Forums are back in action! ×

Another attempt at mixing fitness and tabletop RPGs [Beta Test phase]

The ranger takes a look around and realizes the whole team hasn't joined in the fun! He dodges his way through the crowd, just managing to avoid a stray tankard and bar stool flying through the air, and steps outside. The air is crisp and he draws a deep breath, welcoming the change from the hot melee inside. He turns to his left, and sees his animal companion hawk perched on the fence just outside the pub doors. Her eyes are vigilant, having heard the commotion inside and feeling her masters excitement she knew it was only a matter of time before she was fetched. The ranger puts out his arm and she hops on. He strolls casually back inside the pub and whispers to her "ready to have some fun?". In one fluid motion that can only be the result of years of companionship, the hawk takes flight above the crowd as the ranger dives smoothly back into the fight with a smile on his face.
  • Like 1

Once the melee cools down, the Brobarian lets out the rest of his fury with a mighty roar “Let none around these parts say that he met Grogar and did not yield before his strength!”. The huge man flexes his pecs and biceps as an exclamation point to his statement, while the patrons pick themselves up from the floor. Some, apparently frequent patrons who already know the drill, begin to reassemble their stools, chairs and tables with a groan of pain here and there. Still in lynx form and free from social conventions, the Druid has no problem licking the rest of her unicorn tears and rainbow cocktail off the floor. As the Ranger removes the last splinters of wood stuck in his beard, the Assassin settles back into her seat with cat like grace. “Well, so much about passing by unnoticed” she muses. “Bartender, another round of drinks, please. And bring us something to write on while you’re at it”. As everyone resumes their seats and the Druid returns to her regular form, the beverages are served and a parchment is strewn across the table. “Well,” the Ranger starts after savouring the first gulp of his new pumpkin ale, foam bubbling on his moustache, “t’be good to know where we are and what the nearest village is, good sir”. An experienced man in the business, the burly bartender smiles at the request. “A favor for a favor, strangers. As all others of my craft, I trade in ale as much as I do in rumor. Tell me of yourselves so I can talk of your deeds and I’ll tell you of the surrounding area.”

“My name is Tavianna” the elven Druid responds, her voice made all the more melodic thanks to her cocktail. “You’ve already met Grogar” she points towards the Brobarian. “The bearded man is Gale, Ranger of the Woods and the halfling mistress goes by the name of Zamira.”

Map.jpg

“This be the Dancing Pony Inn, a name I’ve maintained despite countless infringement lawsuits” the barman says, as he puts an ink blotch on the parchment to mark the location of his establishment. “The nearest settlement is the village of Clearwater, few days to the north of here. Nice little place, but not much to it. All it’s got is water springs a-plenty and nobody bothers with a place like that. Maybe that’s why the neighboring Empire never cared, its ruling body called The Soda Syndicate only cares to produce copious amounts of sugary drinks and they don’t give a goblin’s butt what kind of water they use. If there’s any water at all in it, if you know what I mean. I’ve heard rumors. Anyway, I go there once or twice a year myself. Not many know that the secret to a good beer is the clearest, freshest water one can find!”

Instructions

Details of the journey and the surroundings are left to you. There’s three ways you can aid the heroes this week and here's the spreadsheet for it all. Depending on total performance, what happens next week could be dramatically different.

1. For every day you stick to your nutrition plan (or if you don’t have one, simply for every day you feel like you didn’t overindulge and eat bad) mark one point on the Quartermaster column. For every 10 points on the column total, the heroes made a very efficient use of their travelling rations and managed to consume one less portion

2. For every minute walking, running, rucking, hiking or generally covering distance, mark one point on the Trailblazer column. For every 1.000 points on the column total, the heroes arrive at the village of Clearwater a day earlier than expected

3. For every minute spent in any kind of training, mark one point on the Scout column. For every 10 points on the column total, any minor wild animals or monsters encountered along the way were either safely avoided or quickly dispatched before they could summon reinforcements.

• Like 5

Lvl 65 Multitasker

I like how the way to earn points shifts each week and that it's based on a different goal. I'm glad I wasn't drinking anything when I read about copyright lawsuits.

• Like 3

Current Challenge

"By the Most-Righteous-and-Blessed Beard of Sir Tanktimus the Encourager!" - Jarl Rurik Harrgath

The group welcomes the new information and a small, but dignified tip slides toward the barkeep. If this is the closest thing they have to a rumor mill, they want easy entry in the future. "We thank you, kind sir. Yer knowledge gives us good choices," The Ranger looks to the others and from the depths of his beard, he smiles with the idea of getting out of town and onto good dirt. "What say ya, my friends? Shall we sally forth at dawn's light? I for one need sleep and a hearty meal before we tramp through the unknown." The Ranger pulls deeply from his pumpkin ale and smiles even more after the sweet elixir slides down his throat with ease.

