Forums are back in action! ×

Game of Thrones

All GoT resurrecting is fine by me. I'm current on the books and the show. I like the different path they're taking Sansa on in the show, it's more interesting than what's going on in the books and I think will provide better character development. Not sure about what they're doing with Jamie, the character development in the books was going really well and I don't see how they're going to get something similar with his current path in the show.

Massrandir, Barkûn, Swolórin, The Whey Pilgrim
500 / 330 / 625
Challenges: 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 31 32 34 35 36 39 41 42 45 46 47 48 49 Current Challenge
"No citizen has a right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable. " ~ Socrates
"Friends don't let friends squat high." ~ Chad Wesley Smith
"It's a dangerous business, Brodo, squatting to the floor. You step into the rack, and if you don't keep your form, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to." ~ Gainsdalf

Current on the show... about 1/4 of the way thru book 5. I like the direction of Sansa's storyline as well vs. the books. Quite interesting.

Due to the weird split with 4 and 5 I feel like some parts of the show are being spoiled for me and others aren't, which is strange. Although a lot of them have taken different directions than the book, they are still close enough to make a difference.

7 books are the current plan actually Katariana, but hopefully he sticks to it.  At this point he has to keep moving or the show will catch up.  Enough happens in later books that they could easily split later books into 2 seasons like they are doing w/season 3 and 4 of the TV show.  Also, the 5 and 6 year gap is a more recent thing.  The first 3 books were 96, 99, 2000.  Then it was 2005 and 2011 for the next 2.  Part of the massive delay was that he had originally planned to do a 5 year jump ahead in the timeline and backfill info for people, but after getting pretty far w/that idea he scrapped it all and then ended up splitting the characters like he did. 

Currently the TV show doesn't plan to split any other books into multiple seasons and they will reconstitute AFFC and ADWD into one book and tell it all chronologcally over 2 seasons.  So, given that, this would give us the following schedule.

2013 Season 3: Storm of Swords Pt 1

2014 Season 4: Storm of Swords Pt 4

2015 Season 5: Feast for Crows/Dance with Dragons Pt 1

2016 Season 6: Feast for Crows/Dance with Dragons Pt 2

2017 Season 7: Winds of Winter

2018 Season 8: Dream of Spring (shooting Fall 2017)

So if he can get the next book out sometime in 2014 and have the last book published in late 2017 (or even early 2018 before the last season airs since he could share all he has w/the producers), things will work out.  If he goes much beyond this tho, things will get a bit wonky.

OP>The worst thing for me about his decision to split the northern and southern characters into 2 separate books is going an entire book with NO TYRION!!!  Seriously, Tyrion is a fantastic character and I was so glad when I heard they had Dinklage for the role, b/c he's been great for years. 

Ahhhh looking back on this comment is hilarious. How are you feeling now? At this point hoping for a 2017 release of book 6 would be nice lol

Current Challenge

# 39#38 | #37 | #36 | #35 |#34 | #33 | #32 | #31 | #30#29#28#27#26#25 | # 24 | #23#22#21 | #20 | #19 | #18 | #17#16#15#14 | #13 | #12 | #11 | #10#9#8 | #7 | #6 | #5 | #4 | #3 | #2#1 | Battle Log

Instagram | Goodreads

That might be a realistic goal for GRRM.  Might be.

Still I'm loving Season 5.  That being said I'm wary and only cautiously excited to see which direction the creative team at HBO is going to take for the rest of the season. 

Definitely entering uncharted territory here.

[Level ??] Rurik, the Thunderer

Class: Stormborn War-Shaman (Path of Giants Barbarian/Conquest Paladin/Elemental Domain Cleric)

BRUTALITY 11 | FINESSE 10 | VIGOR 11 | INSIGHT 14 | WILL 13

Equipment:  Studded leather armor, war club, plus adventurer's pack containing rations, rope, and nature-based potions. 

"Rangers have to at least give up on pants. It's a special rule we enacted after Rurik became a Guild Leader.” – DarK_RaideR

"Did I just get my ass kicked by a member of Metallica meets History Channel's Vikings?" - Wild Wolf

"By the Well-Oiled-and-Meticulously-Groomed Beard of Rurik!" - Tanktimus the Encourager

Still I'm loving Season 5.  That being said I'm wary and only cautiously excited to see which direction the creative team at HBO is going to take for the rest of the season.

