Forums are back in action! ×

The Movie Club: Discworld Edition

The adaptation of Going Postal came as a surprise to some and we're also heading into Hogswatch season, so we're doing a Discworld movie club.

There are two-part (four-hour) adaptations of both Hogfather and Going Postal. If those go down well and people feel like more, we can see if the old Wyrd Sisters and Soul Music cartoons are on Youtube still.

Because these are adaptations of books we've probably all read, there won't be any spoiler embargo.

The rules:

• The parts will be scheduled for a Friday. Watch on your own time, sort of vaguely weekendish, and join in the discussion.
  • There is no adaptation of Colour of Magic.

• Like 1
  • That's Metal 1

I felt like I could run forever, like I could smell the wind and feel the grass under my feet, and just run forever.

Current Challenge: #24 - Mrs. Cosmopolite Challenge

Past: #1, #2, #3, #4, #5, #6,  #7#8, #9#10, #11a & #11b, #12, #13, #14, #15, #16, #17, #18, #19, #20, #21, #22, #23

First order of business: scheduling.

Can I suggest the following:

• Going Postal part 1: November 5
  • Going Postal part 2: November 12
  • Wyrd Sisters cartoon: November 19
  • Soul Music cartoon: November 26
  • Hogfather part 1: December 3
  • Hogfather part 2: December 10

That's a little self-serving, my December is stupid crazy. So if people want to move Hogfather out more towards Christmas, that's cool. But this seems pretty close to a pleasant spread over the autumn and winter holidays. What do people think?

I believe Amazon Prime is streaming Going Postal and Hogfather with ads, and the cartoons are probably still on Youtube (low-res).

• Like 1

I felt like I could run forever, like I could smell the wind and feel the grass under my feet, and just run forever.

Past: #1, #2, #3, #4, #5, #6,  #7#8, #9#10, #11a & #11b, #12, #13, #14, #15, #16, #17, #18, #19, #20, #21, #22, #23

I don't know if I can match the dates exactly, but I am in.

Lol, I just checked if Going Postal is on amazond, and the German version names the character Feucht von Lipwig. Which means damp or humid. Or indeed, moist.

• Like 1

Let cheese and oxen and mead crowd out our secret desires for power and domination - Harriet the Viking

Just be bold, fluid and unapologetic, not small, hairy and indecisive - Harriet the Artist

You can absorb me! - Harriet the Contextless Guru

17 hours ago, Harriet said:

Lol, I just checked if Going Postal is on amazond, and the German version names the character Feucht von Lipwig. Which means damp or humid. Or indeed, moist.

To really get the translation right, he should be Feucht von Falscher-Schnurrbart or Feucht von Lippenperücke.

• Haha 1

Knowing what the end of my weeks are like, I started watching Going Postal. I saw the first half so far. Watching it on Amazon prime with ads every 10 minutes makes me wonder how I used to live like that back when it was normal. To make matters worse, it's the same 3-5 ads over and over and over again. 

• Like 1

Current Challenge

"By the Most-Righteous-and-Blessed Beard of Sir Tanktimus the Encourager!" - Jarl Rurik Harrgath

I can't promise I'll be able to stick to the schedule (in fact, it's almost a certainty that I won't be able to), but I will watch as many as I can manage.

• Like 1

The Great Reading Thread of 2024

“I've always believed that failure is non-existent. What is failure? You go to the end of the season, then you lose the Super Bowl. Is that failing? To most people, maybe. But when you're picking apart why you failed, and now you're learning from that, then is that really failing? I don't think so." - Kobe Bryant, 1978-2020. Rest in peace, great warrior.

Personal Challenges, a.k.a.The Saga of Scalyfreak: Tutorial; Ch 1; Ch 2; Ch 3; Ch 4; Ch 5; Ch 6; Intermission; Intermission II; Ch 7; Ch 8; Ch 9; Ch 10; Ch 11; Ch 12 ; Ch 13; Ch 14Ch 15; Ch 16; Ch 17; Intermission IIICh 18; Ch 19; Ch 20; Ch 21; Ch 22; Ch 23; Ch 24; Ch 25; Intermission IV; Ch 26; Ch 27; Ch 28; Ch 29; Ch 30; Ch 31; Ch 32; Ch 33; Ch 34; Ch 35; Ch 36; Ch 37; Ch 38; Ch 39; Ch 40; Intermission V; Ch 41; Ch 42; Ch 43; Ch 44; Ch 45; Ch 46; Ch 47; Intermission VI; Ch 48; Ch 49; Ch 50; Ch 51; Intermission VI

On 11/2/2021 at 6:54 PM, Scaly Freak said:

I can't promise I'll be able to stick to the schedule (in fact, it's almost a certainty that I won't be able to), but I will watch as many as I can manage.

Is there a schedule that'd work better?

