Forums are back in action! ×

Is Your SO (or do you hope to have someday) a Nerd, Closet Nerd, or Non-Nerd?

Well, my husband can geek out over guns at any moment, does that count?

He keeps his inventory (serial numbers, caliber, model #) in a spreadsheet.

He has them arranged in his safe by brand, model, caliber, then barrel length.

But we did get off on a tangent about discovering that you enjoy things you thought you never would thanks to an SO.

The old believe everything; the middle aged suspect everything: the young know everything.

~Oscar Wilde

I'm more of a closet nerd, expressing my love for sci-fi, RPG games, sci-fi/fantasy books, playing games online or on PS3 but outside of my house, no one really knows that. I'm more of a social butterfly in my deaf community, how I love to talk to a lot of people, getting to know them better and work together on different projects. When I'm home, I'm different. My husband is way into gaming online, watching sci-fi shows and is not afraid to be a geek out there in the public. He knows wayyyyy too much about computers, networking, types of video cards, PC vs MAC, cameras, photography, cars, mechanical aspects of it. We have been married or nearly 5 years. Just love for who he is! His nerdiness.. :-)

"I may not be the strongest, I may not be the fastest, but I'll be damned if I'm not trying my hardest."

Guest Eduard
I'm sorry, but what the hell? Am I missing something here or is this one of the most offensive things I've ever seen written?

Well, I hope it's not, 'cause I didn't want it to be. I've never seen her in real life, I'm just playing. Maybe if I change it to Scotthia it'll offend a little less? Pretty pwease? :topsy_turvy:

My boyfriend is a nerd. We have some nerdy common interests and some differences. I don't know that he identifies as a nerd but he absolutely has no problem admitting his love for Star Trek (so, I guess not closet nerd).

My significant others have all been nerds. I love nerds. I don't know that I could date someone who is not a nerd. I once had a guy tell me he didn't like Star Wars. :-| That's kind of a litmus test.

"I'm just going to remember to not eat like an asshole most of the time" - MoC

three words I can sum up everything I've learned about life: one must squat.- Brobert Frost
 Half-Elf Warrior | Current Challenge
 New Battle Log | Old Battle Log
Special thanks to AkLulu for drawing my awesome avatar!

Suuuuureeeee! Haha, you're so cute, come here! *pets you* Awww shucks. :emmersed: Hahaha, I'll walk you every day and comb your fur and let you breed with my friend's husky, I bet you'll fall in :love-struck: for him quickly. And I'm gonna call you... umm... Scotty! I know it's a boy's name, but you are a bit too ugly for a girl anyways. :smug: *keeps petting you with a dumb smile*

Now... umm... what do you like to eat? :sulkiness: Paleeeeeo?... :topsy_turvy: Haha, yousocute! :emmersed:

anyone care to explain what's going on here?

I'm no longer an active member here. Please keep in touch:
“There's only one rule that I know of, babies—God damn it, you've got to be kind.”
Guest Eduard
anyone care to explain what's going on here?

Oh, sure mrs. Staci, I got a new pet! *proudly holds her really close to your face so you can see her well*

And, well... apparently, a lady got offended for calling Gemeaux ugly... it's a bit weird that she didn't mention anything about me saying that I'll let her breed with my friend's husky, but... stuff. Also, that girl with the French name started all, she said she's gonna take me as a pet. :( I just played on! *proud*

Oh, and... well... why this intervention, mrs. Staci? I'm not allowed to have a pet? :( Will you take her from me? :dispirited: I'm taking good care of her, I love her, and she's too kawaii^_^.

Oh, sure mrs. Staci, I got a new pet! *proudly holds her really close to your face so you can see her well*

And, well... apparently, a lady got offended for calling Gemeaux ugly... it's a bit weird that she didn't mention anything about me saying that I'll let her breed with my friend's husky, but... stuff. Also, that girl with the French name started all, she said she's gonna take me as a pet. :( I just played on! *proud*

Oh, and... well... why this intervention, mrs. Staci? I'm not allowed to have a pet? :( Will you take her from me? :dispirited: I'm taking good care of her, I love her, and she's too kawaii^_^.

Hey, I'll be the first to admit that Gemeaux's comment was a bit condescending, and I have no problem with you taking some offense to it. However, your response was *way* more offensive, in my opinion.

Good catch! I'm a trekkie myself. Does he also say "engage" everytime he flushes the toilet?

HAHAHAHA nice! I don't know that he does... but once I tell him this I have a feeling he will.

"I'm just going to remember to not eat like an asshole most of the time" - MoC

three words I can sum up everything I've learned about life: one must squat.- Brobert Frost
 Half-Elf Warrior | Current Challenge
 New Battle Log | Old Battle Log
Special thanks to AkLulu for drawing my awesome avatar!

