Forums are back in action! ×

I haven't been doing much of anything fitness related the last few days. After a week of laze, the 5 a.m. alarm is a big nope and I reset it for my last-minute time. After school I've been doing my STEM class.  It's a lot of fun.  With the, "the class is cancelled, class is back on with a strange teacher, class is cancelled, Mr. Sloth will teach it," we lost most of the students. I have 7 really nice, really motivated boys left. We've been building our rocket cars.  So lots of scroll sawing and sanding.  I'm having a blast. 

Yesterday was our anniversary. Since we both worked late we stayed in and had take-out steaks. 

I'm still working on my finances.  I've got most things entered into an app (Personal Capital).  I'm not doing terribly, but I increased my contribution to my 401K.  It looks like I can get myself out of debt without too much trouble, but I need to remain vigilant on my spending.  Looking at the last years ledgers, dining out, bike stuff, racing expenses, and stuff I don't need from Target  are excessive. Today I ran out at lunch and bought scroll saw blades and sandpaper for the STEM class. 

I'm not teaching after school for the rest of the week.  I should be hitting it hard tomorrow. 

• Like 10

“We might as well start where we are, use what we have and do what we can." – Caitlin Rivers

Sloth: The Man with the Hammer battle log

On 4/11/2017 at 4:47 PM, Sloth the Enduring said:

They haven't had waves before. I'm going to register this weekend before the price goes up - it's too expensive as it is. I'll register for the first wave.  If we get a team together, or if TML decides we can hang with the elites, I'll email a request to change registration. 

Ok. So probably signing up today. Going off this page:

https://www.zapevent.com/reg/event/12409

I'm assuming you choose Wave 2 since for some reason Wave 1 is Team, right?

• Like 1
20 minutes ago, Rooks said:

Wave 2. Elites and Teams did run as wave 1 for the spring even as well. It's not as dumb as it sounds. I'm no sure what to expect of the fall race but for the spring race there were two waves but the second one got broken into two start groups (2a and 2b?).

You can't spell Slaughter without laughter

On 4/11/2017 at 4:47 PM, Sloth the Enduring said:

They haven't had waves before. I'm going to register this weekend before the price goes up - it's too expensive as it is. I'll register for the first wave.  If we get a team together, or if TML decides we can hang with the elites, I'll email a request to change registration. 

It's official.  I am now registered. 

• Like 2

Race: Amazonian Ogre Princess | Class: Ranger | Profession: SuperHero | Affiliation: Doodlie and Pancake for Life

Respawn Challenge Arcs: 2021 | 2022

I am not saying I am Wonder Woman. I am just saying no one has ever seen me and Wonder Woman together in the same room.

Original Spawn Challenges 2014 - 2020: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 789, 10, 11, 12 , 131415, 1617181920, 21, 2223242526272829303132, 33, 3435, 36??

Roadmaps: 2016 | 2017 | 2018 | 2019 | 2020

Starting weight = 290.4 (2014); Current weight = 241.2; Total pounds lost: 49.2

On 2017/04/13 at 1:23 AM, Sloth the Enduring said:

I haven't been doing much of anything fitness related the last few days. After a week of laze, the 5 a.m. alarm is a big nope and I reset it for my last-minute time. After school I've been doing my STEM class.  It's a lot of fun.  With the, "the class is cancelled, class is back on with a strange teacher, class is cancelled, Mr. Sloth will teach it," we lost most of the students. I have 7 really nice, really motivated boys left. We've been building our rocket cars.  So lots of scroll sawing and sanding.  I'm having a blast. 

Yesterday was our anniversary. Since we both worked late we stayed in and had take-out steaks. 

I'm still working on my finances.  I've got most things entered into an app (Personal Capital).  I'm not doing terribly, but I increased my contribution to my 401K.  It looks like I can get myself out of debt without too much trouble, but I need to remain vigilant on my spending.  Looking at the last years ledgers, dining out, bike stuff, racing expenses, and stuff I don't need from Target  are excessive. Today I ran out at lunch and bought scroll saw blades and sandpaper for the STEM class. 

I'm not teaching after school for the rest of the week.  I should be hitting it hard tomorrow. 

Seems like your having a more relaxed time still.

Our anniversary is in two weeks. I thought we should maybe plan something special because it will be 21yrs, but now we have to go to a birthday party in the morning, and that afternoon mil comes over for the weekend and a cycle race.

Your updates on finances are reminders for me with our finances. Thanks for the reminder :P Have a nice weekend.

• Like 1

Mrs. Van's Latest Challenge

Zechariah 4:6

"Not by might, nor by power, but by My spirit, saith the Lord."

On April 12, 2017 at 10:42 PM, Marauder said:

No need to worry. Still chugging along. Just taking a break from posting.  Spring is always a little crazy around my house. 

