Forums are back in action! ×

This is going to be the most important question I could ever ask...

Guest Snake McClain

Guest Snake McClain

This year, very soon, I am going to be starting school and I am having a terrible and frustrating time nailing down what i want to study specifically. I'm going crazy racking my brain trying to decide for sure what i want to do. The problem is (of course) deciding between what I CAN do that will make me money and what I WANT to do that most likely won't do crap for me.

So I guess I'm wondering what would YOU do? Because I'm f***ing lost. *shrug*

So the question is: what do you WANT to do? (okay, the first question)

I ended up studying something most other people would consider horrible (math) but it's really worked well for me. Ultimately if you go into something that you're not really interested/comitted to, you won't keep at it or you will have a miserable few years. Also, do you have to declare a major straight off, or can you spend a semester or two 'shopping around'? You may find a subject which fits both criterion, which surprises you.

Guest guest4729

I study International Business with a minor in German. :)

You have to find what you like and go with it. Would you want to make big money doing a job you absolutely abhor? Or would you rather make mediocre money doing a job you love? I'd choose the mediocre money in a heart beat.

Also, almost all of the Alumni from my school that I've talked to end up working in a field outside of their degree. My boyfriend does Marketing research when he went for Economics and German. I've met people who went for education and ended up in Geology. I've met people who went for Biology and ended up doing IT/Computer repair. I've met people who went for Finance and ended up selling homes. Just because you go for one specific thing does not mean you can't branch out or change your mind. You might end up for school a little longer, but does that really matter if you're trying to find a job that makes you happy?

Do what you love or don't bother, you'll just be torturing yourself. I COULD have gone for accounting and wanted to kill myself through my years of college but then made TONS of money afterwards, but why do it when I hate it? I chose my major because it's something I know I could wake up and LOVE to do.

That's a hard question. I have two degrees and I'm only slightly interested in one of them... so.. there's that. I say go to school, take some stuff, check out some classes and see what strikes you. THEN decide. You should be able to enroll as undecided.

"I'm just going to remember to not eat like an asshole most of the time" - MoC

three words I can sum up everything I've learned about life: one must squat.- Brobert Frost
 Half-Elf Warrior | Current Challenge
 New Battle Log | Old Battle Log
Special thanks to AkLulu for drawing my awesome avatar!

Guest Snake McClain
So the question is: what do you WANT to do? (okay' date=' the first question)

[/quote']

Well...I WANT to go to school for something involving literature/creative writing and maybe journalism. I'd like to one day have a magazine that is all nerd related stuff. gadgets, tech, comics, cons...all things fandom. But i want to write fiction as well. Just to be a better writer. But i also love science but i'm pretty poor at math and stuff because i was lazy in my younger years. anyway. Something writing/english related is what i want to do.

Well...I WANT to go to school for something involving literature/creative writing and maybe journalism. I'd like to one day have a magazine that is all nerd related stuff. gadgets, tech, comics, cons...all things fandom. But i want to write fiction as well. Just to be a better writer. But i also love science but i'm pretty poor at math and stuff because i was lazy in my younger years. anyway. Something writing/english related is what i want to do.
My suggestion is go for a technological major (Computer Science, Engineering etc) and a minor in lit/journalism. The tech major gives you the knowledge to put a more realistic spin on your fiction and helps you write intelligently about gadgets and gizmos.

Also remember that most people don't use their degree. I'm only one of four people in my group of friends who do use their degree. I'm an electrical engineer, and the others are two lawyers and a computer programmer.

Half-Ork Scout Leader
Running PRs : 5K 24m16s | 10K 53m32s | 15K 1h18m09s | Half Marathon 2h1m44s | Marathon 4h42m2s 
Past Challenges #1 #2 #3 #4 #5 #6 #7 #8 #9 #10 #11 #12 #13  #14 #15 #16 #17 #18 #19 #20 #21 #22
                               #23 #24 #25 #26 #27 #28 #29 #30 #31 #32 #33 #34 #35 #36 #37 #38 #39 #40
Current Challenge Don't Call It A Comeback

Guest Snake McClain
My suggestion is go for a technological major (Computer Science, Engineering etc) and a minor in lit/journalism. The tech major gives you the knowledge to put a more realistic spin on your fiction and helps you write intelligently about gadgets and gizmos.

