Forums are back in action! ×

2024, January 1- March 18: Weight Loss PVP: 10 or 12 lbs in 10 or 12 Weeks!

Welcome aboard one and all, once again and once more to...

The 10/12lbs in 10/12 weeks weight-loss Player-versus-Player challenge! NEW YEAR! 2024!!

Now's the time to sign-up for a Player-versus-Player accountability challenge sure to motivate you to tackle those weight loss goals!  Of course, we only advocate losing healthy weight and using healthy methods to get there, this playful side quest is less about beating your peers to the finish line than it is about challenging yourself, making some new accountibilibuddies, and having a place to share your battle plan along the way.

New Year Penguin GIF by Pudgy PenguinsNew Year Christmas GIF by All Better

Feel free to set your goals online with either the 5 weeks of your next two challenges, or include both Week Zeros for a full 12 weeks.  Set goals that you think are realistic (that could even be 6lbs/12weeks or whatever works for you) It's okay to need a break sometimes, even if it’s not Week 0. If you find you need to take a week off, that’s okay. Take the time you need, and hop back into the spreadsheet when you’re ready. Stick around for the excellent company and to cheer on your fellow pirates.  

Weigh-in sometime this week, and again every week.  Share your data in the spreadsheet mentioned ad nauseum below!  Post your successes, struggles, and tips.

Friends Cartoon GIF by Peanuts

The Rules

1.      Sign-up using the SPREADSHEET.  Add your name & starting weight, waist measurements optional. Don’t enter a value for “Current Weight” just yet. That will update automatically. 10 or 12 lbs in 10 or 12 weeks (roughly 1lb or 0.5kg per week) is the goal but feel free to increase or decrease the difficulty as you see fit.  Whatever your goals are, you are most welcome to participate (even if you'd like to join in late)!

2.      Introduce yourself to your fellow competitors!  Feel free to mention your goals, any battle plans for getting there, and what your primary motivation or inspirations are.  Feel free to mention your Challenge goals or BattleLog too!  This is an excellent place to get to know others from the forums.

3.      Update the SPREADSHEET with your weekly weigh-ins.  We're using Monday as the 'official' day, but if Sunday, Tuesday, or any other day work better, go nuts!  Just keep it at roughly a week for tracking purposes.  This challenge is aligned with the current and next 5 Week Challenges, with optional weeks off for Zero Week at the start and in between. 

5. Have fun, encourage everyone, and keep each other accountable!

Workout Gym GIF by Framesequencegym fail GIF

Get hype but stay safe!  Also, anything done confidently cannot be considered failure!  Double also, did I mention the SPREADSHEET?

Tips for Success!

1.      Make with the exercise (maybe the cardio zoomies, maybe the heavy uppy-downies or the flippy-dippies?)

2.      Do-do the (calorie) deficit. 

3.      Gobble up the veggies.

4.      Gulp down the waters.

5.      Visit and update us (and the SPREADSHEET) regularly to build that accountability network.

6.      Share your workout playlist for MAXIMUM HYPE!! 

7.      Make your inner critic WALK THE PLANK! arrrrrrr!!! (we're still pirates)

This group concept and spreadsheet were created by Rurik, stolen ruthlessly and edited by pirates. Additional Thanks to The Most Loathed and TimovieMan for coding help with the spreadsheet

• Like 4

I've already signed up on the sheet, but my start weight will be determined on Friday, January 5th. Or Monday, January 8th. Or in the weekend in-between. That's when my post-festivities respawn starts...  ?

• Like 4

TimovieMan: funnier than you think he is; not as funny as he thinks he is...

Active challenges: Don't log, remain sensible | Walk to Mordor - (spreadsheet) | DailyDare | Weight Loss PVP 10/12 lbs in 10/12 weeks - (spreadsheet)

Old threads: Battle log | Challenge I | IIIIIIV | V | VI | VII | VIII | IX | X | XI | XII | XIII | XIV | XV | XVI | XVII | XVIII | XIX | XX | XXI | XXII | XXIII

1 hour ago, TimovieMan said:

I've already signed up on the sheet, but my start weight will be determined on Friday, January 5th. Or Monday, January 8th. Or in the weekend in-between. That's when my post-festivities respawn starts...  ?

AGREED ?? But my post-festivities begins Dec 29th when the kids leave so I'll probably use my New Years weigh in as my start but the following one will hopefully be a little more "real" if that makes sense (AKA not artificially inflated due to water retention/bloating or a few extra yummies in the tummies). There really isn't any more big food-related indulgences planned between today and Friday morning, anyway, so I might even see some of Monday and yesterday's excess drop off in the coming days to make the New Years weigh in a little less......undesirable ?Though there is nothing quite like seeing a high weigh in after festivities to kick my butt into gear before things snowball....

