Forums are back in action! ×

Who saw the premiere of The Hobbit?

Elastigirl

I'm going next week. I could have gone last night or tonight (or tomorrow for that matter), but I'm waiting to go with the guy I'm kinda dating when we both have the night off.

Theatresara: Wig Stylist and Interactive Performer extraordinaire 

Current Challenge Thread   http://rebellion.nerdfitness.com/index.php?/topic/73790-theatresara-joins-the-scouts/

Main Quest:  Lose 30 Pounds

0%
0%

I'm going with a group of friends in a few hours! No spoilers please!

In fact, we should probably create a different room for people who have already seen it and want to talk about it.

TheRedWriter

Level 3 Doppelganger Ranger
"Think not that you have to win. Think instead that you do not have to loose."
STR 8|DEX 4.5|STA 11|CON 6|WIS 6.5|CHA 5

Have seen it, no spoilers here I promise. I liked it, have read the book and will say that it's different but for reasons. If you liked the Lord of the Rings trilogy you will probably like it. I saw it in the High Frame Rate 3D (I work for a theater chain so it's been the big buzz of late, had to check it out) and from my past experience with 3D films I will say that this one seems to do the 3D well. Not a lot of things that jump out at you to make you go "Oh wow, 3D!" more of adding depth to the field in general. The HFR was a nice improvement to 3D in my opinion, though it did take a little getting used to, as it allowed for a lot better detail and resolving power in fast motion scenes adding a bit of realism to the viewing experience often lost with films compared to seeing things in reality, and especially with 3D. The downside to that though is that it can in some cases appear almost "too real" or like a video game.

As to my earlier statement that the movie differed from the book for reasons. The reasons behind the differing are, apparently, that Jackson based the films on not only the book but on Tolkiens notes as to how he planned to update the book for a future release to be more thematically in line with the trilogy, ie geared toward a more adult audience than the Hobbit was, and by tying together certain plot elements between the two works.

So there you have it, my spoiler free review of the film and me saying "if you have liked related properties in the past you will most likely enjoy this in whichever format you typically find you enjoy films. Happy movie going.

Scout 30/Ranger 1 (3 skipped)

Spoiler

"I must not fear. / Fear is the mind-killer.
Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration.
I will face my fear.
I will permit it to pass over me and through me.
And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path.
Where the fear has gone there will be nothing......Only I will remain."
-Litany Against Fear

Facebook | Twitter | Runkeeper | Strava
Shukar Still Isn't Lion

It was fantastic though the theater almost did me in for the show when they showed the Pacific Rim Trailer before the movie. After seeing that, I kind of just wanted to go see giant robots battle cthuhlu.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Level 1 Human Ranger

STR: 2|DEX: 2|STA: 2|CON: 3|WIS: 4|CHA: 2|

It's a TRAP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I went with my family (mom, dad and little brother). It was my dad's first day off in ages so he wanted the family to go to the cinema, I looked up times and The Hobbit was out!! We went on Friday (the day of the premiere) without prior planning, and the movie was absolutely amazing.

Thanks for reading my signature, but it's got nothing of relevance in it I'm afraid!

It was fantastic though the theater almost did me in for the show when they showed the Pacific Rim Trailer before the movie. After seeing that, I kind of just wanted to go see giant robots battle cthuhlu.

I have to admit I thought that movie looked odd. But then I'm not a big giant robot fighting fan. We also saw the preview of Oblivion, which I thought looked good

I went with my family (mom, dad and little brother). It was my dad's first day off in ages so he wanted the family to go to the cinema, I looked up times and The Hobbit was out!! We went on Friday (the day of the premiere) without prior planning, and the movie was absolutely amazing.

Glad you had fun. I'm surprised that you were able to get into the show and the tickets weren't sold out

Wisdom 22.5   Dexterity 13   Charisma 15   Strength 21  Constitution-13

"Love the Lord your God with all your heart, and with all your soul, and with all your strength, and with all your mind' Luke 10; 27

Saw it on Sunday. Really enjoyed it. We saw it in 3-D. We were sitting in the 3rd row and so at times the 3D was overwhleming. It was a little hard to watch some of the scenes made me sort of dizzy. But the stone giant scene in 3D was incredible.

I loved the storyline. The movie was 3 hours long, which is a bit longer than my attention span. So the middle seemed a bit long. But there was lots of great scenes and I felt it was well worth the money.

