Forums are back in action! ×

2 hours ago, Wild Wolf said:

Being the uni-brow guy isn't the worst, brother. Ever heard of Anthony Davis? 

That only proves it takes a 4-times all star MVP gold medalist to barely pull off a uni-brow :P

On 27/4/2017 at 0:27 PM, mr_willes said:

Depends...By the amount of times i get asked how old i am (in a specific way, like,  "really?!?! How old are you?")

or

people telling me to grow up

I don't know about other people, but I ment it in the actual sense of the question. In pics and videos you look quite young so it's kinda hard to fogure out your age :P

• Like 3

Instagram/Facebook/Epic Quest

Previous Challenges: #1 | #2 | #3(Holiday Mini)| #4 | #5 | #6 | #7 | #8 | #9|#10| #11| #12| #13 | #14

Current Challenge: Respawn

On April 28, 2017 at 1:53 PM, Sloth the Enduring said:

Etouffee is great. One of my favorites.

Especially when you can get it with crawfish. When I lived in Chicago a great creole resturaunt used to sell the crawfish meat frozen so it was easy to just pick up and make.  I also had that chef demo in my store so I know how to make a mean etoufee.  The secret is in the rue.

• Like 3

Level 36 Ranger Sorcerer 

Current challenge 

On 4/26/2017 at 8:15 AM, mr_willes said:

LOL, thinking back about that time (about 20 years ago), so i would have to search for real life photo, nothing digital. But also besides that, i think the only picture made of the black hair was when i crossdressed as a tirolergirl for a party...

gtk93r36bovdwb1wvio4.gif

This isn't helping getting rid of the "pics or it didn't happen", is it?

I demand pictures!

On 4/26/2017 at 7:02 PM, Agnarr said:

@mr_willes now we definetly need those pics! 20 years ago? Wait... how old are you? 

True dat. Tweezing will never hurt as much as being the uni-brow guy. Heck, tattoos hurt like sh*t, yet it's difficult to find someone without at least one nowadays

tumblr_mbhsqhkY8X1ror6v2.gif

no tats here! (yet)

• Like 1
On 28-4-2017 at 6:09 PM, Wild Wolf said:

I've always found you to be one of the most mature, conservative people I know......

You know me so well :D 

On 29-4-2017 at 0:58 AM, Agnarr said:

I don't know about other people, but I ment it in the actual sense of the question. In pics and videos you look quite young so it's kinda hard to fogure out your age :P

uMEh1hV.gif

36 years old, dyed my hair when i was sixteen...

6 hours ago, maegs said:

I demand pictures!

I really have to go underground to where the physical books of photos are stored and see if i can retrieve it there... This really feels like going on an "Indiana Jones"-like adventure...

The_Librarian-_Return_to_King_Solomon's_

6 hours ago, maegs said:

no tats here! (yet)

or here!

• Like 2

... a little odd in the head ...

On 4/28/2017 at 1:53 PM, Sloth the Enduring said:

Etouffee is great. One of my favorites.

Apparently, it's one of my favorites now too, lol.

On 4/28/2017 at 5:58 PM, Agnarr said:

That only proves it takes a 4-times all star MVP gold medalist to barely pull off a uni-brow :P

I've seen pictures of your handsome mug, sir, and I think you rock "da brow" like a boss! :) I agree with you that Willys does look young. He's also very young at heart....or as the adults like to say "immature". 

386483d916ff53faa392c53b8c774ceec84443c3

On 4/29/2017 at 3:04 PM, T2sarahconnor said:

Especially when you can get it with crawfish. When I lived in Chicago a great creole resturaunt used to sell the crawfish meat frozen so it was easy to just pick up and make.  I also had that chef demo in my store so I know how to make a mean etoufee.  The secret is in the rue.

Well now I know what I want you to make me for my birthday ;) I promise to eat it all up!

On 4/29/2017 at 10:08 PM, Sloth the Enduring said:

I thought it always had crawfish. The missus makes me stir when she makes a rue. It takes me asking, "is it done yet?" At least 20 times before it is actually done or she kicks me out of the kitchen.

