Forums are back in action! ×

Any RolePlayers here?

By the way Strickland, you left Dark Heresy, Pathfinder and Rogue Trader blank, so I guess you're not interested in those, right?

That would be correct ... I know NOTHING about WarHammer or WH40K so I'll pass on all those properties

As for Pathfinder I view it as is just D&D 3.75 and I've no book in that arena plus there are honestly better systems for fantasy gaming. 

Half-Ork Scout Leader
Running PRs : 5K 24m16s | 10K 53m32s | 15K 1h18m09s | Half Marathon 2h1m44s | Marathon 4h42m2s 
Past Challenges #1 #2 #3 #4 #5 #6 #7 #8 #9 #10 #11 #12 #13  #14 #15 #16 #17 #18 #19 #20 #21 #22
                               #23 #24 #25 #26 #27 #28 #29 #30 #31 #32 #33 #34 #35 #36 #37 #38 #39 #40
Current Challenge Don't Call It A Comeback

Death to the double posting!

Half-Ork Scout Leader
Running PRs : 5K 24m16s | 10K 53m32s | 15K 1h18m09s | Half Marathon 2h1m44s | Marathon 4h42m2s 
Past Challenges #1 #2 #3 #4 #5 #6 #7 #8 #9 #10 #11 #12 #13  #14 #15 #16 #17 #18 #19 #20 #21 #22
                               #23 #24 #25 #26 #27 #28 #29 #30 #31 #32 #33 #34 #35 #36 #37 #38 #39 #40
Current Challenge Don't Call It A Comeback

As for Pathfinder I view it as is just D&D 3.75 and I've no book in that arena plus there are honestly better systems for fantasy gaming. 

Ive honestly never played anything else like it before so I can't say if there is anything "better".

But since its 100% free its available to everyone on here. And the games as good as we make it right? I thought the big focus here was going to be RP anyways right?

I really enjoyed pathfinder when I led it. Even people with no experience in RP enjoyed it.

• Like 1

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us." - J.R.R Tolkien

"Progress, not perfection."

"Persist, Pivot, or Concede." - Matthew McConaughey

"Today I will do what others won't, so tomorrow I can accomplish what others can't."

Rants, Thoughts, and Workouts-->Battle Log | The Improvening (Current Challenge)

Let's see...

im interested, but dont have access to the sheet right now damn government computers! As the closet thing to any of these I have ever played is Magic the Gathering and a couple of MMORPGs (never on an RP server) I am a complete Newb.

I did almost start a D&D game got as far as looking up character classes and races, but then no one had time and everyone moved away like 2 weeks later...

What matters is that you're open to learn, so I'm considering you can be a player in whatever ends up being played.

I am willing to learn and play any of these, I am with Gains on the fact I cannot buy books right now so there will need to be some free source to get the materials needed.

Wonderful! I love this attitude instead of "I don't want this, I don't like that" :P

I would not mind DM'ing (or GM as pathfinder calls it) sometimes for Pathfinder, but I'd like to know how you plan on doing it. If it's on here in a forum post then thats fine. I could resuscitate my old campaign ideas. I'd really like to try to focus on the RP.

Whats nice about Pathfinder is that everything is available for free. It's all 100% open source. Here is a link for anyone who is interested. http://paizo.com/pathfinderRPG/prd/

My issue is that I have little to no experience with online RP'ing. I don't have the time to format fancy backgrounds to the posts and stuff. I got burned out last time I tried running Pathfinder because I was doing it every week. On top of that I was leveling up two of the players characters, on top of it all.

I would really like to see a rotation of some kind. For instance first week is Pathfinder, second warhammer, etc. That would at least space it out a bit.

I am also 100% with Gainsdalf. I will not be buying anything for this, and am really not comfortable with torrents. The only thing I would consider buying is Warhammer 40k if the stuff I need would be somewhat affordable.