I'm happy to hear from you.  I suppose you're too busy galavanting outside the vault to be stuck online. 

On April 13, 2017 at 11:34 AM, Rooks said:

Yes, I missed the elites in wave 1 part.

*grumble* *grumble* I waited until payday to sign up and wave 2 was full so I signed up for wave 3. I'll just have to be fast enough to catch up to y'all. 

On April 13, 2017 at 3:32 PM, LadyShello said:

It's official.  I am now registered. 

Woot! Woot!

16 hours ago, elizevdmerwe said:

Seems like your having a more relaxed time still.

Our anniversary is in two weeks. I thought we should maybe plan something special because it will be 21yrs, but now we have to go to a birthday party in the morning, and that afternoon mil comes over for the weekend and a cycle race.

Your updates on finances are reminders for me with our finances. Thanks for the reminder :P Have a nice weekend.

The brain reset was good. I'm still got my chill attitude going on. 

21 years is a long time. I hope you found time for something special. Is this a redo of the bike race that got cancelled?

Finances are hard. I'm finally trying to learn how to treat money like an adult. I don't like it, but it's pure luck I haven't ended up foreclosed or in debtor's prison. 

• Like 7

“We might as well start where we are, use what we have and do what we can." – Caitlin Rivers

6 hours ago, Sloth the Enduring said:

The brain reset was good. I'm still got my chill attitude going on. 

21 years is a long time. I hope you found time for something special. Is this a redo of the bike race that got cancelled?

Finances are hard. I'm finally trying to learn how to treat money like an adult. I don't like it, but it's pure luck I haven't ended up foreclosed or in debtor's prison.

Anniversary is still coming up. We don't really have finances to go out or such, so I'll just play it by ear.

No, the cycling race that was cancelled (The Argus), is off till next year usual time when they have it again. It is literally around 15000-20000 people that take part in that race and some of the top contenders are international cyclists, so they can't re-stage it in the same year. The race she and hubby are going to take part in, end of April, is a local (also annual) road race, called the Tour Durban. It is 105km on flattish roads next to the beach front here in KwaZulu-Natal, with a lot of wind blowing in from the sea.

What gets me down about finances are when we do our best to make things work out, but things like contractors not paying in time, or other circumstances from outside that influence the situation. We've managed over a couple of years, to build up an emergency fund, but with everything that happened last year, there is no more emergency fund left. But God always provides. Somewhere there has always been a little something that comes in to tip the balance of the scale.

• Like 4

On April 15, 2017 at 3:27 AM, elizevdmerwe said:

Anniversary is still coming up. We don't really have finances to go out or such, so I'll just play it by ear.

No, the cycling race that was cancelled (The Argus), is off till next year usual time when they have it again. It is literally around 15000-20000 people that take part in that race and some of the top contenders are international cyclists, so they can't re-stage it in the same year. The race she and hubby are going to take part in, end of April, is a local (also annual) road race, called the Tour Durban. It is 105km on flattish roads next to the beach front here in KwaZulu-Natal, with a lot of wind blowing in from the sea.

What gets me down about finances are when we do our best to make things work out, but things like contractors not paying in time, or other circumstances from outside that influence the situation. We've managed over a couple of years, to build up an emergency fund, but with everything that happened last year, there is no more emergency fund left. But God always provides. Somewhere there has always been a little something that comes in to tip the balance of the scale.

Oops.  I missed the part where you said it was in two weeks.  I'm sure you'll make it lovely for your hubby who, if he's like me, will have forgotten about it because he has a race coming up (better find a way to remind him).  That sounds tough.  I'm lucky being a civil servant, the paycheck are steady and dependable. I don't think I'd be able to deal with contractors. 

The kids are getting ready for their circus show.  We've been busy driving back and forth. Training has been tepid the last few days, just short rides on the trainer. Without Yoga I am tight and constricted which means I hurt some and I'm weak. 

4/15/17 Saturday

Training: ~25 mile medium pace. 

Eating: good IIRC.

Spending: None, Accts balanced. 

4/16/17 Sunday - Easter. 

We didn't do much Easter stuff. The kids got a small (compared to what we saw on FB) basket and some chocolate eggs were hidden around the house. Later we went to an outdoor sea food eatery where I also drank a Kolsch. Step-Sloth was over. I didn't want to leave on a bike ride during his visit, instead I took an unplanned nap. 

The foster dogs are older (10-12 y.o. ?) and aren't used to people. I've been trying to get them used to being lap dogs. They're getting used to it, but laying around with a doggo puts me to sleep. 

Training: 15 mile bike ride, easy pace, just enjoying. 

