Forums are back in action! ×

Hello everyone, 

I was referred to this site by a friend who is currently reading the book.  I previously listened to the Nerdist Way by Chris Hardwick which certainly touches on some of the items that are discussed more in depth here.  I signed up for the mailing list and a few days into things.   So a bit about me I guess.   I am a 35 year old male, I work in the IT Profession (shocker), and went thru Weight Loss Surgery (WLS), specifically Gastric Sleeve.  I was close to 500lbs at my highest, and I am currently around 290ish.  I leveled out my weight loss for almost a year by not really watching what I was eating, and I decided to get back on top of things with weight watchers which certainly helped, and does help as long as I keep plugging stuff into that app.   When I am not tracking food, I know I tend to make poor choices..

So why am I wanting to change, it's for reasons that are simultaneously internal, and also externally driven.  In the bedroom I prefer things of a very alternative variety, and in that context I am very much an alpha male.  With some of my partners, I am able to maintain the necessary level of energy, to maintain that alpha male stature.  With a particular partner, I cannot maintain that.  Mind you there is a 9 year age difference between us, with me being 35, and her being 26.  I desire to be able to keep up with her as well as my other partners.  Please note, I don't cheat on people, my non-monogamy is above board, and I play safe.  

On the website sealfit.com, there is an explanation on what being sealfit means, I am excerpting it below...

The SEALFIT athlete demonstrates the following traits, distinct from the sport athlete:

** Must work at near peak output for very long periods of time, with unknown periods of rest. **

Must be prepared for the known AND equally prepared for the unknown.

Does not always have access to a gym and the “proper” training tools

Is not competing to win, but to survive and accomplish a mission that can have life, death or strategic   consequences well beyond their own pay-grade.

Must be strong, but not so concerned with maximal strength. Needs Strength Stamina to move heavy stuff far and long.

Must have exceptional endurance and be able to go long, under load

** Must have an intense capacity for work in short, medium and long time domains**

** Must be durable, have powerful core strength, not be prone to injury, and knowledgeable about how to sustain the body at a high level of readiness over the long haul.**

Must be mentally tough and trains to be so

Usually works as part of a unit or team, and works out with that team

The items of concern, I emphasised with asterisk marks.   These are the things that I currently cannot perform, and these are the things that ironically enough, sound like a "fun night" for this partner in question.  I desire this for myself, as well as for her, and I am sure there is more psychologically connected to this. 

I imagine myself wanting to be at the fitness level of a spartan warrior.  The strength to engage any individual opponent and one, the endurance to engage enemies over and over and over, and the flexibility to adapt to the ever adjusting landscape of the field of battle.  

I am looking for functional core strength and flexibility, I desire to be able to walk into a room and my body language speaks for me.  I desire to be able to engage in all sorts of activities and not worry about my body giving our or failing before the event is done.   I am looking forward to find the necessary guidance and wisdom to work toward my goals.  It may be months/years away who knows, but it won't ever happen, if I don't start.  

Hey there MG! Sounds like you've got a clear why, a great first step that evades many of us. So what kinds of programs are you thinking about? 

I am ultimately the most interested to investigate and explore - 8 weeks to sealfit - http://smile.amazon.com/dp/125004054X

Along with I would say it's Sister Book Kokoro Yoga - http://smile.amazon.com/dp/1250067219

I read one of the books, which really hooked me on his ideology.  The Way of the Seal - http://smile.amazon.com/dp/1621452115

So, I think I want to further explore most of whats covered within these books.  As the concepts should allow me to fully flesh out and develop that warrior spirit, and alpha male / alpha wolf mentality.  I think that once I have become more "fighting fit" I would like to explore Martial Arts, however I am honestly not sure where I would go once that became the option.  I took a "which martial arts" quiz if right for me, and based on my answers, I did get the following possibilities.  However the likelyhood of me finding a sensei for Kenpo out where I live... *shrug* --  Less likely to be able to afford said classes, I would imagine, for some time to come.   Seeing as MMA is a bit more common, perhaps I can eventually find an MMA gym/school to go to.  

I am hopeful that this answered your question, and perhaps helped to open a road for further exploration for at least some people. :)  

Screen Shot 2016-05-02 at 7.11.09 PM.png