Forums are back in action! ×

Any RolePlayers here?

This is the link to Our Game last year. MT: The Gathering by Rathrune

I would prefer PbP for the same reason, timing for me is really sketchy. I cannot commit to a particular time as my job takes me to places with no internet way too often! Plus, I love the development of characters and the internal voices. I had a lot of fun with the one we did last year.

• Like 1

The Way

Better Now than Back Then

Better Now than Later On

I'm in, just like I said. Anyone else?

Same here about the RP>Combat. Part of the reason why I love Planescape so much. The world is filled with powerful beings, so drawing swords is a last resort if you want to stay alive. If you don't stay alive, you go to spend eternity in the plane corresponding to your alignment (after a visit to the Abyss or Nine Hells of Baator, players tend to drop the "I'm evil, I do what I want" behavior). The very world itself is shaped by the belief of the people in it, so one's beliefs and the actions done because of them end up physically altering the world. Sometimes it's more of a philosophical discussion with some dice involved. It's mindblowing, really.

Oh, yeah, the Planescape universe is pretty rad.  I've only played Planescape: Torment (the PC game) but I was immediately fascinated by Sigil.  I'd love to run a tabletop game there at some point. ...Then again, I have a list about as long as my arm of games that I'd "love to run," and not nearly enough time (or players) to do them all, ha ha.

Also, I'm in for any kind of RP shenanigans on the forum.

• Like 2

Dwarven Adventurer, level 0.

"We stand upon the precipice of change. The world fears the inevitable plummet into the abyss. Watch for that moment... and when it comes, do not hesitate to leap. It is only when you fall that you learn whether you can fly." (Flemeth, Dragon Age II)

Target Weight: 200lbs | Starting Weight: 262lbs | Current Weight: 253lbs

I'm all about that bass.

Maybe years of DMing and having to gather groups have left their mark on me, maybe it's the nerd wanting to keep everything in order, but if we're serious about this happening, we gotta do more than just hope for it, since it appears that there are people interested. Therefore, I present to you...

*drumroll*

The spreadsheet

I've added my replies as a guide. Just add your name to the top of a new column, then write some stuff about each game in the corresponding line, mainly if you're interested and whether you're willing to DM or just play that. If a game you have in mind isn't on the list, feel free to add it!

Two thoughts: First, I think we should opt for games that aren't much combat-oriented. Second, let's go crazy and pick something different from ye good ol' D&d, shall we? Or at least, if it comes down to that, let's choose a crazy setting (Planescape, Ravenloft etc) instead of the typical medieval fantasy ones (Forgotten Realms, Greyhawk etc).

Lvl 65 Multitasker

I've added my bits to the spread sheet 

If you want a quick lite system with emphasis on roleplaying vs rollplaying ... I'd say check out FATE or Fate Accelerated Edition (FAE) both are fully online - FATE here and FAE here

I'm currently running a Savage Worlds game in the East Texas University setting - which is a cross between Buffy goes to college and Supernatural.

Half-Ork Scout Leader
Running PRs : 5K 24m16s | 10K 53m32s | 15K 1h18m09s | Half Marathon 2h1m44s | Marathon 4h42m2s 
Past Challenges #1 #2 #3 #4 #5 #6 #7 #8 #9 #10 #11 #12 #13  #14 #15 #16 #17 #18 #19 #20 #21 #22
                               #23 #24 #25 #26 #27 #28 #29 #30 #31 #32 #33 #34 #35 #36 #37 #38 #39 #40
Current Challenge Don't Call It A Comeback

I just checked out the spreadsheet. The stuff I left blank are ones I know nothing about/am not interested in. 

I prefer a medieval fantasy, exceptions being warhammer and star wars of course.

I put an * next to the ones i REALLY want to try.

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us." - J.R.R Tolkien

"Progress, not perfection."

"Persist, Pivot, or Concede." - Matthew McConaughey

"Today I will do what others won't, so tomorrow I can accomplish what others can't."

Rants, Thoughts, and Workouts-->Battle Log | The Improvening (Current Challenge)

As you'll note, my experience outside D&D is extremely limited. BUT, I would love to learn, and I learn pretty quickly. I put NP -- Player next to the games that looked interesting to me at first glance. I am going to look into them more and edit my list. I don't think being the DM/GM first is going to work for me. But later if we want to switch out, I could do it.

Chat later.