First time having it so I'll take y'alls words for it lol. So it's all in the rue, huh? That's funny. Heather calls me her "Ru Bear". Maybe there is something to the secret of the "roux".....

2012-11-08-Types-of-Roux-940x705.jpg

On 4/29/2017 at 10:22 PM, Elastigirl said:

I had shrimp (GF version) etouffee in New Orleans and lived it. Had boiled crawfish and was not as excited

Not sure I would enjoy boiled crawfish either, EG. Throw it in an etouffee, though, and I'm slurping it up! So was your version just sans rice? Or what else made it GF?  

14 hours ago, Terinatum said:

Ah I remember rue! Remember T2? Mine came out so blah and I followed your instructions the best that I could. We should try that again sometime.

Cheers my dear

Try it again and invite me next time :)

And welcome to the land of Swank, Terinatum!! 

13 hours ago, maegs said:

I demand pictures!

no tats here! (yet)

Yes!! We wanna see "goth cross-dresser" Willy :) 

6 hours ago, mr_willes said:

You know me so well :D 

uMEh1hV.gif

36 years old, dyed my hair when i was sixteen...

I really have to go underground to where the physical books of photos are stored and see if i can retrieve it there... This really feels like going on an "Indiana Jones"-like adventure...

The_Librarian-_Return_to_King_Solomon's_

or here!

You kinda put yourself out there my friend so it's hard NOT to know you so well :) But I'm glad for it. You crack me up dude and 36 isn't old. You only have me by few years. It's funny to think back when we didn't have digital photos or phones that can store them all right at the tips of your fingertips. It's almost as vintage as TV commercials. I don't think Racer, Declan and Orin even know what those are?! It's painful to watch regular TV with them because they are used to everything being seamless and not being able to fast forward to the show is beyond their comprehension hahahahaha.

Ugh...busy day at work today and not much time to update say for this right now. I actually have quite a bit to catch up on so I'm hoping to fill you all in soon but for now, I'm headed home to enjoy this cool weather and cloudless sky :)

0113_harrishawk_0.jpg?itok=I2x0EVAK

....there may be a reason I posted that pic....

Wolf

• Like 7

Wild Wolf

Class: Peerless Scarred/ Height: 6'2 / Weight: 188#

Instagram: @ryanwolfbell / Facebook: Ryan Wolf Bell / Bible App (YouVersion) Ryan Wolf Bell

Current Challenge: Intro to Wolflean

Spoiler

Last Challenge(s): 1/2/3/4/5/6/7/8/9/10/11/12/13/14/15/16

Epic Challenges: Welcome to the Fireteam & Wolfpool 

Gotham Project: 1

Know, O prince, that once the sun burns out and the earth's core becomes solid and cold, there will come a man to provide the endless energy needed to sustain life and for the planets to keep moving. He is the source of light and the warmth of hope back into the hearts of humanity...." - Dark_Raider

A wolf rises in my heart; against my darkness; against my demons; against my despair. I DECLARE WAR!

Romans 8:28 (CSB) We know that all things work together for the good of those who love God, who are called according to His purpose.

2 minutes ago, Wild Wolf said:

Not sure I would enjoy boiled crawfish either, EG. Throw it in an etouffee, though, and I'm slurping it up! So was your version just sans rice? Or what else made it GF?  

It had rice. The roux was made with something other than a wheat base. Not sure what they used, just what it wasn't.

• Like 1

Wisdom 22.5   Dexterity 13   Charisma 15   Strength 21  Constitution-13

"Love the Lord your God with all your heart, and with all your soul, and with all your strength, and with all your mind' Luke 10; 27

18 hours ago, Elastigirl said:

It had rice. The roux was made with something other than a wheat base. Not sure what they used, just what it wasn't.

Ahhhhh, gotcha. Well it sounds yummy either way still :)

17 hours ago, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

Still no love for gingers :( 

HAHAHAHA! That was funny. Nope, I guess there's not a lot of love left for us gingers. Not even the creole can appreciate a genetic anomaly lol.