Also remember that most people don't use their degree. I'm only one of four people in my group of friends who do use their degree. I'm an electrical engineer, and the others are two lawyers and a computer programmer.

i've actually considered that. having a double major or major/minor. Just...I'm 30 in less than two months and i don't want to be in school forever. i'm sort of behind the game on everything.

i've actually considered that. having a double major or major/minor. Just...I'm 30 in less than two months and i don't want to be in school forever. i'm sort of behind the game on everything.

Don't worry about it. My ex went through 5 different majors in undergrad before he figured out what he wanted to do... and it took a long time. He finally settled on something he loves and was close to 30 when that happened.

"I'm just going to remember to not eat like an asshole most of the time" - MoC

three words I can sum up everything I've learned about life: one must squat.- Brobert Frost
 Half-Elf Warrior | Current Challenge
 New Battle Log | Old Battle Log
Special thanks to AkLulu for drawing my awesome avatar!

I'm an electrical engineer, and the others are two lawyers and a computer programmer.

EEs unite!

Back on topic, go to school for a few years, get some contacts, then ditch school and go your own route. That's my suggestion.

Also, what happened to Wrastlin'?

Second also, isn't the most important question along the lines of "Will you marry...."? At least that is what rom-coms have taught me.

"Pull the bar like you're ripping the head off a god-damned lion" - Donny Shankle

I'm 41 and I'm looking at going back to school at least part time. I was majoring in Psych when I was in college and then ended up dropping out and going into IT.

Part of the reason I dropped out was because I felt 'behind' from were everybody else was. (4 years in the military). Study something you enjoy and you will be most likely to finish. Most companies just look for a degree, not what the degree is in. Take advantage of interships to help build skills and contacts and get a better feeling for what you want to end up doing.

Well, you could teach yourself about the stuff you want to do and focus your efforts on getting a degree in what will make you money. For example, you could do some kind of tech degree so people will hire you for it and you can make money. Then on the side self teach yourself everything you would need to know to start up the magazine. If you're running it, you don't need a degree to get someone to hire you, but you would still know what you needed to by teaching it to yourself.

I've been considering doing something similar. The biggest thing to get here is that a degree is just a piece of paper used to say "Look, an institution agrees that I know a lot in this field", which is only important if you need to prove that you know a bunch in that field. If you don't, like if you're running something yourself and don't need someone to hire you, teaching yourself by reading the books that it is usually taught from in a class is just as good.

Massrandir, Barkûn, Swolórin, The Whey Pilgrim
500 / 330 / 625
Challenges: 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 31 32 34 35 36 39 41 42 45 46 47 48 49 Current Challenge
"No citizen has a right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable. " ~ Socrates
"Friends don't let friends squat high." ~ Chad Wesley Smith
"It's a dangerous business, Brodo, squatting to the floor. You step into the rack, and if you don't keep your form, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to." ~ Gainsdalf

Guest Snake McClain

Also, what happened to Wrastlin'?

Second also, isn't the most important question along the lines of "Will you marry...."? At least that is what rom-coms have taught me.

"rasslin'" (lol) is still happening. It's one of those things that won't realistically make money. There are THOUSANDS of them in the states and you've probaly heard of 20. So yeah. It's anumbers game. i know what i want out of it and it isn't (at least my goal isn't) to make a ton of money off it. It's just for fun to tell a good story and entertain.

Regarding the second also: I was married once. She cheated and was a grade a doucher beeyotch. Not the first woman to burn me so I'm sort of doing the celebate thing for...ever hopefully. Women don't seem to treat me kind so for me no this is not the most important question.

I'm 41 and I'm looking at going back to school at least part time. I was majoring in Psych when I was in college and then ended up dropping out and going into IT.

Part of the reason I dropped out was because I felt 'behind' from were everybody else was. (4 years in the military). Study something you enjoy and you will be most likely to finish. Most companies just look for a degree, not what the degree is in. Take advantage of interships to help build skills and contacts and get a better feeling for what you want to end up doing.

See I've considered this but for me the degree (if in writing of some form specifically) is to have some real formal training and to improve myself in it. To prove to MYSELF, "hey bro. you totally did this. good job." Also for the whole "get money until i can do my own thing".