Eating: let's ignore this until all of the Easter candy is gone. I'm the only one in the house who likes candy; I don't know why we keep buying it for the kids. 

Spending: Lunch out. Accts balanced. 

I'm going to put the spending goal on auto pilot. I think I'm in the habit of tracking my balances which is keeping me from buying unnecessary stuff. I have some planned bike-related purchases, but I'm committed to buying used.  We have a great cycling scene here and I see a lot of good buys on high-end goods in the FB marketplace.  I'll report out if I get stupid again. 

4/17/17 Monday - I haven't trained yet.  The mornings are really hard.  But right now I'm at circus class, the girl who trains right in front of the parent's seating has gotten really brave.  She does the big spinny hoop thing and started the year really timid. I know I've said it before, but it's really incredible watching what these kids can do. 

• Like 9

13 hours ago, Bearlee said:

Been loving the hero story and racing stuff. Now that hammer race is done what's next on the agenda? And I think heroic pink kettle bell should have been swapable with a hammer for the race, the little guy earned it.

I still haven't come up with a new name for Pinky. She's a lot heavier than a hammer; I wouldn't want to carry her for a couple of hours. 

Next up is the Borah Epic, 37 mile mountain bike race, which should take me 3 or 4 hours depending on the weather and whether or not I cramp up.  I'm going back to Simple and Sinister to build my work capacity, but I may mix in strength aerobics (clean + press + squat over and over again) and I seriously need to increase my saddle time. Which will be hard to fit in until the kids finish circus at the end of the month. 

• Like 11

I'm still off my schedule. The STEM class and the kid's circus is killing my free time. I've been doing 10X10 swings at 16kg but nothing else.  Honestly that isn't enough for a training effect. Eatings been pretty good.  I'm about to spend too much money on my science class. We're using microscopes right now, but the district only provides one type of critter to observe and every year I order a few more from a biological supply company. Tonight I'm going out to see Bob Mould perform. His music has been part of my life for decades. I'm about as excited as I get.  

Another week and a half and I get my life back. 

• Like 10

First time I've ever listened to Bob Mould, and Youtube decided to give me Voices in my Head.

And I've never heard of places where you can buy critters. Do they come alive?

Level 8 : Wizard Blacksmith 

[ STR 6 | DEX 6 | STA 5 | CON 5 | WIS 10 | CHA 4 ]

Jakkals, 2019 nommer 3

Spoiler

Adapt yourself to the things among which your lot has been cast

and love sincerely the fellow creatures with whom destiny has

ordained that you shall live.

-Marcus Aurelius

5 minutes ago, Jakkals said:

First time I've ever listened to Bob Mould, and Youtube decided to give me Voices in my Head.

Critters as in insects, yes. You can buy them as pet food here by us in pet shops, or directly from insect breeders. I buy cockroaches and superworms for our beardies.

But also wondering what critters Sloth will be buying for his class :P

17 minutes ago, elizevdmerwe said:

Critters as in insects, yes. You can buy them as pet food here by us in pet shops, or directly from insect breeders. I buy cockroaches and superworms for our beardies.

I need to get out more.

Level 8 : Wizard Blacksmith 

[ STR 6 | DEX 6 | STA 5 | CON 5 | WIS 10 | CHA 4 ]

Jakkals, 2019 nommer 3

Spoiler

Adapt yourself to the things among which your lot has been cast

and love sincerely the fellow creatures with whom destiny has

ordained that you shall live.

-Marcus Aurelius

On April 20, 2017 at 7:10 AM, elizevdmerwe said:

Hang in there!

:)  Thanks.  It's not hard, just too busy. I'm sure you can relate with your boys. 

On April 20, 2017 at 2:24 PM, Jakkals said:

He's from Minneapolis and about my age, so I've been listening to his music forever.  The last time I saw him his show was a lot like that song.  For this show he played a lot of his older, guitar-heavy, wall-of-sound music from the 80's and 90's. He finished with this song:

On April 20, 2017 at 2:31 PM, elizevdmerwe said:

But also wondering what critters Sloth will be buying for his class

There are also companies that specialize in selling critters to teachers and schools either alive or preserved. I've ordered some different single-called organisms. What's a superworm?

unicellular-organisms.png

• Like 6

:)  Thanks.  It's not hard, just too busy. I'm sure you can relate with your boys.

Yes, I do.

There are also companies that specialize in selling critters to teachers and schools either alive or preserved. I've ordered some different single-called organisms. What's a superworm?

unicellular-organisms.png

Oh, single cell under the microscope critters! I was thinking maybe critters in the line of frogs or mice? Wow, I didn't know you could get those to buy.

