Forums are back in action! ×

12 hours ago, Sloth the Enduring said:

T

I guess I could self-medicate with pre-workout.  It might be easier than trying to get a scrip for a controlled substance from Health Partners. 

Not sure where I got the idea you were something for ADD? Looked again at your post and you were clearly not.  Ah well,  I did say I make up my own words when I read labels, I suppose I do that now for posts too. :lol:

Wisdom 22.5   Dexterity 13   Charisma 15   Strength 21  Constitution-13

"Love the Lord your God with all your heart, and with all your soul, and with all your strength, and with all your mind' Luke 10; 27

On 10/1/2016 at 9:48 AM, Sloth the Enduring said:

We spent two days getting the kids to write and perform a short rap about mass, weight, and gravity. It was supposed to take half an hour. 

This sounds like an awesome assignment. 

21 hours ago, Sloth the Enduring said:

10/1/16 Saturday

I spent the afternoon cleaning the house.  Afterwards we went to a retirement party for my wife's boss.  It was a really swanky affair. I was aghast when I found out the per plate price.  We were seated at a table with crazy ladys. You know the type - incessant, insistent chatter that's in your face and prying into your personal life and space. Because of Facebook these people I didn't know were able to ask really personal questions. It was really hard for me to take and it set me off. 

We left after a couple of hours and went straight to our 30th high school reunion. I would never go to my own reunion, but Mrs. Sloth and I went to school together, so I went to hers.  I only talked to like five people in high school, no one knew me.

Old fat guy: Oh, you're married to Cyndi? Where did you go to school?

Me: With you.

I was already in a pissy mood, but I tried my best. I really did.  I ended up socializing with a few people that I knew in real life.  Mrs. Sloth took pity on me and we left after an hour or so.  There was a couple there whose kids I taught.  They introduced me around to our fellow classmates. :)

Expensive work party AND a high school reunion in the same night?!  The horror.  I feel your pain.  

21 hours ago, Sloth the Enduring said:

My college girlfriend Facebook messaged me and asked if I wanted my first mountain bike back. Hell yeah.  It's almost 30 years old, but before I gave it to her I upgraded it and built it into a snazzy commuter.  I bet she never rode it and it's still in great shape.  Mrs. Sloth also assented to my buying a new road bike if I can't find a used one I like.  She thought it would cheaper than teacher PTSD therapy. Things are looking up. 

But the potential to add 2 new bikes to your arsenal, with approval, has got to almost make up for the excessive social activity. 

• Like 2

Race: Amazonian Ogre Princess | Class: Ranger | Profession: SuperHero | Affiliation: Doodlie and Pancake for Life

Respawn Challenge Arcs: 2021 | 2022

I am not saying I am Wonder Woman. I am just saying no one has ever seen me and Wonder Woman together in the same room.

Original Spawn Challenges 2014 - 2020: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 789, 10, 11, 12 , 131415, 1617181920, 21, 2223242526272829303132, 33, 3435, 36??

Roadmaps: 2016 | 2017 | 2018 | 2019 | 2020

Starting weight = 290.4 (2014); Current weight = 241.2; Total pounds lost: 49.2

On 10/1/2016 at 9:48 AM, Sloth the Enduring said:

Nerd Stuff: Slothgirl and Slothmom are making an Ewok Halloween costume and I bought Slothboy the Yoda costume he wanted. I might wear a Jar Jar Binks mask just so I can talk funny.

This makes me realize I should come up with nicknames for my wife and daughter in my thread.  Totally stealing that idea.  Thanks!

On 10/2/2016 at 10:19 AM, Sloth the Enduring said:

Thansk, that's a kind offer.  I had some time to kill in Highland and went into GNC and was down sold from Cellucor to something that was mostly beta alanin, creatine, and caffeine.  He said the other stuff was a gimmick. I haven't tried it yet. 

Yeah.  Like 12 hours after I posted that, it popped into my head that might come across really weird.  You know... a random guy you've met once offering to give you 2 baggies of white substances on the internet.  Nothing bad could ever come from a situation like that.  

• Like 6
On October 2, 2016 at 0:13 PM, Big_Show said:

So you got two bikes out of the day! Result!

63418136.jpg

On October 2, 2016 at 0:50 PM, Jakkals said:

Why so many? The main reason I want to go to my 30th reunion is to show off my six pack. I've got 18 months.

Found you and following for the biking.

