Forums are back in action! ×

tenor.gif?itemid=13026309

Hi guys! I'm excited to start Yoga with Adriene's newest yoga journey tomorrow, January 1, and I'm looking for acountabilibuddies to take the journey with me:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1URy0H0PsuY7q3kg2DknUaCAsiq0pDgdCBAhlJ3d0RnU/edit?usp=sharing

I'm using Owaves, a daily schedule app, to set aside time every evening before or after dinner to do the latest video. Feel free to use this thread for comments, questions and remarks as well as using the spreadsheet to track your progress.

See you on the mat!

• Like 1
  • Wow 1

SKY ELVENWORD NOBLEHEART

The Silver Archer, Ranger Level 53

Jesus-follower | Writer | Encourager | Resident Myers-Briggs and Enneagram Geek 

"Knowing that we can be loved exactly as we are gives us all the best opportunity for growing into the healthiest of people." - Fred Rogers

Daily Yoga for my challenge just got sorted! I may still use specific runner's recovery/leg and hips focused videos on some days, but this sounds like a great challenge, and where possible I'll follow it daily. Even if I do the leg mobility first. 

See you on the mat, my friend. Let's get flexible!

• That's Metal 1

“All You Have To Decide Is What To Do With The Time That Is Given To You.” - Gandalf

Journey to the Mountain of Knowledge - Chapter One: A Pocketful of hope (current challenge)

Spoiler

Previous Challenges: 1|2|3|4|5|6|7|8|9|10|11|12|13 1415|16|17|18|19|20|21|22|23|24|25|26|2728 29|30 A Bold New Year   Rhovaniel forges herself anew 

The Chronicles of Rhovaniel, Dúnedain Ranger: Vol I, Vol IIVol III, Interim| Vol IV|Vol V 

Well, I definitely had no need for an extra leg mobility session today. That one was a slow burn, but tough on my poor DOMSy quads! I feel pretty good after it though :) 

• Like 1

“All You Have To Decide Is What To Do With The Time That Is Given To You.” - Gandalf

Journey to the Mountain of Knowledge - Chapter One: A Pocketful of hope (current challenge)

Spoiler

Previous Challenges: 1|2|3|4|5|6|7|8|9|10|11|12|13 1415|16|17|18|19|20|21|22|23|24|25|26|2728 29|30 A Bold New Year   Rhovaniel forges herself anew 

The Chronicles of Rhovaniel, Dúnedain Ranger: Vol I, Vol IIVol III, Interim| Vol IV|Vol V 

Well I'm off to a less-than-great start - in my morning burst of energy I thought that of course I would have time for both a 3-mile walk and a 48-minute yoga session today (in addition to laundry, dishes, shopping, meal planning, a couple of phone calls, pet care and house cleaning).  /facepalm/  To put a positive spin on it, I figured out that won't work going forward.  :P  I hate having to play catch-up from the beginning of the challenge but it is what it is. I'll double up some shorter ones later in the week! 

(So glad there are some twisty lunges, @bigm141414! They're my favorite!  :D )

• Like 1

SKY ELVENWORD NOBLEHEART

"Knowing that we can be loved exactly as we are gives us all the best opportunity for growing into the healthiest of people." - Fred Rogers

It's all about setting up the habits, right? I'm hoping that eventually I will get into a routine where I go to the mat at a specific time, but right now, I'm happy enough slotting it in whenever I make it work.

• Like 2

Spoiler

Day 2 is complete. The meditation portion in the beginning was nice since I did this first thing in the morning.

Side benefit of spending time doing yoga: I realized how incredibly dusty my floors are and went to mop down the whole apartment. Nothing worse than being distracted by dust motes when I am trying to feel the flow.

• Like 3

"Pull the bar like you're ripping the head off a god-damned lion" - Donny Shankle

Day 1 (which officially, I guess, is Day 2) done! You weren't kidding, BGM, that slow pace was grueling!

(And yes, that is the cat's litter box in the background, I apologize ...)

• Like 2

SKY ELVENWORD NOBLEHEART

On 1/2/2021 at 4:46 PM, bigm141414 said:

Hahah. I may or may not have been grumbling under my breath about a 48 minute yoga video on day 1. I felt allllllll of my muscles protest. My hips were not a fan of the lunge twist-y portion.

Same here. My left hip said ow.

Looks like I will be joining for this. I completed day 1 yesterday. 

• Like 2

Current Challenge

# 39#38 | #37 | #36 | #35 |#34 | #33 | #32 | #31 | #30#29#28#27#26#25 | # 24 | #23#22#21 | #20 | #19 | #18 | #17#16#15#14 | #13 | #12 | #11 | #10#9#8 | #7 | #6 | #5 | #4 | #3 | #2#1 | Battle Log

Instagram | Goodreads

Heyoooo I'm doing this too! Although I started today, not on the first.  I just now realized she's uploading new ones so I don't think I did the "right" one this morning. I Do any of you know what time she posts them? I'm doing yoga around 7:30am PST so I might just be off by a day and do "yesterday's" each morning.

• Like 2

?❄️ Inside we're torn apart, but time will mend our hearts ...so let's just live ??

Last Challenge: Fox and the Imaginary Seaside Summer | Current Challenge: Fox Keeps it Simple (with RWBY gifs)

Just now, bigm141414 said:

Welcome!

Day 3 is the most current video. They get posted I think around midnight central time. I did day 3 this morning at 6am PST so the video was already up by then.

Ohhhhh okay I was looking for Day 4! Cool, thank you!

?❄️ Inside we're torn apart, but time will mend our hearts ...so let's just live ??