"You'll need a truly hearty meal after your choices this evening," the Druid Tavianna says teasingly. "You'll need four fried chickens and a coke." The gnome smiles wide and gabs her elbow into Tavianna's arm. " Those are my chickens, I have paid for them already. And I thought we agreed the sugar drinks were not for us?" Grogar grunts his approval of no sugar. Being the strictest eater in the group, no one was surprised by this. 

"I saw that the border house across the way has an empty room we can bed down in tonight," Zamira mentions, finishing her drink and looking to get her evening exercise in motion. Scouting ahead, being on tip toes, speedy corners, and quick eyes don't come about by missing many workouts. Not two in a row at any rate. "Y'all head over whenever you want, I'm going now." She brings her own mug to the counter and sets it down to be gathered by washer. She gives a graceful wave to her friends as she exits the bar. The fresh air isn't terribly fresh, but it beats the stale beer and faint urine smell of the bar room. The border house indeed has a large storage-type room available with three cots. Zamira pays half the fee and heads to the room to get some focused exercise done.

"So, now what? What do ya want to do?" Grogar looks to the others to see what might be fun before bed.

• Like 2

The Way

Better Now than Back Then

Better Now than Later On

I fucking HATE stories that are written in present tense

But that's just me, I'm sure

I always find myself having to go back and edit my tenses when I try to write in present tense because I automatically start shifting to past tense. I don't mind reading present tense things though, I just have trouble writing that way.

Sent by TARDIS delivery service. Apologies for typos caused by interactions with the time vortex.

• Like 1

D_R does a really good job writing in present tense on his race write ups. I tend to do RP writeups in present tense because the group I used to roll with always talked it out that way.

• Like 2

Current Challenge

"By the Most-Righteous-and-Blessed Beard of Sir Tanktimus the Encourager!" - Jarl Rurik Harrgath

I, personally, prefer to write in past tense, but I don't mind reading it another way, just so long as the tense stays consistent. 

Love where this is going, and glad I came back in time to watch it. I also love how the point system changes, as I tend to get bored doing something and will putter out after awhile. (This may explain my inability to finish challenges....)

• Like 1

Kareesh

Halfling | Rebel

[Level: 1]

Current Challenge

I tend to mix up tenses in my narrating :P Stories are usually in past tense, race reports are in present to keep things lively (and admittedly, because I've been influenced by the way Teros writes his). This one is intentionally narrated in present tense. Using past felt like I was telling a story that already happened. Seeing how players play a huge role in where things will go, I thought present tense works better. It kind of keeps things on edge, not knowing where the story will go next.

But that's just me.

• Like 3

Lvl 65 Multitasker

D_R does a really good job writing in present tense on his race write ups. I tend to do RP writeups in present tense because the group I used to roll with always talked it out that way.

It's interesting because when I am speaking outloud like in my D&D group I speak in present or future tense (OK, Raxie is going to... [yes my D&D character is also named Raxie that's where the name came from to begin with]) but when I'm writing I tend to drift towards past tense.  Brains are weird.

• Like 1

Another casualty of Texas? Feel better, Tank! Rest! Liquids! All that jazz! 

• Like 2

Level 87 Wood Elf Druid

Druid: || 59 | 60 | 61 | 61.5 | 62 | 63 | 64 | 65 | 66 | 67 | 68 | 69 | 70 | 71 | 72 | 73 | 74 | 75 | 76 | 77 | 78 | 79 | 80 | 81 | 82 | 83 | 8485 | 86 | 87  ||

Ranger: || 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 | 43 | 44 | 45 | 46 | 47 | 48 | 49 | 50 | 51 | 52 | 53 | 54 | 55 | 56 | 57 | 58 ||

||Char/RPG||
STR: 57 || DEX: 59 || STA: 52 || CON: 47 || WIS: 59 || CHA: 59

Feel better, Tank!

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note 3

Another casualty of Texas? Feel better, Tank! Rest! Liquids! All that jazz! 

I'm calling it the week zero plague. Too many nerds are sick right now.

• Like 1

Current Challenge

I see Journey To Clearwater as the main tab, so I'm guessing we switched weeks ... what do we log where for this week? 

Level 87 Wood Elf Druid

Druid: || 59 | 60 | 61 | 61.5 | 62 | 63 | 64 | 65 | 66 | 67 | 68 | 69 | 70 | 71 | 72 | 73 | 74 | 75 | 76 | 77 | 78 | 79 | 80 | 81 | 82 | 83 | 8485 | 86 | 87  ||

Ranger: || 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 | 43 | 44 | 45 | 46 | 47 | 48 | 49 | 50 | 51 | 52 | 53 | 54 | 55 | 56 | 57 | 58 ||

||Char/RPG||
STR: 57 || DEX: 59 || STA: 52 || CON: 47 || WIS: 59 || CHA: 59