Forums are back in action! ×

Overheard in the gym - Share!

1- Yes a fellow Furyan!

2- if you're Canadian, check the men's under ware section. It's where I find them. 4 bucks a pair. Super comfy, and double add a swim bottom in a pinch.

i knew i couldn't be the only one haha

i'm in the southern United States (Georgia)

i'm sure i can find them somewhere though

• Like 1

LEVEL: 7 Furyan Ranger - Battle Log - in lieu of this challenge

don't look back, we aren't going that way:

Rebirth - Wrestlemania Dark Raider vs KZacher

From Tartarus with Love - Wrath of the Furyan - it's a secret! - FIGHT! - You can go your own way - The Rational Gaze - Rise from Death to Knife this Beast(part 3-the agony) - Demonized(part 2) -  By Demons Be Driven(part 1) -

i knew i couldn't be the only one haha

i'm in the southern United States (Georgia)

i'm sure i can find them somewhere though

You're not alone :D

Well then you're definitely not finding a Giant Tiger in your neck of the woods (Canadian chain). I'm sure you can find them somewhere too though. My husband thinks it's hysterical that I have more men's underware than he does. But they're practical and comfy. And I like the cool designs.

• Like 1

"What doesn't kill me better start running", level 7 Furyan Assassin
My Journey From Fat to Fit: 1|2|3|4|5|6|7|8|9|10|11|12|13|CURRENT

A proud member of the Champion House; Targaryen (Assassin's mini), Hufflepuff bravery is forgetting to be afraid because the thing is so important that the risk doesn't even matter (Assassin's mini) , Hellfire Club represent! (Assassin's mini)

You're not alone :D

Well then you're definitely not finding a Giant Tiger in your neck of the woods (Canadian chain). I'm sure you can find them somewhere too though. My husband thinks it's hysterical that I have more men's underware than he does. But they're practical and comfy. And I like the cool designs.

i bet i could find them online somewhere though

glad to know the Furyans are surviving and still out there

• Like 1

LEVEL: 7 Furyan Ranger - Battle Log - in lieu of this challenge

don't look back, we aren't going that way:

Rebirth - Wrestlemania Dark Raider vs KZacher

From Tartarus with Love - Wrath of the Furyan - it's a secret! - FIGHT! - You can go your own way - The Rational Gaze - Rise from Death to Knife this Beast(part 3-the agony) - Demonized(part 2) -  By Demons Be Driven(part 1) -

I was trying to get him to do air squats and get his ass to the grass.  A guy who was in the power rack nearby came over and pointed out (correctly) that my son was just dropping all the way down and not really using his muscles on the way down.

Hmm.  I thought you were supposed to drop down into a squat position.  The less time spent going down, the more efficient the movement and the more reps you can get.  Doing that with weight and finding out you buttwink is not fun.  X_X  Kind of hard to do it with 1RM weight, however.

• Like 1

Classless Human Male Warrior - Introduction

Height: 1.77m Weight: 93 kg

Spoiler

Current Maxes: (repsxkg)

Squat: 10x122.3, 5x138.2, 3x147; 1x170

Bench Press: 10x79, 5x93, 1x102

Deadlift: 10x152, 5x192, 3x210, 1x229

Overhead Press: 10x52, 5x61, 1x70.3

Current Battle Log: 1707 Sam Ashen Summer Swole Program

2017 Challenges:  1701 1702 1703 1704 1705

Previous Challenges: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 1603 1604 1605 1606 1607 1609  1610 1611 1612

Daily Log:The Daily Grind

Form Check:  Stronglifts Olympic

More FC's:  Pistol Squats

Want to play?  MFPvP

Hmm.  I thought you were supposed to drop down into a squat position.  The less time spent going down, the more efficient the movement and the more reps you can get.  Doing that with weight and finding out you buttwink is not fun.  X_X  Kind of hard to do it with 1RM weight, however.