The Way

Better Now than Back Then

Better Now than Later On

wow, the lack of Palladium games gives me a sadz  :(  

I miss the Palladium Megaverse, played and DM'ed pretty much any of their major titles; Rifts (and soooooo many of the world books), TMNT, Heros and Villians Unlimited, Nightbane, Robotech and Palladium Fantasy.  Rifts was by far my favorite due to the outstanding story that allowed for magic, supernatural, mythology, robots, mechs, bionics and everything else to actually work in one game.  ahhh, now I miss my books......:(

• Like 1

Tick, Tick, Tick, BOOM!!!

wow, the lack of Palladium games gives me a sadz   :(

I miss the Palladium Megaverse, played and DM'ed pretty much any of their major titles; Rifts (and soooooo many of the world books), TMNT, Heros and Villians Unlimited, Nightbane, Robotech and Palladium Fantasy.  Rifts was by far my favorite due to the outstanding story that allowed for magic, supernatural, mythology, robots, mechs, bionics and everything else to actually work in one game.  ahhh, now I miss my books...... :(

Then add it to the spread sheet!

To me Palladium had/has GREAT settings but HORRIBLE rules ...

I played a Rifts game using Savage Worlds rule a while back and when you remove mega damage (and PC dragons) the game worked WAY better... though I did enjoy my MDC party trying to fight in an SDC town when I used to run Rifts :)

Half-Ork Scout Leader
Running PRs : 5K 24m16s | 10K 53m32s | 15K 1h18m09s | Half Marathon 2h1m44s | Marathon 4h42m2s 
Past Challenges #1 #2 #3 #4 #5 #6 #7 #8 #9 #10 #11 #12 #13  #14 #15 #16 #17 #18 #19 #20 #21 #22

I'm down to play as a player, just want something with some sort of fantasy setting, not real world. I'm not buying any books, so rules have to be freely available.

Massrandir, Barkûn, Swolórin, The Whey Pilgrim
500 / 330 / 625
Challenges: 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 31 32 34 35 36 39 41 42 45 46 47 48 49 Current Challenge
"No citizen has a right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable. " ~ Socrates
"Friends don't let friends squat high." ~ Chad Wesley Smith
"It's a dangerous business, Brodo, squatting to the floor. You step into the rack, and if you don't keep your form, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to." ~ Gainsdalf

wow, the lack of Palladium games gives me a sadz   :(

It's not a closed list, feel free to add your games on the first column!

So far looks like the most popular options are D&d (no surprise there, although I'll note the oldschool tendency for 2nd ed.), Shadowrun (yay!), Star Wars, FATE/FAE and several Warhammer games (Dark Heresy, Rogue Trader, Fantasy). Barely making it to "might be played" are Pathfinder and Iron Kingdoms.

I'm down to play as a player, just want something with some sort of fantasy setting, not real world. I'm not buying any books, so rules have to be freely available.

I suppose you would exclude...  :pirate: if I'm reading this right?

Once we've narrowed it down a bit, we'll get into stage 2, who can DM what. Once that's settled, we should be able to move on.

Lvl 65 Multitasker

I'd do pirates. I meant modern real world.

500 / 330 / 625
Challenges: 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 31 32 34 35 36 39 41 42 45 46 47 48 49 Current Challenge
"No citizen has a right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable. " ~ Socrates
"It's a dangerous business, Brodo, squatting to the floor. You step into the rack, and if you don't keep your form, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to." ~ Gainsdalf

I'd do pirates. I meant modern real world.

Actually, I was referring to copyright piracy. Most of the books are floating free around the internet in pdf format. If you're willing to look for torrents, at 4shared.com etc., pretty much all the rulebooks are available. From what I understand, you are not willing to commit piracy but would prefer games with the rules public in sites such as this one, correct?

Also, some of the popular options are near-future fantasy cyberpunk (Shadowrun) or downright space stuff (Star Wars, Warhammer 40K). Are those out of your list as well?

Lvl 65 Multitasker

I added 7th Sea to the list, since I saw 5 Rings already on there.  If you want a combat-limited game in a non-medieval setting, it's a good fit.

• Like 1

Dwarven Adventurer, level 0.

"We stand upon the precipice of change. The world fears the inevitable plummet into the abyss. Watch for that moment... and when it comes, do not hesitate to leap. It is only when you fall that you learn whether you can fly." (Flemeth, Dragon Age II)

Target Weight: 200lbs | Starting Weight: 262lbs | Current Weight: 253lbs

I'm all about that bass.

