Forums are back in action! ×

Still intimidated by the gym

2 hours ago, ~RedStone~ said:

Hey there! So good news, I totally went and did the stuff! I did it with my resting approachability face and I did all the stuff... and NOTHING bad happened!

I think the biggest thing for me was finding a gym I really felt comfortable in. On the advise of folks here, I did a trial week at all the gyms near me, and it became very clear very fast where I belonged. I figure the more comfortable I am in the environment, the more I want to be there and feel less inhibited while working out, and it's proven true since I found my good fit!

No one has offered me unsolicited advise since I started. I'd read this line multiple times on the threads before: everyone starts from nowhere. Good news is you have everywhere to go from here! 

Reality of the gym: yeah, there's an occasionally meathead with the grunting and counting out loud and all that, but truth? I can count 2 or 3 instances in the month I've been going regularly. For the most part, it's just folks doing exactly what we're doing, trying to level up their lives, and everyone is bothered by those distractors.

That's great to hear!! I've sort of wondered if I were to just go and find a good (i.e. comfortable) gym it would be alright, but its so hard to make that step and to convince myself it'll be fine. Thank you for letting me know that it has all gone great for you (good job on going for a whole month so far!)--I feel much better about approaching a gym to workout now  :glee: . 

• Like 1

Jedi Quest (Nov 2016): Current Challenge 

~Even the simplest of tasks can help one become a Jedi.

8 minutes ago, Keldream Nebula said:

That's great to hear!! I've sort of wondered if I were to just go and find a good (i.e. comfortable) gym it would be alright, but its so hard to make that step and to convince myself it'll be fine. Thank you for letting me know that it has all gone great for you (good job on going for a whole month so far!)--I feel much better about approaching a gym to workout now  :glee: . 

Thanks! Honestly, this was totally the big one for me. I haven't been to a gym in a solid 15 years! And yeah, not only was it totally fine, but I love the place I joined and look forward to going. (I even like the showers there, better water pressure than at home!) 

I think the best advise I got in preparation for it was to do the trial weeks, everywhere I went offered that so I'm guessing it's standard. They told me - do the trial like you would workout. Show up at times you would normally want to go, and show up with a plan. If you're prepared you'll feel less lost and bewildered. Also if you show up the first time with an idea of what kind of workouts you want to do (cardio, classes etc), you'll have a better idea of what to look for during the tour!

Keep us posted on what you decide to do!

• Like 2