Forums are back in action! ×

Tabletop/Board Games

They may look similar at first rules glance, but they don't feel the same to me at all. Coup is quick and light hearted. "I play the Duke!", "I call bullshit!", "Darn, you got me!". Resistance is much more involved and heated, in my experience. A whole lot more debate (read: yelling at each other), and generally takes longer to play.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Since we are all nerds and are talking about tabletop games I'm going just leave this here

https://www.youtube.com/user/geekandsundry/search?query=tabletop

This is a "show" hosted by Wil Weaton where he gets a bunch of other famous celebrities of the nerd culture (mostly) together to play tabletop games.

• Like 1

Level 1 Nord  Epic Quest

STR 3 | DEX 3 | STA 2 | CON 3 | WIS 3.5 | CHA 4

Original Challenge | 1ST | 2nd | joining the bebopReturn to the rangers |

Spoiler

"They wouldn't mind a corpse of you. Now, you can luxuriate in a nice jail cell, but if your hand touches metal, I swear, by my pretty floral bonnet, I will end you." - Mal

Since we are all nerds and are talking about tabletop games I'm going just leave this here

This is a "show" hosted by Wil Weaton where he gets a bunch of other famous celebrities of the nerd culture (mostly) together to play tabletop games.

Love that show! I've been watching Table Top since it started and backed their kickstarter too 

It sometimes gets the rules wrong but is solidly entertaining.

• Like 2

Half-Ork Scout Leader
Running PRs : 5K 24m16s | 10K 53m32s | 15K 1h18m09s | Half Marathon 2h1m44s | Marathon 4h42m2s 
Past Challenges #1 #2 #3 #4 #5 #6 #7 #8 #9 #10 #11 #12 #13  #14 #15 #16 #17 #18 #19 #20 #21 #22
                               #23 #24 #25 #26 #27 #28 #29 #30 #31 #32 #33 #34 #35 #36 #37 #38 #39 #40
Current Challenge Don't Call It A Comeback

Yeah, I have always wanted to watch it, but never have the time.

Massrandir, Barkûn, Swolórin, The Whey Pilgrim
500 / 330 / 625
Challenges: 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 31 32 34 35 36 39 41 42 45 46 47 48 49 Current Challenge
"No citizen has a right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable. " ~ Socrates
"Friends don't let friends squat high." ~ Chad Wesley Smith
"It's a dangerous business, Brodo, squatting to the floor. You step into the rack, and if you don't keep your form, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to." ~ Gainsdalf

I've recently gotten back into tabletop gaming, and have been having a lot of fun with talisman and a bunch of the expansions, and I've also got munchkin, and citadels (good quicker games). Recently though, I picked up a copy of games workshops assassinorum execution force, and a friend picked up warhammer 40k relic. I know games workshop don't traditionally do board games, but these two are, and I'm looking forward to giving them both a go.

• Like 1

Dwarf Warrior
I am today what I made myself yesterday, I will be tomorrow what I make of myself today.

Current challenge: Juni0r83 works on his Schedule-Fu

Previous challenge: Juni0r83 re-evaluates and refocuses

Another game that I absolutely love is Resistance! I've gotten almost all my friends hooked on this one, more a card game than a board game, and more a social experiment than anything else. It is really fun. 5-10 players, and the group is split into two teams. There are bad guys and good guys. The bad guys will know who each other are, but the good guys won't know anything. Through gameplay lasting 5 rounds, it is up to the good guys to figure out who their evil infiltrators are!

The same people released Avalon, and while I haven't played resistance, I think they are vaguely linkable. Avalon is a must reccommend for larger groups. I've played with 8, and you can play with up to 10.

Other favourites include DixIt, Ticket to Ride, Balderdash, Cards against Humanity and Settlers of Catan. :)

Level 1 Grey Elf Adventurer    STR 1|DEX 2|STA 3|CON 3|WIS 4.5|CHA 2.5

Current Challenge    Previous Challenges one

Eating 2 meals a day

67%
67%

walking 10,000 steps a day

45%
45%

working out daily

14%
14%

to do ticks

50%
50%

A few notes, all riffing of what others have said:

1) I've enjoyed Munchkin with my game group. We have 5 versions that we mix together to play with at the same time. We also play the Epic variation, where there are 20 levels instead of 10 (11-20 being "Epic"), you can't die while Epic, and you draw two door cars instead of one on Epic. We really enjoy screwing each other over.

