Forums are back in action! ×

Yeah, no. Don't put me down for cardio.

Hello everyone, my name is Katherine (but you can call me Kath) and I just signed up for the Academy the other day. I am also posting in those forums, but since it is a little less busy over there than here (population differences and all) I thought I would also sign up to be a rebel so I have more people to learn from/share my experience with.  :star:

I am 25 years old and have been overweight since I was a kid, and I'm currently at might highest weight of 260 lbs. (For a 5'4" chick with little muscle mass, that's... not ideal.) I big part of my problem is that I struggle with anxiety/depression, and I've been trying to get that under control for a while. Though I am still working on it, I figured it's better to start working on my health now instead of "when I feel better", because that time may not come for a while. I did lose 30lbs about a year ago (though I gained it all back in a bad depressive episode) so I know I am capable of losing weight - I just need to stick with it. 

Since I have asthma, cardio is not my favorite. (Though I can sprint! Very dangerous over short distances.) However, I actually like lifting weights, yoga, and walking, so I'm hoping to find a happy mix of those that will work for me. (I would LOVE to be able to lift heavy one day - & get some good definition to my muscles!) I am an unfit blob (with a body like Baymax) as of right now though... baby steps! 

I love playing video games, reading/watching sci-fi fantasy stuff, writing, and drawing. I also volunteer at a local animal shelter where I work in the cat adoption room. :)

More fun facts:

• If I had to compare myself to a fantasy race, I'd probably be a stout dwarf right now... who loves feasts and ale. BUT I would love to morph into a muscular warrior dwarf babe that can wield a giant axe. 
  • I live in Washington State and I am going to Emerald City Comicon this year! So excited.
  • I am a lesbian and I'm not going to lie - I would love to look good so I can score a date. My self-esteem has always been super bad because of my weight, so I've never even tried dating for fear of rejection. ;A;
  • Did I mention I love cats?
  • I am a HUGE Tolkien nerd
  • I have a sweet-tooth so overcoming that will be a big challenge for me. 
  • Because of anxiety etc. I am actually really anti-social BUT I am hoping I can stay somewhat active here and not become a hermit.
  • My favorite games are The Legend of Zelda series as well as dating sims - I MEAN BIOWARE RPGS. I am also looking forward to playing Overwatch. 

Anyway, that's a bit about me, I look forward to getting to know the community better and working on a healthier lifestyle!

• Like 5

Hello everyone, my name is Katherine (but you can call me Kath) and I just signed up for the Academy the other day. I am also posting in those forums, but since it is a little less busy over there than here (population differences and all) I thought I would also sign up to be a rebel so I have more people to learn from/share my experience with.  :star:

I am 25 years old and have been overweight since I was a kid, and I'm currently at might highest weight of 260 lbs. (For a 5'4" chick with little muscle mass, that's... not ideal.) I big part of my problem is that I struggle with anxiety/depression, and I've been trying to get that under control for a while. Though I am still working on it, I figured it's better to start working on my health now instead of "when I feel better", because that time may not come for a while. I did lose 30lbs about a year ago (though I gained it all back in a bad depressive episode) so I know I am capable of losing weight - I just need to stick with it. 

Since I have asthma, cardio is not my favorite. (Though I can sprint! Very dangerous over short distances.) However, I actually like lifting weights, yoga, and walking, so I'm hoping to find a happy mix of those that will work for me. (I would LOVE to be able to lift heavy one day - & get some good definition to my muscles!) I am an unfit blob (with a body like Baymax) as of right now though... baby steps! 

I love playing video games, reading/watching sci-fi fantasy stuff, writing, and drawing. I also volunteer at a local animal shelter where I work in the cat adoption room. :)

More fun facts:

• If I had to compare myself to a fantasy race, I'd probably be a stout dwarf right now... who loves feasts and ale. BUT I would love to morph into a muscular warrior dwarf babe that can wield a giant axe. 
  • I live in Washington State and I am going to Emerald City Comicon this year! So excited.
  • I am a lesbian and I'm not going to lie - I would love to look good so I can score a date. My self-esteem has always been super bad because of my weight, so I've never even tried dating for fear of rejection. ;A;
  • Did I mention I love cats?
  • I am a HUGE Tolkien nerd
  • I have a sweet-tooth so overcoming that will be a big challenge for me. 
  • Because of anxiety etc. I am actually really anti-social BUT I am hoping I can stay somewhat active here and not become a hermit.
  • My favorite games are The Legend of Zelda series as well as dating sims - I MEAN BIOWARE RPGS. I am also looking forward to playing Overwatch. 

Anyway, that's a bit about me, I look forward to getting to know the community better and working on a healthier lifestyle!

Welcome to the Rebellion!

Don't worry about hating high-pace cardio - honestly, you can do plenty without it.  As for weights and yoga - girl you speak my language!  Two of my favorite things!  Your desire to lift heavy is totally awesome - doooo iiiiiiiiiit.  It will help with the weight loss and make you feel powerful and awesome in the process!

And you like cats.  Make that three of my favorite things!

Oh, and the fact that I am married to a lady, so we have something else in common, etc etc.

I WON'T EVEN GET INTO MY LOVE OF BIOWARE RPGS.

Basically, welcome, you sound awesome, and if you ever have questions, concerns, confusion, or anything else, ping me!  I'd love to help you out. ^_^

• Like 2

?current challenge?

challenge archive: 19181716 | 15 | 14 | 13 | 12 | 11 | 10 | 9 | 8 | 7 | 6 | 5 | 4 | 3 | 2 | 1

instagram | goodreads

"Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world." - Voltaire

Thank you so much Maaya! (Or do you prefer starsapart?) You sound awesome too haha - it seems we have lots in common. :D

Yes I would love to be able to lift heavy. I don't have a gym membership (yet!) but I do have a variety of free weights at home - heavy ones too!