Uhm, I thought we had all agreed on doing it a Play by Post already :D

Rotation is a good idea, but if we're talking about a rotation of worlds/systems, it should be done in a wider timeframe than "every week". Complete a Pathfinder adventure, then run a Warhammer adventure etc. This would also mean massive character creation, as each time we'd have to make new ones, at least the first time we play each game/system/world. Rotation of DMs on the other hand could be a thing. But come to think of it, we'd have to finish adventures again first. No sense in learning stuff as a DM, then next week pretending I'm unaware of it while playing my character. Also, looks like D&d is the only thing where there are more than 1 potential DMs. Considering the rate at which Play by Post games go along, I'd say let's get something running and keep it small scale, like a one-off adventure instead of planning a grand campaign. Once that's over, we can discuss whether we'd like to switch to a new game or hand over the keys of the game to another person.

More specifically: I would suggest you run us through a short Pathfinder adventure. Plenty of people interested, classic medieval fantasy more or less and anyone familiar with D&d rules can catch up quickly. Once that's done, I'd be willing to DM something weirder, like Shadowrun, Warhammer Fantasy or Iron Kingdoms for a change. Or DarthSnuggles could run a 40K game. That way we can try out more systems and spread out the DM work.

• Like 1

Lvl 65 Multitasker

Uhm, I thought we had all agreed on doing it a Play by Post already :D

Rotation is a good idea, but if we're talking about a rotation of worlds/systems, it should be done in a wider timeframe than "every week". Complete a Pathfinder adventure, then run a Warhammer adventure etc. This would also mean massive character creation, as each time we'd have to make new ones, at least the first time we play each game/system/world. Rotation of DMs on the other hand could be a thing. But come to think of it, we'd have to finish adventures again first. No sense in learning stuff as a DM, then next week pretending I'm unaware of it while playing my character. Also, looks like D&d is the only thing where there are more than 1 potential DMs. Considering the rate at which Play by Post games go along, I'd say let's get something running and keep it small scale, like a one-off adventure instead of planning a grand campaign. Once that's over, we can discuss whether we'd like to switch to a new game or hand over the keys of the game to another person.

More specifically: I would suggest you run us through a short Pathfinder adventure. Plenty of people interested, classic medieval fantasy more or less and anyone familiar with D&d rules can catch up quickly. Once that's done, I'd be willing to DM something weirder, like Shadowrun, Warhammer Fantasy or Iron Kingdoms for a change. Or DarthSnuggles could run a 40K game. That way we can try out more systems and spread out the DM work.

I have the beginner quest for pathfinder. It came in the beginner box. We could run through that. You guys could create your own characters and everything. Then we could see how it goes?

It has some exploration, some fighting, interaction, and a boss battle. We could see how it all works out in PBP.

And I am confused. I don't see why we couldn't create our characters, then use them again in the next adventure. Why would we have to create new ones the next time? One adventure itself is going to take more than 1 week, considering everyones differing schedules. I guess I am sort of confused as to how we would go about doing the PBP thing maybe?

• Like 1

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us." - J.R.R Tolkien

"Today I will do what others won't, so tomorrow I can accomplish what others can't."

Rants, Thoughts, and Workouts-->Battle Log | The Improvening (Current Challenge)

^im all for everything in this post. Keep it simple the first time through, make sure we have a solid core, and then expand if we like.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Massrandir, Barkûn, Swolórin, The Whey Pilgrim
500 / 330 / 625
Challenges: 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 31 32 34 35 36 39 41 42 45 46 47 48 49 Current Challenge
"No citizen has a right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable. " ~ Socrates
"Friends don't let friends squat high." ~ Chad Wesley Smith
"It's a dangerous business, Brodo, squatting to the floor. You step into the rack, and if you don't keep your form, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to." ~ Gainsdalf

I have the beginner quest for pathfinder. It came in the beginner box. We could run through that. You guys could create your own characters and everything. Then we could see how it goes?

It has some exploration, some fighting, interaction, and a boss battle. We could see how it all works out in PBP.

Sold.

Let's get this party started already!

wwprty.gif

Lvl 65 Multitasker

Ok... it says suggested 4 players, lvl 1 characters. I can adjust the difficutly if we need to. But I think that it can handle a few more people without being too difficult.

• Like 1

I need to take a look at the patherfinder site at home, because everything ive seen thus far is books you have to pay for.

