Forums are back in action! ×

20th Day Walking Challenge (Dec 5 - Jan 13)

11 minutes ago, scalyfreak said:

with lots of honey,

I do peppermint tea just because...peppermint..

The throat coat stuff is supposedly "herbal medicine," all I know is my throat feel better and I can talk afterwards (it actually tastes pretty good too).

Googled ingredients: Organic Licorice Root (38% FairWild Certified Ingredients by Dry Weight, www.Fairwild.org), Organic Slippery Elm Bark [USP] (This is the Pharmacopoeial Quality Standard We Use Because Quality Matters), Organic Licorice Root Dry Aqueous Extract 6:1, Organic Marshmallow Root, Proprietary Blend: Organic Wild Cherry Bark (Prunus Serotina), Organic Fennel Fruit, Organic Cinnamon Bark, Organic Sweet Orange Peel.

Fitbit username: farflight   (would love to have more people on there)

Getting life in order is a challenge worth doing.

Happiness is the journey, not the destination (took me forever to learn that)

2 hours ago, farflight said:

Googled ingredients: Organic Licorice Root (38% FairWild Certified Ingredients by Dry Weight, www.Fairwild.org), Organic Slippery Elm Bark [USP] (This is the Pharmacopoeial Quality Standard We Use Because Quality Matters), Organic Licorice Root Dry Aqueous Extract 6:1, Organic Marshmallow Root, Proprietary Blend: Organic Wild Cherry Bark (Prunus Serotina), Organic Fennel Fruit, Organic Cinnamon Bark, Organic Sweet Orange Peel.

From the looks of that list, that tea would be delicious!

Regrettably, I am not allowed licorice root, because I have high blood pressure :(

The Great Reading Thread of 2024

“I've always believed that failure is non-existent. What is failure? You go to the end of the season, then you lose the Super Bowl. Is that failing? To most people, maybe. But when you're picking apart why you failed, and now you're learning from that, then is that really failing? I don't think so." - Kobe Bryant, 1978-2020. Rest in peace, great warrior.

Personal Challenges, a.k.a.The Saga of Scalyfreak: Tutorial; Ch 1; Ch 2; Ch 3; Ch 4; Ch 5; Ch 6; Intermission; Intermission II; Ch 7; Ch 8; Ch 9; Ch 10; Ch 11; Ch 12 ; Ch 13; Ch 14Ch 15; Ch 16; Ch 17; Intermission IIICh 18; Ch 19; Ch 20; Ch 21; Ch 22; Ch 23; Ch 24; Ch 25; Intermission IV; Ch 26; Ch 27; Ch 28; Ch 29; Ch 30; Ch 31; Ch 32; Ch 33; Ch 34; Ch 35; Ch 36; Ch 37; Ch 38; Ch 39; Ch 40; Intermission V; Ch 41; Ch 42; Ch 43; Ch 44; Ch 45; Ch 46; Ch 47; Intermission VI; Ch 48; Ch 49; Ch 50; Ch 51; Intermission VI

@Telethot If the spreadsheet keeps giving you issues, please let me know. I will force the document settings to let you in. It might take a few days of torturing them by forcing them to listen to 1970's disco music played on an accordion, but I will make it happen! (Please include details on the problem, error messages, etc.)

Welcome to the challenge!

“I've always believed that failure is non-existent. What is failure? You go to the end of the season, then you lose the Super Bowl. Is that failing? To most people, maybe. But when you're picking apart why you failed, and now you're learning from that, then is that really failing? I don't think so." - Kobe Bryant, 1978-2020. Rest in peace, great warrior.