He wasn't lowering himself using any muscle control - just letting gravity do the work and not using anything that could be regarded as "form," good or bad.  That would be bad if he were using any weight at all.  I hope that made sense.  He tried a couple using the bar and was all over the place.  I think I'll have him try a goblet squat with a little kettlebell just to get the hang of it. 

Sorry to hear about your buttwink, dude.

• Like 2

My Main Quest:  Bench my Body Weight

My First 6-Week Challenge:  Squidwina - A Week Late and 45 Pounds Short

Started Program - 5-Jan-2015

Main Lifts as of 17-Mar-2015

- Squat: 3 reps at 175 lbs  (200 lb 1RM)

- Deadlift:  3 reps at 185 lbs

- Bench press: 3 reps at 115 lbs

- Overhead press: 3 reps at 75 lbs

Hmm. I thought you were supposed to drop down into a squat position. The less time spent going down, the more efficient the movement and the more reps you can get. Doing that with weight and finding out you buttwink is not fun. X_X Kind of hard to do it with 1RM weight, however.

It's quite possible that part of the reason you butt wink is because you're just dropping without any control. It might look like people drop, but they have to be braced. Watch a few PL comps and you'll quickly see that the people who have an uncontrolled descent are the ones who fail to come back up.

• Like 1

He wasn't lowering himself using any muscle control - just letting gravity do the work and not using anything that could be regarded as "form," good or bad.  That would be bad if he were using any weight at all.  I hope that made sense.  He tried a couple using the bar and was all over the place.  I think I'll have him try a goblet squat with a little kettlebell just to get the hang of it. 

Sorry to hear about your buttwink, dude.

That makes more sense.  If you can go down properly, then see if you can go down quickly.  If you go down quickly, is it controlled and do you land in correct form?  Okay.  Makes more sense.

I think I am recovered from the buttwink.  See above.  That is pretty much exactly how it happened.  Went down quickly and wrong and something went pow, pow, POW!  This is eight days later and I am told to work with weight to comfort level.  Working on a cue and will see if that fixes the issue.

Spoiler

Previous Challenges: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 1603 1604 1605 1606 1607 1609  1610 1611 1612

Want to play?  MFPvP

It's quite possible that part of The reason you butt wink is because you're just dropping without any control. It might look like people drop, but they have to be braced. Watch a few PL comps and you'll quickly see that the people who have an uncontrolled descent are the ones who fail to come back up.

The strikethrough is mine.  Without seeing anything I have done, the Healer I was talking to says this is exactly what I did.  I lowered the weight and stopped paying attention to form.  (or control)  The last video I posted shows it.  I got some good advice (you know where that came from) and picked up a cue I think I can follow.  (from the same Healer)  I will try to get another video up on Wednesday or Saturday to see if the cue fixed that issue along with a few others.

Butt wink isn't an injury, it's something that can cause an injury.

I could have said recovering from the injury that results from a butt wink - Or I could call it buttwinkitis.

Spoiler

Want to play?  MFPvP

@ kzacher

We're a hard breed to kill.

Got another one for the group to laugh over:

(I'm hitting the weights in the workplace gym, there are 3 guys using the cardio machines in the same room)

Gym employee walks in giving a newbie a guided tour: "And over here we have the cardio machines. There's a 30 min max on them during peak hours because the ladies love to claim them. And in the corner you'll see one of our strongmen moving weights" *points at me*

Newbie: "Might want to reasses that last statment, fairly certain that's a strongwoman."

Apparently I'm one of the few and proud free weight females. I couldn't help but self narrate in my head after that like it was some kind of documentary. Even had the Steve Irwin voice going for me.

• Like 9

A proud member of the Champion House; Targaryen (Assassin's mini), Hufflepuff bravery is forgetting to be afraid because the thing is so important that the risk doesn't even matter (Assassin's mini) , Hellfire Club represent! (Assassin's mini)

Butt wink isn't an injury, it's something that can cause an injury.