On 11/2/2021 at 11:44 AM, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

Knowing what the end of my weeks are like, I started watching Going Postal. I saw the first half so far. Watching it on Amazon prime with ads every 10 minutes makes me wonder how I used to live like that back when it was normal. To make matters worse, it's the same 3-5 ads over and over and over again. 

I know, it's really weird. At least when I did the first half of the new Leverage, it was all trailers for interesting things.

I think they got most of the casting right. Not Drumknott, who's not even recognizable as Drumknott, but basically everyone else. The city watch cameo was fun.

8 hours ago, sarakingdom said:

I think they got most of the casting right. Not Drumknott, who's not even recognizable as Drumknott, but basically everyone else. The city watch cameo was fun.

Drumknott smiled way too much. 

Current Challenge

"By the Most-Righteous-and-Blessed Beard of Sir Tanktimus the Encourager!" - Jarl Rurik Harrgath

On 11/3/2021 at 9:20 PM, sarakingdom said:

Is there a schedule that'd work better?

My scheduled becomes very unpredictable between mid-November and the end of the year, so unfortunately I don't have suggestions. That's also why I intend to try to keep up, but make no promises.

“I've always believed that failure is non-existent. What is failure? You go to the end of the season, then you lose the Super Bowl. Is that failing? To most people, maybe. But when you're picking apart why you failed, and now you're learning from that, then is that really failing? I don't think so." - Kobe Bryant, 1978-2020. Rest in peace, great warrior.

Personal Challenges, a.k.a.The Saga of Scalyfreak: Tutorial; Ch 1; Ch 2; Ch 3; Ch 4; Ch 5; Ch 6; Intermission; Intermission II; Ch 7; Ch 8; Ch 9; Ch 10; Ch 11; Ch 12 ; Ch 13; Ch 14Ch 15; Ch 16; Ch 17; Intermission IIICh 18; Ch 19; Ch 20; Ch 21; Ch 22; Ch 23; Ch 24; Ch 25; Intermission IV; Ch 26; Ch 27; Ch 28; Ch 29; Ch 30; Ch 31; Ch 32; Ch 33; Ch 34; Ch 35; Ch 36; Ch 37; Ch 38; Ch 39; Ch 40; Intermission V; Ch 41; Ch 42; Ch 43; Ch 44; Ch 45; Ch 46; Ch 47; Intermission VI; Ch 48; Ch 49; Ch 50; Ch 51; Intermission VI

On 11/5/2021 at 3:53 PM, elisanns said:

LOVE the Discworld books. Definitely interested in joining in (and I certainly can't argue with that second rule ;) )

As far as I'm concerned, there's not even a book version of Colour of Magic, but I know for absolute certain that there is no adaptation of it. :D

• Like 1

Going Postal Part 1

Here we go!

Spoiler
  • This show has lovely credits. Lovely vintage tech, a very Ealing comedy old lady, it all works.
  • And then Moist von Falscher-Schnurrbart teaches us the ways of the falscher schnurrbart.
  • Angua is, very briefly, a delight.
  • Drumknott is too impish. There is nothing impish about Drumknott. He is the human equivalent of a manila envelope. With no sense of humor at all. This is so wrong. He twinkles.
  • Mr. Trooper, however, is perfect.
  • I love the Patrician's palace. It's the right mix of grand yet run-down.
  • What an admirable Vetinari. I adore his office. And that costume is a brilliant blend of Edwardian suit and Machiavellian robes.
  • I ask you, who has a bottomless pit in his side vestibule?
  • I adore the description of Mr. Pump as a very respectable parole officer.
  • Vetinari's office is even better the second time.
  • And so is Vetinari. Such a kind and also ruthless employer.
  • It's a lovely Ankh-Morpork, faded and worn and dirty.
  • I don't quite get "pirate" from Reacher Gilt, but he is a delight. Hell of a change from Poirot.
  • Ah, the post office staff clean like I do! (Just kidding. Sort of.)
  • Groat and Stanley are a lot of fun.
  • I had forgotten he was a pin fanboy. That is a lot of fun.
  • Ah, Moist, making friends and influencing people.
  • So this is not a very subtle allegory about the problems of privatizing public services.
  • Also unregulated capitalism in general. "When banks fail, it's not bankers who starve."
  • Dave's Pin Exchange is awesome. It is every comic book store ever.
  • EXTREME PINS. Women in leather holding pins, yes; nails, no.
  • Antimony Parker's daughter has a gorgeous costume and I love it.
  • Moist, staring at Mr. Pump's bum... somewhere there's an erotic version of this movie.
  • ...and it still has Adora Belle Dearheart and her crossbow.
  • She has a lot of nerve making fun of his parents for naming him Moist. Her name is Adora Belle Dearheart.
  • Claire Foy has become flavor of the month since doing this, and one can see why. She is great.
  • That's a pretty brutal introduction to the price of crime for Moist.
  • Ah, Antimony Parker is thirty years younger in this. That was probably his sister earlier, then.
  • Mr. Spools is great fun.
  • Moist is a great con man.
  • And knows the importance of grammar.
  • Sacharissa and Otto are a little bit off, but who cares, because they're here and they're great.
  • You almost feel sorry for Horsefry.
  • Adora Belle is a delight.
  • Getting caught in a letter tsunami in your bath tub is unfortunate. Any sort of tsunami, really.
  • Mr. Spools has such a classic "fanboy got married" story.
  • I like that the movie gave the stamp perforation discovery to Stanley.
  • I can imagine Mr. Pump ordering a horse with extra fizz.
  • A dozen golems could really turn that place around pretty fast.
  • Could I get a golem assistant somewhere?
  • Adora is fantastic, and they do have a weird chemistry.
  • Nosferatu here is very damp-looking.
  • I love that the Sto Lat post office is similarly run down with one lone holdout camping out. Not logical, but fun.
  • Mr. Pump, relationship counselor.
  • Ridcully is a pretty good Ridcully. Needs more crossbow.
  • Maybe Mr. Pump did not have the best advice when it comes to lying to scam a table. That didn't work out as well.
  • Poor Stanley, enjoying some orgasmic quality time with his stamps, and suddenly Nosferatu comes in to kill him.
  • This is a very awkward first date. Even before the evil third wheel shows up.
  • OH NO EVERYTHING IS BURNING.