Though if New Years weigh in seems super high I may forego it so I don't skew my numbers/percentages lost.

• Like 5

You don't have to be perfect, you just have to be better than you were before. Do that every day and you will succeed.

You're the bomb, Snarky! B)  Thanks for putting it together again.

Am I counting incorrectly?  I only see 11 weeks on the spreadsheet.  If start date is January 1 then wouldn't week 12 end on March 25?

I'll be running my weeks Sunday-to-Sunday and aiming for 1.5 pounds per week for a total of 18, but if I can get 20 then I might just crack the 200-lb mark again!  That'll be just about time to start my reverse diet and slowly bring my calories back up.  Happily for me I'm starting 2024 on two weeks of vacation with no plans and only our 20th wedding anniversary as a potential feast day before the February birthdays.  Should be a good season for the race back to Onederland.

I've got my eyes on the prize:

QaFOQXbl.jpg

• Like 1
  • That's Metal 6

He has showed you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of

you but to do justly, and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God?

22 hours ago, Darciana said:

AGREED ?? But my post-festivities begins Dec 29th when the kids leave so I'll probably use my New Years weigh in as my start but the following one will hopefully be a little more "real" if that makes sense (AKA not artificially inflated due to water retention/bloating or a few extra yummies in the tummies). There really isn't any more big food-related indulgences planned between today and Friday morning, anyway, so I might even see some of Monday and yesterday's excess drop off in the coming days to make the New Years weigh in a little less......undesirable ?Though there is nothing quite like seeing a high weigh in after festivities to kick my butt into gear before things snowball....

Though if New Years weigh in seems super high I may forego it so I don't skew my numbers/percentages lost.

Have fun this weekend! We’ll see you when we see you ?

20 hours ago, DrFeelgood said:

You're the bomb, Snarky! B)  Thanks for putting it together again.

Am I counting incorrectly?  I only see 11 weeks on the spreadsheet.  If start date is January 1 then wouldn't week 12 end on March 25?

I'll be running my weeks Sunday-to-Sunday and aiming for 1.5 pounds per week for a total of 18, but if I can get 20 then I might just crack the 200-lb mark again!  That'll be just about time to start my reverse diet and slowly bring my calories back up.  Happily for me I'm starting 2024 on two weeks of vacation with no plans and only our 20th wedding anniversary as a potential feast day before the February birthdays.  Should be a good season for the race back to Onederland.

I've got my eyes on the prize:

QaFOQXbl.jpg

There are 12 weeks. Actually there are 13 weeks. The final weigh-in day does overlap with the first weigh in of the next challenge though for March 25 on the spreadsheet. I should fix that. I might.

i love the suit! You can do this!

2 hours ago, deftona said:

Ooooh I might join this time! Popping this comment here so I remember to come back! 

Glad to have you aboard! Dont forget to sign up on the spreadsheet

• Like 1

Cat Working GIF by Looney Tunes

For planning ahead purposes the 2024 challenge dates are

Challenge 1: January 1st - February 4th, 2024

Challenge 2: February 12th - March 17th, 2024

Challenge 3: March 25th - April 28th, 2024

Challenge 4: May 6th - June 9th, 2024

Challenge 5: June 17th - July 21st, 2024

Challenge 6: July 29th - September 1st, 2024

Challenge 7: September 9th - October 13th, 2024

Challenge 8: October 21st - November 24th, 2024

Challenge 9: December 2nd - December 22nd, 2024 (3 weeks)

This means our PVP dates will be in 2024:

1. January 1st-March 18th

2. March 25th- June 10th

3. June 17th-September 2nd

4. September 9th-November 25th

5. Holiday edition starting December 2nd if  we vote “Aye” on that one :D 

We differ slightly from the challenge dates because weigh ins are Mondays so it makes sense to end each PVP on a Monday. :)  I will have each new PVP and its companion spreadsheet ready to go before the end of the previous one so we can transition seamlessly each week. Signing up for this PVP does not commit you to the entire year to participate; but we will be here for all of 2024. ?

happy beach GIF by Hey Duggee

• Like 3
  • That's Metal 3

Lovely!  Naturally I'm in again, and perpetually until I hit my Onederland someday.    

2024 Roadmap to be published soon with the deets on how I plan to achieve my goals.  Spoiler - It's not that much different than now.  

• Like 4

Race: Amazonian Ogre Princess | Class: Ranger | Profession: SuperHero | Affiliation: Doodlie and Pancake for Life

Respawn Challenge Arcs: 2021 | 2022

I am not saying I am Wonder Woman. I am just saying no one has ever seen me and Wonder Woman together in the same room.

Original Spawn Challenges 2014 - 2020: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 789, 10, 11, 12 , 131415, 1617181920, 21, 2223242526272829303132, 33, 3435, 36??

