Forums are back in action! ×

New guy from Kansas.

Hey, everyone. I've been lurking for a while and thought I'd finally introduce myself. I'll keep this short and sweet. My name is Dan and I'm 33. I have worked out on and off again for a number of years. Over the past couple of years, everything has kind of fallen by the wayside. I've had a couple of job changes, school, been diagnosed with anxiety and mild depression and had surgery to correct some bulging discs in my lower back that were pinching nerves in my right leg. Right now, I'm at the worst shape I've ever been in in my life and I absolutely hate it. I have no motivation to do anything and it makes me feel like a horrible husband and parent.

So, I'm here looking for support, motivation and maybe a swift kick in the @ss to get me going again.

Congratulations for joining the rebellion and this is a great place for support and swift kicks. Unfortunately, we cannot motivate you directly, you must find a motivation within yourself. In otherwords, you must kick your own donkey. One thing that can help is to look at others' success stories and begin to want success for yourself. You have within you the motivated, fit individual who is a good husband and parent, you just need to unleash it. You are already amazing, you just haven't proven it yet. You are already beginning your journey, you just don't know it yet. Get mad, get angry, and funnel that energy into fitness!

Current Challenge

"By the Most-Righteous-and-Blessed Beard of Sir Tanktimus the Encourager!" - Jarl Rurik Harrgath

Welcome Dan208! What are some of your goals?

GoodReads  MyFitnessPal

Spoiler

Previous Challenges: 2020: 1.20  - 2019: 1.19 l 2.19

2018: 1.18 l  2.18 l 3.18 l 4.18 l 5.18 l 6.18 l 7.18

2017: 1.17 I 2.17 I 3.17 I 4.17 I 5.17 l 6.17 l 7.17 l 8.17 I 9.17 l 10.17  

2016: 1.16 l 2.16 l DA v.1 l DA v.2 I DA v.2 Reloaded I DA v.3 I DA v.4 I 8.16 I 9.16 I DA v.5 I 11.16 

2012: 1 2013: 2 l 3 l 4 l 5 l 6 l 7 l 8 2014: 9 l 10 l Not Done Yet l Time to Conquer l  Conquering 

HFC for Life!

Thanks, tanktimus. Hopefully my wife and I can motivate each other.

Jonesy-Other than getting in overall better shape/feeling better, I'd like to get rid of my spare tire (skinnyfat), get stronger and improve my conditioning (I'm a volunteer firefighter). I want to look good nekkid too. :)

Those are good goals. The next question is why do you want those things?

I'm tired of feeling bloated/slow/exhausted/etc. I want more energy so I can get back to my almost OCD ways of keeping a clean house. I hope that looking/feeling better will help with my self esteem and depression issues. I NEED to be strong and in shape so I'm not a liability to the fire department. I also forgot to mention that I was born with a heart condition (coarctation of the aorta and a bicuspid aortic valve) and will need a valve replacement sometime in the distant future. I want to be in shape before that happens so I can hopefully bounce back faster.

Those are great reasons to get healthy! The next step is to figure out some intermediate steps along the way, then figure out how you'll reach the first set of steps. You can do this!

Current Challenge

"By the Most-Righteous-and-Blessed Beard of Sir Tanktimus the Encourager!" - Jarl Rurik Harrgath

Those are great reasons to get healthy! The next step is to figure out some intermediate steps along the way, then figure out how you'll reach the first set of steps. You can do this!

I guess some intermediate steps would be to actually be able to do pullups and weighted dips again. One long term goal I have is handstand pushups.

Hi Dan. I've been doing the beginner's body weight and intervals since late June, and it has really helped lift my depression. I think eating better has had some impact as well. The nice thing about the BBW and intervals, is that they can be tailored to anyone's starting point and can be done at home with essentially no equipment (and your wife can do the same workout if she wants). You can start a battle log and/or you can join the challenge (already in progress). The nice thing about the challenge is it forces you to set some concrete goals and plans. You'll need to join a guild (profession), and then just post a thread in the appropriate forum.

The hardest part of the workout is lacing up your shoes'"

1011 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | Current Challenge |

INTJ | MFP | FitBit

Archived