And most importantly, I think Bilbo Baggins should be an honary member of the Nerd Fitness Rebellion. He is a simple halfling Hobbit, who prefers his books, and his quiet home. When Gandalf comes, he has a choice to make. Will he stay in his quiet home or will he go on an adventure and see what lays beyond the Shire? Bilbo is short, likes to eat a lot, and likes things comfortable and predictable. He feels like he doesn't really belong with the group of adventurers, that he is not up to the task, that he does not have the skills necessary for the task. When he decides to step out his front door and go on the adventure he makes a decision that will change him forever.

"Love the Lord your God with all your heart, and with all your soul, and with all your strength, and with all your mind' Luke 10; 27

Saw it on Sunday. Really enjoyed it. We saw it in 3-D. We were sitting in the 3rd row and so at times the 3D was overwhleming. It was a little hard to watch some of the scenes made me sort of dizzy. But the stone giant scene in 3D was incredible.

I loved the storyline. The movie was 3 hours long, which is a bit longer than my attention span. So the middle seemed a bit long. But there was lots of great scenes and I felt it was well worth the money.

And most importantly, I think Bilbo Baggins should be an honary member of the Nerd Fitness Rebellion. He is a simple halfling Hobbit, who prefers his books, and his quiet home. When Gandalf comes, he has a choice to make. Will he stay in his quiet home or will he go on an adventure and see what lays beyond the Shire? Bilbo is short, likes to eat a lot, and likes things comfortable and predictable. He feels like he doesn't really belong with the group of adventurers, that he is not up to the task, that he does not have the skills necessary for the task. When he decides to step out his front door and go on the adventure he makes a decision that will change him forever.

Really liked his stand against the white orc. One little hobbit against such big odds. It was inspiring

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Level 1 Human Ranger

STR: 2|DEX: 2|STA: 2|CON: 3|WIS: 4|CHA: 2|

It's a TRAP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I watched it on Saturday on quite enjoyed the film. The additions Peter Jackson made to the story are fortunately not annoying. My only critisism is that it is just too long. A crsip 2 hour would have done just fine.

Level 1

STR: 3 | DEX: 2 | CON: 2 | STA: 3 | WIS: 3 | CHA: 3

Really liked his stand against the white orc. One little hobbit against such big odds. It was inspiring

It was very inspring. Go Bilbo!

I attempted to go yesterday but a fire broke out in one of the theaters so our showing was cancelled. :( I was so excited and now have to wait!

GoodReads  MyFitnessPal

Spoiler

Previous Challenges: 2020: 1.20  - 2019: 1.19 l 2.19

2018: 1.18 l  2.18 l 3.18 l 4.18 l 5.18 l 6.18 l 7.18

2017: 1.17 I 2.17 I 3.17 I 4.17 I 5.17 l 6.17 l 7.17 l 8.17 I 9.17 l 10.17  

2016: 1.16 l 2.16 l DA v.1 l DA v.2 I DA v.2 Reloaded I DA v.3 I DA v.4 I 8.16 I 9.16 I DA v.5 I 11.16 

2012: 1 2013: 2 l 3 l 4 l 5 l 6 l 7 l 8 2014: 9 l 10 l Not Done Yet l Time to Conquer l  Conquering 

HFC for Life!

I attempted to go yesterday but a fire broke out in one of the theaters so our showing was cancelled. :( I was so excited and now have to wait!

Really?! Wow.. At least it is a good story, but wow what a disappointment

Really?! Wow.. At least it is a good story, but wow what a disappointment

I took my drink outside with me so I got a free drink + 24oz glass cup. Oh and there were cute firemen...so not a total loss. :)

GoodReads  MyFitnessPal

Spoiler

2016: 1.16 l 2.16 l DA v.1 l DA v.2 I DA v.2 Reloaded I DA v.3 I DA v.4 I 8.16 I 9.16 I DA v.5 I 11.16 

2012: 1 2013: 2 l 3 l 4 l 5 l 6 l 7 l 8 2014: 9 l 10 l Not Done Yet l Time to Conquer l  Conquering 

HFC for Life!

A friend sort of forgot to tell me that I was invited and I only ended up going because he'd bought the ticket and sent another friend to pick me up... No warning at all.

