Forums are back in action! ×

Comic Books and Graphic Novels: What are you reading?

Raikas

I love graphic novels, comic books and manga but I've been so busy lately. I think the last one I read was either a scan of one of the original Lupin III series, a bit of that Miles Edgeworth or Ace Attorney things or a Black Butler book.

Before that, it might have been some old Doctor Who comics from the library or one from one of the recent Doctor Who magazines.

Calorie Counting/ Nutrition Tracking for a year on MyFitnessPal+Fitbit One (365 days = .27% per day, Day 74):

19.98%
19.98%

New Year's Resolution - Healthy Weight/BMI for Summer (June 1st, Get to about 130 lbs/22 BMI approx. in 152 days/21 weeks starting from 153 lbs = 4.35% per pound, currently 142):

47.85%
47.85%

Graduate Culinary School {20% per section: F.O.H. ( A ), Hot Foods ( C ), Garde Manger [Cold Foods], Bakeshop, Test}     Passed Certifications: ServSafe, Management

40%
40%

Fitbit, MyFitnessPal

Intro  Challenges: 1 2 Reset 3

Finished most of my graphic novels (they should be on my list at Goodreads).

I'm subbed to Wonder Woman, Black Widow, Ms. Marvel, and Harley Quinn. Probably going to stop Quinn here soon, not very interesting and kinda random. Was subbed to Star Wars, but since Dark Horse is stopping and Marvel will be picking it up, I'm waiting to see what they do with it. 

Just found a classic manga at the library: GeGeGe no Kitaro! Kitaro is a 350-year-old spirit kid who fights malevolent monsters and ghosts, and occasionally schools unbelieving humans.  He's got one eye, a detachable hand that he can control remotely, rocket-powered geta sandals, magic-detecting hair, and a vest woven from the hair of his ancestors.  His semi-reincarnated father (who's just an eyeball on a tiny little body) lives in his empty eye socket and gives him advice.  It's sort of like the original Addams Family cartoons.

The artist, Shigeru Mizuki, drew heavily on Japanese folklore for his plot lines and characters.  So you get critters like Nurikabe, who is a giant wall that appears in front of you.  No matter how hard you try, you can't get around him.  Or Ittamomen, who is a flying strip of cloth that wraps itself around your head to smother you, or Okamuro, who is a giant head that pops out of doorways and says 'Boo!' The manga is very famous in Japan and has been made into several TV series, games and movies.

I took a course on mythology in college; the professor was a contemporary of Joseph Campbell, and specialized in Japanese folklore.  He showed us several episodes of 'GeGeGe no Kitaro' as part of the class.  I've been looking for it ever since.

"If you get into trouble, you can always eat something, blow something up, or throw penguins." - Jim Henson

Currently on-going comics I'm reading are all the Spider-Verse books, Thor, and Captain Marvel.

I'm waiting for Pretty Deadly to come back for it's next arc as well as the next Rat Queens and Saga trades 

I picked up the two Five Ghost trades which are pretty great pulp books

Half-Ork Scout Leader
Running PRs : 5K 24m16s | 10K 53m32s | 15K 1h18m09s | Half Marathon 2h1m44s | Marathon 4h42m2s 
Past Challenges #1 #2 #3 #4 #5 #6 #7 #8 #9 #10 #11 #12 #13  #14 #15 #16 #17 #18 #19 #20 #21 #22
                               #23 #24 #25 #26 #27 #28 #29 #30 #31 #32 #33 #34 #35 #36 #37 #38 #39 #40
Current Challenge Don't Call It A Comeback

Archived