Aw, I just couldn't resist acknowledging the man's buttwink somehow!

To add to the "Two People Separated by a Common Language" files:

I was chatting with my boss about lifting.  He hasn't lifted in a while, but he said that when he did, he did every set to failure. 

I looked at him like he was positively insane.  He was like "what's wrong with that?"  I said "every set???"  He said yes, on every set.  In an effort to be polite I said "well...that's a difference in philosopies."

See, when he said "to failure," I assumed he meant to total failure.  As in squatting until he had to drop the bar on the safeties and crawl out from under it...on every set.

He's not an idiot, so I was very confused by this.  A couple of days later, it occurred to me that when he said "failure," he must have meant something more like "near failure."  As in squatting until he felt that he just couldn't push out another rep.

I went to him and asked if that was what he meant, and he just about died laughing.  Yep, he was going to "near failure," not "total failure."

So it was a difference in terminology, which was quite a relief.  A difference in lifting philosophy, too, I suppose. But I admit I was a bit disappointed because if he really was doing every set to total failure, that would truly be a spectacle worth watching.

In the end, the joke was on me, however.  This morning, for the first time ever, I hit total failure on my last rep of my last set of bench press.  Yes, I had to do the Roll of Shame.

• Like 4

In my gym there's one of those things that you rest your upper arm on for bicep curls (preacher curls are they called?), and at this point in time it wasn't being used. I saw a guy had raised the back of a bench so it was at a 45 degree or so angle, lay a towel over the end of it and stand behind the bench to use it for curls instead.

Follow me on snapchat or instagram @ catintherack

Squat: 115kg

Bench: 77.5kg

Deadlift: 130kg

Total: 322.5kg

Weight: 68kg

Aw, I just couldn't resist acknowledging the man's buttwink somehow!

To add to the "Two People Separated by a Common Language" files:

I was chatting with my boss about lifting.  He hasn't lifted in a while, but he said that when he did, he did every set to failure. 

I looked at him like he was positively insane.  He was like "what's wrong with that?"  I said "every set???"  He said yes, on every set.  In an effort to be polite I said "well...that's a difference in philosopies."

See, when he said "to failure," I assumed he meant to total failure.  As in squatting until he had to drop the bar on the safeties and crawl out from under it...on every set.

He meant AMRAP, right?  As Many Reps as Possible?  You understood total failure.

Spoiler

Want to play?  MFPvP

This isn't really funny.  Just something that strikes me as unusual.  

There's a guy at my gym who's probably in his 60's or so.  He's a retired Marine too, which is awesome.  But his entire workout consists of decline bench press on the Smith Machine.  He'll load up ~250# and do 11ty billion reps on this thing, then leave.  

I know it's a thing.  I just don't get it being the only thing.  

• Like 2

"Someone ever tries to kill you, you try to kill 'em right back." - Captain Malcolm Reynolds

Current Challenge

Also, I Agree With Tank™

This isn't really funny.  Just something that strikes me as unusual.  

There's a guy at my gym who's probably in his 60's or so.  He's a retired Marine too, which is awesome.  But his entire workout consists of decline bench press on the Smith Machine.  He'll load up ~250# and do 11ty billion reps on this thing, then leave.  

I know it's a thing.  I just don't get it being the only thing.  

Well...the PFT is pushups, situps and a run. Maybe he's training for pushups and not wanting to put on extra weight for the rest... :-)

Yeah... that's a thing too, and I know he's retired, but old habits die hard.

"Insanity - you make my world a better place man, you really do! That shit is awesome! :D" - Guzzi-

My first challenge

My battle Log: Insanity: Warrior Monk

Honorary Ranger dubbed by DarK_RaideR, 1000 Pound club (875 of 1000)

"Roll of shame" should be renamed "Badass roll" or similar. After all it indicates you are going harder than everyone else.

Sadly, I wasn't being a bench-pressing badass.  I was being a moron.

Overheard in my head:

After my warmup sets:

Me:  "You should really stick to 105.  That was HARD last time."