Personal Challenges, a.k.a.The Saga of Scalyfreak: Tutorial; Ch 1; Ch 2; Ch 3; Ch 4; Ch 5; Ch 6; Intermission; Intermission II; Ch 7; Ch 8; Ch 9; Ch 10; Ch 11; Ch 12 ; Ch 13; Ch 14Ch 15; Ch 16; Ch 17; Intermission IIICh 18; Ch 19; Ch 20; Ch 21; Ch 22; Ch 23; Ch 24; Ch 25; Intermission IV; Ch 26; Ch 27; Ch 28; Ch 29; Ch 30; Ch 31; Ch 32; Ch 33; Ch 34; Ch 35; Ch 36; Ch 37; Ch 38; Ch 39; Ch 40; Intermission V; Ch 41; Ch 42; Ch 43; Ch 44; Ch 45; Ch 46; Ch 47; Intermission VI; Ch 48; Ch 49; Ch 50; Ch 51; Intermission VI

47 minutes ago, scalyfreak said:

@Telethot If the spreadsheet keeps giving you issues, please let me know. I will force the document settings to let you in. It might take a few days of torturing them by forcing them to listen to 1970's disco music played on an accordion, but I will make it happen! (Please include details on the problem, error messages, etc.)

Welcome to the challenge!

I keep getting a message that I am not online and try again when I am. I'm trying from my phone so I am of course online but just including for completeness. BTW how do I listen in on your amazing taste in music! I love disco accordion. 

I keep getting a message that I am not online and try again when I am. I'm trying from my phone so I am of course online but just including for completeness. BTW how do I listen in on your amazing taste in music! I love disco accordion. 
I think I had that issue too. Try open it in the browser, so your account gets permission, then use the app and see if it works.

Challenges: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8

Just now, Diadhuit said:
13 minutes ago, Telethot said:

I think I had that issue too. Try open it in the browser, so your account gets permission, then use the app and see if it works.

I'm on android so I don't have the app. I'm using Chrome.

On my Android, I can open the sheet in Chrome, but to edit the sheet I need to be in the Google Sheets app. Try installing the app and try the sheet again?

Worst case scenario, I can update it for you, as long as you track your progress in posts here.

Pre-logging for extra accountability? I like it! :)

Thanks. I had to open with Google app. The link in browser didn't work for me but I believe that I am in. I already logged my walk for today so I best get out there soon.
Glad you resolved the problem :)

Btw people, tapatalk is suggesting me to fly to Inverness that is where the story of 'the walk' starts. I think I am tempted by a IRL 'the walk' beside, ugh, no, it would be terrifying if what happens in that story would really happen :/

21 hours ago, scalyfreak said:

Pre-logging for extra accountability? I like it! :)

It's a good thing I did. My household is toxic for me and I am unable to leave. Although I planned on waiting before trying yoga I needed a safe environment. Fortunately I found a studio I am comfortable in and was able to mentally escape. The class kicked my ass as expected but then I  realized I still needed to walk. I got home it was cold and dark but I was going to complete what I had logged. I confess the final 3 minutes were inside but I did it.

It's a good thing I did. My household is toxic for me and I am unable to leave. Although I planned on waiting before trying yoga I needed a safe environment. Fortunately I found a studio I am comfortable in and was able to mentally escape. The class kicked my ass as expected but then I  realized I still needed to walk. I got home it was cold and dark but I was going to complete what I had logged. I confess the final 3 minutes were inside but I did it.
Inside is fine, the excellent part is that you walked :)
I did my walk today, at the airport. I arrived early, so I wandered between terminals carrying on my trolley and backpack. My hand hurts carrying it around...

4 hours ago, Diadhuit said:

Inside is fine, the excellent part is that you walked :)

Absolutely. The important part is that you're walking!

I'm so glad I have you all to be accountable to everyone, I especially thank you scalyfreak for your welcome and inviting me along. I assume that I am not the only one not naturally social. Again I was having a "dark night of the soul" about my walk but I didn't want to lie or explain or worse yet just vanish. Thank you everyone for having me along!

Off topic but since I already brought it up.  I realize that yoga in general can be done daily. Is that true of someone totally out of shape? As I mentioned the excuse to go may be life changing. 