Can you explain why? Maybe I am just missing something but till now this season is so boring to me, probably because I don't care about Sansa, anyone at the wall, in Kings Landing nor (for) Khaleesi.

Can you explain why? Maybe I am just missing something but till now this season is so boring to me, probably because I don't care about Sansa, anyone at the wall, in Kings Landing nor (for) Khaleesi.

There's not much of a reason for you to keep tuning in, is there really?  Haha.

I'm a huge fan of Jon Snow and I really enjoy Kit Harrington's portrayal of him.  Also like the TV version of Stannis and Davos, and I'm liking where HBO is taking Jorah.  Although the King's Landing story arch is frustrating as hell, it's still interesting to see what subtle nuances the writers will add in to deviate from the literature.

Not a fan of Arya or Bran, so I'm mostly ahead there, and I don't really care for Daenarys' storyline except where it concerns Daario, who I find wildly entertaining in the show.  So basically this season is almost entirely suited toward my interests.  Oh, and Bronn with Jamie in Dorne has been an enjoyable diversion so far as well.  Here's to hoping we see a lot more of Tormund Giantsbane in the episodes to come!

Class: Stormborn War-Shaman (Path of Giants Barbarian/Conquest Paladin/Elemental Domain Cleric)

Equipment:  Studded leather armor, war club, plus adventurer's pack containing rations, rope, and nature-based potions. 

"Rangers have to at least give up on pants. It's a special rule we enacted after Rurik became a Guild Leader.” – DarK_RaideR

"Did I just get my ass kicked by a member of Metallica meets History Channel's Vikings?" - Wild Wolf

"By the Well-Oiled-and-Meticulously-Groomed Beard of Rurik!" - Tanktimus the Encourager

There's not much of a reason for you to keep tuning in, is there really?  Haha.

I'm a huge fan of Jon Snow and I really enjoy Kit Harrington's portrayal of him.  Also like the TV version of Stannis and Davos, and I'm liking where HBO is taking Jorah.  Although the King's Landing story arch is frustrating as hell, it's still interesting to see what subtle nuances the writers will add in to deviate from the literature.

Not a fan of Arya or Bran, so I'm mostly ahead there, and I don't really care for Daenarys' storyline except where it concerns Daario, who I find wildly entertaining in the show.  So basically this season is almost entirely suited toward my interests.  Oh, and Bronn with Jamie in Dorne has been an enjoyable diversion so far as well.  Here's to hoping we see a lot more of Tormund Giantsbane in the episodes to come!

Haha not really but I keep hoping and damn I totally forgott about Bran and his crew (I hope they don't come back).

Right now I only care for Bronn, Jorah Mormont, Varys and even though I like Tyrion Lannister I am not really invested into his story right now. So my peeps don't have much screen time but I have the hope that the black bodyguard in Dorne becomes a bigger role, I don't know why but I like him.

Ok, so, I just finished LOTR: Fellowship this morning.  (I posted on another board whether to read LOTR or Game)  After finishing that, I think I'd like to take a break from Tolkien and rest my brain.  

I was thinking about finding something a little lighter to "read" (I listen to the audiobook on my morning and afternoon commutes).  But after reading this thread, I really am thinking I may start Game of Thrones.

I also have Season 1 in my Netflix DVD queue.

• Like 1

KB4RN3S the level 2 Wood elf, Ranger 
STR 2|DEX 1|CON 3|STA 2|WIS 2|CHA 0
Current challenge

"Mental toughness is to physical as four is to one."

~Bobby Knight~

"The only way of finding the limits of the possible is by going beyond them into the impossible."

~Arthur C. Clarke~ 

Ok, so, I just finished LOTR: Fellowship this morning.  (I posted on another board whether to read LOTR or Game)  After finishing that, I think I'd like to take a break from Tolkien and rest my brain.  

I was thinking about finding something a little lighter to "read" (I listen to the audiobook on my morning and afternoon commutes).  But after reading this thread, I really am thinking I may start Game of Thrones.

