[ONGOING]10 Week YAYOG Ladder Challenge

I am going to do a weekly post, it will hold information that you should try to remember for the week. And some motivation!

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us." - J.R.R Tolkien

"Progress, not perfection."

"Persist, Pivot, or Concede." - Matthew McConaughey

"Today I will do what others won't, so tomorrow I can accomplish what others can't."

Rants, Thoughts, and Workouts-->Battle Log | The Improvening (Current Challenge)

Can't wait to get started....

Soon

• Like 2

Race: Amazonian Ogre Princess | Class: Ranger | Profession: SuperHero | Affiliation: Doodlie and Pancake for Life

Respawn Challenge Arcs: 2021 | 2022

I am not saying I am Wonder Woman. I am just saying no one has ever seen me and Wonder Woman together in the same room.

Original Spawn Challenges 2014 - 2020: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 789, 10, 11, 12 , 131415, 1617181920, 21, 2223242526272829303132, 33, 3435, 36??

Roadmaps: 2016 | 2017 | 2018 | 2019 | 2020

Starting weight = 290.4 (2014); Current weight = 241.2; Total pounds lost: 49.2

Week 1

So you have taken your first step. One foot is up on the ladder. Good for you!

You may be thinking "Ten weeks is a long time..." "I don't know if I can do this...". Get those thoughts out of your mind. I am going to tell you that 10 weeks is nothing when it comes to your health and changing your life. 10 weeks is short term! And you can do this, we are here to support and push you!

Check list for Basic program

I highly suggest you have these things picked out. These are things you will need week 1, and making sure you have something for each exercise will mean you can jump right in.

1. An elevated platform for incline push ups. The book suggests something at about knee height. If this is too much you can increase the elevation.
  2. Something to do let-me-ins (body-weight rows). A STURDY door with a good door knob will work, but if you weigh a bit or are worried about the door find a fence post or something to use instead.
  3. Chairs for seated dips (chairs are also good for elevated platform for push ups.)
  4. Something for let-me-ups (inverted rows). This can prove to be difficult to find. A sturdy broom handle across two chairs will work. 
  5. Someway to keep time for your workout. I highly suggest purchasing the YAYOG app. It is worth the investment!

What you need to know about week 1

Week 1 exercises are done as ladders. This means that the focus of these workouts is not to go until exhaustion. Instead you are going for high repetition/low intensity workout's. This doesn't mean you wont be feeling it though. The purpose of the ladder is to get your body used to performing the designated exercise CORRECTLY. The exercises you do now will be the building blocks for the rest of the program.

How do I do a ladder workout?

A ladder workout starts at 1 rep of the exercise. You then take a break equal to the amount of time it took you to complete that repetition. Then you move to 2, then 3, etc. So as you do more reps you get longer breaks afterwards. You keep going up until you know that the next set of reps would cause muscle failure (ex: You manage to do incline push ups, but you barely finished the tenth rep and don't think you could do 11). You then proceed to go back down the ladder, applying the same rep to rest ratio as before. Then when you reach the bottom you go back up (if time allows). You do the ladders for 7 minutes 30 seconds.

MOTIVATION

This is your time, to accomplish something you've never accomplished before.

He started out with the basics, look where he is now.

6qkxz.jpg

• Like 5

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us." - J.R.R Tolkien

"Today I will do what others won't, so tomorrow I can accomplish what others can't."

Rants, Thoughts, and Workouts-->Battle Log | The Improvening (Current Challenge)

Now you need to find a vid of a women doing something like that :tongue: Because while I don't want to be that cut, I DO want to be able to do stuff like that.

How about his girlfriend?

He's so cut because he follows an extremely strict diet plan. That takes a long time to reach, don't worry about it. It isn't something that happens overnight.

• Like 4

I got setup on MFP and added you all as friends.

Being on MFP is helping me focus already! (I really need to add more protein and learn some new recipes...)

Looking forward to the big start on Monday!

• Like 3

All men dream, but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds, wake in the day to find that it was vanity:

but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act on their dreams with open eyes, to make them possible.

~T. E. Lawrence

When we contemplate the whole globe as one great dewdrop, striped and dotted with continents and islands,

flying through space with other stars all singing and shining together as one, the whole universe appears as an infinite storm of beauty. 
~John Muir

I got setup on MFP and added you all as friends.

Being on MFP is helping me focus already! (I really need to add more protein and learn some new recipes...)

Looking forward to the big start on Monday!

Awesome I will check and add you.

I just finished putting sticky notes up on my wall. I am going to call it something epic... It's basically a wall of goals, but I don't know what to call it...

Just a suggestion for everyone using my fitness pal. When looking for an item you ate and can't find it, use your best judgement for what's there. Always try to log more than you actually ate in these circumstances (within reason of course).

Example: I eat garlic bread at work that we make. So there's no nutrition info. I found some comparable things on mfp, and pick the one that's in the upper middle calorie wise. I'm nearly 100% sure that our bread isn't as bad as the one I use for logging. But it's better safe than sorry.

• Like 1

Only a few more days, is everyone prepared!?!?