I have already talked to some friends who would love to do the same thing about starting up a podcast and website about such things. We'd like to make room for advertising and such of course. make it look totally legit. I have researched terribly far into it as it always seemed impossible. That's my biggest problem in my life probably is feeling like nothing will work out and everything is too big or far away. i need to get that out of my head.

I think this is good advice. get going some where and just use those steps to get moving. Sound advice.

Well, you could teach yourself about the stuff you want to do and focus your efforts on getting a degree in what will make you money. For example, you could do some kind of tech degree so people will hire you for it and you can make money. Then on the side self teach yourself everything you would need to know to start up the magazine. If you're running it, you don't need a degree to get someone to hire you, but you would still know what you needed to by teaching it to yourself.

I've been considering doing something similar. The biggest thing to get here is that a degree is just a piece of paper used to say "Look, an institution agrees that I know a lot in this field", which is only important if you need to prove that you know a bunch in that field. If you don't, like if you're running something yourself and don't need someone to hire you, teaching yourself by reading the books that it is usually taught from in a class is just as good.

Often times, your degree will not be related to your actual field of work. For many employers, the fact that you have a 4-year degree is more important than what it is in.

I was going to go to Cornell, but then decided to go to Northwestern because they offered a program in Environmental Engineering. 4 years and many twists and turns later, I graduated with a degree in Comparative Literary Studies with minors in Computer Science, Spanish, and Classics. The minor in Comp Sci. got more attention than my degree, and while my actual degree serves me well in analytical and communication skills, it's mainly an icebreaker.

I printed this off and gave it to my boss:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]1543[/ATTACH]

post-70-13567243313872_thumb.jpg

Repairing a lifetime of bad habits...

Guest Snake McClain
Often times, your degree will not be related to your actual field of work. For many employers, the fact that you have a 4-year degree is more important than what it is in.

I was going to go to Cornell, but then decided to go to Northwestern because they offered a program in Environmental Engineering. 4 years and many twists and turns later, I graduated with a degree in Comparative Literary Studies with minors in Computer Science, Spanish, and Classics. The minor in Comp Sci. got more attention than my degree, and while my actual degree serves me well in analytical and communication skills, it's mainly an icebreaker.

great comic strip. lol

It's funny that you posted a Dilbert strip because I was about to bring up Scott Adams. He was an engineer long before becoming the comic writer. He started the comics when he was working as an engineer. He is a prime example of how a job fueled his creative mind to go on to better things.

Level 6 Wizard of Beer Warrior
STR 21.25 | DEX 5.75 | STA 7.75 | CON 3.50 | WIS 9.50 | CHA 3.25
Twitter | Epic Trip | Current Challenge
Previous Challenges: 1 2 3 4 5
*the warrior formerly known as icedtrip and former dothraki god of thunder furyan*

My favorite items in my inbox are Nerd Fitness (so happie to be here!) and Live Your Legend:

http://liveyourlegend.net/

Scott Dinsmore covers the how-tos of starting a money-making blog and LOTS of other topics to get You where You want to be. I don't want to blog but his info on finding Your passion has genuinely helped me.

There are others like

http://manvsdebt.com/

themiddlefingerproject.org

illuminatedmind.net

They all will walk You through being paid to blog.

As far as picking what to do in school goes aptitude tests don't work. (unless it is from http://www.jocrf.org/: The Johnson O'Connor Research Foundation is a nonprofit scientific research and educational organization with two primary commitments: to study human abilities and to provide people with a knowledge of their aptitudes that will help them in making decisions about school and work. And even then having not been able to take their test I can't say they work but they do get good reviews.)

I say read Live Your Legend to find out Your passion and how to focus it. & good luck

Oh, and as for me....started Pre-Vet, then Pre-Med, then dabbled in Psychology, and landed in Business. Graduated and worked in the IT field, and am now a human capital analyst. Not quite sure there is any logical reasoning behind how I did things and ended up where I am. It's OK to dabble and see what is there for you, but in the end, my suggestion is to go with what you know you'll love doing. Like others have said, a nice backup that can help with that love is even better.

Level 6 Wizard of Beer Warrior
STR 21.25 | DEX 5.75 | STA 7.75 | CON 3.50 | WIS 9.50 | CHA 3.25
Twitter | Epic Trip | Current Challenge
Previous Challenges: 1 2 3 4 5
*the warrior formerly known as icedtrip and former dothraki god of thunder furyan*

I started as computer science and switched to English teaching (8-12). It took me 6 sixs, but I don't regret a day of it because it introduced me to some great people that I think I was supposed to meet.

