Forums are back in action! ×

Any D&D Nerds Out There?

I was going to make me a character sheet for my challenge here and throw it into my blog, so I started looking up races and feats and all that stuff and it got me into wanting to play some D&D.

I have the red box version 4, but it seems too stripped down to be really fun like the older versions were, and I have (had) a good bit of the books too.

My problem is there is nobody nearby that I can find to play with. I tried with some friends a few years back, but two weren't into it very much, and one moved away for college and it was near impossible to get everybody together long enough to understand the rules let alone get a game on. I even checked the local board game shop that used to have games through the week, but a year or two ago they switched to Lego stuff only and don't play games anymore. Now, I'm sad...

Sorry, just felt like ranting about it. Return to your business now.

Level 1 Woodwose

STR 5 | DEX 2 | STA 1 | CON 2 | WIS 5 | CHA 4

WAR 0 | RNG 0 | SCT 0 | ASN 0 | MON 0 | DRU 0 | ADV 1

Current Challenge: Specialization is for Insects

Previous Chapters: 1

D&D since 1982 ... Eek.

Not sure if it's something you'd be interested in but the giant in the playground forum has a section for play by email/Skype etc if that's something you'd be interested in? Never tried it myself ..

"Everyone thinks of changing the world, but no one thinks of changing himself" -- Tolstoy

Not sure if it was buzz or woody that said it though.

Spartan double trifecta progess:

100%
100%

Tough Mudder "10 x Legionnaire":

100.0%
100.0%
"Run ALL the things or die tryin'"
110%
110%

fitocracy Ogre Magi Lvl 16 Ranger STR: 38|DEX: 58|STA: 59|baCON: 34|WIS: 30|CHA: 30

Previously Completed: Spartan Trifecta, Enough TM Headbands to make a ski mask

I've thought about doing it through email, but I figured it would take too long waiting for everybody's move, and that seems counterproductive to getting into the roleplaying mindset. I don't know about Skype though, if it is video, I do not have the internet to do it. If it is chat, that might be doable.

Level 1 Woodwose

I feel your pain. We had a great gaming group in college, and even a little after, but we're all spread out now and it's hard to get a game together. Don't give up, though! You can find gamers in the strangest places. I recently discovered that the parents of one of my academic team kids (who aren't much older than my husband and I) are about to start getting their kids into D&D. For added convenience, they live one street over from us. So we might be able to get something going with them :)

Hobbit Ranger seeking balance (and cookies)

Current Challenge

Used to play weekly in college with friends. Not so much anymore. We tried doing it over Skype and having a nightly meeting for a year or so past college, but was just too hard to consistently get everyone there. Seems like with these real jobs and all, you lose time for things like D&D on a weekly basis.

I shifted to play by post gaming, not quite the same though as the social aspect isn't as good to me.

Half-Ork Scout Leader
Running PRs : 5K 24m16s | 10K 53m32s | 15K 1h18m09s | Half Marathon 2h1m44s | Marathon 4h42m2s 
Past Challenges #1 #2 #3 #4 #5 #6 #7 #8 #9 #10 #11 #12 #13  #14 #15 #16 #17 #18 #19 #20 #21 #22
                               #23 #24 #25 #26 #27 #28 #29 #30 #31 #32 #33 #34 #35 #36 #37 #38 #39 #40
Current Challenge Don't Call It A Comeback

I played through college and used to be a moderator on a 2.5 edition play by post website. Just don't have the time anymore.

Massrandir, Barkûn, Swolórin, The Whey Pilgrim
500 / 330 / 625
Challenges: 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 31 32 34 35 36 39 41 42 45 46 47 48 49 Current Challenge
"No citizen has a right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable. " ~ Socrates
"Friends don't let friends squat high." ~ Chad Wesley Smith
"It's a dangerous business, Brodo, squatting to the floor. You step into the rack, and if you don't keep your form, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to." ~ Gainsdalf

My city has a great gaming club. I've met most of my friends through it (including my boyfriend). When I was in college, I played in 3-5 games a week. Now, usually only 1-2.

I hate D&D though. Hate it with a passion. This is because I was the DM in high school, and all my players were mindless min-maxing, kick in the door rules lawyers. No sense of subtlety, no interest in politics or plot. Hate. I tried playing in a campaign a year or so ago for reasons of misguided nostalgia and having a crush on the GM, and the players were just the same. (DM and I had a nice fling, though.) I like the D&D settings, I hate the players and the system. I'd love to play in a D&D setting by simple, homebrew rules, with players I knew to not be annoying teenagers who start breathing heavily when you get into a "discussion" about all the modifiers on their rolls.