2) If you enjoy Settlers of Catan, look into getting the expansion, Cities and Knights. It adds quite a bit to the game, and gives an extra layer of strategy to it.

3) If you like Eldritch Horror, definitely check out Arkham Horror. The former is inspired by the latter, and both are based off H.P. Lovecraft's books. It's still cooperative. There are a large number of expansions for it, as well.

• Like 1

Here are some games my 6yo son loves:

Flashpoint (its Pandemic but you are firefighters)

Tsuro

DoubleDouble Dominoes

Exploding Kittens (just got the game Friday from the kickstarter and we can't stop playing)

X-Wing Miniature Game (we play tested Imperial Assault at Gen Con last weekend and it was awesome, we will pick that up soon)

And when you are ready to try RPGs:

Hero Kids

Mouseguard

Also +1 to Cards against humanity - not for kiddos but certainly awsome.

• Like 1

The Reel Godfather, level 5 Ranger STR 10|DEX 7|STA 12|CON 12|WIS 8|CHA 6 My Respawn story

I love Tabletop games. 

The ones I've been playing lately are:

Sushi Go (an adorably designed card drafting game)

Exploding Kittens (kickstarted by Elan Lee, The Oatmeal and Shane Small) 

Dragon Slayer (a fun dice game, good for travelling - actually, all three of these are really good for travelling).

I also love Ticket to Ride (I've got the Europe version and I play the original on iOS) Settlers of Catan and the Pirates and Explorers expansion, and Takenoko. Plus, here in Melbourne there's a games library you can go to to play games. (Games Lab on Little Lonsdale. Also, there's a bar downstairs where you can take the games and drink.)

I also watch Tabletop by Geek and Sundry (as previously mentioned on this thread) as soon as it comes out, and it's usually where I get ideas for the next game I want to purchase. 

• Like 2

that girl writes

race: awesome/class: ranger

I post a lot on instagram

"You must do the thing you think you cannot do."

And when you are ready to try RPGs:

Hero Kids

Mouseguard

Also +1 to Cards against humanity - not for kiddos but certainly awsome.

I was just looking to pick up a kid friendly role playing game to incorporate into our family nights. Hero Kids seems to come highly recommended but I was also looking into Little Wizards. And as a huge fan of Petersen's Mouse Guard comicss I'm really considering picking up the second edition when it comes out, but I'm really not sure how kid friendly the rules are.

I love so many of the suggestions above. I will add one of my own. Black Fleet

A fun and very well crafted game. Case and point - the dubloons are actually made of metal.

Super fun to play.

And Pirate themed. AWESOME.

I had to look this one up, but it sounds like a lot of fun. And it looks like all of the components are super high quality. It's definitely been added to our wishlist. 

• Like 2

Level 5 Changeling Ranger

STR:13 | DEX:14  | STA:14  | CON: | WIS:10 | CHA:5

"Success is not final, failure is not fatal."

Current Challenge | 4 | 3 | 2 | 1

I was just looking to pick up a kid friendly role playing game to incorporate into our family nights. Hero Kids seems to come highly recommended but I was also looking into Little Wizards. And as a huge fan of Petersen's Mouse Guard I'm really considering picking up the second edition when it comes out, but I'm really not sure how kid friendly the rules are.

I had to look this one up, but it sounds like a lot of fun. And it looks like all of the components are super high quality. It's definitely been added to our wishlist. 

Really looking forward to Mouseguard Second Edition as well.  The current editon is not as easy as Hero Kids but the engine is not overly complicated and have heard good things about Second Edition. 

The Reel Godfather, level 5 Ranger STR 10|DEX 7|STA 12|CON 12|WIS 8|CHA 6 My Respawn story

Did Tabletop do an episode on Mice and Mystics? I'm going to have to look into this now, thanks!

yep yep. Last two episodes of this season are Mice and Mystics
  • Like 1

Half-Ork Scout Leader
Running PRs : 5K 24m16s | 10K 53m32s | 15K 1h18m09s | Half Marathon 2h1m44s | Marathon 4h42m2s 
Past Challenges #1 #2 #3 #4 #5 #6 #7 #8 #9 #10 #11 #12 #13  #14 #15 #16 #17 #18 #19 #20 #21 #22

Just watched the two part episode - and it looks like a good family game. It might even work better as an intro to role play games than a few of the other games I was looking into. 

It is really an RPG in a box.

Wil doesn't read ALL the box text in the book as there is box text for many of the tile flips.

Half-Ork Scout Leader