Me: "What are you, some kind of wimp?"

Me: "Come on, be sensible! What will it hurt to hold back for another day."

Me:  "Must...make...progress..."

Me:  "Gimme a break.  Linear progression is cool and all, but you're not a 23 year old guy.  You're 43 years old, you're a chick, and you have to be careful of your shoulder.  There's no shame in modifying things to meet your needs."

Me:  "What if I used the 1.25 pound plates?  That's micro-loading, right?  It's just a teeny-weeny bit more. Please?"

Me:  "Okay, fine, do it your way."

After the first set:

Me:  "Dang, that was hard."

Me:  "Take off the little plates"

Me:  "No."

After the second set:

Me:  "Dang, that was even harder."

Me:  "Take off the little plates."

Me:  "No."

Me:  "You're really an idiot sometimes, you know that?"

Me:  "I know."

During the second-to-last rep of the last set:

Me:  "Okay...it's slowing waaaay down..."

Me: "I told you so."

Me:  "You're not helping."

Me: "Okay, fine. I'll help.  Squeeze the damn bar."

Me:  "That worked.  Thanks.  Should I go for the last rep"

Me:  "Are you stupid?  NO!  You barely got that one up."

Me:  "Must...not...quit..."

Me: "Girl, you gotta know when to hold 'em and know when to fold 'em."

Me:  "I'm going for it."

Me:  "Oy gevalt."

During the last rep of the last set:

Me:  "I'm stuck. This may have been a bad idea."

Me:  "I told you so."

Me:  "STILL not helping!"

Me:  "Okay...are your abs tight?  Glutes tight?  Squeezing the hell out of the bar?"

Me:  "Yep, yep, and yep.  It's not enough"

Me: "Then grunt."

Me:  "UNGH!  Not enough..."

Me:  "You can do it!"

Me:  "Actually, no I can't...I'm really stuck."

Me:  "I think you're gonna have to do the roll of shame."

Me:  "I don't wanna."

Me:  "Well, you can't hold it here forever."

Me: "Dammit dammit dammit...Gah, it's on me!"

Me: "Well, roll it off quick."

Me:  "Oh god, I hope nobody sees this."

Me:  "Everybody saw it. Serves you right, dummy."

Me:  "I don't see anybody looking at me."

Me:  "They've averted their eyes in embarrassment."

Me:  "Ugh. You're probably right."

Me:  "By the way, I told you so."

Me:  "Shut up."

• Like 16

*Stuff*

1. Sounds like what goes on in my head, only it's not all me up there...

2. You now know your actual limits, not perceived... so I think that's badass. Not everyone is willing to push themselves the edge of what they're capable of, simply because it's not comfortable out there.

• Like 2

"Insanity - you make my world a better place man, you really do! That shit is awesome! :D" - Guzzi-

My first challenge

My battle Log: Insanity: Warrior Monk

Honorary Ranger dubbed by DarK_RaideR, 1000 Pound club (875 of 1000)

One time I was bench pressing for 55kg, I loaded up the two 15s and 2.5s, then started. I was doing 4 sets of 8, and the entire time I was thinking "gee, my right side feels a lot stronger than my left, how odd". Then I finish my last set, go to unload the weights, and see that on the left side is the 2.5 with the clip over it, and on the right side is no 2.5 and no clip. I immediately looked around to check if anyone was looking, unloaded it, and pretended it had never happened.

• Like 1

Follow me on snapchat or instagram @ catintherack

Squat: 115kg

Bench: 77.5kg

Deadlift: 130kg

Total: 322.5kg

Weight: 68kg

Overheard in my head:

I lol'd.  I've also done that before.  I'm pretty sure everyone has done it at least once before. Even if they won't admit it. 

1. Sounds like what goes on in my head, only it's not all me up there...

2. You now know your actual limits, not perceived... so I think that's badass. Not everyone is willing to push themselves the edge of what they're capable of, simply because it's not comfortable out there.