Actually, I was referring to copyright piracy. Most of the books are floating free around the internet in pdf format. If you're willing to look for torrents, at 4shared.com etc., pretty much all the rulebooks are available. From what I understand, you are not willing to commit piracy but would prefer games with the rules public in sites such as this one, correct?

Also, some of the popular options are near-future fantasy cyberpunk (Shadowrun) or downright space stuff (Star Wars, Warhammer 40K). Are those out of your list as well?

I'm open to being a scallywag, no issues there. Though I don't torrent anymore, destroyed too many computers back in the day.

Cyberpunk and steampunk are at the top of my list of wanting to do. My exclusion is to avoid the pop-culture "vampires in high school" type of crap. If there are swords, steam-powered pistols, laser guns, or lightsabers as a common weapon in the game world, I'm probably good.

• Like 2

500 / 330 / 625

I tried D&D once at a friends house and there weren't any real rules.  For actual RPG games I would say Guild Wars characters I made had a backstory as well as Skyrim.  As for creative writing, I have a NF-based 'theme world'.  I've never done any GM-related stuff, unless you count the story that I write for RPG Fanatics.

Here's the world-map for NF that I've been using for months now:

acerbus-Copy_zpsdd05d684.jpg

And here was the last campaign/accountability group:

http://rebellion.nerdfitness.com/index.php?/topic/51459-rpg-fanatics-guild-battle-of-demon-king-acerbus/

• Like 2

So, another mini-wrap up to keep us on track. If necessary, I might add a new sheet page.

• D&d: The popular option, probably the one with most DMs available too. I'd suggest worlds like Planescape or Ravenloft not just because of running something different from the typical medieval fantasy stuff, but also because they are less combat-heavy.
  • Shadowrun: One of my favourite settings, so much that I'm willing to DM it if necessary. It's a wonderful combination of fantasy and cyberpunk but pretty heavy on the rules, even out of combat. A silent approach is of course encouraged on all runs, but it's not always the case.
  • Star Wars: Not seeing a DM there.
  • FATE/FAE: Same issue. Plus the interest is 50-50.
  • Dark Heresy: Several people interested, I like the setting even if I'm not into a lot of it's lore and don't enjoy the Imperium side much. Still, anything 40K is high on my "want to play" list. DarthSnuggles claims to be an experienced player, if that means he could be our DM, we could make this happen.
  • Rogue Trader: Same as Dark Heresy. Since it's also in the 40K setting and I think the rules aren't far from Dark Heresy, if DarthSnuggles feels confident enough to be the DM, this could also be an option.
  • Warhammer Fantasy: I like it, I know it, I'd be glad to play or even DM it if need be. Only problem is that just me and 2 others are interested.
  • Pathfinder: Quite some interest on that and to be honest, I'd much prefer it instead of D&d. If c3newton can run it, it's a possibility
  • Iron Kingdoms: One of the rare occasions where we're all interested. It's pretty steampunk-y too. I am marginally familiar with the world but so excited about it that I'd be willing to DM it. My only issue is that it might be a bit heavy on the combat side and it uses a system derived from a miniature wargame, so that could prove to be a thing in Play-by-Post

Bottom line, I'd say our choices can be narrowed down to D&d, Shadowrun, Dark Heresy, Rogue Trader, Pathfinder and Iron Kingdoms. Please post your thoughts on those, as well as whether you'd be willing to DM one of them. Otherwise, we can roll a d6 and randomly pick one :P

• Like 1

Lvl 65 Multitasker

I'm in for any of them as a player, don't have time to DM right now.

500 / 330 / 625

DarK_RaideR - it appears you and I have played in some very different Planescape & Ravenloft games if you think they're less combat heavy than other D&D settings ... honestly the combat heavy/lite nature of a game comes down to the players and the GM. 

I've started using settingless systems (Savage Worlds, FATE/FAE) and making my setting within the rules frame work. 

Half-Ork Scout Leader

DarK_RaideR - it appears you and I have played in some very different Planescape & Ravenloft games if you think they're less combat heavy than other D&D settings ... honestly the combat heavy/lite nature of a game comes down to the players and the GM. 

Probably. Most of the times it was either some weak thug not worth mentioning as a serious battle or something insanely powerful that spelled death if you tried to best it in combat. But yeah, it comes down to the players and GM in any game.

