Isaac-Newton-PNG-Isolated-HD-133x200.png

Scientia potestas est

Society of the Wise • Est. 1775

The Folly

Russell Square

London, WC1B 7ZF

10th October, 2024

Dear Sara,

I must ask you to repeat this unit next session. I don't feel we have completed the material covered.

I will make a few additions. These additions will be increasingly favorable to you if you finish this week strong. (It will not be a 'villain era'. However, I can sanction certain departures from Folly tradition.)

Yours,

Thomas Nightingale

Detective Chief Inspector, Metropolitan Police

Acting President, Society of the Wise

• Like 4

I felt like I could run forever, like I could smell the wind and feel the grass under my feet, and just run forever.

Current Challenge: #24 - Mrs. Cosmopolite Challenge

Past: #1, #2, #3, #4, #5, #6,  #7#8, #9#10, #11a & #11b, #12, #13, #14, #15, #16, #17, #18, #19, #20, #21, #22, #23

9 hours ago, Mad Hatter said:

Did you go to bed?

11 minutes ago, Snarkyfishguts said:

BUT DID YOU SLEEP?

Slight progress was made. Um. A bit of it.

• Like 4

I felt like I could run forever, like I could smell the wind and feel the grass under my feet, and just run forever.

Past: #1, #2, #3, #4, #5, #6,  #7#8, #9#10, #11a & #11b, #12, #13, #14, #15, #16, #17, #18, #19, #20, #21, #22, #23

I feel like crap today. Sinus headaches, muscle spasms in my back, weak, achy... nothing awful, just low-level crap. So I took a walk. Not a big one. I feel too crappy for a big one. But maybe I'll take another one later.

Dog Sitting GIF by All Creatures Great And Small

• Like 6

7 hours ago, sarakingdom said:

Slight progress was made. Um. A bit of it.

It counts.

12 minutes ago, sarakingdom said:

I feel like crap today. Sinus headaches, muscle spasms in my back, weak, achy... nothing awful, just low-level crap. So I took a walk. Not a big one. I feel too crappy for a big one. But maybe I'll take another one later.

Dog Sitting GIF by All Creatures Great And Small

boo to feeling bad. I hope the walk helped? I like slow walks. I hope you feel better

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Snarkyfishguts said:

boo to feeling bad. I hope the walk helped?

I don't know, but I can certainly say I have taken a walk, and that is an improvement over not having taken a walk.

• Like 5

14 minutes ago, sarakingdom said:

I don't know, but I can certainly say I have taken a walk, and that is an improvement over not having taken a walk.

Taking a walk is rarely a regretted action.  Happy you could claim that victory, hope you start feeling much better. 

• Like 3

We are not sinners trespassing in the garden of an angry God.

We are prodigals come home; fully seen and deeply loved.

Spoiler

Whichever evil river snuck this into my YouTube feed, first, that's pretty cool, and second, you can fuck right off with that hint. Absolutely not.

• Haha 6

Yesterday I took a small walk and did a small strength workout and did a small meditation. They were not proper sized, but they were done. (I also dressed a little bit well, but no tie.)

• Like 5

On 10/5/2024 at 9:36 PM, sarakingdom said:

(In the interests of being social, I'd like to extend this invitation particularly to other people who might appreciate a short period of letting themselves be awful or the problem in a dark gothic witch coffeeshop, like @Rhovaniel, @Sovalis, and, guessing from how long since she's been seen in these parts, @Scaly Freak . Villains unite.)

I accept! This sounds wonderful. And if we're not masking or hiding the problem.... aaah. Lemme just sink into this armchair and stare at nothing in particular for a while to reset my brain, thanks :) 

Hope you're feeling better today Sara. Go drink some water! :D Or tea. Or tea WITH water. Hot and cold hydration!

• Like 2

“All You Have To Decide Is What To Do With The Time That Is Given To You.” - Gandalf

Journey to the Mountain of Knowledge - Chapter One: A Pocketful of hope (current challenge)

Spoiler

Previous Challenges: 1|2|3|4|5|6|7|8|9|10|11|12|13 1415|16|17|18|19|20|21|22|23|24|25|26|2728 29|30 A Bold New Year   Rhovaniel forges herself anew 

The Chronicles of Rhovaniel, Dúnedain Ranger: Vol I, Vol IIVol III, Interim| Vol IV|Vol V 

7 hours ago, Rhovaniel said:

Lemme just sink into this armchair and stare at nothing in particular for a while to reset my brain, thanks :) 

Encouraged. No one will say a word.