6e1a759673366489b44acc6641592fc4.jpg

Now that I have a minute to update, I wanna take advantage:

• I had a very busy weekend and was unable to meet up for my private lesson for some archery. That's OK, I'll reschedule. But, to be honest with you guys, my inspiration for learning archery is starting to wane. Not for my lack of wanting to learn the sport but more the practicality of it. I just feel like spending money on a bow and the membership to the range wouldn't be worth it at this time because I have other stuff going on. And mainly, I feel like in today's day and age, learning to familiarize myself more with firearms is ideal. Especially living in Texas where last year they passed an Open Carry law on top of the generous concealed carry laws they have around here. I just want to feel safer as well as the safety of my family. So home defense has been talked about as well. These concerns are not just my own, but of my wife's as well. She would rather us spend the money on a gun and look at joining that gun range near us that I mentioned back a few months. I'm perfectly fine with all of these changes because my practical mind is overriding my fantasy mind like a TEOTWAWKI boss! Archery won't go away, though. I still want to learn how to successfully hunt with a bow and I know I will one day-just not this day lol.
  • WTF is up with tux rentals? Don't get me wrong, I think I cleaned up well and looked pretty damn sharp but $207 for the tux rental....GEEEEZE!! Jarred is lucky I love him or else it woulda been hard to deem that worth it. I coulda just bought my own damn suit for that price. AND, I could have kept it! Oh well, Heather and I had fun. I need to post pics from the wedding :)
  • The best thing about last weekend? My wife. She's awesome. And sometimes I forget how awesome she can be. Archery is something I've wanted to do for a long time and she was supporting me 100% all the way up to me saying, "Hey, I think I should hold off on the archery thing for now and we should look at more home defense stuff." Well there's something else I've always been fascinated with since I was young and watched Ladyhawke for the first time: Falconry. And how did Heather and I get on the subject of falconry? @Laghail. This mofo is one awesome human being. We were texting the other day and he had mentioned something about how Texas falconry is a thing and that the Harris' Hawk (native to the southern parts of the US, including Texas) are often used for that. The picture I posted yesterday is of a Harris Hawk. Everything is a blur on how this got brought up with my wife but she was instantly hooked. She started doing some research and found out that the DFW is the largest concentration of falconers in Texas!! This got us both excited. But, long story short, she thought it would be cool to go to a few meet-ups and possible find a sponsor to sponsor my 2 year apprenticeship to also become a falconer!! She thought it would be super cool to get into this world and use the bird for hunting small quarry like rabbits, quail and even squirrel. I dunno, this is all so fresh and new that I'm still not sure what's going to happen. But we did take the dive and order the 2-volume falconer's "bible" that was recommended reading for all those starting out as well as join the THA, Texas Hawking Association. The books were pretty pricey but I feel it will be worth it in the long run :) 

So, there's that, lol. This week is another crazy one!

• Racer's b-day on the 4th-Guardians of the Galaxy Vol 2 that same evening!
  • Building our brand new computer Saturday morning!
  • Brothers birthday party on Saturday night!
  • Possible trail run Sunday afternoon?? Time to start gritting down and building up more stamina. I haven't been to Gaelic in 2 weeks because of my schedule but will try and make Wednesday's practice.

You guys!! Seriously?! My wife would totally be on board with being a Falconer! The long term plan would be to sponsor her once I become a General licensed falconer and then teach Racer when he gets to 12 years of age (the minimum requirement). A cool fact about the Harris Hawk is that they are the most social of all the raptors. They tend to hunt in groups, unlike their cousins. So, basically, you could call them the "wolves of the sky". Sounds right up my alley! There is a lot...and I mean A LOT that goes into becoming a Falconer. It's a huge responsibility but with the support of Heather, I know I could do it. Moar to develop here and I'll be sure to keep everyone updated as this hype train rolls onward!