As someone who has been in the English department, I would recommend that you major in journalism and just take creative writing electives (or minor in it) if those are the things you're interested in. You do need to be a creative writing major to be good. In fact, many of the majors in my creative writing classes had a lot of work to do.

bruce, i have my BA in journalism. worked at my school newspaper, worked for the chicago sun-times after college for awhile, that didn't work out, and i realized that it's wicked hard to have a decent journalism job that a) doesn't put you in the middle of nowhere and B) pays a sustainable amount of money. i'd say that half the people i worked w/ at the paper are still in journalism. follow your dreams, but know that writing will most likely not reap many dollah dollah bills, and you'll have to work grueling hours at a newspaper.

...we, each of us, are responsible for our own fulfillment. Nobody else can provide it for us, and to believe otherwise is to delude ourselves dangerously and to program for eventual failure every relationship we enter. - Tom Robbins

Current Challenge: Life, man.

I'd agree that the CS/CE degree with a minor in english/lit might be a good option. I started working towards my CS degree when I had just turned 31. :) Yeah, an engineering degree is kinda grueling sometimes, but I still expect to be done before I turn 35 *fingers crossed*, and that will include a math minor. If I had another 6 mnths I'd do the double major of CS and CE but.. I just don't have that luxury right now.

That said, I know a few CS majors who started out on one path, took a few classes and realized it wasn't for them. You can always enroll undeclared, take some general ed classes and a few major specific and see which you enjoy the most.

Tiffany -Elven Ranger & Derby Girl
STR 7 | DEX 5 | STA 4 | CON 3 | WIS 4 | CHA 3
@moxie_hart. Tumblr. Fitocracy

As the mom of two teen girls I tell them to do what they LOVE and the money will come. Seriously....I have tons of friends who listened to their parents and DID what would make them money and they are basically dragging themselves out of bed each morning and hating going to work and then, the things people tell you will make you money in this economy they slip out from under your feet.

Do what you love, what will interest you and keep you motivated...money is not the most important thing in your life...as a young person sometimes you think it is, but having an interesting life with people who love you and living adventurously with more happiness than sadness, that is the best kind of life...you will know what is right for you if you listen to your heart.

The real world is bizarre enough for me....Blue Oyster Cult!

Oystergirl: Bad Assed Lightcaster (aka wizard!)

STR: 2 | DEX: 3 | CON: 3 | STA: 2 | WIS: 4 | CHA: 5

Oystergirl's Bad Ass Lightcaster Wicked Rocking Adventure Challenge!

Come visit my wicked rocking Nerd Fitness blog!

Here's a question...do you need to get a degree? If you want to do creative writing, then you're better off just writing as much as you can in your spare time and talking to actual writers. Creative writing at uni's interesting, but won't guarantee that you'll end up being a writer.

And as far as degrees that will put you on a track towards making money, consider that you're waiting 4+ years before you're able to start making any cash. You might be better off doing a short vocational course in an area that you have some interest in, getting a job in that field (even if it's more junior than you want) then doing the degree part-time. Once you're working in the industry, just working towards a degree is nearly as good as having completed one. A completed degree only looks nice on a resume (in most cases), but the best jobs come from being headhunted or recommended.

BAREFOOT DAWSY

Scout Commander (ret.)

Guest Snake McClain
Here's a question...do you need to get a degree? If you want to do creative writing, then you're better off just writing as much as you can in your spare time and talking to actual writers. Creative writing at uni's interesting, but won't guarantee that you'll end up being a writer.

And as far as degrees that will put you on a track towards making money, consider that you're waiting 4+ years before you're able to start making any cash. You might be better off doing a short vocational course in an area that you have some interest in, getting a job in that field (even if it's more junior than you want) then doing the degree part-time. Once you're working in the industry, just working towards a degree is nearly as good as having completed one. A completed degree only looks nice on a resume (in most cases), but the best jobs come from being headhunted or recommended.

The only reason I want the degree for writing is because I personally believe the more i study at it formally the better I will become. Just to improve and polish my skills in a way that hanging with my other writing friends has not done. something a bit more...focused i guess.