Forums are back in action! ×

Tabletop/Board Games

Unfortunately we have had a couple of really awesome comic/game shops shut down due to not being able to compete with the online marketplace. While I loved shopping and visiting there it was hard to justify dropping $65 on something that Amazon had brand new for $30.

Blurble sounds like an awesome creative outlet! I could definitely see the family playing that one in a bunch of different ways. Great find! 

I just played Cards Against Humanity the other day! And it was a riot. I'm not sure which was more fun; actually playing the game or watching my buddy's painfully uncomfortable explanation of some of the cards to his girlfriend. But we also played Tsuro, which is a really fast paced (and addicting) tile laying/path following game. At first it seems really simple but theres a surprising amount of depth and strategy involved.

• Like 1

Level 5 Changeling Ranger

STR:13 | DEX:14  | STA:14  | CON: | WIS:10 | CHA:5

"Success is not final, failure is not fatal."

Current Challenge | 4 | 3 | 2 | 1

Yeah, we had to define "smegma" to someone last time. We all have infants, so it led to further conversations about cleaning it out. Most people would be weirded out, but not people with babies.

Massrandir, Barkûn, Swolórin, The Whey Pilgrim
500 / 330 / 625
Challenges: 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 31 32 34 35 36 39 41 42 45 46 47 48 49 Current Challenge
"No citizen has a right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable. " ~ Socrates
"Friends don't let friends squat high." ~ Chad Wesley Smith
"It's a dangerous business, Brodo, squatting to the floor. You step into the rack, and if you don't keep your form, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to." ~ Gainsdalf

We had to define "glory holes" to someone.

Oh, that's a good one. Another fun one we've had to explain is "queef".

500 / 330 / 625
Challenges: 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 31 32 34 35 36 39 41 42 45 46 47 48 49 Current Challenge
"No citizen has a right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable. " ~ Socrates
"It's a dangerous business, Brodo, squatting to the floor. You step into the rack, and if you don't keep your form, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to." ~ Gainsdalf

Games I own and love

Boss Monster - you're the bad guy at the end of a dungeon trying to lure in heroes to kill them!

Gem Rush - bunch of dwarves trying to mine as much as they can, can be played coop or competitive. 

Loot - pirates going after mechant ships 

Love Letter - suitors trying to gain the love of the princess!

Qwirkle - scrabble with shapes and colors rather than letters

Star Fluxx - SciFi meets Fluxx!

Zombie Dice - first person to 13 total brains wins, get shot three times during your turn lose all of that turns brains 

Half-Ork Scout Leader
Running PRs : 5K 24m16s | 10K 53m32s | 15K 1h18m09s | Half Marathon 2h1m44s | Marathon 4h42m2s 
Past Challenges #1 #2 #3 #4 #5 #6 #7 #8 #9 #10 #11 #12 #13  #14 #15 #16 #17 #18 #19 #20 #21 #22
                               #23 #24 #25 #26 #27 #28 #29 #30 #31 #32 #33 #34 #35 #36 #37 #38 #39 #40
Current Challenge Don't Call It A Comeback

Mostly I play games with my nephews, who range from age 9 to 13. I aim for games I can explain relatively quickly. Some of their favourites:

Boss Monster, Bang!, Forbidden Island, Ticket To Ride, Fluxx (various versions) - all already mentioned.

Munchkin - a game I'm kind of lukewarm on, but they love it.

Smash Up, Legendary, Heroes Unite - all deck building games (of the "contains what you need in the box" variety, rather than Magic-style). Smash Up is themed around B-movie themes, Legendary is a Marvel-branded superhero game, Heroes Unite is a DC-branded game.

Dungeon! - classic old D&Dish boardgame, fairly recently re-released, where you play an adventurer who's headed into a dangerous dungeon in hopes of finding riches and glory.

Dixit - known to my nephews as "that game with the crazy pictures." I find it a fun icebreaker game. It was a Tabletop episode at one point.

• Like 1

"Curtain's up. Everyone's waiting for the hero to take the stage. And the spotlight's on you now." - Alfred, to Dick Grayson, Batman and Robin #2

Current Challenge

Played Forbidden Island last night for the first time. Definitely a good game for all ages, gets as simple or as complicated as you like, and is everyone vs the game.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

500 / 330 / 625

Forbidden Island has become a favorite in our house. We seem to alternate between that and King of Tokyo if our son is deciding what games to play. I'm thinking of picking up the expansions, does anyone have any input on them?

Ah, Munchkin. I keep hearing it mentioned but I honestly have no clue what its about. It seems to be kid and family friendly but I also hear its a simplified D&D card game?

Ah, Munchkin. I keep hearing it mentioned but I honestly have no clue what its about. It seems to be kid and family friendly but I also hear its a simplified D&D card game?

Kind of. It started as D&D-inspired satire - get rid of all the story and role-playing and such, just get down to killing monsters, getting loot, and making outrageous puns. It's now a fairly big franchise, with lots of themed sets and expansions and such. It skids towards the highly random, not very strategic end of the spectrum, which does make it very kid and casual player friendly. It does suffer a bit from the "20 minutes of exciting gameplay packed into an hour long game" problem, but that's only an issue for people with some exposure to better designed games - it's certainly more exciting than "bore the family" games like Monopoly.