Out of curiousity I counted.  Freshman year I didn't talk to anyone.  I skipped lunch and read sci fi in the library rather than try to sit by anyone.  I don't remember sophomore year.  Junior/Senior there were two stoner dudes that I talked music with, four guys who ran cross country with me, and the three guys who also didn't have anyone else to eat lunch with. For nine.

On October 2, 2016 at 1:01 PM, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

Good job swinging the hammer again, don't stop.

aa1c8fae2393294cb3788a99f2c27e45a1c52474

On October 2, 2016 at 8:45 PM, The Most Loathed said:

work party then reunion...someone could have died.. I'd bail you out though.

I would not have fared will with that social calendar.

I'll hold you to that.  One day I'm going to snap.

On October 2, 2016 at 11:25 PM, Elastigirl said:

Not sure where I got the idea you were something for ADD? Looked again at your post and you were clearly not.  Ah well,  I did say I make up my own words when I read labels, I suppose I do that now for posts too. :lol:

Because I need to deal with it.  I got talked to at work for ignoring my paperwork.  When I'm not medicated I have a low tolerance for doing bull shit. 

The other day I was sent to the store for ketchup, but because I didn't have my readers with me I brought home buffalo sauce. That did not go over well. 

On October 3, 2016 at 8:41 AM, LadyShello said:

This sounds like an awesome assignment. 

Expensive work party AND a high school reunion in the same night?!  The horror.  I feel your pain.  

But the potential to add 2 new bikes to your arsenal, with approval, has got to almost make up for the excessive social activity. 

Approval for for a new road bike makes up for a lot.  I'm excited to get an old bike back too.  I never should have gotten rid of any of them. 

On October 3, 2016 at 3:01 PM, mr_willes said:

q0p1h.jpg

Best idea ever!

Hah.  Thanks.

On October 3, 2016 at 3:53 PM, Rooks said:

This makes me realize I should come up with nicknames for my wife and daughter in my thread.  Totally stealing that idea.  Thanks!

Yeah.  Like 12 hours after I posted that, it popped into my head that might come across really weird.  You know... a random guy you've met once offering to give you 2 baggies of white substances on the internet.  Nothing bad could ever come from a situation like that.  

Now I wish I had said yes.  Maybe a little something, something is just what I need to get moving during the hammer race. 

3 hours ago, Jakkals said:

According to my Facebook, today is Teacher day.

%257B15%252B%257D+HD+Images+of+Teachers+

Awww, thanks.  

• Like 2

“We might as well start where we are, use what we have and do what we can." – Caitlin Rivers

Sloth: The Man with the Hammer battle log

The new STEM teacher is good, better than I was at it.  She's using my room because she doesn't have her own classroom. The other day things must have gotten a bit out of hand.  Someone took a scissors and cut the coat I leave at school.  In 19 years no one has vandalized my stuff before; I was livid.  Some one, probably the same some one, turned on the eye wash as they left.  It makes a huge fountain and flooded the room below causing tens of thousands of dollars of damage.  The teacher got reamed out by the principal and the after school coordinator. She's new, she hasn't lost her trust in the students yet.  Until they hire an assistant teacher I will be "supervising" in the room while she teaches.  It was either that or they cancel the class. 

The principal did an observation the other day and gave me a great review. I didn't see it, I felt like things were going poorly.

I tried taking GABA for sleeping.  It makes me feel torpid all day long.   I did sleep soundly though. I'll save it for emergencies. 

For the last few days:

training: not hammering as much as I should.

eating: fairly clean, but too much.

nerding: nope. 

• Like 4

“We might as well start where we are, use what we have and do what we can." – Caitlin Rivers

2 hours ago, Sloth the Enduring said:

Because I need to deal with it.  I got talked to at work for ignoring my paperwork.  When I'm not medicated I have a low tolerance for doing bull shit. 

The other day I was sent to the store for ketchup, but because I didn't have my readers with me I brought home buffalo sauce. That did not go over well. 

A

I guess just squinting and  making up your own words isn't always the best answer;)

That's crazy that a kid cut up your coat and vandalized the school room. Wow. That is good of you to offer to help in the classroom.

"Love the Lord your God with all your heart, and with all your soul, and with all your strength, and with all your mind' Luke 10; 27

I guess just squinting and  making up your own words isn't always the best answer[emoji6]

That's crazy that a kid cut up your coat and vandalized the school room. Wow. That is good of you to offer to help in the classroom.

In my defense, the buffalo sauce was with the ketchup, in a bottle that looked like all the real ketchup bottles, and it had a picture of a tomato on it, not a buffalo.

