Forums are back in action! ×

Tabletop/Board Games

So glad I found this thread! Thanks to everyone for all the great suggestions. 

I'll just throw in some of our family's favorites too, most of which have already been mentioned:

Dominion (wife favorite)

Killer Bunnies and the Quest for the Magic Carrot (kids favorite)

King of Tokyo

Smash-Up

Settlers of Catan

7 Wonders

And for epic groups of nerds with a few hours of time to kill, the Firefly board game is actually a lot of fun.

• Like 3

Played a lot of Catan and Dominion on vacation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Massrandir, Barkûn, Swolórin, The Whey Pilgrim
500 / 330 / 625
Challenges: 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 31 32 34 35 36 39 41 42 45 46 47 48 49 Current Challenge
"No citizen has a right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable. " ~ Socrates
"Friends don't let friends squat high." ~ Chad Wesley Smith
"It's a dangerous business, Brodo, squatting to the floor. You step into the rack, and if you don't keep your form, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to." ~ Gainsdalf

Excluding the expansions, which version of Catan is the definitive must buy. I've seen so many different variants in stores and I haven't been able to figure out which one is THE ONE. And really what's the difference? Settlers of Catan, Catan, Rivals for Catan, Catan Family Edition, etc. etc.

Level 5 Changeling Ranger

STR:13 | DEX:14  | STA:14  | CON: | WIS:10 | CHA:5

"Success is not final, failure is not fatal."

Current Challenge | 4 | 3 | 2 | 1

Settlers of Catan and Catan are the same. Although I don't break it out that much, and as msuroo says, there might be other games, it seems the familiarity of Catan seems to play up always. Its just like Ticket to Ride...there are so many other train games (I know, eventually I'll own 3...no I'm not Sheldon Cooper), but people know TtR and hence have an immediate comfort level. 

Thanks for all the input, guys! Even though, as most of you mentioned, that there are better games out there I'd still like to pick up a copy of Catan since it is so well known that it is often seen as the flagship of modern boardgames. But now that we're inching closer to the holiday season, are there any game or expansion releases that you're looking forward to?

My boyfriend bought Arkham Horror recently - pretty awesome! Based on Call of Cthulhu.

Playable in teams (which is better for everyone as I get pretty .. excited when it comes to winning). Takes 2-4 hours to play and doesn't get boring.

Carcassonne is waiting to be played - housemate bought it last week.

My parents are big fans of it, but I never got to play it.

I'm the same when it comes to Catan - it's the familiarity of the game. We played it a lot when I was younger, my boyfriend played it for the first time recently. He loved it, so we played it with my parents. Good times! Parents still play it every 2 months. Twice a year is often enough for me :)

• Like 3

My boyfriend bought Arkham Horror recently - pretty awesome! Based on Call of Cthulhu.

Playable in teams (which is better for everyone as I get pretty .. excited when it comes to winning). Takes 2-4 hours to play and doesn't get boring.

I've a love-hate relationship w/ Arkham Horror ... mostly due to the LONG play and set up time which might have to do with friends of mine who have the game also have all the expansions and can't ever figure out what parts they want to play with then it takes almost an hour to set it up.

We got Elder Sign (Cthulhu Yahtzee) which plays faster and friends have recommended  Eldritch Horror

• Like 1

Half-Ork Scout Leader
Running PRs : 5K 24m16s | 10K 53m32s | 15K 1h18m09s | Half Marathon 2h1m44s | Marathon 4h42m2s 
Past Challenges #1 #2 #3 #4 #5 #6 #7 #8 #9 #10 #11 #12 #13  #14 #15 #16 #17 #18 #19 #20 #21 #22
                               #23 #24 #25 #26 #27 #28 #29 #30 #31 #32 #33 #34 #35 #36 #37 #38 #39 #40
Current Challenge Don't Call It A Comeback

I've a love-hate relationship w/ Arkham Horror ... mostly due to the LONG play and set up time which might have to do with friends of mine who have the game also have all the expansions and can't ever figure out what parts they want to play with then it takes almost an hour to set it up.

We got Elder Sign (Cthulhu Yahtzee) which plays faster and friends have recommended  Eldritch Horror

I already figured that if we invite friends over to play this game, we will prepare the board before they arrive. 

We're not ready for the expansions yet :P that will take waaaay too long!

• Like 1

I don't have any experience with Arkham Horror but Eldritch Horror is a favorite with our group. We don't have any of the expansions yet but it took me about 20 minutes to set up the board the first couple of times we played. Since then I've gotten the hang of it and can have everything laid out in about 10 minutes or less. The game itself lasts for about two fun and suspenseful hours.

• Like 1

We play Munchkin and Exploding Kittens (card games) with the kids (8 and almost 10).

For board games we like Small World and Settlers of Catan. The kids like Hero Quest and Descent too.

And for role playing games we play a lot of Pathfinder with our friends, and my oldest kid is getting to the point where he can join in too. He loves the fantasy aspect and its a sneaky way to get him to practise communication and maths skills.

• Like 1

Cephalopod Dreams

Halfling Monk

Challenges: Level 4 | Academy: Level 10

Str 4 | Dex 4 | Sta 4 | Con 7 | Wis 5 | Cha 2

My Character

I'm aiming for my black belt in Shotokan Karate, training to defeat the monster that is chronic pain.

Battle Log | Current Challenge | Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

So glad I found this thread! Thanks to everyone for all the great suggestions.

I'll just throw in some of our family's favorites too, most of which have already been mentioned:

Dominion (wife favorite)

Killer Bunnies and the Quest for the Magic Carrot (kids favorite)

King of Tokyo

Smash-Up

Settlers of Catan

7 Wonders

And for epic groups of nerds with a few hours of time to kill, the Firefly board game is actually a lot of fun.

I so want to play the Firefly game! I also have a Discworld board game but haven't played it yet.

Cephalopod Dreams

Halfling Monk

Challenges: Level 4 | Academy: Level 10

Str 4 | Dex 4 | Sta 4 | Con 7 | Wis 5 | Cha 2

My Character

I'm aiming for my black belt in Shotokan Karate, training to defeat the monster that is chronic pain.

Battle Log | Current Challenge | Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

Depends what version you play. If you played first edition House Greyjoy could crush Westoros. The second edition...I dunno..I played it once, felt kinda meh

This is what I've heard. I have first edition and have never played it because whenever I have 3 people, the setup doesn't seem worth it to play a broken game power balance wise. Pluys, all my friends are very new to complicated board games and basically want to play catan if we do sit down to play. Next step for them board game wise I think is the cities and knights expansion.

500 / 330 / 625
Challenges: 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 31 32 34 35 36 39 41 42 45 46 47 48 49 Current Challenge
"No citizen has a right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable. " ~ Socrates
"It's a dangerous business, Brodo, squatting to the floor. You step into the rack, and if you don't keep your form, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to." ~ Gainsdalf

Gains, do you own Small World? It could be a step up, then poke them with Lords of Waterdeep if they need Meeple placement

I do own smallworld. I got bored with it really fast, not a ton of strategy beyond expanding as fast as possible and then just switching races once you exhaust your pool.

500 / 330 / 625