Forums are back in action! ×

The Perfect NF Gym?

A few years ago someone asked us to imagine the ideal NF gym.  IIRC my idea involved a treehouse, because.

It'd be obnoxiously expensive, but a climbing wall would be really damn cool to have too.  Maybe with a neat overhanging "treehouse" at the very top of the wall for whoever makes it to the top.  

"Someone ever tries to kill you, you try to kill 'em right back." - Captain Malcolm Reynolds

Current Challenge

Also, I Agree With Tank™

It'd be obnoxiously expensive, but a climbing wall would be really damn cool to have too. Maybe with a neat overhanging "treehouse" at the very top of the wall for whoever makes it to the top.

We could keep costs down by building a bouldering wall instead maybe? Lay down a bunch of mats...could even build a tunnel for upside down work.
  • Like 2

BAREFOOT DAWSY

Scout Commander (ret.)

There are some climbing halls that would almost fit the bill, I have seen several that have free weights, pull up bars, campus boards, and mats.

A climbing wall and ninja warrior course.

For those less concerned with realism, boffer weapons are good choice.

Malaysia or somewhere has a gym with a "rolling" wall (think a vertical treadmill) so you can keep climbing until you can't keep up. I thought that was kinda nifty.

• Like 2

Arda the level 0 Wood elf
Current challenge

This got me thinking...given the NF philosophy of lifting free weights and doing bodyweight exercises, what would be the perfect NF gym? Here's what I would love to see:

1. A dozen squat racks
  2. A running track 
  3. Lots of floor space (with varying degrees of padding)
  4. Kettle bells
  5. A Pool
  6. Hanging and climbing apparatus
  7. A rack of badass swords, spears, and other assorted weaponry (hey, I can dream, right?)

A climbing wall and ninja warrior course.

Lose the running track and put it near the trailhead of some awesome mountain trails.

Add a bunch of box jump boxes, or a lot of big rocks outside, or a staggered-height brick wall...

And an archery range.

I would have to say that a good gym needs decent lighting, ideally through skylights or big windows, and appropriate ventilation.  One of my favorite gyms had a couple of squat racks on a patio outside.  Aside from the rust issues, it was fantastic to be lifting out in the open air.  My gym in the city has almost no windows, just mirrors everywhere.  It's terrible.

I actually work at a gym that has most of this, believe it or not.  Except the gun range suggested earlier, & the ninja warrior course.  But it does have the climbing wall, archery range, fencing/martial arts/weaponry classes, & combat areas that you don't see at most places.  It's more or less amazing. :nevreness:

High Elf-Rakshasa Assassin | LVL 16 | STR: 18 | DEX: 11 | STA: 13 | CON: 6 | WIS: 18 | CHA: 19

I actually work at a gym that has most of this, believe it or not. Except the gun range suggested earlier, & the ninja warrior course. But it does have the climbing wall, archery range, fencing/martial arts/weaponry classes, & combat areas that you don't see at most places. It's more or less amazing. :nevreness:

Really? That's awesome! Where is it?

BAREFOOT DAWSY

Scout Commander (ret.)

Best gym I've ever been in had Eleiko bumper plates with signs everywhere showing how the color-coded plates should be placed on the squat rack pegs.  There were minor issues, but it was pretty consistently done.  For some reason, new plates in colors seemed to help.

I would have to say that a good gym needs decent lighting, ideally through skylights or big windows, and appropriate ventilation.  One of my favorite gyms had a couple of squat racks on a patio outside.  Aside from the rust issues, it was fantastic to be lifting out in the open air.  My gym in the city has almost no windows, just mirrors everywhere.  It's terrible.

How about a retractable glass ceiling that could be open on nice days for optimal fresh air and light?

Yea, that would easily be the hardest part.  Well, that, and having most of the people on NF spread out over the whole dang world.  lol.  C'mon guys!  Travel to the NF gym 3 times a week for your workout!  Nevermind the international airfare.  haha.  

I was going to suggest teleporters but someone already beat me to it.  But it would be a necessity I'm sure.  

Race: Amazonian Ogre Princess | Class: Ranger | Profession: SuperHero | Affiliation: Doodlie and Pancake for Life

Respawn Challenge Arcs: 2021 | 2022

I am not saying I am Wonder Woman. I am just saying no one has ever seen me and Wonder Woman together in the same room.

Original Spawn Challenges 2014 - 2020: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 789, 10, 11, 12 , 131415, 1617181920, 21, 2223242526272829303132, 33, 3435, 36??

Roadmaps: 2016 | 2017 | 2018 | 2019 | 2020

Starting weight = 290.4 (2014); Current weight = 241.2; Total pounds lost: 49.2

I actually work at a gym that has most of this, believe it or not.  Except the gun range suggested earlier, & the ninja warrior course.  But it does have the climbing wall, archery range, fencing/martial arts/weaponry classes, & combat areas that you don't see at most places.  It's more or less amazing. :nevreness:

I want to gym where you gym.  Like, right meow.  

"Someone ever tries to kill you, you try to kill 'em right back." - Captain Malcolm Reynolds

Current Challenge

Also, I Agree With Tank™

Really? That's awesome! Where is it?

Georgia institute of Technology. Technically it's a college gym but you'd never know it the minute you set foot inside. It's been ranked as the top collegiate gym for at least most of the last 10 years. Since ATL is such a big filming city for TV & movies, we even sometimes get celebrities who pass through. Not often, but it was cool when Josh Hutcherson came by a bit during Hunger Games filming, or Will Ferell during Anchorman last year.