Something for let-me-ups (inverted rows). This can prove to be difficult to find. A sturdy broom handle across two chairs will work. 

Just realized I'm not prepared.... forgot about the rows. Guess I'll need to walk to Wal-mart and get a broom or something o.0

Assassin

Battle Log | MFP: Amdhiel
Challenges: Current#7#6, #5, #4,
#3, #2, #1

"Why do we fall sir? So that we can learn to pick ourselves up." Alfred - Batman Begins

Welcome everybody to the challenge

If you are night the. A broom may not work, I use a crowbar, don't know what you guys call a crowbar, tied to two chairs for my let me ups

Corey has said it but it's worth repeating, get your form right in the first few weeks, don't worry too much about reps, seriously, and I know it's hard because pride kicks in. But if you sacrifice form for reps now then as the workout ramps up you will struggle.

For the ladders the app only goes up to 4 reps, for many this I'll be enough so the reps go 1, 2, 3, 4, 3, 2, 1, 2, 3 etc. for anyone that finds this too easy and know they have perfect form then I would suggest going for slower reps rather than more reps, you will see a higher strength gain.

If you have the app you don't "need" the book, although the book does have a lot of peripheral info you will find useful , if you have the book I would suggest the app for £1.99 it is well worth the investment, it does a good job of tracking your timing.

Whilst it might seem easy I would recommend warming up and cooling down. 7.5 minutes is a long time to be doing incline push ups even if you are the boss of them.

The fact that you put month then day freaks me out, I never know when the heck you're talking about ;-)

And you guys are going to do great, only one more day hurray

• Like 5

How about his girlfriend?

He's so cut because he follows an extremely strict diet plan. That takes a long time to reach, don't worry about it. It isn't something that happens overnight.
Holy moley. I think I just found my new idol. I want to be her. What I liked beet was that she didn't look like a bodybuilder, nor was she some skinny twig. She looked normal and healthy. That's what I want.
  • Like 2

I'm so excited. Bought the book then realized there was an app! Doh!! So, now I have both. I'm excited, because I'm heading to Alaska in two weeks, and now I don't have to worry about finding a way to work out. Plus, I'll have free time while the hubby is at work to work out and the jeans to do so. I'm psyched. Bring it!!!

Does that mean you want to participate in the challenge? 

• Like 1

Well I picked up a perfect pull-up bar at a sporting good store. I'm pretty sure it will work for let-me-ups just need to test it out which i'll do soon. Can't wait for tomorrow!

I just found pull up bars on the school track I plan to start running on, so it's looking like I'll have a perfect setup soon too! :panda:

• Like 2

Level 2 - Wood Elf - Ranger 

STR : 2 | DEX : 2 | STA : 5 | CON : 3 | WIS : 3 | CHA : 2

Challenges: #1, Current - #2

My Triathlon Training Logs: #1, #2

Yes, please! I posted on ItsDaniel's thread, but it was just today. If you have room for me, I want in. I'll post my bio when I hear back from you.

We have plenty of room its an open challenge. Welcome.

• Like 1

Well I picked up a perfect pull-up bar at a sporting good store. I'm pretty sure it will work for let-me-ups just need to test it out which i'll do soon. Can't wait for tomorrow!

Amdhiel & Ryoko, if you have time, could you post a picture of the pull up bar?

I'm thinking to get one, too, but not sure which is best to get...

cn3wton, how do we report our progress?

.: d3li9ht :.

Level 2 Aspiring Assassin

[ STR 3.3 ][ DEX 2.9 ][ STA 4 ][ CON 3.2 ][ WIS 4 ][ CHA 2 ]

Challenges:  #0.5  |  #1.5  |  #3 CURRENT  |  YAYOG PVP (W5D3)  

The Awesome Colorful Spreadsheets 

Here it is, the first day of an ongoing challenge!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=so0qslHYJpw

If you have any questions feel free to ask, we are here to help. Keep spreading the word about the group. Anyone can join at any time!

• Like 3

It's 100% up to you. The minimum is telling me when you complete the 4th workout for the week. But you can post as much/little as you want other than that.

Amdhiel & Ryoko, if you have time, could you post a picture of the pull up bar?

I'm thinking to get one, too, but not sure which is best to get...

Hey d3li9ht, this is what I bought Pull-up bar. I'm going to only use part of it for rows and put it between two tables.

Assassin

Battle Log | MFP: Amdhiel
Challenges: Current#7#6, #5, #4,
#3, #2, #1

"Why do we fall sir? So that we can learn to pick ourselves up." Alfred - Batman Begins

If anyone is looking for a warm up to do before the exercises check these out. I pulled this from before the TMNT workout here on NF.

Neck rolls: 5 each direction.
Shoulder shrugs: 5 each direction
Arm circles: 10 each direction
Wrist Circles: 10 each direction
Bends at the waist and touching the ground: 10 reps
Hip circles (like you are hula hooping): 10 each direction
Forward leg swings: 10 each leg
Side leg swings: 10 each leg
Bodyweight Squats: 10 reps
Cossack Squats: 10 reps to each side

• Like 2