In conclusion, there were enough cabbages in this.

• Like 2

On 11/2/2021 at 10:44 AM, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

I don't think the ads on Amazon Prime are the same as the TV adds that used to be normal. For one, there's hardly any variety, as you mentioned. But for another, they are clumsily delivered. Ads used to wait for a scene to end, do their thing, and then the next scene begun. these ads don't do that. They just fly in my face and are annoying. I suspect it has to do with content created for TV accounting for ads, so it is crated with commercial breaks in mind. Going Postal was not.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Scaly Freak said:

I suspect it has to do with content created for TV accounting for ads, so it is crated with commercial breaks in mind. Going Postal was not.

I think it was, actually. Sky One is a commercial station. But you do have to put the ads where the breaks were designed to be, not randomly.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, sarakingdom said:

I think it was, actually. Sky One is a commercial station. But you do have to put the ads where the breaks were designed to be, not randomly.

To add insult to injury, these ads are stupid. I think the Genexa one might have made some of my braincells cringe and retire in protest.

2 hours ago, sarakingdom said:

They are aggressively bad at this part. 

Case in point,

Spoiler

There's this scene where the post office is doing the thing it does where it shows Von Lipwig scenes from the past in the form of a silent movie, rubbing in all the many things his past crimes have ruined the lives of so many. The scene where it shows how the forged cabbage bonds ruined Adora's family, and subsequently her life, ends with Von Lipwig drowning literally in letters and metaphorically in remorse while whispering "I'm sorry Adora. I'm so sorry." He is less than half way through the second "sorry" when Amazon cuts in with a very happy commercial filled with cheerful loud music. We return to "..orry." Then move on to the next scene.

The words "immersion killing" come to mind.

• Like 1

Oh no! Going Postal is advertised on Amazon prime, but it is not available to rent in Germany. I can buy the DVD for an outrageous price from the UK. But on the other hand, they do have the colour of magic.

• Angry on your Behalf 1

Let cheese and oxen and mead crowd out our secret desires for power and domination - Harriet the Viking

Just be bold, fluid and unapologetic, not small, hairy and indecisive - Harriet the Artist

You can absorb me! - Harriet the Contextless Guru

7 hours ago, Harriet said:

Oh no! Going Postal is advertised on Amazon prime, but it is not available to rent in Germany. I can buy the DVD for an outrageous price from the UK. But on the other hand, they do have the colour of magic.

Now that is just rude.

Do you have access to a VPN that can pretend to be in different countries, by chance....? ?

• Like 1

On 10/29/2021 at 6:50 PM, sarakingdom said:

I believe Amazon Prime is streaming Going Postal and Hogfather with ads, and the cartoons are probably still on Youtube (low-res).

They are. Found them both.

• Like 1

I agree wholeheartedly with the previous comments on Going Postal.

Spoiler

They appear to have merged the characters of the jailers and Drumknott. I spent the first few minutes of the movie wondering which character that actor was portraying.

I love the scene with Adora Belle and Boris the horse. It is not in the book, but it works.

I like the way the move deals with the haunted Post Office messing with Moist's brain. Not the same as the book, but effective and makes the same point.

Not so sure about the banshee looking like a slimy vampire. Slime makes it more repulsive?

I picked up the book again and reread the first half for comparison. The movie holds up very well. Some parts of the story are presented differently, but the message is the same.

• Like 1

Level 80  Viking paladin

My current challenge  Battle log