on a REGULAR, SATISFYING sleep schedule. Also, it's 2:30 AM here on the west coast of the US, so

(5) To make it so my belly button doesn't squish down on itself anymore. Y'all know what I mean. I want one of them taut, open belly buttons. 

I'm excited to hang out / battle with you guys and get to know you! HANG ON TO YA BUTTS!

Talk soon, 

R

• Like 4

The Lonely Wolf | Level 9 Worgen Ranger

Instagram | Daily Battle Log | NF Character | Current Challenge: Mad Wolf In A Blue Box

Geek Out- Star Wars. Star Trek. Doctor Who. Firefly. Lost In Space. WoW. Destiny. Legend of Zelda. Mario Kart 64. Dominion.

Fate whispered to the lonely wolf,

"you cannot withstand the storm."

The lonely wolf whispered back,

"I am the storm."

allons-y... a french connection somewhere?

• Like 1

My Profile        |     I must not fear.  Fear is the mind killer.

My Battle Log  |     Fear is the little death that brings total obliteration.

|     I will face my fear.  I will permit it to pass over me and through me.

Start to Run      |     And when it has gone past, I will turn the inner eye to see its path.

|   Where the fear has gone, there will be nothing.  Only I will remain.

8 minutes ago, Igaduma said:

allons-y... a french connection somewhere?

A Doctor Who connection methinks! ;)

First - Holy Pants Batman! That is amazing, I think most people would struggle to overcome what you have.

I know people who suffer from PTSD and it's a terrible thing to live with, you have my sympathy. This might sound like a weird suggestion, but have you thought about getting a therapy dog? I've seen people with PTSD who's lives have been turned around by having one. It would also be a buddy for those trails and force you to do some daily exercise. Just a thought. 

You said you've been a part of the rebellion for six months, does that mean you know your way around the forum ok, know all about the challenges, the guilds etc? If not just say and I can post up some good info. :)

If you're struggling to pay for a gym membership (which can be bloody expensive!) then have you considered doing bodyweight exercises? There's a good beginners guide on the main site Here and if you wanted to take it further then Waldo's website Strength Unbound has lots of good info, plus it has his transformation pics (totally worth checking out!). Just remember when you see him that he has achieved his physique, and strength, without ever going to a gym. :o Just an idea to save you some $$$$.

Of course if you want to get into barbell work and are struggling to get a gym membership then it might be worth looking on Craigslist. You can get second hand equipment pretty cheap sometimes. 

Have you looked into what kind of program you might want to do at the gym? A lot of people use Stronglifts 5x5 which is a good beginner/intermediate program leaning towards powerlifting. If you're more interested in Olympic Weightlifting then you might find Catalyst Athletics website useful. Of course there are many, many more and you will get lots of help and advice about programming in the Weightlifting and Powerlifting section of the forum. :)

Anyways, I hope some of that was helpful and look forward to seeing you around the forum. 

• Like 2

Make Life Rue The Day                             Turning back the clock                                                Recipe book  14

Life is far too short to take seriously

Welcome sister. You have been through so much and I'm so glad you are taking the steps to get stronger mentally and physically!

@Guzzi Gave you some great information and you know if you need anything you can always ask me. :) 

GoodReads  MyFitnessPal

Spoiler

Previous Challenges: 2020: 1.20  - 2019: 1.19 l 2.19

2018: 1.18 l  2.18 l 3.18 l 4.18 l 5.18 l 6.18 l 7.18

2017: 1.17 I 2.17 I 3.17 I 4.17 I 5.17 l 6.17 l 7.17 l 8.17 I 9.17 l 10.17  

2016: 1.16 l 2.16 l DA v.1 l DA v.2 I DA v.2 Reloaded I DA v.3 I DA v.4 I 8.16 I 9.16 I DA v.5 I 11.16 

2012: 1 2013: 2 l 3 l 4 l 5 l 6 l 7 l 8 2014: 9 l 10 l Not Done Yet l Time to Conquer l  Conquering 

HFC for Life!

Welcome indeed! My heart goes out to you and your struggles. I never dealt with most of it myself but I have suffered from what I was told was PTSD and anxiety so there I can at least sympathize and give a high five for your huge efforts to destroy the negatives!