Wolf

• Like 10

Wild Wolf

Instagram: @ryanwolfbell / Facebook: Ryan Wolf Bell / Bible App (YouVersion) Ryan Wolf Bell

Spoiler

Know, O prince, that once the sun burns out and the earth's core becomes solid and cold, there will come a man to provide the endless energy needed to sustain life and for the planets to keep moving. He is the source of light and the warmth of hope back into the hearts of humanity...." - Dark_Raider

A wolf rises in my heart; against my darkness; against my demons; against my despair. I DECLARE WAR!

Romans 8:28 (CSB) We know that all things work together for the good of those who love God, who are called according to His purpose.

$200!?! Step-Sloth bought one for conducting for less than that. Think how swanky you'd be if you had your own.

I'm in an outdoor gear FB group and a crossbow was for sale cheap. I really wanted it, but it was more adult to not spend the money. I regret it now.

• Like 3

“We might as well start where we are, use what we have and do what we can." – Caitlin Rivers

Sloth: The Man with the Hammer battle log

All of this is so wonderful. Archery, a great Wife (totally jealous! lol), guns, and falconry!

Take your time training your hawk, get it as right as any lifting form, and you'll be very happy and so will the Hawk!

• Like 1

The Way

Better Now than Back Then

Better Now than Later On

I've always been fascinated with birds of prey. When I was growing up I was obsessed with owls and I would still love to have one. I would name him Bubo

We went to Leeds Castle recently and they had a falconry show on with Harris Hawks. They were getting them to fly down from a high tree and catch food in the air. I've been wanting to do one of those "falconer for a day" experiences for a while now, but damn, are they expensive!

• Like 3

Current: Assassins / Instagram

Previous: 1, 234, 5, 678910, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44

2020 Races: 
CANCELLED! Spartan Trifecta: Beast: 18-APR / Super :11-JUL / Sprint: 12-JUL

Summer Nuts: 5/6-SEPT / Nuclear Blast: 12-SEPT / Nuclear team race: 04-OCT 

"You have the heart of a Rebel"

"I'll take that as a compliment"

22 hours ago, Laghail said:

Image result for harris hawk stooping

Such sweet beauty!

harris-hawk5.jpg

I love the rustic red on the wings!

22 hours ago, Sloth the Enduring said:

$200!?! Step-Sloth bought one for conducting for less than that. Think how swanky you'd be if you had your own.

I'm in an outdoor gear FB group and a crossbow was for sale cheap. I really wanted it, but it was more adult to not spend the money. I regret it now.

I would be too swanky for words had I bought my own suit! But...stupid tux rental. I do need a suit of my own too!

That stinks Brother Sloth-so no chance at getting another crossbow?

21 hours ago, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

HAHAHA! 

m819mu.png

21 hours ago, mr_willes said:

Good to see the reignited Wolfie!!!

I'm enjoying his company as well :)

18 hours ago, Terinatum said:

All of this is so wonderful. Archery, a great Wife (totally jealous! lol), guns, and falconry!

Take your time training your hawk, get it as right as any lifting form, and you'll be very happy and so will the Hawk!

Thank you Terinatrum! I'm blessed to have such a cool wife that let's me be weird lol. I will definitely be taking my time training my hawk if I can get to that point in the journey but right now, I'll be taking my time to study and soak up as much knowledge as I can!

6 hours ago, DarK_RaideR said:

Anyone can defend their home and family with guns. Doing it with a hawk and archery is true Badrangerassery though.

Well when you put it that way, lol! Ahhhhhh, #Badrangerassery is a word I haven't used in a while. Brings back some good memories!

5 hours ago, Charlie_Quinn said:

I've always been fascinated with birds of prey. When I was growing up I was obsessed with owls and I would still love to have one. I would name him Bubo

We went to Leeds Castle recently and they had a falconry show on with Harris Hawks. They were getting them to fly down from a high tree and catch food in the air. I've been wanting to do one of those "falconer for a day" experiences for a while now, but damn, are they expensive!