I also have Season 1 in my Netflix DVD queue.

You won't regret that decision one bit.  It'll suck you right in.

• Like 1

I just finished book 5 last night, and I'm not gonna lie guys... I'm kind of disappointed. Books 3-5 didn't compare at all to books 1 and 2. I'm not ashamed to admit I like the way the show is going a lot more than the books. The books introduced so many characters that don't matter and so many story lines that close themselves that don't really contribute to the overarching plot line.

• Like 2

Current Challenge

# 39#38 | #37 | #36 | #35 |#34 | #33 | #32 | #31 | #30#29#28#27#26#25 | # 24 | #23#22#21 | #20 | #19 | #18 | #17#16#15#14 | #13 | #12 | #11 | #10#9#8 | #7 | #6 | #5 | #4 | #3 | #2#1 | Battle Log

Instagram | Goodreads

I just finished book 5 last night, and I'm not gonna lie guys... I'm kind of disappointed. Books 3-5 didn't compare at all to books 1 and 2. I'm not ashamed to admit I like the way the show is going a lot more than the books. The books introduced so many characters that don't matter and so many story lines that close themselves that don't really contribute to the overarching plot line.

I had only read the first couple of books before the show came out, and then the last few concurrent to the show. I definitely agree. There are far too many negligible plot lines and characters running amok in the books that, strictly speaking, aren't all that necessary to the overarching story. Some of those characters I find myself missing the in the show though, like Victarion Greyjoy. But for the most part the show's writers have done a pretty job. I remember thinking they handled some storylines better than GRRM himself did (can't recall which ones off the top of my head though).

There have only been a couple of segues from the story that I haven't been pleased with. Minor stuff, really,

like killing Ser Barristan off, but still poignant nonetheless.

I think there is still potential for them to bring back some of the Greyjoy plot lines in S6. Also, curious if Quentyn Martell and Aegon Targaryean will be brought up.

There have only been a couple of segues from the story that I haven't been pleased with. Minor stuff, really,

like killing Ser Barristan off, but still poignant nonetheless.

I was also disappointed in this, particularly since he became a POV character in book 5, I started to connect with him more as a reader. I particularly like the way they did Sansa in the show, it seemed like in the book she didn't really have a lot going on with her besides just hanging out in the Vale.

I'm honestly kind of glad that book 6 isn't out yet, because I'm not sure I would have continued had it been. I think having some time to settle between 5 and 6 might make me more keen on the series again.

Current Challenge

Instagram | Goodreads

I'm honestly kind of glad that book 6 isn't out yet, because I'm not sure I would have continued had it been. I think having some time to settle between 5 and 6 might make me more keen on the series again.

I needed a break too.  You can only take so much death, doom, and destruction before your heart starts to give out.  I'm still feeling the heartbreak from the finale at this point.  Damn, that was a doozy!

• Like 2

So yeah, shits going down on the show. Remember to use spoiler tags.

• Like 2

500 / 330 / 625
Challenges: 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 31 32 34 35 36 39 41 42 45 46 47 48 49 Current Challenge
"No citizen has a right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable. " ~ Socrates
"It's a dangerous business, Brodo, squatting to the floor. You step into the rack, and if you don't keep your form, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to." ~ Gainsdalf

Been reading these books since the first one came out... or rather, either shortly before or shortly after the second one came out, because I remember I didn't have to wait long for #2 but did have to wait for #3. Or what we thought was "waiting" back then. Which means that I got in on the ground floor before there was much of a fandom and word-of-mouth regarding these books (although I was also on Usenet back then and followed relevant groups; certain well-known and some less well-known fan theories have been around for a good long time). I was somewhat familiar with the author already (his main claim to fame before ASOIAF was his award-winning short stories, if you can believe it; "Sandkings" remains one of the greats of all time) and picked up book #1 knowing nothing (like Jon Snow) but thought it looked like a pretty competent take on the typical large-scale fantasy blockbuster. Okay, here's the map, here are the various cultures inspired by historical Earth cultures, here's the mystical threat, here's the protagonist who's going to do this and that and the other thing, here's the scheming bad guys who will cause this and that type of trouble, let's see how it plays out... knew it was something extraordinary toward the end when the killing-off of apparently central characters commenced.