But thanks again for the warm welcome, I'll let you know if I get lost around here.

• Like 1

You can call me Maaya, starsapart, stars..... whatever.  I'm flexible. :D

If you have weights at home, that's pretty awesome!  Gym access is great but by no means required to get a good workout.

Have a good time exploring!

• Like 1

?current challenge?

challenge archive: 19181716 | 15 | 14 | 13 | 12 | 11 | 10 | 9 | 8 | 7 | 6 | 5 | 4 | 3 | 2 | 1

instagram | goodreads

"Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world." - Voltaire

Me too Skadaddle, I am using the same username and pic over there. :D

Yeah, I was a little disappointed it's not as busy in those forums, but I suppose that is not surprising given the price. I am still excited to be going through all of the academy material, but I guess I'll get my social fix over here hehe. (Being the antisocial person I am, it doesn't take too much.) 

& yeah, speaking of Zelda I got the new 3D Majora's Mask for my birthday - so much fun, so much nostalgia!

But thank you for the welcome! 

Oh, Tolkien.

You described yourself as a dwarf, so "Baruk Khazad!  Khazad Ai-menu!" *

There's you something to say when you need a boost for that last rep.  :)

(I love Tolkien.)

I'm about where you are, size wise, though I started at 252 and am down to 225 as of right now. 

I don't know what kind of help/support I can give you other than saying I know where you've been, and I promise, everyone here will help you get where you want to be.

*(For anyone who doesn't understand Tolkien dwarvish, that's "Axes of the Dwarves!  The Dwarves are upon you!")

• Like 1

SW (this time) -- 260 lbs
GW (June 1) -- 220 lbs

Thank you SevenofSeven! I hope to stick around too, and I also suffer from a cardio allergy hahaha. :D

& thank you ShadowSilk! YES I definitely need to add dwarven battle cries to my work-out routine! I look forward to getting to know the community better. 

• Like 1

OH my goodness hello! I too am from Washington, engaged to a lady, AND a cat lady extraordinaire! We have four dopey cats that I love so much :) 

Are you going to come to the meetup in Seattle next weekend? I'm not sure how far you are from there but I saw you were going to Comicon...so maybe not too far away? Anyways, hope you have fun at Comicon! I've always wanted to go but it never worked with my work schedule :P And good luck with your goals! 

• Like 1

Thanks Skadaddle, that's perfect! :D

And ooh awesome CloneClubber! (I love your name by the way - so excited for season 3 of Orphan Black!) I didn't even know there was a meetup next weekend, but unfortunately I'm going to be busy those days. Hopefully there will be another one in the future I can attend! Thank you though. :) 

• Like 1

Yay! More PNW nerds! I'm down in Vancouver. I too, came for the headline(pretty excited for Pitch Perfect 2) and I'm loving the Gimli quote. I very much want to head up for ECCC, just to meet Rachel Skarsten and Morena Baccarin(not for the reason most people would, I'd actually love for her to sign a generic coffee cup for me. "To Swarly"

• Like 2

I am the Brawlus, goo goo, g'joob.

Thanks Gmork! (Wow, sudden Neverending Story nostalgia haha.) Yes, I'll probably go see PP2 in theatres, I hope it's as cute as the first film. I am very excited for the con - going to the panels and meeting the special guests is the best part. If you can, you should go one day - it gets bigger and better every year!

Welcome Kath!

And thanks to this thread I want to go play all the BioWare D&D games ... starting with Planescape Torment as its my favorite! 

Torment_Party.gif

Half-Ork Scout Leader
Running PRs : 5K 24m16s | 10K 53m32s | 15K 1h18m09s | Half Marathon 2h1m44s | Marathon 4h42m2s 
Past Challenges #1 #2 #3 #4 #5 #6 #7 #8 #9 #10 #11 #12 #13  #14 #15 #16 #17 #18 #19 #20 #21 #22
                               #23 #24 #25 #26 #27 #28 #29 #30 #31 #32 #33 #34 #35 #36 #37 #38 #39 #40
Current Challenge Don't Call It A Comeback

Friend of mine claimed he beat Planescape Torment without fighting at all except for the "final" boss, I took it with a grain of salt but who knows!

I never got around to trying that myself, but it would be an interesting way to go about it. I'd suggest a HIGH Charisma character if you'd like to give it a try. 

• Like 1

Half-Ork Scout Leader
Running PRs : 5K 24m16s | 10K 53m32s | 15K 1h18m09s | Half Marathon 2h1m44s | Marathon 4h42m2s 
Past Challenges #1 #2 #3 #4 #5 #6 #7 #8 #9 #10 #11 #12 #13  #14 #15 #16 #17 #18 #19 #20 #21 #22
                               #23 #24 #25 #26 #27 #28 #29 #30 #31 #32 #33 #34 #35 #36 #37 #38 #39 #40
Current Challenge Don't Call It A Comeback

And ooh awesome CloneClubber! (I love your name by the way - so excited for season 3 of Orphan Black!) I didn't even know there was a meetup next weekend, but unfortunately I'm going to be busy those days. Hopefully there will be another one in the future I can attend! Thank you though. :)

I'm seriously dying here waiting for Season 3 :P I'm doing a rewatch of the first two seasons to keep me sane :D And I'm sure there will be many more meetups! I'll keep you posted ;) 

• Like 1