Allons-y is most likely the doctor who reference, though it is French for "let's go!" Which is super fitting :)

• Like 1

Level 2 Lycan Assassin

STR 2 | DEX 2 | STA 2 | CON 3 | WIS 5 | CHA 4

Wow, that's a great turnaround. It's awesome what you've already overcome.

Sleep: when I gave up alcohol and coffee and added long daily walks, my sleep greatly improved. More exercise should help tire you out naturally.

Another thing that helps when I do it: turn off my phone! No screens for X minutes before sleep. Get in bed, turn off the lights, close your eyes, and wait. Boredom, then sleep, will come. At most, read a paper book or listen to a podcast. Those don't have the hypnotizing effects of a screen.

Bonus if the book is boring.

• Like 1

"Those who shun the whimsy of things will experience rigor mortis before death."

Tom Robbins

Current Challenge

Awwwww thanks erryone! Yes, "Allons-y" is a DW reference -- The Tenth Doctor's favorite saying! I thought about using Eleven's "Geronimo!" but I like Allons-y slightly better. :)

@Guzzi Yep, I'm pretty solid on the forums, also have been in the Academy for six months and LOVE the new update omggg. A therapy dog is not a weird idea at all! I loooove dogs and I really want one but I'm not in a place where it would be practical. I'm also just not home enough because of my job right now, but it won't be like this forever -- still working my way up. But being owned by a dog is definitely a goal for within the next few years! As for the gym, I am allllll about the bodyweight exercises right now. I will check out Waldo's site, sounds great! I've been doing the regular NFA Bodyweight workouts and using various found objects / landscapes to do some of the Ranger quests. I would eventually like to join a smaller gym once I can afford it -- hopefully by the time my next pay raise hits in 8 months. Thank you for all the info! I'm keeping a hawk eye on Craigslist for used equipment.

@Igaduma My given name, Cerise, is French! Cherries, y'all.

@Jonesy Thanks, Seester. I'm looking forward to hanging out with you virtually, and making our parents horribly confused when we're home and start gushing about quests and leveling up :applause:

@Fenyx Thank you! It's been a struggle, but I'm keeping things in perspective and reminding myself that for some reason, that was what I had to go through to get where I am at this moment. Just living in the present has radically changed how I view my life!

@M_J Yeah my phone is probably the main culprit. I can't read because I don't have any books that I find boring hahaha! But I'm going to pay more attention to my phone usage and make some changes there, thanks for the suggestion!

Aw, thanks so much for all your kind words. Looking forward to talking more!

• Like 3

The Lonely Wolf | Level 9 Worgen Ranger

Instagram | Daily Battle Log | NF Character | Current Challenge: Mad Wolf In A Blue Box

Geek Out- Star Wars. Star Trek. Doctor Who. Firefly. Lost In Space. WoW. Destiny. Legend of Zelda. Mario Kart 64. Dominion.

Fate whispered to the lonely wolf,

"you cannot withstand the storm."

The lonely wolf whispered back,

"I am the storm."

31 minutes ago, TheLonelyWolf said:

@Jonesy Thanks, Seester. I'm looking forward to hanging out with you virtually, and making our parents horribly confused when we're home and start gushing about quests and leveling up :applause:

Dude I've been confusing them for years with quest and level up discussions. Haha

• Like 1

GoodReads  MyFitnessPal

Spoiler

Previous Challenges: 2020: 1.20  - 2019: 1.19 l 2.19

2018: 1.18 l  2.18 l 3.18 l 4.18 l 5.18 l 6.18 l 7.18

2017: 1.17 I 2.17 I 3.17 I 4.17 I 5.17 l 6.17 l 7.17 l 8.17 I 9.17 l 10.17  

2016: 1.16 l 2.16 l DA v.1 l DA v.2 I DA v.2 Reloaded I DA v.3 I DA v.4 I 8.16 I 9.16 I DA v.5 I 11.16 

2012: 1 2013: 2 l 3 l 4 l 5 l 6 l 7 l 8 2014: 9 l 10 l Not Done Yet l Time to Conquer l  Conquering 

HFC for Life!