Last Challenge: Fox and the Imaginary Seaside Summer | Current Challenge: Fox Keeps it Simple (with RWBY gifs)

Day Three complete. I needed that, mentally more than physically today. 

• Like 1

Spoiler

Day 2 done! Neither body nor brain wanted to do this one today but I got it done. Also all the head circles and me checking my form in the camera makes me look a little possessed, so enjoy that:

(For those just joining, videos are totally optional and not a requirement to do the challenge, obvs, I just film them to motivate myself and keep a record of what I've done!)

• Like 2

SKY ELVENWORD NOBLEHEART

17 hours ago, SkyGirl said:

(For those just joining, videos are totally optional and not a requirement to do the challenge, obvs, I just film them to motivate myself and keep a record of what I've done!)

You've inspired me to at least attempt a time lapse video of myself. I have no idea if i have good or decent form so this'll be helpful.

• Like 2

"Pull the bar like you're ripping the head off a god-damned lion" - Donny Shankle

Okay, who asked Adriene to throw in all those glute bridge holds for today? That part felt like an extension of my workout more than anything! ?

• Haha 1

Spoiler

Finished day 2. Does anyone else struggle with planks? I feel like I can barely hold a proper plank for >15s without breaking form. Even on my knees a true, full body, tight plank is 25s max and my whole body is shaking by then. 

• Like 1

Current Challenge

# 39#38 | #37 | #36 | #35 |#34 | #33 | #32 | #31 | #30#29#28#27#26#25 | # 24 | #23#22#21 | #20 | #19 | #18 | #17#16#15#14 | #13 | #12 | #11 | #10#9#8 | #7 | #6 | #5 | #4 | #3 | #2#1 | Battle Log

Instagram | Goodreads

Just now, miss_marissa said:

Finished day 2. Does anyone else struggle with planks? I feel like I can barely hold a proper plank for >15s without breaking form. Even on my knees a true, full body, tight plank is 25s max and my whole body is shaking by then. 

Planks are hard. I can usually hold 30s or more but I took a video of myself doing a push up last month and my plank form was not very tight especially around the curve of my lower back, so I do suspect my form could use some tightening and I paid more attention to the hollow body shape today. Unfortunately I think doing them is probably the best way to improve, although I bet some of the more dynamic yoga moves can gradually strengthen all the muscles needed to hold a plank longer. My biggest struggle with the day 2 routine was my wrists. I wasn't able to hold the second plank because the strain in my wrists was too much. I've found that Adriene's yoga for wrist pain video is really helpful, and when I'm doing yoga consistently my wrists are much stronger. But the planks were too much today.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, bigm141414 said:

You've inspired me to at least attempt a time lapse video of myself. I have no idea if i have good or decent form so this'll be helpful.

I've found it's helpful for my form! It makes the time lapse look a bit weird as my head is rapidly pivoting back and forth, but it's worth it!  :D 

2 hours ago, Rhovaniel said:

Okay, who asked Adriene to throw in all those glute bridge holds for today? That part felt like an extension of my workout more than anything! ?

Thank you for giving me a preview of what to expect tomorrow!!  :o 

1 hour ago, miss_marissa said:

Planks are hard!! They engage so many muscles all at the same time! I know I tend to keep my hips up too high - Adriene's explanation of "reach your heels toward the back edge of your mat" in Day 3 really helped me figure out how to engage my quads and glutes to help with that a bit, but it's still a process. I did Day 3 today and I was shaaaaaaking after just 15 or 30 seconds of planks!!

1 hour ago, foxinthenorth said:

Planks are hard. I can usually hold 30s or more but I took a video of myself doing a push up last month and my plank form was not very tight especially around the curve of my lower back, so I do suspect my form could use some tightening and I paid more attention to the hollow body shape today. Unfortunately I think doing them is probably the best way to improve, although I bet some of the more dynamic yoga moves can gradually strengthen all the muscles needed to hold a plank longer. My biggest struggle with the day 2 routine was my wrists. I wasn't able to hold the second plank because the strain in my wrists was too much. I've found that Adriene's yoga for wrist pain video is really helpful, and when I'm doing yoga consistently my wrists are much stronger. But the planks were too much today.

This is helpful for me too! The wrist exercises in Day 2 were excruciating - I'm glad I'm not the only one who struggled with them!

• Like 2

SKY ELVENWORD NOBLEHEART

Day 3 done! I was in SUCH a bad mood coming to the mat and I absolutely did not want to do yoga or anything at all besides crash on the couch and eat chips - but whoop whoop, I did not do so:

This one left me feeling really good, even though it was really hard (my upper body is going to be mad at me tomorrow). Also, I'm really feeling a lot of fatigue and soreness in my back this time - that could be at least partly because of being back in my office chair post-vacation, but the timelapse hides a loooot of fidgeting and discomfort.  ?  Still a great practice anyway!

• Like 3

SKY ELVENWORD NOBLEHEART

5 hours ago, SkyGirl said:

Day 3 done! I was in SUCH a bad mood coming to the mat and I absolutely did not want to do yoga or anything at all besides crash on the couch and eat chips - but whoop whoop, I did not do so:

Showing up when you really aren't feeling it is huge! Well done!

• Thanks 1

Spoiler

Wooo just found this PvP and jumping in! I started the YWA thing on 2 Jan, so I’m a day behind everyone. Still working on the best time of day to do it... I was thinking mornings, but there is so much introspective breathing stuff that it might make a better post-work transition to usher in a chill evening. Either way, my fate is to do it with pets: my cat and one of my dogs seem absolutely enthralled by Adrienne’s voice and come waltzing over to my mat as soon as they hear it start up.

• Like 1
  • That's Metal 1