It tends to be chalk full of in-jokes - related to D&D in the standard game, and to other genres in the various themed sets - to the extent that I have no idea what a non-D&D player gets out of the game. But my nephews find it hilariously funny and they aren't particularly immersed in D&D lore, so something clicks for them. They've actually made up a bunch of their own cards to use, with in-jokes from their group of friends, which I find pretty cool - I don't know of any other game that's made them go to that kind of creative effort.

• Like 2

"Curtain's up. Everyone's waiting for the hero to take the stage. And the spotlight's on you now." - Alfred, to Dick Grayson, Batman and Robin #2

Current Challenge

My wife-to-be and I have played a few games with just the two of us. We've had a lot of fun, and a bit of success, playing co-op games like Pandemic, Forbidden Island, and Eldritch Horror. But if Risk is your cup of tea they have a two player variant called balance of Power. Another fun game, if you have a slightly dark sense of humor and enjoy story telling, is Gloom.

Agricola

Android Netrunner (Perfect for two players.)

Apples to Apples

Arkham Horror

Bang! (A lot of different genres to choose from.)

Battlestar Galactica (Clear your afternoon. Longer than Agricola depending on your choices. Way better with 6 players.)

Betrayal at House on the Hill

Boss Monster

Cards Against Humanity

Caverna (similar to Agricola, but with dwarves and mine exploration added)

Citadels (Better with a full game.)

Cosmic Encounter (Get this. Get it. NOW. Each expansion allows a new player.)

Cyclades

Dead of Winter

Dixit

Dominion (This too. Base game is great, but better with expansions. Another good one for two players.)

Eclipse

Elder Sign

Fiasco (For people who enjoy roleplaying and storytelling. Especially handy for learning how to. No two games will ever be the same. Ever.)

Five Tribes

Fluxx

Hanabi

Hive

King of Tokyo / New York

Last Night On Earth

Lords of Waterdeep

Love Letter

Machi Koro

Mansions of Madness

Munchkin

Pixel Tactics (Good for two players.)

Resistance (Better with more than 4 players. Avalon allows for a few more options.)

Saboteur

Samurai Spirit

Sellswords

Sheriff of Nottingham

Star Realms (Good for two players.)

Takenoko (Eat all the things)

Tokaido

Twilight Imperium

Werewolf (Requires a larger group. A lot of different versions. Research which suits the level of complexity you want.)

Zombies!!!

It's been a while since I've played some of these. A few I've only seen played, but really liked the artwork and mechanics and my friends seemed to really enjoy them.

• Like 2

-BUSCH

The Cones of Dunshire.

• Like 2

500 / 330 / 625

Gains....yer fired. 

So...there's Scoville, and thats pretty fun (maybe I mentioned it already). I'm kinda a fan of Guillotine, its a cute little game. Lifeboat is a small game thats fun...especially if you love and hate yourself.. Hmm, as for the King of Tokyo expansions...man I wish I would have jumped in here yesterday, but Miniature Market had King of NY for $25. I've not played that base game, but I hear that it integrates with KoT fine. Then there's the Halloween pack which is fun with the costumes and the power up pack is pretty fun as it allows your wee monster to evolve and get evil (only works with KoT). 

Heh, lately I've been looking at Kickstarters and funded waaaay too many...I sense the Mrs. will kill me soon

The Cones of Dunshire.

Gains....yer fired. 

I was so sad when the kickstarter to turn it into a real game failed again.

500 / 330 / 625

Small World can be played with 2. It actually comes with differently sized boards, for different numbers of players (2-5)

Long Term Goals:                                                                                                              

Spoiler

200# 245# Snatch                                                                                                             

300# Clean and Jerk                                                                                                         

380# 465# Back Squat

450# 500# Deadlift

Planche

Human Flag

Front Lever

285# Log Clean and Press

1k Row under 3:20

Back Flip

Bodyweight Turkish Get-up

For physical training is of some value, but godliness has value for all things, holding promise for the present life and the life to come. 1 Timothy 4:8

Never compromise.

King of Tokyo

I take King of Tokyo as a party fun game rather than a serious game. The random dice element of such games is what really shifts them from strategy to random fun.

Half-Ork Scout Leader
Running PRs : 5K 24m16s | 10K 53m32s | 15K 1h18m09s | Half Marathon 2h1m44s | Marathon 4h42m2s 
Past Challenges #1 #2 #3 #4 #5 #6 #7 #8 #9 #10 #11 #12 #13  #14 #15 #16 #17 #18 #19 #20 #21 #22

^ oh, I know. And I don't want to come off as a curmudgeon who only likes heavy strategy games, because really quite the opposite! I just don't think KoT is a very fun party game either ;).

I prefer Star Fluxx myself, if we're going random party games

Half-Ork Scout Leader