I am perfectly fine and at peace with the fact that the TV show and the books are each doing their own thing now.

Oh, and as for translations being split in multiple volumes: This is a very common thing; translated texts tend to end up somewhat longer than the original and these books (like many others in the genre) are pretty long to begin with, so the threshold for a book becoming physically awkwardly huge is often crossed. (The publishing house which does the Norwegian translations is run by an old nerd-gaming buddy of mine from high school, incidentally; they secured the rights shortly before the TV series was announced, I'm sure they've done all right for themselves financially out of that instance of excellent timing.)

On 5/17/2016 at 7:51 AM, Gainsdalf the Whey said:

So yeah, shits going down on the show. Remember to use spoiler tags.

AHHHHH!!! Best season by far!

Current Challenge

Instagram | Goodreads

On 26.5.2016 at 2:19 AM, Haikoo said:

So can I get PTSD from a show? I watched the newest episode last night.

Traumatized. I couldn't even sleep last night.:grief::frown-new:

Dr.-Who.gif

Reveal hidden contents

I will never hear "Hold the door" again without reliving this trauma.

All of this gives me mixed feelings whether to even start watching the show..

(Read the books halfway to 5, though)

And you totally can. Some things shake you up. 

'What has been seen can never be unseen.'

Or unread, for that matter. It's a good thing we forget.

"There is beauty in hardship / There are poems in grief" -Assemblage 23, Damaged

| STR:2.25 | DEX:2.25 | STA:2 | CON:1.25 | CHA:3.25 | WIS:7 | A place I will collect my woots - if I remember

Challenges | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 |  6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 15.115.2 |

Milythaels'  HOoRAY for which I am grateful | Today, right now, I am alive. And that is good.

It is amazing the power of those small gestures of love and kindness have on our lives. <3 - Liberator

"I myself am made entirely of flaws, stiched together with good intentions." - Augusten Burroughs, Magical thinking:True stories

"Pick up the pieces and keep going, one painfully slow step at a time." Hiraedd the twice-risen, hamadryad. 

"Spread love and understanding. Use force if necessary." - Leon Trotsky

"Let me think about the people I care about the most, and when they fail or disappoint me, I still love them, I still give them chances, and I still see the best in them. Let me extend that generosity to myself." zefrank1, An Invocation for Beginnings

"I don't feel guilty for wanting. That's like being mad because you have to breathe or pee. It just is." Someone in Reddit

"If you do strange things, strange things will happen!"

"That's it! Now go make something beautiful." -Jake Parker

What are we to expect in Winds of Winter that would be different from the next season in Game of Thrones. I think GRRM will complete it by 8th season. I'll have to reread the entire series just to get in touch with the story before starting with Winds of Winter (whenever it is due).

However, I'm happy that I forget many sub-plots as it makes watching the series more enjoyable.

On ‎6‎/‎7‎/‎2016 at 3:29 AM, travis1221 said:

What are we to expect in Winds of Winter that would be different from the next season in Game of Thrones. I think GRRM will complete it by 8th season. I'll have to reread the entire series just to get in touch with the story before starting with Winds of Winter (whenever it is due).

However, I'm happy that I forget many sub-plots as it makes watching the series more enjoyable.

Don't know if they're going to use the other Targaeyan at all in the show, so there's that. I feel like he's going to be what gets the knights out of the Vale in the books. Also, everything Stoneheart does if she doesn't get introduced, but there's theories that she will soon in the show.

500 / 330 / 625

10 hours ago, Gainsdalf the Whey said:

Hide contents

Don't know if they're going to use the other Targaeyan at all in the show, so there's that. I feel like he's going to be what gets the knights out of the Vale in the books. Also, everything Stoneheart does if she doesn't get introduced, but there's theories that she will soon in the show.

I think the other Targaryen would make a headway in season 7, rather i think they'll be planning to end the 7th season by showing a glimpse of him (i might be wrong).

As for Lady Stonehart I believe she might be introduced at the end of this season. Best would be the look on Daenerys's face when she find her claim is not so rightful anymore. Well, who am I kidding, Targaryens were always a race of "pure blood".