I thought it was pretty good. There were more than a few changes from canon, but I'm hard pressed to say that they weren't reasonable or even good changes. The acting was fantastic and there were many moments to make a fan go "Squee!".

Space_Elf, Fallohide Hobbit Level 0. STR 0 | DEX 0 | STA 0 | CON 0 | WIS 0 | CHA 0

Battle Log | 

Science fiction is an existential metaphor, that allows us to tell stories about the human condition. Isaac Asimov once said: "Individual science fiction stories may seem as trivial as ever to the blinder critics and philosophers of today, but the core of science fiction, its essence has become crucial to our salvation, if we are to be saved at all."

I took my drink outside with me so I got a free drink + 24oz glass cup. Oh and there were cute firemen...so not a total loss. :)
s

Well that is good. And I just noticed you were from WA. We saw the movie in downtown Seattle, which was a treat

s

Well that is good. And I just noticed you were from WA. We saw the movie in downtown Seattle, which was a treat

I have a week off of work so I'm thinking I might see it sometime during the day.

GoodReads  MyFitnessPal

Spoiler

HFC for Life!

Me! I saw it at midnight opening night. And yes, it's not exactly action packed, but the dwarves of "The Hobbit" have always been my favourite part of Middle-Earth so I was happy with it regardless.

I sing in a chorus here in Michigan that has done the "Lord of the Rings LIVE!" concert series. Basically the film plays without the soundtrack and our chorus and orchestra perform the score in sync with the film. We've done all three LotRs movies. One result is an even greater attachment to the movies than just my usual nerd level attachment. Another is that I'm going to have to go see it again so that I can watch without being distracted by figuring out the musical stuff.

[TABLE=width: 700, align: left]

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

LVL 1

STR 1.5

DEX 3

STA 3

DRUID

CON 2.5

WIS 2

CHA 3

NIGHTSHIFTER

@Dreadful_Girl

Fitocracy

Introduction

DREADFUL GIRL

"Insanity: doing the same thing over

and over again and expecting different results."

~ Albert Einstein

[/TABLE]

Saw it last saturday. It's a very slow starter. Also, the 3D appeared to cause frame drag during quick movement (I watched 24 fps), which was annoying.

Overall pretty good, though.

See, now I loved the beginning. I loved its ode to the LOTR and the feel of it all. Agree with the frame drag in 3D though.

Me! I saw it at midnight opening night. And yes, it's not exactly action packed, but the dwarves of "The Hobbit" have always been my favourite part of Middle-Earth so I was happy with it regardless.

I sing in a chorus here in Michigan that has done the "Lord of the Rings LIVE!" concert series. Basically the film plays without the soundtrack and our chorus and orchestra perform the score in sync with the film. We've done all three LotRs movies. One result is an even greater attachment to the movies than just my usual nerd level attachment. Another is that I'm going to have to go see it again so that I can watch without being distracted by figuring out the musical stuff.

That sounds so amazing. I love the LOTR music. I love it so much I often work out to it. So maybe I shouldn't come to the concerts or I'd feel compelled to start swinging my kettlebell or something:welcoming:

I love the LOTR music. I love it so much I often work out to it.

Lucky! I can't work out to it. (I've tried).

Howard Shore, the composer, wrote the music so that certain themes and instruments go with certain characters, races, objects, etc. Now that I'm clued in to that I can't listen to the music without basically seeing the story in my mind. And then, I get very distracted. I'll have no idea how many reps I've done, because I'll have been too wrapped up in that last fight scene. It's a bit like trying to work out while listening to a really good audiobook.

My compromise with me is that I listen to it while running. On the treadmill, where cars can't hit me and the machine keeps track of time and distance.

[TABLE=width: 700, align: left]

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

LVL 1

STR 1.5

DEX 3

STA 3

DRUID

CON 2.5

WIS 2

CHA 3

NIGHTSHIFTER

@Dreadful_Girl

Fitocracy

Introduction

DREADFUL GIRL

"Insanity: doing the same thing over

and over again and expecting different results."

~ Albert Einstein

[/TABLE]

Saw it and I'm very, very happy that they kept in the industrialization and technological reachings of the orcs/goblins with a lot of their city. That's a major theme from all of the Middle Earth stuff and I was disappointed at how downplayed the nature vs technology was in the LOTR films.

Archived