Level 1 Nord  Epic Quest

STR 3 | DEX 3 | STA 2 | CON 3 | WIS 3.5 | CHA 4

Original Challenge | 1ST | 2nd | joining the bebopReturn to the rangers |

Spoiler

"They wouldn't mind a corpse of you. Now, you can luxuriate in a nice jail cell, but if your hand touches metal, I swear, by my pretty floral bonnet, I will end you." - Mal

How about we just go with the 4 premade character stats? You pick which you class you want and we go from there. Or do you all want to see all your different stats and stuff for this go around?

• Like 2

I've always wanted to roleplay with tabletop games but I've always been a little too intimidated, both by the amount of rules and numbers and by the reactions I've seen online of experienced players towards new ones. I just think to myself "These people aren't going to have the time and patience to teach someone like me, I'd probably just annoy them with all my easy questions and take away their enjoyment of the game with my slow pace."

I've tried to learn on my own but I keep getting confused. I know there are places I could learn but then there's also a time and money issue.

It's all very discouraging.

Calorie Counting/ Nutrition Tracking for a year on MyFitnessPal+Fitbit One (365 days = .27% per day, Day 74):

19.98%
19.98%

New Year's Resolution - Healthy Weight/BMI for Summer (June 1st, Get to about 130 lbs/22 BMI approx. in 152 days/21 weeks starting from 153 lbs = 4.35% per pound, currently 142):

47.85%
47.85%

Graduate Culinary School {20% per section: F.O.H. ( A ), Hot Foods ( C ), Garde Manger [Cold Foods], Bakeshop, Test}     Passed Certifications: ServSafe, Management

40%
40%

Fitbit, MyFitnessPal

Intro  Challenges: 1 2 Reset 3

I'll try to find time to read up on it tomorrow and have a character rolled up by Wednesday.

With the play by post, it's typically more organized and very useful to have an "in character" game thread where everything is strictly in game and an OOC out of character thread for player/DM talk and questions.

You'll also need to come up with a rule for posting rates so people don't fall behind. Typically 1-3 times per week.

500 / 330 / 625
Challenges: 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 31 32 34 35 36 39 41 42 45 46 47 48 49 Current Challenge
"No citizen has a right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable. " ~ Socrates
"It's a dangerous business, Brodo, squatting to the floor. You step into the rack, and if you don't keep your form, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to." ~ Gainsdalf

I'll try to find time to read up on it tomorrow and have a character rolled up by Wednesday.

With the play by post, it's typically more organized and very useful to have an "in character" game thread where everything is strictly in game and an OOC out of character thread for player/DM talk and questions.

You'll also need to come up with a rule for posting rates so people don't fall behind. Typically 1-3 times per week.

I think that once we get the ball rolling and start an official one seperate threads will be good. But I think that this being the first one and kind of an expirement keeping them in the same thread can be helpful. Especially for the newer players.

Of course if everyone would rather have seperate threads I can adjust it accordingly.

Interesting.

Riffing on earlier posts - I play in a 4e D&D game and I'm running a Call of Cthulhu game that I'm currently converting to 7e (woo early access to rules).

My main game has always been World of Darkness though - I ran a Vampire: the Masquerade game for 7+ years and got most of the rulebooks for Requiem as well. I also played a lot of Werewolf and Hunter. I've always enjoyed the system in WoD more than most other games.

I've been working on creating my own game, loosely based on BRD rules, for post-apocalyptic games. Fallout meets The Dark Tower-esque game.

I likely won't have time to participate in this game - but I'll likely follow for the entertainment.

• Like 3

Level 5 Viking Berserker

Str: 10 | Dex: 10 | Stam: 8 | Con: 15 | Wis: 18 | Cha: 12

Battle Log || Current Challenge Log

Fitocracy | My Fitness Pal | Runkeeper

Twitter | Xbox Live: ravnos13 | PSN: CrawlingChaos13

Nintendo ID | Steam ID | Battle.net: ravnos#1547

Any issue with me posting as a character without a complete sheet, and getting you the sheet later in the week?

• Like 1

500 / 330 / 625

None at all! This first week or so is getting you guys to interact so I can see how it flows. What I can add in etc.

So basically its getting used to the whole PBP role play interaction end for me.