Crazy is the correct word for it. The student I suspect caused the damage ought to be in a specialized setting. When I saw the class list I told the teacher that if I knew he was in the class I wouldn't have offered up my classroom.

I believe in the program, I don't want it to go away. It was designed for the smart kids from disadvantaged backgrounds who are falling behind because they aren't challenged. It had a great track record of boosting those kids up and into college. The problem is that these days it's funded by a program for remedial students and it isn't having the same impact.

Anyway, I expect my help will be short lived. They've already posted for an assistant teacher. I won't actually be helping much, I'll be grading papers and setting up my labs and whatnot. But my mere presence will prevent vandalism from happening. The kids must be afraid of me. ;)

• Like 5

1 minute ago, Sloth the Enduring said:

In my defense, the buffalo sauce was with the ketchup, in a bottle that looked like all the real ketchup bottles, and it had a picture of a tomato on it, not a buffalo.

Crazy is the correct word for it. The student I suspect caused the damage ought to be in a specialized setting. When I saw the class list I told the teacher that if I knew he was in the class I wouldn't have offered up my classroom.

I believe in the program, I don't want it to go away. It was designed for the smart kids from disadvantaged backgrounds who are falling behind because they aren't challenged. It had a great track record of boosting those kids up and into college. The problem is that these days it's funded by a program for remedial students and it isn't having the same impact.

Anyway, I expect my help will be short lived. They've already posted for an assistant teacher. I won't actually be helping much, I'll be grading papers and setting up my labs and whatnot. But my mere presence will prevent vandalism from happening. The kids must be afraid of me. ;)

Would it be frowned upon if you brought your sledgehammer to class? Maybe just a kettlebell?:lol:

• Like 6

Would it be frowned upon if you brought your sledgehammer to class? Maybe just a kettlebell?:lol:

That's were I keep Pinky (12 kg) for clean & press ladders when my brain needs a break. I ought to bring in The Boss (24 kg). Sadly, I can't press it.

I really ought to bring the curl bar back too. At 50# it impressed the Hell out of the kids when I curled it.

Elastigirl, you're a genius! The two years when I curled and pressed in class regularly were two of the best behaved classes I've had. I'm bringing the weights back to school on Monday.

• Like 11

5 minutes ago, Sloth the Enduring said:

That's were I keep Pinky (12 kg) for clean & press ladders when my brain needs a break. I ought to bring in The Boss (24 kg). Sadly, I can't press it.

I really ought to bring the curl bar back too. At 50# it impressed the Hell out of the kids when I curled it.

Elastigirl, you're a genius! The two years when I curled and pressed in class regularly were two of the best behaved classes I've had. I'm bringing the weights back to school on Monday.

:lol: I was actually just trying to be funny about the kids being scared of you. But, hey , I'll take the I'm a genius.:)

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Sloth the Enduring said:

This makes me happy in ways I didn't expect.

• Like 6

Current Challenge

"By the Most-Righteous-and-Blessed Beard of Sir Tanktimus the Encourager!" - Jarl Rurik Harrgath

But my mere presence will prevent vandalism from happening. The kids must be afraid of me. [emoji6]

DO NOT MESS WITH THE SLOTH.

Screenshot_20161006-090636.thumb.jpg.56f

• Like 8

Big Show: Human Swift Hunter

Respawning. One day at a time.

Battle Log: Operation Wedding Suit - Take 2

Previous challenges: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42 

Sloth girl has absconded with my tablet to play a math game (Prodigy). Since it has wizards and old-fashioned math I don't mind. It does mean a short phone update.

I had another observation, by the Assistant Principal. Someone at district must be on them to get in the classrooms. It went really well. Luckily she wasn't there when I was the doddering old teacher who couldn't figure out the A.V. Equipment.

Training: nope because I've been sleeping. I don't mind making that trade.

Eating: like an adult mostly.

Tonight is nerd night. I've got to stay sober though. Tomorrow is Hammer Race. I am stoked for it. I am ten pounds heavier than last year, in worse shape and we'll be fording a rain-swollen river in the cold. Even still I am stoked.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 9

Kick the Hammer Race in places it won't be able to discuss with its grandmother.

In Texas the state education agency has come up with a hairbrained scheme where all administrators must do 20 1 hr observations.

Per week.

I'm not kidding.

• Like 1

Current Challenge

"By the Most-Righteous-and-Blessed Beard of Sir Tanktimus the Encourager!" - Jarl Rurik Harrgath

Kick that HammerRace right where it hurts. 