Guest Eduard
[unimportant stuff]I'll be the first to admit that Gemeaux's comment was a bit condescending, and I have no problem with you taking some offense to it.[unimportant stuff]

I wasn't offended at all, I found it funny and turned it back. I bet Gemeaux loves it too. :emmersed: If not... umm... naaah, I'm sure she loves it. :)

@AKLulu

The correct contraction of Eduard is Edi, just like it can be either Edy or Eddie for Edward. :) Makes me feel special when it's written this way. Thanksieees! :D

@AKLulu

The correct contraction of Eduard is Edi, just like it can be either Edy or Eddie for Edward. :) Makes me feel special when it's written this way. Thanksieees! :D

No problem, Edi dear, I'll try to keep that in mind. Just promise you won't make me sit in the corner if I slip up!

Lulu : one that is remarkable or wonderful (it's in the dictionary, it must be true)

Battle LogPinterest | Twitter | Instagram

Im married to a nerd. Well, I call him a nerd, he corrects me and says he's a geek, not a nerd..LOL He is super smart, and loves Sci-fi and knows all there is to know about every thing Star Trek.lol Sometimes it doesn't give us much to talk about ,unless I do a lot "yeah, um hum" stuff. He's an Avionics Electronics Tech in the US Navy, and he is always up to speed on the lasted gadgets.

Oh and he's also a biker and into old Muscle cars, so he has a coolness factor!..lol

1 Rep Max Deadlift-180lbs

1 Rep Max Clean and Jerk-90lbs

1 Rep Max Push Press-70lbs

1 Rep Max Back Squat-135lbs

1 Rep Strict Press-65lbs

Fitocracy

2 weeks till Hawaii

I am not married, nor do I have any sort of s.o. in my life, but I definitely need me a nerd! He doesn't have to be super nerd or anything, I guess all I really ask for is enough intelligence and curiosity to have good conversations and keep discovering and sharing things. I could go on and list all the other traits I'd like in a man, but then you'd really think me a dreamer ;)

Lulu : one that is remarkable or wonderful (it's in the dictionary, it must be true)

Battle LogPinterest | Twitter | Instagram

Guest Eduard
That may be true, although I think you are foolish to be so sure. Certainly, *I* find it offensive to call anyone 'too ugly to be a girl', regardless if it's directed at me or not.

Quick side note: I am male.

Well, you're too pretty for one.

(Not sure how much I risk by saying this, but it HAD to be said for the giant humoristic value! :livid:)

@AKLulu

No worries Lulupie, call be however you want. Well, as long as you want to call me Edi. :tranquil:

@Gemeaux

Now... we are friends, riiight? :pride::pride: (save me, sistah!)

My husband is most defiantly a closet nerd. You would never guess that he's a trekkie/star wars fan who gets sucked into online RPGs and Civ.

We met playing Utopia online and are still a bit obsessed with Munchkin and Settlers of Cataan. I;m the computer geek though. He likes to play the computer games, I like to take the computer apart. I'm also a bit of tree-hugging hippie type (from Texas? not sure how that works).

Its works out well, I;m rather socially awkward and he can work a room and have everyone smiling in no time. I just follow along like a lost puppy sometimes....sad.

Balanced nerds work the best I think.

"Whenever you find that you are on the side of the majority, it is time to reform. "-Mark Twain
“Success consists of going from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm.†– Winston Churchill
“You will either step forward into growth or you will step back into safety.†– Abraham Maslow

Wood Elf Adventurer LEVEL 6.817
Stats: STR-18.62 DEX-8.22 STA-19.05 CON-29.72 WIS-30.26 CHA-22.73

My wife is a Whovian, she got me into it, a lover of supernatural scifi/fiction with strong female protagonists.

Half-Ork Scout Leader
Running PRs : 5K 24m16s | 10K 53m32s | 15K 1h18m09s | Half Marathon 2h1m44s | Marathon 4h42m2s 
Past Challenges #1 #2 #3 #4 #5 #6 #7 #8 #9 #10 #11 #12 #13  #14 #15 #16 #17 #18 #19 #20 #21 #22
                               #23 #24 #25 #26 #27 #28 #29 #30 #31 #32 #33 #34 #35 #36 #37 #38 #39 #40
Current Challenge Don't Call It A Comeback

My SO is distrubingly well adjusted. The kind of person who, while having some serious nerdy tendencies - most notably a more intense than usual addiction to Super Mario, and a penchant for eurogames - would never be described as a nerd. She's not a nerd/non-nerd and she's very open about the nerdy things that she does and thereforce can't be considered closeted. I think we're going to need a new category...

My wife is a Whovian, she got me into it, a lover of supernatural scifi/fiction with strong female protagonists.

This is so bad...I honestly thought Whovian meant something to do with Dr. Suess, and got all perked up to find out what it was, until I read the rest of the sentence.

Dr. Who is almost as awesome as Dr. Suess though.

The old believe everything; the middle aged suspect everything: the young know everything.

~Oscar Wilde

My SO is distrubingly well adjusted. The kind of person who, while having some serious nerdy tendencies - most notably a more intense than usual addiction to Super Mario, and a penchant for eurogames - would never be described as a nerd. She's not a nerd/non-nerd and she's very open about the nerdy things that she does and thereforce can't be considered closeted. I think we're going to need a new category...

Cool Nerds? My husband is like this...if anyone ever said anything about his nerdier quirks, he would openly own up to them and therefore neutralize any pending teasing.

~Oscar Wilde