Forums are back in action! ×

What's everyone reading?

The Wheel of Time series. Currently in the 5th? book, out of 25.

Translation to Finnish messed with the numbers, I guess.

Given I tend to grow fond of characters in long series,

I am very happy. Well written, and not predictable.

All in all, this far it has felt like a grandfather telling a grand, exciting story

to the whole village, in the huge living room, and everyone leans in to listen closer.

And there's still 20-something novels to go!

Very happy.

Edit: Thought it for a moment and the detail, writing, and the pace of the books add to a feeling of the fantasy worlds' depth.

What you're reading is just a small part of what is happening around you. Erm, in the book.

"There is beauty in hardship / There are poems in grief" -Assemblage 23, Damaged

| STR:2.25 | DEX:2.25 | STA:2 | CON:1.25 | CHA:3.25 | WIS:7 | A place I will collect my woots - if I remember

Challenges | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 |  6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 15.115.2 |

Milythaels'  HOoRAY for which I am grateful | Today, right now, I am alive. And that is good.

It is amazing the power of those small gestures of love and kindness have on our lives. <3 - Liberator

"I myself am made entirely of flaws, stiched together with good intentions." - Augusten Burroughs, Magical thinking:True stories

"Pick up the pieces and keep going, one painfully slow step at a time." Hiraedd the twice-risen, hamadryad. 

"Spread love and understanding. Use force if necessary." - Leon Trotsky

"Let me think about the people I care about the most, and when they fail or disappoint me, I still love them, I still give them chances, and I still see the best in them. Let me extend that generosity to myself." zefrank1, An Invocation for Beginnings

"I don't feel guilty for wanting. That's like being mad because you have to breathe or pee. It just is." Someone in Reddit

"If you do strange things, strange things will happen!"

"That's it! Now go make something beautiful." -Jake Parker

I'm reading Sojourn- Legend of Drizzt (Forgotten Realms: The Dark Elf Trilogy, #3) by R. A. Salvatore

and 

Brown Girl Dreaming by Jacqueline Woodson. 

I'm also reading Farmer Boy by Laura Ingalls Wilder with my 11 year old daughter.

Teal Flitterneedle

Level 0 Halfling Adventurer

STR 0 | DEX 0 | STA 0 | CON 0 | WIS 0| CHA 0

A lot of Lovecraftian horror fans actually will admit that Howard P. Lovecraft was an overwrought, pulpy, racist writer.  Like certain other fandoms, the legend is better than the kernel.  "Call of Cthulhu" and "Arkham Horror" can, if well played, produce better narratives than Lovecraft himself ever did.

still, it's definitely worth peeking at the source material.

Amen to that!  There's a lot of Lovecraft pastiches out there.  A particular favorite is "The Great Old Pumpkin" by John Aegard. 

http://www.strangehorizons.com/2004/20041025/pumpkin-f.shtml

"If you get into trouble, you can always eat something, blow something up, or throw penguins." - Jim Henson

I´ve been reading devouring "Worm" by J. McCrae (AKA Wildbow). The best thing I´ve read in a long time (And the guy is not even a published author, but I think he should be). Oh, and you can read it for free here: http://parahumans.wordpress.com  (and you´ll be left wondering when can you get them as books... no ETA yet though, sigh)

Its fiction, set in a world where superpowers exist... and it follows the story of a girl who happens to get them...

Summary:

An introverted teenage girl with an unconventional superpower, Taylor goes out in costume to find escape from a deeply unhappy and frustrated civilian life. Her first attempt at taking down a supervillain sees her mistaken for one, thrusting her into the midst of the local ‘cape’ scene’s politics, unwritten rules, and ambiguous morals. As she risks life and limb, Taylor faces the dilemma of having to do the wrong things for the right reasons.

Be warned though: it is dark. EPIC, but very dark. In fact, the very homepage states:

Readers should be cautioned that Worm is fairly dark as fiction goes, and it gets far darker as the story progresses.  Morality isn’t black and white, Taylor and her acquaintances aren’t invincible, the heroes aren’t winning the war between right and wrong, and superpowers haven’t necessarily affected society for the better...

Even so, I have not been able to stop reading (it is loooong, as in over 1.6 million words long according to the author´s patreon page), and as soon as I´m done with it, I´ll dig right into another one of his web serials...

• Like 1

"Unfocused" Wizard // Rationalist of the order of Bayes

Lvl 5 Assassin. Lvl 33 Jack of all trades. 7 STR|6 DEX|7 STA|7 CON|16 WIS|8 CHA

Current challenge Wizard in the making: ero san's continuing road of magic

My drawings Sketchbook, Other afiliations The Loft

Just finished The Declaration on audio...highly recommend it. Would be a super quick read, futuristic society story focused on a girl who is 'surplus' since people aren't allowed to have children...Don't want to describe much because half the fun is discovering the background.