• Like 1

High Elf-Rakshasa Assassin | LVL 16 | STR: 18 | DEX: 11 | STA: 13 | CON: 6 | WIS: 18 | CHA: 19

Georgia institute of Technology. Technically it's a college gym but you'd never know it the minute you set foot inside. It's been ranked as the top collegiate gym for at least most of the last 10 years. Since ATL is such a big filming city for TV & movies, we even sometimes get celebrities who pass through. Not often, but it was cool when Josh Hutcherson came by a bit during Hunger Games filming, or Will Ferell during Anchorman last year.

Sign me up.  Also, is there a shooting range near-ish to the gym?  That would be even more awesomer!  (I know it's a college gym, but my old college had a range ON campus, so I know it's possible)

Current Challenge

Also, I Agree With Tank™

Sign me up.  Also, is there a shooting range near-ish to the gym?  That would be even more awesomer!  (I know it's a college gym, but my old college had a range ON campus, so I know it's possible)

The downside is it's only open to Tech students/faculty/alumni.  We must get at least 5 inquiries a day of if it's open to the public.

The archery club practices in an indoor range on one of the upper floors that's large enough to double as a hockey rink & soccer stadium, depending on which day of the week.

• Like 1

The downside is it's only open to Tech students/faculty/alumni.  We must get at least 5 inquiries a day of if it's open to the public.

The archery club practices in an indoor range on one of the upper floors that's large enough to double as a hockey rink & soccer stadium, depending on which day of the week.

I'm feeling the urge to go back to college.  

• Like 1

Race: Amazonian Ogre Princess | Class: Ranger | Profession: SuperHero | Affiliation: Doodlie and Pancake for Life

Respawn Challenge Arcs: 2021 | 2022

I am not saying I am Wonder Woman. I am just saying no one has ever seen me and Wonder Woman together in the same room.

Original Spawn Challenges 2014 - 2020: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 789, 10, 11, 12 , 131415, 1617181920, 21, 2223242526272829303132, 33, 3435, 36??

Roadmaps: 2016 | 2017 | 2018 | 2019 | 2020

Starting weight = 290.4 (2014); Current weight = 241.2; Total pounds lost: 49.2

I assume the celebrities don't all attend the college.  There's gotta be an exception.   ;)

I'm feeling the urge to go back to college.  

Suddenly I do as well!  Weird.....

• Like 1

Current Challenge

Also, I Agree With Tank™

I wouls like this gym to be in a tall building so there would be lots of stairs to climb. :) :) :) There could be a different kind of setup on each floor, like the pool at the bottom, and then open padded space, and then a room with lots of stuff to hang from, jump over, lean on, etc. If that design still does not provide enough stairs to be satisfying, the stairs could extend past the roof. The running track could go around one of the rooms. There would be lots of windows that could be opened. I have a bit of an architecture/interior-design obsession. I also have a stair-climbing obsession.

• Like 1

I wouls like this gym to be in a tall building so there would be lots of stairs to climb. :) :) :) There could be a different kind of setup on each floor, like the pool at the bottom, and then open padded space, and then a room with lots of stuff to hang from, jump over, lean on, etc. If that design still does not provide enough stairs to be satisfying, the stairs could extend past the roof. The running track could go around one of the rooms. There would be lots of windows that could be opened. I have a bit of an architecture/interior-design obsession. I also have a stair-climbing obsession.

Now that's thinking outside of the square! I love that idea. If we make an atrium, we could even jump from the second floor, into the pool ;)

BAREFOOT DAWSY

Scout Commander (ret.)

I assumed costumes would just happen, especially since I only workout in UA's Alter Ego shirts.

Unless we're talking about adding a craft room to build new stuff between sets, then I may never leave this gym.

Anim07734; God of Death in Training

Tiefling Assassin and Artificer

Maxim 70: Failure is not an option. It is mandatory. The option is whether or not to let failure be the last thing you do.

Nobody mentioned costumes? If we're gonna geek out and train like superheroes, might as well be dressed as them. Gives cosplayers something to play with and the armor would definately turn swordfights up to 11. Not to mention trying a Murph in full plate armor...

If we're really going all out, we need a few sets of the Unified Weapons Masters armors.  Points based scoring and safety for the competitors?  Count me in!  

Current Challenge

Also, I Agree With Tank™

If I ever win the lottery I know what I am going to build. 

• Like 1

Half-Elf: Ranger/Assassin

Challenges: [1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6a] [6b] [7] [8] [8.5] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [ --> Battle Log]

Old Battle Logs [2017] New Battle Log 2018: Reforged

DragonForging My Life: Epic Quests [Google D] Epic Quests [NF]

Lifter Profile [Symmetric Strength] Racer Profile [Athlinks] Body Comp [G-Sheet] Running Stats [G-Sheet]

Not so nerdy, but on top of the awesomeness listed above, can I add/remove something that bugs me about every gym I've ever seen? Instead of being plugged in and driven by belts, can the machines have generators on them to drive the lights, etc?

Oh, and decent cycle parking.

Please and thank you. 😊

• Like 1

Mythical
Level:0            Class: Unknown

STR:0  WIS:0  CON:0  DEX:0  STA:0

Current Challenge:  The Mythical Ninja Zombie Slayer