I highlighted the options with bright green so we can easily look up info. By the way Strickland, you left Dark Heresy, Pathfinder and Rogue Trader blank, so I guess you're not interested in those, right?

Lvl 65 Multitasker

im interested, but dont have access to the sheet right now damn government computers! As the closet thing to any of these I have ever played is Magic the Gathering and a couple of MMORPGs (never on an RP server) I am a complete Newb.

I did almost start a D&D game got as far as looking up character classes and races, but then no one had time and everyone moved away like 2 weeks later...

Level 1 Nord  Epic Quest

STR 3 | DEX 3 | STA 2 | CON 3 | WIS 3.5 | CHA 4

Original Challenge | 1ST | 2nd | joining the bebopReturn to the rangers |

Spoiler

"They wouldn't mind a corpse of you. Now, you can luxuriate in a nice jail cell, but if your hand touches metal, I swear, by my pretty floral bonnet, I will end you." - Mal

To me Palladium had/has GREAT settings but HORRIBLE rules ...

I played a Rifts game using Savage Worlds rule a while back and when you remove mega damage (and PC dragons) the game worked WAY better... though I did enjoy my MDC party trying to fight in an SDC town when I used to run Rifts :)

yeah, after our first few player groups always resulted in a leveled town we adapted and modified the damage rules.  But we alway kept one game of MDC 'blow shit up for fun' style campaign going.

I'm open to being a scallywag, no issues there

Cyberpunk and steampunk are at the top of my list of wanting to do. My exclusion is to avoid the pop-culture "vampires in high school" type of crap. If there are swords, steam-powered pistols, laser guns, or lightsabers as a common weapon in the game world, I'm probably good.

hehe, scallywag........

Bottom line, I'd say our choices can be narrowed down to D&d, Shadowrun, Dark Heresy, Rogue Trader, Pathfinder and Iron Kingdoms. Please post your thoughts on those, as well as whether you'd be willing to DM one of them. Otherwise, we can roll a d6 and randomly pick one :tongue:

I am willing to learn and play any of these, I am with Gains on the fact I cannot buy books right now so there will need to be some free source to get the materials needed.

Tick, Tick, Tick, BOOM!!!

• Pathfinder: Quite some interest on that and to be honest, I'd much prefer it instead of D&d. If c3newton can run it, it's a possibility

I would not mind DM'ing (or GM as pathfinder calls it) sometimes for Pathfinder, but I'd like to know how you plan on doing it. If it's on here in a forum post then thats fine. I could resuscitate my old campaign ideas. I'd really like to try to focus on the RP.

Whats nice about Pathfinder is that everything is available for free. It's all 100% open source. Here is a link for anyone who is interested. http://paizo.com/pathfinderRPG/prd/

My issue is that I have little to no experience with online RP'ing. I don't have the time to format fancy backgrounds to the posts and stuff. I got burned out last time I tried running Pathfinder because I was doing it every week. On top of that I was leveling up two of the players characters, on top of it all.

I am not very strict rule wise. Meaning that if someone wants to try something, and they don't know what its called or how to correctly phrase it, I try to work it in. This is partly due to the fact that I don't want to remember every little rule (such as how bull rush needs to be calculated per person that you run into). But it will be alot easier since I wont have to do these on the fly.

I would really like to see a rotation of some kind. For instance first week is Pathfinder, second warhammer, etc. That would at least space it out a bit.

I am also 100% with Gainsdalf. I will not be buying anything for this, and am really not comfortable with torrents. The only thing I would consider buying is Warhammer 40k if the stuff I need would be somewhat affordable.

I hope we can start this soon, I honestly have been itching for some good RP.

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us." - J.R.R Tolkien

"Today I will do what others won't, so tomorrow I can accomplish what others can't."

Rants, Thoughts, and Workouts-->Battle Log | The Improvening (Current Challenge)

I tried D&D once at a friends house and there weren't any real rules.  For actual RPG games I would say Guild Wars characters I made had a backstory as well as Skyrim.  As for creative writing, I have a NF-based 'theme world'.  I've never done any GM-related stuff, unless you count the story that I write for RPG Fanatics.

Here's the world-map for NF that I've been using for months now:

acerbus-Copy_zpsdd05d684.jpg

And here was the last campaign/accountability group:

http://rebellion.nerdfitness.com/index.php?/topic/51459-rpg-fanatics-guild-battle-of-demon-king-acerbus/

I've been meaning to ask, where/how did you create that map?