I could use a few more visits to the coffee shop of communal antisocialness. I'm doing pretty good, but my brain slips when it's tired. A cozy place to park it for a few hours to rest wouldn't be bad.

7 hours ago, Rhovaniel said:

Go drink some water! :D Or tea. Or tea WITH water. Hot and cold hydration!

It is indeed the season for both! I even made high-hydration soup and added rehydration salts to it. Water just doesn't always go down quickly in quantity.

• Like 5

Things to do before my next challenge:

1. Order more vampires
  2. Organize the vampires I have
  3. Get my new magic practice schedule from Nightingale
  4. Get my new horrible boarding school discipline instructions from Nightingale
  5. Do Halloween baking
  6. Write magical holidays on my calendar

black and white vampire GIF

• Like 7

36 minutes ago, Everstorm said:

What does Halloween baking consist of?

Pumpkin cookies, pumpkin cake, possibly a cranberry curd tart if I'm feeling ambitious, candied nuts. I might get ambitious and try a pumpkin spice sandwich cookie.

No Halloween candy fits my macros, and I want to celebrate Halloween, so I need to do it myself. Alas.

• Like 5

What is your preferred method for making candied nuts?

I have tried a simple approach of tossing with butter, sugar and salt and baking them. Not a win. 

There is a shop near the dojo that makes wonderful candied pecans. They are addictive. And expensive. Of course, they are not revealing their recipe. 

I would like glazed walnuts and pecans for salads (and snacking).

Level 80  Viking paladin

My current challenge  Battle log 

1 hour ago, Mistr said:

What is your preferred method for making candied nuts?

I have tried a simple approach of tossing with butter, sugar and salt and baking them. Not a win. 

I don't have one yet, but I know I can with the ingredients available.

My understanding is that the oven method tends to requires an egg white, and the butter and sugar only method tends to require making a stovetop syrup.

Ugh, I'm just so tired of nuts and cooking from scratch and worthy homemade foods. I want things that come in boxes. In technicolor wrappers. Highly artificial colors and flavors, and cute shapes. Things made by other people into bite-sized hyper-palatable pieces I can mindlessly snack on during a horror movie marathon.

• Like 2

Whichever annoying wizard snuck this into my YouTube feed, first, that's nice, and second, no, not even if it were feasible. (But maybe I'll remember to put your weekly game on the TV more often.)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Mmm, have been hiding, but absolutely  loved and appreciated your invitation to the CoffeeKlatch. ❤️ Thank you. 

Meryl Streep Thank You GIF by patternbase

• Like 4

Past Challenges: #1, #2#3#4#5#6#7#8#9#10#11#12#13#14#15#16

Current Challenge: #17

“Finish each day and be done with it. You have done what you could. Some blunders and absurdities no doubt crept in; forget them as soon as you can. Tomorrow is a new day. You shall begin it serenely and with too high a spirit to be encumbered with your old nonsense.” Ralph Waldo Emerson

Well, I finally started the ginger liqueur/infusion I meant to do over the summer. The added benefit of procrastination is that I'm making it with ginger that I grew. (Not much in this climate, but I don't need much.)

Next up, fennel. I feel like I should probably make this magical and kitchen witchy, given the season and the challenge theme. I'm not really very good at that, though.

• Like 4

Also hydrated a bit and took a walk after lunch.

Today is not an easy day, but stuff will get done, dammit.

angry walt disney GIF

• Like 4
  • That's Metal 1

32 minutes ago, Mistr said:

Wow, you grew your own ginger?!?

It's not really worth doing anywhere that isn't tropical, except I was in the mood to Plant All The Things. Ginger needs a really long growing season, like ten months of warmth. I can't give it that, but I can get a little baby growth. A few knobs. (Cue snickering.)

It also does well indoors as a houseplant. As long a growing season as it likes, that way. It just needs a wide pot, it spreads horizontally. Just jam in some stuff from the grocery store and water it.

• Like 3