I mostly play in homebrew or indie systems. Played a couple campaigns of In A Wicked Age recently, which I really enjoyed. Very interesting setup. Also one campaign of Apocalypse World, which I can't recommend highly enough, absolutely fantastic! Mouse Guard is great fun too. Cthulhu can be good. Just... no more D&D.

Pain is the feeling of weakness leaving the body.

Blog | Pinterest | Fitocracy

I shifted to play by post gaming, not quite the same though as the social aspect isn't as good to me.

That's the problem with me. I would do play by post or online but the social aspect seems just as important as, if not more so than, the game itself.

That's why I never could get into MUDs either.

Nerd fitness has irc and a lot of nerds....just saying...

Aye, that it does. Hmmm... If I found out how to get IRC working and had time on a weekend, that could be worth trying. I'm not too sure how well it would work though. At least we'd know we won't (shouldn't?) squabble over rolls or rules.

Level 1 Woodwose

Aye, that it does. Hmmm... If I found out how to get IRC working and had time on a weekend, that could be worth trying. I'm not too sure how well it would work though. At least we'd know we won't (shouldn't?) squabble over rolls or rules.

All you need is a bot with a dice-rolling function. :)

Pain is the feeling of weakness leaving the body.

Blog | Pinterest | Fitocracy

i played in college as well- had the best DM on the planet, such a great story teller and always had sound tracks and stuff prepared. Had to stop when we were playing weekly until 6am and i had am 8am class. growing up sucks. I then transitioned into EQ.

My Blog | My Story

Race: Wood Elf | Class: Footpath Ranger Leader

Level18 (STR):44.25 (DEX):37.25 (STA):30 (CON):31.25 (WIS):31.5 (CHA):25.25

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing." -Edmund Burke

"Love does not throw the book at you because love doesn't have a book to throw." -CS Lewis

I have never played D&D but I play tabletop every weekend. I can't get to it at work but I found my current group by basically going to a gamer craigslist site and putting up my info. My college had a club that had a solid gear. That is how I got started. If any rebel would to do a pbp or email rpg I am all for it.

Try everything once. If it kills you don't do it again.Paleo- So Easy A Caveman Can Do It

I have an AD&D group, but we will dissolve since nearly all of us have finished school now and are moving to different cities. I also used to play The Dark Eye, which I liked better than AD&D. It is more detailed about how your skills depend on your attributes ... but that's always in the hands of the gamemaster, too, and I got pretty lucky in that in this regard with the Dark Eye.

My AD&D group OTOH is rather lie ZenGwen described her's ...

[table=width: 600]

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Rix - Level 2 Amazon Assassin

STR 7 | DEX 6 | CON 7 | STA 5 | WIS 7 | CHA 4 | LVL 3

LVL 2 | LVL 1

Work hard, be kind, and amazing things will happen.

Conan O'Brien

[/table]

I've shifted from D&D (in most any form) to Savage Worlds cause its much easier to run and play

Half-Ork Scout Leader
Running PRs : 5K 24m16s | 10K 53m32s | 15K 1h18m09s | Half Marathon 2h1m44s | Marathon 4h42m2s 
Past Challenges #1 #2 #3 #4 #5 #6 #7 #8 #9 #10 #11 #12 #13  #14 #15 #16 #17 #18 #19 #20 #21 #22

YAY Savage Worlds +1

Woot!

Now PEG is looking to make Deadlands Noir!

Half-Ork Scout Leader

http://www.fantasygrounds.com/

I am pretty sure this is the website (I can't access it at work). There is a website that is a chat, dice, map system all in one for online tabletop gaming. Not like play by post or email. Actual dice rolling and stuff.

I'll definitely check that out tomorrow and try the demo. Not enough time today. But it looks promising

Level 1 Woodwose

Woot!

Now PEG is looking to make Deadlands Noir!

As in The US survived the 1800s and is now in the early 1920s time period..... That could be interesting. I am looking forward to them finishing the Reckoners plot books.

Try everything once. If it kills you don't do it again.Paleo- So Easy A Caveman Can Do It

D&D (and/or 3.0/3.5 derivitives; I like Pathfinder a lot), Call of Cthulhu, nWoD, and a smattering of others, plus our homebrewed system, for which we're writing a modern millitary/scifi/horror game.

So, yes.

:D

"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." --GK Chesterton

Domine, non sum dignus ut intres sub tectum meum, sed tantum dic verbo et sanabitur anima mea...

http://www.facebook.com/#!/jbaileysewell

As in The US survived the 1800s and is now in the early 1920s time period..... That could be interesting. I am looking forward to them finishing the Reckoners plot books.

The Kickstarter says 1935.

I've got to see about getting Reckoner plot point books just not high on my list as my home group has more or dispersed

Half-Ork Scout Leader

Archived