56 minutes ago, Telethot said:

Off topic but since I already brought it up.  I realize that yoga in general can be done daily. Is that true of someone totally out of shape?

Absolutely. Just like we lift weights to become strong, not because we are strong, we do yoga to become flexible and strong, not because we were born double-jointed. (And I do it for the mental and emotional benefits.) In fact, I would say that as long as you are mindful of your body's abilities and limitations, yoga is one of the easiest and cheapest forms of exercise available for someone who is coming from a place of non-activity and is looking for a good place to start taking that first step of their hundred-mile fitness journey.

If you want to do yoga every day, you need to pay a bit of attention to what kind of yoga you do. If you do an hour of poses that really work your leg muscles one day, you will want to do yoga for other parts of your body the following day. Don't push yourself too hard the day before or after you go to your yoga class, for example.

Like nearly everything else fitness related, you can do yoga on your own with the help of YouTube and other online sources, but if you decide to do that, you have to be willing to take on the obligation to learn about yoga, to avoid injuring yourself. Yoga is a form of body weight exercise, and proper form is important. If your knee joint is twisted slightly while holding up your weight for several minutes, for example, you could end up injuring yourself. It is far easier to prevent injury to joints than to rehabilitate them after the damage has been done, and it all comes back to knowing how to get into the pose before holding it. And understanding the importance of going slow, and paying attention to the signals your body sends you.

I highly recommend starting out in the yoga forum here at NF. The Druids, the guild that does yoga (among other cool stuff) have a knowledge base there, and they are very friendly and helpful if you start posting in the forum and ask questions as well.

Last but not least, you're welcome. We're happy to have you here. :) 

• Like 1

On 12/6/2017 at 8:38 AM, farflight said:

I do peppermint tea just because...peppermint..

The throat coat stuff is supposedly "herbal medicine," all I know is my throat feel better and I can talk afterwards (it actually tastes pretty good too).

I found this tea at my local co-op! I did not buy it, due to the licorice root, but I bought a peppermint digestive tea and one that claims to benefit the immune system. It tastes like spicy caramel. :)

2 hours ago, scalyfreak said:

I found this tea at my local co-op! I did not buy it, due to the licorice root, but I bought a peppermint digestive tea and one that claims to benefit the immune system. It tastes like spicy caramel. :)

Licorice and anise are the most repellent flavors to me but if that is the same Throat Coat I used to buy it is barely reminiscent of them. Probably closer to sasparilla if I remember correctly. 

@arcelas I love that song! Posting a link to it becomes even better if you haven't seen the walk challenge thread from November, where I quoted the lyrics in the opening post. :) 

Welcome to the challenge! Please let me know if the spread sheet gives you any kind of attitude. It refused to play nice with a couple of the other challengers.

[mention=49021]arcelas[/mention] I love that song! Posting a link to it becomes even better if you haven't seen the walk challenge thread from November, where I quoted the lyrics in the opening post. [emoji4] 

Welcome to the challenge! Please let me know if the spread sheet gives you any kind of attitude. It refused to play nice with a couple of the other challengers.
I did not see the lyrics lol. And I do love that song. My buddy and I close out our karaoke night with it.

Sent from my SM-N950U1 using Tapatalk

Truth, justice, &...TIGHTS!

Ok, so yesterday I skipped my walk for... excuses: I was tired for the trip and lack of sleep, I had eaten too much (family lunch out), I talked too much with my relatives, it did snow (not much, but it rarely does here, so no one is prepared!)
I was doing so well, that I hate having broken the streak :( I did 1500 steps yesterday, it's outrageous!
But I recouped the daily dare and advent calendar exercises so at least I got SOME movement!

Define "messing up", please?

We're from multiple countries here and use different date formats. Since we are all tracking for our own benefit and not others, format doesn't really matter. If the mess-up is impacting functionality, I will need to do something about it.