Titsworth's Apathy Negation Goals... Mmmmm TANG!

Hey all! I'm a bit behind on posting my goals. Work has been crazy. I'm doing a lot of traveling. And I'm tired.

In short, I've really just been apathetic to my fitness goals this year. It hasn't been a priority and I've not really cared about it being a priority in my day to day. I justify why skipping my workout is ok so quickly and easily these days. Same with eating healthy. Though when I zoom out on life like you do when you start a new challenge like this, I realize that it needs to be a priority. I feel so much better both physically and mentally when I put my health first. 

So this challenge is going to have an extra focus on Apathy negation. I'm going to try to find / rediscover the joy in the process. And this challenge, my main focus is to bring in a bit more community/friendship to my workouts. So here we go!

Wings For Life Squad GIF by Red Bull

Goal 1: Do 1 Activity with friends or a group each week

I love doing things with friends, but I have been in a terrible funk when it comes to making any plans or committing to activities. I do things, but planning things out just seems daunting these days. "I can't tell you if I'm free next week because who knows what may come up!" But I need to start actively trying to lock down fun plans and stick to them. So here are some of my options:

• Weekly Pickleball (I know a group that plays on Wednesdays and a group on Saturdays and have been invited to both. Just need to go.)
  • I want to start running with a group again. I'll probably start with the local Hash group because that is super low-stakes. I have a group at work that is also going for runs, but I'm a bit slower than them. I will join them at least one time over this challenge though, even if I fall behind or have to turn back early
  • Try a group fitness class at the gym. Just something to get me to interact with people more. Probably yoga or one of the Body Pump classes.

Goal 2: Find a Gym Buddy / Accountability Buddy

Taking my son and his friends to the gym makes me realize how much I miss having a gym buddy. It makes the time in the gym fly by. But it's hard nowadays as most of my friends schedules don't line up with mine or our fitness levels are out of sync or we just don't go to the same gym. But even if I could have a single weekly hangout session around some heavy weights with a friend, that would make me happy. (Full disclosure, this is a goal that I want and need, but I am 100% sure I will stress out having a gym partner because I'm terrible at managing a consistent schedule and I become very socially awkward when I think they are frustrated at me for being terrible at managing a consistent schedule).

Goal 3: Have more fun with my workouts

Once a week - I want to just have fun with a workout. Let's call it Sunday Funday!

• A nerdy themed workout
  • A new movement / piece of equipment
  • Some silly goal.

Goal 4: Meal Prep

This is not a community/buddy goal. I just need to control my meals more.

I hope everyone has a great challenge! I'll try to follow along as much as I can and check in!

• Like 7

Ranger - Rheno - Rising Hero

Current Challenge

TANG! Fun with acronyms. 😁

• Like 1

Active challenges: Spring Respawn: Winter Blues to Summer Bod | Walk to Mordor - (spreadsheet) | DailyDare | Weight Loss PVP 10/12 lbs in 10/12 weeks - (spreadsheet)

2023-24 threads: Challenge VIII | IX | X | XI | XII | XIII | XIV | XV | XVI | XVII | XVIII

2018-19 & 2021 threads: Battle log | Challenge I | IIIIIIV | V | VI | VII

On 3/26/2024 at 3:37 AM, TimovieMan said:

TANG! Fun with acronyms. 😁

+1 for the AoS reference!

On 3/26/2024 at 8:31 AM, Artemis Prime said:

Is the work travel going to be a long-term thing, or is it going to slow down for you at some point?

I have another trip planned for 9 days in April. After that I will have a month off of work travel, but some vacation time planned out. I expect a few more bursts of 7-14 days at a time throughout the year. Probably not as much during the second half of the year. I really need to find a better rhythm when traveling for sure. I'm usually with a group that works long days and then everyone goes out to a big dinner and drinks. I love the social/team building aspect, but it is at the sake of my health goals, so I may just have to be "that guy" and go to the hotel gym instead of dinner

On 3/26/2024 at 11:17 AM, Elastigirl said:

200.gif?cid=cad65057dzesbwmhj1g7tf4gvefn

Here to cheer you on!

Thanks!!!

Ranger - Rheno - Rising Hero

Current Challenge

10 hours ago, titsworth said:

I'm usually with a group that works long days and then everyone goes out to a big dinner and drinks. I love the social/team building aspect, but it is at the sake of my health goals, so I may just have to be "that guy" and go to the hotel gym instead of dinner

Any chance of doing a morning workout while you travel? It sounds like you travel for work MUCH more often than I do, but for me, getting my workout done before all the social expectations kick in helps quite a bit.

And also means that after I've exhausted myself by pretending to be an extrovert all day/evening, I can put on my jammies and try to recharge without having to then muster up the energy to hit the gym at the end.

• Like 2
13 hours ago, sylph said:

Any chance of doing a morning workout while you travel? It sounds like you travel for work MUCH more often than I do, but for me, getting my workout done before all the social expectations kick in helps quite a bit.

And also means that after I've exhausted myself by pretending to be an extrovert all day/evening, I can put on my jammies and try to recharge without having to then muster up the energy to hit the gym at the end.

I second what Sylph has here.  As someone that has traveled in the past for work this is a great way to get this done and leave the evenings open for post work socializing.  

Following too while you find a gym buddy!

“You can’t wait until life isn’t hard anymore before you decide to be happy” -Nightbirde

“Dreams do not come true all by themselves. They are nourished by the bounty of hard work”  -Unknown Disney Imagineer

2024 Word

Svastha: Standing in One’s Own Power

Current Challenge:

Sepherina Continues her Quest of Strength

Prior Challenges

Spoiler

Sepherina:

#1 , #2 , #3 , #4 , #5 , #6 , #7 , #8 , #9#10#11

Avery The Patient:

#1 , #2 , #3 , #4 , #5 

On 3/26/2024 at 3:10 AM, titsworth said:

Goal 2: Find a Gym Buddy / Accountability Buddy

Haaave ya tried Crossfit? (As someone who does Crossfit I am of course obligated to try and get as many other people to do it as possible.)

In all seriousness though, it's really worked for me to have a consistent group of people that I meet at the gym and are doing the same things, without actually having to find a friend from outside of the gym who wants to lift together and do the same programming.

• Like 1

Level 21 Wood Elf Ranger

STR: 16  -  CON: 22  -  CHA: 9  -  SAN: 19 -  INT: 17

IAgreeWithTank™

"Shit is going down, but I am not." - iatetheyeti

Don't say "I don't have enough time", say instead "that's not a priority right now" and see how that makes you feel.

Current Challenge: Downtime

External: Epic Quest - Instagram - Strava

Spoiler

Previous Challenges: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 67 68 69 70 71

Old Stuff: Battle Log - My Introduction - 2017 Road Map - 2018 Road Map - 2019 Road Map - 2021 Road Map - 2022 road map/wrap-up