Definitely still badass.  

• Like 2

"Someone ever tries to kill you, you try to kill 'em right back." - Captain Malcolm Reynolds

Current Challenge

Also, I Agree With Tank™

Me: "Then grunt."

Me:  "UNGH!  Not enough..."

Me:  "You can do it!"

Me:  "Actually, no I can't...I'm really stuck."

Breathe, breathe, BREATHE!!!!  Short breaths!

It has been a while since I had to do a roll of shame.  When I find myself in that situation, somebody materializes to help me up.  Guardian angel, maybe.  Man that dude has to be fast to keep up with me!

Still working on my gym social skills:

Me: Hey, mind if I ask how many sets you have left?

Guy 1: (finishing set of 10 with 135 pounds) 2 more.

Me:  Would you mind if I worked in with you?

Guy 1:  Sure.

Me:  I usually start with just the empty bar.

Plates come off.  Set of 15 with empty bar. Plates go on.  He does set of 10.  I do set of 5.  He does set of 10 and finishes.  The bench is all mine now and I add the quarters. I run two sets of 5 and see another guy who is obviously biding his time and patiently waiting for a bench to open up.  I caught his name, so will call him T.

Me: You look like you are waiting for a bench.  Do you want to work in?

T: If you don't mind, sure!

Bonus:  Found a spotter!

Great way to meet people!

• Like 5

Spoiler

Want to play?  MFPvP

One time I was bench pressing for 55kg, I loaded up the two 15s and 2.5s, then started. I was doing 4 sets of 8, and the entire time I was thinking "gee, my right side feels a lot stronger than my left, how odd". Then I finish my last set, go to unload the weights, and see that on the left side is the 2.5 with the clip over it, and on the right side is no 2.5 and no clip. I immediately looked around to check if anyone was looking, unloaded it, and pretended it had never happened.

I'm glad I'm not the only one that's done this.  I put 2.5kg on one side and 1.25kg on the other. When I noticed, I just looked around to see if anyone was looking at me weirdly and walked very quickly away from the rack....

One from my husband: 

He went to the gym yesterday in the middle of the day instead of the morning. When I asked him if it was busy or quiet in the gym that time of the day, he replied; "Quiet but full of weirdos. There was a guy wearing a cap that said "Fuck Off" on the front. He was doing some weird movements with the weights that would do absolutely nothing for any muscles in the body, then he stood in front of the mirror and started dancing like a maniac while staring at himself."

• Like 4

Current: Assassins / Instagram

Previous: 1, 234, 5, 678910, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44

2020 Races: 
CANCELLED! Spartan Trifecta: Beast: 18-APR / Super :11-JUL / Sprint: 12-JUL

Summer Nuts: 5/6-SEPT / Nuclear Blast: 12-SEPT / Nuclear team race: 04-OCT 

"You have the heart of a Rebel"

"I'll take that as a compliment"

This one isn't from me personally, this was one of the military guys I work out with from time to time (I flat out asked him if he had a funny gym story)

He's doing squats with a squaddie and his buddy says 'Ass to grass, ASS TO GRASS!'

Fellow squaddie nearby over hears this and says "isn't that the rule of hitch hiking?"

Military guy 1 &2: ???

Squaddie #3: "Ass, grass, or gas. Come on, you have to know that rule!"

• Like 3

At BJJ today:

"Yeah you need to train both sides, judo guys tend to only train one.  Ask Lou." 
"Actually we train both, I don't because I'm a lazy chancer."

Proceeded to demonstrate both right and left handed techniques.  Also proceeded to accidentally tomoe nage people when we're doing some weird guardy sweep thing.

• Like 1

"Gentle means tired."

Battle Log / Youtube Channel / (lol am an..) Athlete Page

Level 4 Halfling Monk: STR - 181 | DEX - 12.5 | STA - 4.5 | CON - 6 | WIS - 4 | CHA - 7