Superworms are a type of worm bred specifically for reptiles (and sometimes other pets) to eat. They start at pin size (far left). I buy the giants for our beardies (far right), about 100 of them, and 100 Dubia cockroaches every month. Giants are between 1-2" long. Although now with winter coming the Dubias don't breed as much and she ran out. Dubias can't fly and can't climb vertical spaces. I get very good "whole body shaking" exercise whenever I handle them. It is an involuntary exercise :P

sworm-sizes.jpg  blaptica-dubia-roach.jpg

• Like 4

12 hours ago, Sloth the Enduring said:

Training: DDP Yoga Fat Burner. 65 minutes on the trainer.  I watched Rogue One.

Eating: I've backslid on the no sweets. 

We watched Rogue One again yesterday, too.  I can't decide who my favorite characters are... I really really like Chirrut and Baze, but Bodhi to me has some really cool development for a one-film character.

Cadbury Creme Eggs were on sale at the grocery store..... the creme "yolk" was a weird orange-salmon color but it didn't stop me!!!! One, more than enough of those.

• Like 3

Tell me, if you had the strength to take another step, could you do it?

Level ?? Bard & Monk of the Furious Heart

STR.55  DEX.43 STA.48 CON.51 WIS.53 CHA.65

On 4/20/2017 at 3:31 PM, elizevdmerwe said:

But also wondering what critters Sloth will be buying for his class :P

Kittens. Kittens love microscopes

large.538357202.jpg.c6a461809a021d400b0c04fb896776ef.jpg

god that image is huge, I really should have resized that...

• Like 5

the year of living trippily

Final Boss, Part 2    Boss, Part 1  Previous:    Adult Content

Brain Weasels    Choose Your Own Adventure Woman of Mystery -   Worth i Simplicity     

Spoiler

Take it Outside II

Take it Outside

Even More Current: 52 Days

Currently Current: 100 Days

Current: Queen 2: Electric Boogaloo

Queen of the Jungle

THE PEOPLE'S CHOICE CHALLENGE

Apart six: Amazon  (part 5)

(part 3: The Wickening)

(part 2) (part 1)

Hey Brother Sloth! I haven't dropped in here in a while and just wanted to say whats up :) 

On 4/14/2017 at 8:34 PM, Sloth the Enduring said:

The bane for all of us "would-be" adults out there. Keep it up brother because then you'll have some knowledge and experience to teach the youngin's! #OnceATeacherAlwaysATeacher

On that note, STEM class sounds fun!

20170408_171254-01.jpeg

I still want to run this!

Wolf

• Like 1

Wild Wolf

Class: Peerless Scarred/ Height: 6'2 / Weight: 188#

Instagram: @ryanwolfbell / Facebook: Ryan Wolf Bell / Bible App (YouVersion) Ryan Wolf Bell

Current Challenge: Intro to Wolflean

Spoiler

Last Challenge(s): 1/2/3/4/5/6/7/8/9/10/11/12/13/14/15/16

Epic Challenges: Welcome to the Fireteam & Wolfpool 

Gotham Project: 1

Know, O prince, that once the sun burns out and the earth's core becomes solid and cold, there will come a man to provide the endless energy needed to sustain life and for the planets to keep moving. He is the source of light and the warmth of hope back into the hearts of humanity...." - Dark_Raider

A wolf rises in my heart; against my darkness; against my demons; against my despair. I DECLARE WAR!

Romans 8:28 (CSB) We know that all things work together for the good of those who love God, who are called according to His purpose.

On April 22, 2017 at 9:23 AM, shaar said:

We watched Rogue One again yesterday, too.  I can't decide who my favorite characters are... I really really like Chirrut and Baze, but Bodhi to me has some really cool development for a one-film character.

Cadbury Creme Eggs were on sale at the grocery store..... the creme "yolk" was a weird orange-salmon color but it didn't stop me!!!! One, more than enough of those.

I've never had a Cadbury Egg.  The idea of an artificial yolk creeps me out. 

I had the same thought when I watched Rogue One.  I barely noticed Bodhi on the first viewing, but he seemed pretty cool on the second. 

19 hours ago, Wild Wolf said:

Hey Brother Sloth! I haven't dropped in here in a while and just wanted to say whats up :) 

The bane for all of us "would-be" adults out there. Keep it up brother because then you'll have some knowledge and experience to teach the youngin's! #OnceATeacherAlwaysATeacher

On that note, STEM class sounds fun!

20170408_171254-01.jpeg

I still want to run this!

Wolf

It's good seeing you again Wolfie. Adulting is too hard, especially the financial aspects.  Ugh. 

The STEM class is great.  Today we're going to finalize our cars, Tomorrow we'll test run them and Saturday we race. I'll try to post a video.

The next Hammer Race is Oct. 7 if you can make your way up north.  October in Minnesota might be too cold for a Texan though. 

• Like 4