Currently reading the great book of Amber. Awesome so far (couple books in)

Sent from my XT1031 using Tapatalk

#1 #2 #3 #3.1 #4 #5 #6 #7 #8 #9 #10 #11 #12 #13 #13.5 #14 #15 #16 # 17 #18 #19 #20 #21

Current Challenge

Battle Log

Level 18 Pixie Ranger

Its fiction, set in a world where superpowers exist... and it follows the story of a girl who happens to get them...

Summary:

An introverted teenage girl with an unconventional superpower, Taylor goes out in costume to find escape from a deeply unhappy and frustrated civilian life. Her first attempt at taking down a supervillain sees her mistaken for one, thrusting her into the midst of the local ‘cape’ scene’s politics, unwritten rules, and ambiguous morals. As she risks life and limb, Taylor faces the dilemma of having to do the wrong things for the right reasons.

Be warned though: it is dark. EPIC, but very dark. In fact, the very homepage states:

Readers should be cautioned that Worm is fairly dark as fiction goes, and it gets far darker as the story progresses.  Morality isn’t black and white, Taylor and her acquaintances aren’t invincible, the heroes aren’t winning the war between right and wrong, and superpowers haven’t necessarily affected society for the better...

A while ago I flipped through "Steelheart" by Brandon Sanderson.  It could be summed up as: "What if the X-Men were evil?"  And it's from the viewpoint of the folks who AREN'T supers.  They live in a scary world.

I liked the premise, at least, although the story didn't snag me enough to buy the book.  maybe I'll check this one out since it's free. ^^

• Like 1

Every saint has a past, and every sinner has a future.

Hylian Assassin 5'5", 143 lbs.
Half-marathon: 3:02
It is pitch dark. You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

I've been reading the four book series of The Long Price Quartet by Daniel Abraham (starts with A Shadow in Summer). I absolutely love it, both the plotline and the writing itself are great. I'm on the fourth book, and I'm almost sad to finish it.

Also listening to The Book of Strange New Things by Michael Faber. Am about halfway through, enjoying it, and really curious to see where it goes.... definitely not my usual fare!

Current Challenge #39 - 15.02.23  |  Challenges: #38, #29  |  Fitocracy: redtomato501

Recently started Red Storm Rising by Tom Clancy.

Level 1 Nord  Epic Quest

STR 3 | DEX 3 | STA 2 | CON 3 | WIS 3.5 | CHA 4

Original Challenge | 1ST | 2nd | joining the bebopReturn to the rangers |

Spoiler

"They wouldn't mind a corpse of you. Now, you can luxuriate in a nice jail cell, but if your hand touches metal, I swear, by my pretty floral bonnet, I will end you." - Mal

Recently started Red Storm Rising by Tom Clancy.

Oh man, get into the early Jack Ryan stuff next if you haven't already (RSR isn't Jack Ryan, I know). The Cardinal of the Kremlin is my favorite of those books, but Without Remorse and Clear and Present Danger are up there as well (I'm a big John Clark fan if you couldn't tell). Quality slips a little after The Bear and the Dragon, but overall a very good series. 

Oh man, get into the early Jack Ryan stuff next if you haven't already (RSR isn't Jack Ryan, I know). The Cardinal of the Kremlin is my favorite of those books, but Without Remorse and Clear and Present Danger are up there as well (I'm a big John Clark fan if you couldn't tell). Quality slips a little after The Bear and the Dragon, but overall a very good series. 

Thus far the only Tom Clancy books ive read have been Rainbow Six (my first) then a couple of the net force books.

Level 1 Nord  Epic Quest

STR 3 | DEX 3 | STA 2 | CON 3 | WIS 3.5 | CHA 4

Original Challenge | 1ST | 2nd | joining the bebopReturn to the rangers |

Spoiler

"They wouldn't mind a corpse of you. Now, you can luxuriate in a nice jail cell, but if your hand touches metal, I swear, by my pretty floral bonnet, I will end you." - Mal

Started Flipped this morning, it's ones of those books I always come back to, even though it's a middle school level book. Something about it I just adore. I shouldn't have picked it for my bus book though, I always find the chapters on Juli's Sycamore tree get to me. 

I'm also reading The Golden Book of Faerie as a bedside book (since it's so big!), combining The Hunter's Moon, The Summer King, The Light-Bearer’s Daughter, and The Book of Dreams by O.R. Melling. I got this book at a used book fair over a year ago so it's great to finally give it a read. Unless I really get into it, I'll probably be alternating between this and a couple other books for my nighttime reading.

I also bought The Name of the Wind the other day. I wanted the smaller version so I could throw it in my purse to read on the bus but they didn't have any in stock, so I got the larger version. Probably won't be starting it for a while, though. 

Just read "Shadows of the Empire," an old (very old now, I guess!) Star Wars book I picked out of a freebie bin.  I don't usually read tie-in books but hey, free is free.

Much cheesy, though still readable.  It's strongest in the combat scenes and the dialogue.

Every saint has a past, and every sinner has a future.

Hylian Assassin 5'5", 143 lbs.
Half-marathon: 3:02
It is pitch dark. You are likely to be eaten by a grue.