Bubo?! Hell yeah!

ffd1c24c0f917d748fed9dab192ea42a.jpg

I used to watch the original Clash of the Titans like once a week when I was younger. Bubo was awesome! Owls are fascinating as well! I've always been partial to barn owls, not sure why but I think they are a gorgeous bird and it would be fun to raise and hunt with one! If you like owls, did you ever read the Guardians of Gahoole books??

Mid flight acrobatics are a true wonder to see! That's really what falconry is about. The hunting and stuff is just part of it, but being able to witness the flight of the bird is just cool as hell to see. I bet it's pretty expensive to do that for a day but I bet you would have an absolute blast?!

I sent a FB message to the THA (Texas Hawking Association) last night and still haven't received a reply back...bummer. No biggie though, if I'm anything its persistent ;) I'm hoping my 2-Volume set will be here this weekend because I'm ready to start studying up! I figured I would make reading/studying as part of my goals for the next challenge, maybe something like an hour a day? I can manage that.

I'm like 45 min away from finishing the Remaining books then I'm moving on to American Gods. I joined back up with audible because it's that time of year where all I wanna do is listen and read books, hahaha! I'm gonna try and juggle Dies the Fire, the other post apoc book with American Gods for some sensory overload lol, but it'll be fun!

Now, it's time for a walk to stretch these legs and back. Happy Hump Day, errybody!

harris_hawk_by_nigel3-d5f324y.jpg

Wolf

• Like 13

Wild Wolf

Spoiler

18 hours ago, Wild Wolf said:

Bubo?! Hell yeah!

ffd1c24c0f917d748fed9dab192ea42a.jpg

I used to watch the original Clash of the Titans like once a week when I was younger. Bubo was awesome! Owls are fascinating as well! I've always been partial to barn owls, not sure why but I think they are a gorgeous bird and it would be fun to raise and hunt with one! If you like owls, did you ever read the Guardians of Gahoole books??

Mid flight acrobatics are a true wonder to see! That's really what falconry is about. The hunting and stuff is just part of it, but being able to witness the flight of the bird is just cool as hell to see. I bet it's pretty expensive to do that for a day but I bet you would have an absolute blast?!

I used to watch Clash of the Titans all the time too! It was on TV over the weekend so I watched it again. In my opinion, all the stop motion animation still looks wonderful, especially the bit with Medusa.

I've never heard of that series of books. Will have to investigate those.

After writing that yesterday, I actually did a bit of googling and found that the English School of Falconry do Owl and Hawk experiences for a fairly reasonable price, so I'm going to look into booking one when funds allow. Or start dropping some birthday hints to him indoors. :D

• Like 4

Current: Assassins / Instagram

Previous: 1, 234, 5, 678910, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44

2020 Races: 
CANCELLED! Spartan Trifecta: Beast: 18-APR / Super :11-JUL / Sprint: 12-JUL

Summer Nuts: 5/6-SEPT / Nuclear Blast: 12-SEPT / Nuclear team race: 04-OCT 

"You have the heart of a Rebel"

"I'll take that as a compliment"

CAUGHT UP HOLY JEEZ. I definitely fell off the map for a while, haha. Sorry friend :)

I bought this tail earlier this year! I haven't gone swimming in the tail itself, I'm not that confident in my body image yet; but I have been swimming with just the monofin plenty of times, and it's an absolute blast. :D

Falconry sounds awesome!!! I was really interested in it for a while, several years ago... It sounds so fun!

• Like 1
On 5/3/2017 at 1:40 PM, Agnarr said:

Falconry? Thats ridiculously badass! Man, your wife rocks :P

I couldn't agree more with you, Ags! My wife totally rocks ;) I was shocked when she was just as interested as me!

12 hours ago, DarK_RaideR said:

I'll admit I'm much more of an owl person myself tho. Something about them being nocturnal and unnaturally silent when they fly, I suppose

GHOWbyTerryHawthorne.JPG

Hell yeah, dude, owls are the best! I would love to train an owl to hunt with me. Their silent wings is one of the reason why the bigger owls are natural predators to hawks and falcons. Do they have stuff like that over there where you are, Raider? 