• Like 1

Race: Amazonian Ogre Princess | Class: Ranger | Profession: SuperHero | Affiliation: Doodlie and Pancake for Life

Respawn Challenge Arcs: 2021 | 2022

I am not saying I am Wonder Woman. I am just saying no one has ever seen me and Wonder Woman together in the same room.

Original Spawn Challenges 2014 - 2020: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 789, 10, 11, 12 , 131415, 1617181920, 21, 2223242526272829303132, 33, 3435, 36??

Roadmaps: 2016 | 2017 | 2018 | 2019 | 2020

Starting weight = 290.4 (2014); Current weight = 241.2; Total pounds lost: 49.2

24 minutes ago, Sloth the Enduring said:

I took a whole scoop of pre-workout. I am wired a.f. I'm not sure that was a wise pre-race strategy. :)

giphy.gif

GET THAT HAMMER RACE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

giphy.gif

• Like 5

Tell me, if you had the strength to take another step, could you do it?

Level ?? Bard & Monk of the Furious Heart

STR.55  DEX.43 STA.48 CON.51 WIS.53 CHA.65

On October 5, 2016 at 11:50 PM, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

This makes me happy in ways I didn't expect.

I'm glad you're happy Tank.  I tried a Shiner Seasonal last night on your recommendation, it was really good. 

On October 6, 2016 at 2:08 AM, Big_Show said:

DO NOT MESS WITH THE SLOTH.

Screenshot_20161006-090636.jpg

Hah. 

On October 6, 2016 at 6:56 AM, Sylvaa said:

In our house, this is not viewed as a bad thing.

Little kids don't like spicy.  Again, why did this bottle of hot sauce have a tomato on it?

On October 7, 2016 at 5:09 PM, Elastigirl said:

Enjoy the Hammer Race! Can't wait to hear all about it.

Thanks.

On October 7, 2016 at 5:41 PM, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

Kick the Hammer Race in places it won't be able to discuss with its grandmother.

In Texas the state education agency has come up with a hairbrained scheme where all administrators must do 20 1 hr observations.

Per week.

I'm not kidding.

That is absurd. The problem is teachers tend to be liberal and their unions endorse Democrats so for years the politicians on the right have been trying to break the profession. In between getting tenure and these laws I didn't have a principal come into my room once in ten years. I appreciate the trust, but that was absurd too.  There has to be a happy middle ground where teachers are held accountable without preventing us from actual teaching. Or principaling as the case may be. 

On October 7, 2016 at 7:02 PM, LadyShello said:

Kick that HammerRace right where it hurts. 

Thanks. 

On October 8, 2016 at 9:46 AM, Big_Show said:

GO SLOTH! WIN THE THING!

THANKS!!! 

On October 8, 2016 at 10:02 AM, shaar said:

giphy.gif

GET THAT HAMMER RACE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

giphy.gif

Awww for cute.  

• Like 2

Race Report

I'm detrained right now, but that didn't stop me from doing all right. I lined up front and center and ran with the leaders.  There were 5 or 6 guys who could actually run and they got ahead of me, but there was a huge gap behind me.  I maintained this place for a couple of miles. Starting at the front was awesome - I didn't have to wait for a single obstacle, that's where you really lose time. 

Most of the race is straight up and down the fall lines of the bluffs, so you can't actually run much of it.  There were a lot of wall climbs and crawls through tunnels.  The river was flooded and fast so the river fording was out this year.  Considering it was about freezing when I woke up, I didn't mind that. We still went through a swamp, so I got my share of cold water. They had a new obstacle a tire drag, I've actually trained that and I made a little time there. 

At at around the two mile mark, I came out of a tunnel, stood up, got dizzy and fell over.  A little too hypoxic.  After that I switched to running for 10 breaths and walking for 10 breaths. People started to catch me after that. At around the 4 mile mark I got to the top of a long steep, loose hill climb and threw up.  After that I walked and more people caught me. 

Most at of the hammering was near the end of the race.  By that point my shoulders were burned out from farmer's carrying the hammer and all I had in me were little taps even though I had a 12# sledge. 

When I finished I was beat-down tired, but I think I did alright. I was behind the people who could run, but ahead of the people who don't. Based on the number of people that passed me I'm guessing around 20th place. I don't discount the very real possibility that my oxygen-starved brain didn't notice whole hordes of people passing me or that I might have passed out on the course and had a stampede jog past me.

• Like 14