Forums are back in action! ×

Mama joining the cause

Hey all,

I'm Saz and I'm a 38 yr old stay-at-home-mum of 2 from the UK. I came across Nerd Fitness via twitter and have been lurking and reading for a bit but am looking for some support keeping to my weight loss & fitness goals so thought I'd de-lurk :).

I've steadily gained weight since the age of about 11/12. My peak was in 2010 - 17.5stone (245lb). At that point I discovered primal eating and started steadily losing weight for the first time ever. Then got pregnant with our second child and everything went to pot.

A year after the birth and several false starts later, I'm starting to get back to living and eating primally again. Training-wise I'm restricted by ongoing pelvis issues from the pregnancy, which means I can't lift anything remotely heavy and sometimes basic brisk walking is a bad idea. But I know if I stick to primal eating I steadily lose weight and feel healthier all round so I am concentrating on that and hoping as I lose all this excess fat my fitness and pelvis recovery will improve too.

Ultimately I guess I aspire to be a Ranger type. But as I've never been anything but fat I have no idea what that looks for feels like. So for now I'm happy to be an Adventurer and just lose the excess weight for now. Currently I'm 14 stone 6lb (202lb) and my initial goal is to get down to 9 stone (126lbs). My brother has just got engaged and his wedding is in October 2013, so that gives me a goal of around 1.5lb per week over the next year. Sounds very doable to me, as long as I can keep motivated and don't self-sabotage...

Looking forward to getting to know you all and joining in the next challenge :)

Saz

Welcome! (love your avatar, by the by...:) )

I think it's great that you have a set date in mind, and your weekly goal weight sounds very doable! I imagine you may plateau eventually, if you're only focused on your diet (which is totally understandable, given your pelvis issues!) but it's definitely an excellent place to start (diet is, after all, about 80% of the solution!). I'm sure there's information out there on low-impact exercises that would be of use to you, but I unfortunately am not personally familiar with the kinds of adjustments you'd want to make for pelvic injuries/rehab.

Good luck, and again, welcome!

Thanks for the welcome Skittle :)

I'll keep that plateau in mind so I don't get frustrated when it happens.

I'm hoping I won't have to wait too long before I feel fit enough to do the odd sprint or start lifting things again. I was just about there in the summer...and then made the mistake of doing a very bad version of the breast stroke when swimming with my children and it pushed me out of alignment again and set me back about 6 months. I can do some beginner wall push ups at least so I'm hoping they'll help increase my core strength which should hold it all together better.

I've been battling a few issues (rotator cuff injury, torn knee ligament) and its always tricky to deal with. Some activity is a good thing, but it's so hard to judge it correctly and not overdo. Have you got a decent doctor or physical therapist that can recommend things you can do (in the future, if not now)? Good luck. See you on the next challenge.

The hardest part of the workout is lacing up your shoes'"

1011 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | Current Challenge |

INTJ | MFP | FitBit

Welcome Saz!

Good Luck

GoodReads  MyFitnessPal

Spoiler

Previous Challenges: 2020: 1.20  - 2019: 1.19 l 2.19

2018: 1.18 l  2.18 l 3.18 l 4.18 l 5.18 l 6.18 l 7.18

2017: 1.17 I 2.17 I 3.17 I 4.17 I 5.17 l 6.17 l 7.17 l 8.17 I 9.17 l 10.17  

2016: 1.16 l 2.16 l DA v.1 l DA v.2 I DA v.2 Reloaded I DA v.3 I DA v.4 I 8.16 I 9.16 I DA v.5 I 11.16 

2012: 1 2013: 2 l 3 l 4 l 5 l 6 l 7 l 8 2014: 9 l 10 l Not Done Yet l Time to Conquer l  Conquering 

HFC for Life!

@Polkaranger I wish you loads of success too :) For too long I've had negativity echoing in my head re my weight loss attempts...but this time it feels very different being here.

@Laureleye I have a fab GP who does acupuncture and accupressure so when I do do too much she puts everything back in alignment and helps me heal again. She kept me mobile for the pregnancy and has helped my recovery enormously. What I can and can't do is fairly well documented online and I should have known better with the breast stroke as it's a big nono. It was the first time I'd been swimming since the pregnancy and I just did my usual stroke without thinking...until I felt something click :nightmare: I'm staying away from the pool for now so I don't do it again by accident! I hope your injuries heal quickly for you. It's so frustrating being restricted.

@Jonesy - ta for the welcome, nice to meet you!

Archived