Forums are back in action! ×

Hi, new female-person here!

So, didn't join to lose weight exactly. Just got out of a bad relationship (in my thirties... ugh) and am now riddled with obscene amounts of anxiety and just crap. So I figured that since I had to move back in with my parents (ugh, again), while I have a job and a gym membership, I can at least get myself fit. My current goal is to feel comfortable in a Wonder Woman cosplay next year for Dragon Con (missing it this year due to the aforementioned bad relationship).

Anyway, hello! My life just upended itself, so new friends are welcomed! Does anyone else here suffer with anxiety? I'd love some tips on beating it back.

• Like 2

Hello,

I'm currently new to this forum too and just joined due to the content they offer here, it seems like a fun place so just ended up register an account.

As for your question, I'm a guy so it might be different but I might share anyway hope it help. I was an overweight kid and thought life is treated me unfairly, no friend (I'm not originate from the U.S), no love, pretty much thought life is suck but then one day I decided to try something different. I smiled with everyone I encountered, treat well to the one that do me wrong, do what I think it's right but might not be a popular idea. Everything just started to changed, I don't think people started talking to me because I started to loose weight but I think it was because of how I portrait myself to them that invited them in. I was really shy and get really nervous to speak but I think because I opened to other, they opened to me so that really helped me overcome my nervousness. It doesn't come over night but a really long process, I say at least 5 years, and I am still try to improve myself everyday. I think my advice is a bit cliche but it really help me through those hard time, "If you smile at life, It smile back to you". Whichever you are nervous about, always know that you always have your family and friends always be there to guide and help you.

Please excuse my bad grammar but hope that help.

Good luck.

• Like 2

Welcome! :)

Beating back anxiety would make for an excellent epic quest! It's probably eaiser to give advice on how to deal with it if you could tell how anxiety affects your life exactly and what the anxiety is about? Starting with getting fit seems like a good first thing to take action though! :)

• Like 1

Hey there! 

Posting back because I do suffer from both a mood disorder and anxiety. One of the big things we talk about in group is being able to identify what your triggers might be, which can involve a lot of very uncomfortable moments of replaying your last few days over and over. Once you can identify some situations that provoke your anxiety, you can get to really figuring out the feelings and the logic behind those feelings coming up. I feel like having anxiety and learning to manage it makes you ridiculously aware of yourself and how you work. 

Then again, some anxiety is situation-based and sometimes anxiety is a chemical reaction in your brain that you really can't help. Once you can separate what is situational and what is brain chemistry-based, you can have a really good plan of attack. 

• Like 1

-S t a r . R u b y -

HEROES NEVER DIE

heatherallyse

21 hours ago, Smu said:

So, didn't join to lose weight exactly. Just got out of a bad relationship (in my thirties... ugh) and am now riddled with obscene amounts of anxiety and just crap. So I figured that since I had to move back in with my parents (ugh, again), while I have a job and a gym membership, I can at least get myself fit. My current goal is to feel comfortable in a Wonder Woman cosplay next year for Dragon Con (missing it this year due to the aforementioned bad relationship).

Anyway, hello! My life just upended itself, so new friends are welcomed! Does anyone else here suffer with anxiety? I'd love some tips on beating it back.

Oh hi there Smu, and welcome! You are indeed in good company, we nerds have many things in common, anxiety included. There are lots of threads on the forum to unload and mingle with other like minds, and a friendly tho sometimes quiet chat room for more immediate banter. Personally, I have found physical activity to be one of my biggest de-stressors and displacement for anxiety, so you're on the right path in my book! Is there a particular type of activity you're most drawn to?

• Like 1