Forums are back in action! ×

Wanted to share my story and look for some buddies

Hey I got inspired writing the 'My Story' for the Academy and thought I'd share it here. I've been a member since 2014, but this is the first time I've actually given the program a go. Anyway, here's my story told the only way I know how.. like the hundreds of fantasy books I've read. :)

I'm hoping some of you can relate to my story. I'm looking for some encouraging people to share my successes with and my failures. My wife and I are doing this journey together, but I need some people to help out when neither of us feel like it.

So if this resonates with you, please let me know so we can encourage each other.

The world is a very strange place indeed.

Like many stories this one begins with a simple boy. This was not a special boy, just a regular, ordinary albeit precocious boy. The boy grew up in a simple house, in a simple town with simple parents who knew little of the nature of boys.

The boy had no brothers or sisters. His time was his own and he spent much time pondering the nature of things and building worlds in his imagination.

For this simple boy, the world was an incredibly complex and amazing place. The stars, the sky, the towers of lego blocks, the allure of machines and the excitement of the cartoons that were often his only source of entertainment.

For every question his parents answered, the boy asked 11 more. His good-natured parents laughed and joked with their friends about the questions he asked, but in the best possible way guided his mind towards the answers he sought.

The highlight for the boy was his weekly trip to the library. The smell of the dusty books, the bright colours and the promise of adventure and knowledge. The rows and rows of books were a haven, a place away from the teasing and taunting of the other children.

They didn't want to converse about Roald Dahls' latest classic. They had no interest in the stars, the workings of lasers or the ancient Egyptians. The highlight of their lives seemed to be dancing around the boy screaming 'Fatty-fatty-boom-batty' like a group of neanderthals.

For the boy the teasing only got worse as he got older and he withdrew more and more from the world.

His greatest discovery came when his father brought home a computer for him and the the boy was changed forever.

While other children were drawing trees and playing tag, the boy learned BASIC and TURBO PASCAL. While the other children attended sporting carnivals, the boy would spend the day writing and playing computer role playing games.

The computer never judged the boy and the books never teased him.

---

The boy is now 35 years old, an accomplished software engineer, a proud husband to a beautiful wife. He's still struggling with his weight, but he's learning that tackling this challenge isn't that different to what he learned all those years playing games.

I am Aaron, a Level 1 Warrior / Monk.

Stay tuned.

• Like 1

Welcome aboard Aaron.   

I remember BASIC and TURBO PASCAL (although I never went anywhere with them beyond simple programs to automate DM stuff for my D&D games).

RPGs-check

books-check

Anything we can do to help, just give a shout.

• Like 1

B'ker Level 1 Half-elf Ranger  STR: 3  DEX: 3  CON: 3  INT: 3  WIS: 2  CHA: 2

Bker Survives December Challenge Tracking Spreadsheet

Walking to Mordor (2019) Spreadsheet

MyFitnessPal | FitBit | Instagram

Walking to Mordor 1879.44 miles/1779 miles

Mini Challenge:  Week 1:  | Week 2:  | Week 3 | Week 4 | Week 5 |

16 hours ago, AaronOz said:

Hey I got inspired writing the 'My Story' for the Academy and thought I'd share it here. I've been a member since 2014, but this is the first time I've actually given the program a go. Anyway, here's my story told the only way I know how.. like the hundreds of fantasy books I've read. :)

I'm hoping some of you can relate to my story. I'm looking for some encouraging people to share my successes with and my failures. My wife and I are doing this journey together, but I need some people to help out when neither of us feel like it.

So if this resonates with you, please let me know so we can encourage each other.

Hey there AaronOz, and welcome (back) to the boards! Of course you'll find lots of folks here with similar stories in need of the same motivation. Are you thinking about doing a challenge or mini challenge this month? There are lots of ways to interactive with the folks here for accountability, but the challenges seem to be one of the most active ways to trade motivation, log your progress, hang, vent or what have you. Best of luck on you and your wife's journey and I hope we can be of some help! :D 

Hello AaronOz . Welcome to the rebellion. I can relate to your single boy childhood withdrawn from peers and making friends with books and computer, y'know  been there. I wasn't into coding though (i have started learning python and html now).  And since  you want to lose weight and is a warrior, go strength training. See you around

If you want something, go get it. Period 

Epic Quest                                     Intro post                                    Duolingo