Forums are back in action! ×

Hey all! I'm Megs, 29, from Texas. I'm in the military and have struggled from day 1 to get fit and meet the height/weight standards. Their standards are insanely calculated, for the record. I've always struggled with my weight. Either I was too skinny (I weighed under 100 lbs until I was 14), just above average (I weighed 144 from 14 y/o until last year), or obese according to military standards. The military has made me hate myself because of their crazy standards.

I've always been a larger body shape. I was a swimmer, so I've got the wide shoulders, chest, and thighs that go along with it. That body shape is not conducive to meeting the military body weight/fat standards. No matter how much I weigh, I'm always barely passing the tape test.

I'm sick of it. I'm ready to take control of that and stop worrying and fasting for weeks to meet their standard. I'm ready to get in the best shape of my life and hopefully drop a few pounds. I want to look in the mirror and like the person I see again.

So off my tangent. Other than all that, I'm super busy. I'm currently in military school until April and starting to volunteer in the emergency room on my free time as an EMT. Also, I start prerequisites towards becoming a Physician Assistant next week. Oi vey! Just typing it makes me realize how tough it's going to be to squeeze in workouts aside from the mandatory PT every morning.

Any advice anyone can provide would be much appreciated!!

wow! you do have a lot going on! that's a bummer about the military standards because it sounds like you actually have a really healthy lifestyle already.

but! i think the biggest thing will be making sure your nutrition and calorie intake is dialed in during those super busy times. It won't matter that you can't make it to the gym if you're eating good things for your body. if you haven't already, i'd figure out your maintenance calories and work from that number (a bit less if you're trying to lose weight). good luck! :)

• Like 1

Instagram | pinterest

read harder challengeBattle LogNROLFW

Challenges: 13-1 | 13-2 | 13-3 | 13-3.5 | 14-1 | 14-2 | 15-1 | 15-2 | 15-3 | 15-4 | 15-5 | 16-1 | 16-2 | 16-3 | 16-4 | 16-516-6 | 16-7 | 16-8 | 17-1 | 17-2 | 17-3 | 17-4 | 17-5 | 17-6 | 17-7 | 17-8 | 17-9 | 17-10 | 18-118-2 | 18-318-4 | 18-5 | 18-6 | 18-7 | 18-8 | 18-9 | 18-10 | 19-1 | 19-2 | 19-3 | 19-4 | 19-5 | 19-6 | 19-7 | current

Welcome Shmegz!

Mmh, I'm going to agree with CourtnieMarie and say that your diet is probably the cornerstone of your problems here. There are a bunch of ways to fix it, so why don't you check out the nutrition subforum for some info?

Everything about the military is crazy, not just their standards! I'm not military myself, but I met a few specimens...

Good luck with your training and keep us posted!

Current form: Chubby House Cat (lvl4)

Weight objective: 20%

S. 4 P. 6 E. 4 C. 7 I. 8 A. 4 L. 5

Battle log

Current Challenge

Handy linky.