Roadmaps: 2016 | 2017 | 2018 | 2019 | 2020

Starting weight = 290.4 (2014); Current weight = 241.2; Total pounds lost: 49.2

7 hours ago, Shello said:

2024 Roadmap to be published soon with the deets on how I plan to achieve my goals.  Spoiler - It's not that much different than now.  

I really enjoyed reading your roadmap. I appreciate the effort you put in to laying everything out. Thank you for sharing. 

• Like 3

Past Challenges: #1, #2#3#4#5#6#7#8#9#10#11#12#13#14#15#16

Current Challenge: #17

“Finish each day and be done with it. You have done what you could. Some blunders and absurdities no doubt crept in; forget them as soon as you can. Tomorrow is a new day. You shall begin it serenely and with too high a spirit to be encumbered with your old nonsense.” Ralph Waldo Emerson

Here again for this one but I am not going to really really expect anything in the short term because the holidays are still ongoing here until mid Feb.  Mostly joining for solidarity and tracking

• Like 3
HUNTER OF ALL THINGS SHINY

Intro Thread   Challenge Log   Bodyweight Exercise Library   Recipe Book   Shuffle Club 

Level 2 Ninja

Strength: 13 Intelligence: 14 Wisdom: 6 Dexterity:14 Constitution: 12 Charisma: 11

On 12/30/2023 at 2:43 AM, WhiteGhost said:

Here again for this one but I am not going to really really expect anything in the short term because the holidays are still ongoing here until mid Feb.  Mostly joining for solidarity and tracking

Happy to have you regardless ?

• Like 1

You don't have to be perfect, you just have to be better than you were before. Do that every day and you will succeed.

01/01 - 154.8

01/08

01/15

01/22

01/29

02/05

02/12

02/19

02/26

03/04

03/11

03/18

It could've been far worse. I've been hovering in the low 155 range for the last several days. I let some stress due to a failing septic tank (and the multiple thousands of dollars I'm needing to come up with in the next month or two. Talking $10k minimum, likely closer to $20k) and the kids returning back to their mom's get to me. I went crazy with the cookies (they're all gone now) and didn't stick to moderate carb eating on Friday/Saturday like I had planned. Low carb went okay yesterday, but I'm still horribly high on calories. I need to get my portions in check which is my initial goal with this new challenge. Today is a normal eating day and we're headed to our friends for the Michigan/Alabama game (I'm a die hard Michigan fan and Kers is a die hard Harbaugh fan) and the Lucky New Years dinner (They do it every year, this will be my first year partaking in a "lucky" dinner related to New Years... I suppose I should read up on that). Day one of minding my portions, and under stress, too!

This should be the last week of my current running app. As of Friday's run, I needed only 3.6 miles to hit the money back goal. Once I hit that, I'm switching apps because that one is awful (Joggo). I ran this morning and have a run Wednesday and Friday. I'll get another mileage update on Friday. I don't see how I won't hit goal by then based on past mileage with these scheduled workouts. I have about 3 hours before we head to our friend's to build a strength workout plan for Tuesday and Thursday this week and next week that won't leave me so sore I can barely walk (waddle). We should be getting our Peloton delivered the 11th and I believe the Man ordered the Bike+ so I'll have strength workouts I can do on that to change things up.

Enough blabbering about. To start off this challenge fresh, I'm going to focus on listening to my body and getting more in tune with it. This includes workouts (is it feeling okay, am I progressing too slow/fast, do I need to switch things up), rest (am I pushing too hard, not enough, am I at risk for injury, etc), recovery (am I resting enough, am I stretching sufficiently, am I providing my body the right nutrients to build/maintain muscle), nutrition (what to eat), portions/hunger cues (how much to eat and when), and emotional health which can impact all of the above and then some.

• Like 5

12-31:  218.7 lbs  (start)

ZKet8Trl.jpg

This is the lowest I've been to start a new year since I started tracking.  Even in 2015 when I had that epic run (my first year of NerdFitness) I still climbed back up over 220 before 2016.  Of course that 220 was significantly leaner than this one since I'd been strength training for most of that year, but I'm choosing to focus on the positive.  :D

12 weeks to break 200, I can do this!

• Like 5
  • That's Metal 1

He has showed you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of

you but to do justly, and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God?

Hello Nerds! I'm back and ready to kick butt.

I ended 2023 in the way most fitting for the way the second half of the year went: as soon as I got done with work for the year I got sick! Some stupid nasty cold that just wouldn't go away (I'd say I'm all better, but I've still got a bit of a cough). I'm really hoping whatever it was, it wasn't whatever Husband had that turned into bronchitis (that he's still not 100% over, even after antibiotics).

Anyway, that's all in the past, and I am feeling good about this year. I don't know what it's going to look like, but I feel like good things are coming. And I'm going to work to make sure that actually happens.