Owls (Strigidae)[edit]

220px-Tyto_alba_-_Cetrer%C3%ADa_-_01.jpg

A barn owl landing on a falconer's hand

Owls are not closely related to hawks or falcons. There is little written in classic falconry that discusses the use of owls in falconry. However, there are at least two species that have successfully been used, the Eurasian eagle owl and the great horned owl. Successful training of owls is much different from the training of hawks and falcons, as they are hearing- rather than sight-oriented (owls can only see black and white, and are long-sighted). This often leads falconers to believe that they are less intelligent, as they are distracted easily by new or unnatural noises and they do not respond as readily to food cues. However, if trained successfully, owls show intelligence on the same level as that of hawks and falcons.

So there's that interesting tid bit of info from our good friend Wikipedia.

10 hours ago, Charlie_Quinn said:

I used to watch Clash of the Titans all the time too! It was on TV over the weekend so I watched it again. In my opinion, all the stop motion animation still looks wonderful, especially the bit with Medusa.

I've never heard of that series of books. Will have to investigate those.

After writing that yesterday, I actually did a bit of googling and found that the English School of Falconry do Owl and Hawk experiences for a fairly reasonable price, so I'm going to look into booking one when funds allow. Or start dropping some birthday hints to him indoors. :D

I have to agree with you 100%! Stop motion is old school but it was done so well in Clash of the Titans that I hardly notice it, honestly. Medusa was the best...and man was she creepy as hell! Those wide eyes and snake head did a good number on little wolf version of me, lol. 

Medusa-ClashofTitans.jpg

YUSSSSSS! This is great news! I can't wait to hear about your adventure with that! Birthday hints can go a long way, I hear :P 

2 hours ago, Shadri said:

CAUGHT UP HOLY JEEZ. I definitely fell off the map for a while, haha. Sorry friend :)

I bought this tail earlier this year! I haven't gone swimming in the tail itself, I'm not that confident in my body image yet; but I have been swimming with just the monofin plenty of times, and it's an absolute blast. :D

Falconry sounds awesome!!! I was really interested in it for a while, several years ago... It sounds so fun!

Hi Shadri!!! I'm glad that you're back and with badass news, too?! Even if you haven't swam in it yet, you have it now to look forward to. A motivational piece, if you will. You can get a really good workout in using a monofin!! Heck yeah! How often are you swimming these days? And how far did you get with falconry? I can't wait to start getting my feet wet with falconry!

....and speaking of that. It looks like Heather and I are gonna drive out to Eastland, TX and join a workshop out there on the 20th. It's an "equipment" workshop and for $20 each, Heather and I will get all our tools and then we will spend the day making stuff! Stuff like, leather wraps, paracord wraps, hoods and a couple other things I'm actually not 100% sure what it is. But yeah, we'll be driving out there in 2 weeks and I'm SOOOOO stoked! Also, my 2-volume falconry "bible" arrived today and my giant encyclopedia I ordered will be here tomorrow!!! WOOT WOOT!

...and tonight:

landscape_xlarge.jpg

HELL YEAH!

Also, most important part about this post: Happy Birthday, Racer!!! 

Wolf

• Like 8

Wild Wolf

Spoiler

15 hours ago, Wild Wolf said:

Hi Shadri!!! I'm glad that you're back and with badass news, too?! Even if you haven't swam in it yet, you have it now to look forward to. A motivational piece, if you will. You can get a really good workout in using a monofin!! Heck yeah! How often are you swimming these days? And how far did you get with falconry? I can't wait to start getting my feet wet with falconry!

Yeah! I'm gonna hopefully lose some weight this summer (healthy eating will be a PRIMARY GOAL since I've really sucked at it lately) so that I can have a ROCKIN' BOD to go swimming in my tail!!

ETA: I was going swimming about once a week for a while. :)

I didn't get very far - I got a book from the library that I didn't even read, and I drew a picture of a hawk from said book. :P

• Like 2