Forums are back in action! ×

This post is my first 20 seconds of courage :D

Hi everyone, I've never posted on a forum before, but I'm not letting myself overthink it so let's jump right in!

I'm Jon, and although I've read various articles on Nerd Fitness for a while now, I've never really gone ahead and been a part of the community, which I'm glad to be doing now :)

I really enjoy being active; for most of my life (as in the first 16 years), I've had to stay in my room in my house, overprotected and sheltered. Then, after turning 16, I went to college on the other side of the country, and truly experienced freedom and independence for the first time. I fell in love with it, and I fell in love with being active. Despite having a heart condition that doesn't seem like it has a solution, I love going out and just doing things, LIVING! 

I've been part of the swim team (but had to drop out because my heart doesn't like me), part of the track team because I love sprinting, I've gone hiking on mountains and I can't get over how much I love it, I've taken a brazilian jiu jitsu class that I really enjoyed (but had to prematurely quit before even the first belt), sailing is a breeze (get it?:D(it's actually not, I love it but I'm frankly terrible)), I love strength training in the gym because it feels AWESOME, and the activity I love most would definitely be tricking (an aesthetic blend of martial arts and gymnastics).

Having spent far too much time around toxic people in my life, I'm excited to be part of a community where I can support and be supported as well. If we've all got each other's backs, sounds like a fun place to be :D 

• Like 2

20 seconds of courage at a time is all it takes! Fellow (former) heart patient here - I TOTALLY understand what you mean about being overprotected and sheltered! Heart conditions can be super scary and make being active difficult at times but as long as you are in tuned to your body, know warning signs that mean that maybe you need to stop what you are doing, there is no reason to not try all the things. Before I had my surgery, (about 12 years ago now), I forced my Mum to let me take up dance classes, roller bladed all the time (back when roller blading was cool) and begged to go on roller coasters - poor Mum was terrified, but once you have lived with a tricky ticker all your life one learns how to be very self aware of what your body is doing and how you are feeling, at least that is what I found.

Now, 12 years on, I am still woefully unfit, but that has to do with my own laziness and bookish nature, and not because I get sick if I work out longer then five minutes. Good luck with your goals!

Blog: https://seekingcassandra.blogspot.com/

Current Challenge:  SeekingCassandra is planning a comeback

Previous Challenge:

"One day, they may write about me as a traitor, a madwoman, a fool. And they may be right."

It's a hugely supportive place! Welcome to the fold!! 

Raptron, alot assassin

67666564636261605958 575655545352515049484746454443424140393837363534333231302928272625242322212019181716151413121110987 | 6 | 5 | 4 | 3 | 2 | 1