I am starting with aiming for a minimum of 20 minutes of exercise every day and a minimum of one serving of fruit or vegetables with every meal and snack.

Weight-loss goal is 10lbs over the 12 weeks.

1/1: 174.1

• Like 6

Wood Elf Waywatcher Mandalorian (Assassin/Ranger hybrid)

14 hours ago, Elennare said:

Hello fellow Wolverine! ????

Yay, Friends!!! ???

I don't know about you, but I burned some serious calories during that game.... My heart rate was up over 130 the entire 4th quarter and through OT. Today was supposed to be a strength workout but I'm so sore I think I can count last night as one instead!

• Like 1

January 1, 2024 weigh in: 211.9

Weekly average

12/15 - 12/31: 214.3

I had an extremely high bodyweight week, nearly dinging 216 twice but by the end of the week I had settled right back to my baseline prior to Christmas. No idea what I ate that caused the crazy bounce.  Based on last week's average I set my weightloss phase starting goal to 215, it will lower itself 1  lb per week. I'm planning to do weightloss through the end of March. Ideally I will exceed my 1 lbs per week goal and tap 190 (~22 lbs in 14 weeks). If I can have as much success as I had last summer, this is achievable. Either way, end of March I will return to a maintenance phase and make the decision then as to whether I want to keep pushing down or hold. 

Yesterday (Monday the first) I dropped my calories from 2800 to 2200. 

• Like 6

You can't spell Slaughter without laughter

1 hour ago, Darciana said:

Yay, Friends!!! ???

I don't know about you, but I burned some serious calories during that game.... My heart rate was up over 130 the entire 4th quarter and through OT. Today was supposed to be a strength workout but I'm so sore I think I can count last night as one instead!

I did not get that worked up over it, but my husband did. :)  It was a crazy game!  And then we watched the Huskies game, because he got his masters from UW, which proved to be another crazy game.  So, he gets to watch his two schools play each other for the national title.

• Like 2

Wood Elf Waywatcher Mandalorian (Assassin/Ranger hybrid)

7 minutes ago, Elennare said:

I did not get that worked up over it, but my husband did. :)  It was a crazy game!  And then we watched the Huskies game, because he got his masters from UW, which proved to be another crazy game.  So, he gets to watch his two schools play each other for the national title.

I didn't last past halftime for UW but I saw some highlights this morning! The championship will be a very interesting one.

• Like 2

On 1/1/2024 at 5:14 PM, Darciana said:

It could've been far worse. I've been hovering in the low 155 range for the last several days. I let some stress due to a failing septic tank (and the multiple thousands of dollars I'm needing to come up with in the next month or two. Talking $10k minimum, likely closer to $20k) and the kids returning back to their mom's get to me.

Wow, that is a lot of stress! Good on you for getting back on it after all that; that's some big stuff.

23 hours ago, DrFeelgood said:

12 weeks to break 200, I can do this!

Hell yeah you can!

22 minutes ago, Snarkyfishguts said:

Most of this is stress but now that source of stress is gone so I am definitely excited to start the new year!

Train Hype GIF

Also, thanks for putting this thread together Snarky, it was really good to join you guys (a little late) last year.

Starting weight: 174.1lbs

Starting waist: 37 ¾ inches

I'm going for the 12lbs in 12 weeks. I think I should actually be able to do 15lbs if everything goes perfectly, but when does everything go perfectly? I won't be tracking my waist throughout the challenge, other than by seeing if I go down a belt loop, so that'll be a (hopefully nice) surprise in March.

• Like 3

Level 21 Wood Elf Ranger

STR: 18  -  CON: 22  -  CHA: 11  -  SAN: 19  -  INT: 17

IAgreeWithTank™

"Shit is going down, but I am not." - iatetheyeti

Don't say "I don't have enough time", say instead "that's not a priority right now" and see how that makes you feel.

Current Challenge: Jarric: The 'C' Team

External: Epic Quest - Instagram - Strava

Spoiler

Previous Challenges: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74

Old Stuff: Battle Log - My Introduction - 2017 Road Map - 2018 Road Map - 2019 Road Map - 2021 Road Map - 2022 road map/wrap-up

21 hours ago, Jarric said:

Wow, that is a lot of stress! Good on you for getting back on it after all that; that's some big stuff.

Hell yeah you can!

Train Hype GIF

Also, thanks for putting this thread together Snarky, it was really good to join you guys (a little late) last year.

Starting weight: 174.1lbs

Starting waist: 37 ¾ inches

I'm going for the 12lbs in 12 weeks. I think I should actually be able to do 15lbs if everything goes perfectly, but when does everything go perfectly? I won't be tracking my waist throughout the challenge, other than by seeing if I go down a belt loop, so that'll be a (hopefully nice) surprise in March.

Yesss! You got this!!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1