Forums are back in action! ×

Hi Everyone!  I stumbled across this forum last week and having a bit of a nerdish background (comics, star wars, star trek (original and TNG), anime & manga, Monty Python and a few other things here and there... oh and I'm a Librarian/Archivist) I thought this would be a bit more fun than hanging with the bros over at Bodybuilding.com.  

I've been working out on and off since I was 13, having admired the physiques popularized in the early 1990s Marvel and Image comics.  20 years later and I'm probably the most consistent I've ever been in my lifting.  I prefer going heavy and I have the ultimate goal of hitting a 400lb bench, 500lb squat and a 600lb deadlift.  My current maxes are... close-ish.  I'll probably hit the squat first and the deadlift next.  Bench will happen when it happens!  lol  

I have just started competing in powerlifting and I have been throwing in highland games heavy events since 2010 --  you know, wear a kilt and throw a tree, a rock, a burlap sack full of twine, etc.

Hope to meet some cool folks and get hella inspired!  

Cheers!  

• Like 3
On 8/27/2017 at 1:12 PM, SeanP said:

you know, wear a kilt and throw a tree, a rock, a burlap sack full of twine, etc.

Oh yeah........... we're good. 

Welcome! :D Looking forward to hearing about your training

giphy.gif

5 hours ago, Laghail said:

Hey @SeanP, welcome to the rebellion. Lot of lifting and geek stuff goes down here, you should fit in just fine. What program are you running these days?

Hey!  Thanks for the welcome!  My program is in a state of flux right now.  Looking for a decent peaking schedule that doesn't kill me on volume/nail me on my outrageously disproportionately high Squat 1RM (compared to what I can('t) grind out for reps -- i.e., I can hit 450plus for 1 any day of the week, but struggle to hit 10 reps at 315).  

For contrast I recently benched 320 for 5 reps and in early July deadlifted 375 for 15 reps.  Squats just kill me for some reason and every % based program I come across makes me do more weight at higher reps than I am basically capable of.    

I found a good looking 'Ed Coan' 10 week peaking phase that seems to fit what my body is capable of.  I may give that a try... starts out ridiculously light, but should work out to some new 1RMs in all my lifts.  It features very a very manageable set volume for me.  As far as I can tell, it's based on a lot of broscience, but that's what seems to work for me for the most part.    

I was doing one of Greg Nuckols free intermediate programs, but again, the squat volume was impossible for me to complete.  

Also, I have a crappy right leg/knee combo... my joint is crooked and I have an old impact injury.  So maybe I'm just disadvantaged from the get go for squatting?? 

I have also had decent success running 5/3/1 but find it somewhat unsustainable.  

1 hour ago, RedStone said:

Oh yeah........... we're good. 

Welcome! :D Looking forward to hearing about your training

giphy.gif

Yay!!!! Conrad Poohs!!!  One of my favs!  

16 hours ago, SeanP said:

Hey!  Thanks for the welcome!  My program is in a state of flux right now.  Looking for a decent peaking schedule that doesn't kill me on volume/nail me on my outrageously disproportionately high Squat 1RM (compared to what I can('t) grind out for reps -- i.e., I can hit 450plus for 1 any day of the week, but struggle to hit 10 reps at 315).  

For contrast I recently benched 320 for 5 reps and in early July deadlifted 375 for 15 reps.  Squats just kill me for some reason and every % based program I come across makes me do more weight at higher reps than I am basically capable of.    

I found a good looking 'Ed Coan' 10 week peaking phase that seems to fit what my body is capable of.  I may give that a try... starts out ridiculously light, but should work out to some new 1RMs in all my lifts.  It features very a very manageable set volume for me.  As far as I can tell, it's based on a lot of broscience, but that's what seems to work for me for the most part.    

I was doing one of Greg Nuckols free intermediate programs, but again, the squat volume was impossible for me to complete.  

Also, I have a crappy right leg/knee combo... my joint is crooked and I have an old impact injury.  So maybe I'm just disadvantaged from the get go for squatting?? 

I have also had decent success running 5/3/1 but find it somewhat unsustainable.  

Impressive numbers all around, but agreed, volume is the worst. Where's your fail point on high reps squats normally? I think my posture turns into squat-goodmornings when I'm passing my limit and my low back throws the brakes on the whole thing. In any case, share the love on the Coan program. I'm running 531 again through October, and I'll be program shopping if I don't make my target numbers. Because that's how a mature person like me deals with slower progress than I want, blame the program, not any unrealistic goals. No sir.

Image result for innocent whistling gif

• Like 2

Level 38 [Raveling Bard]

22 hours ago, Laghail said:

Impressive numbers all around, but agreed, volume is the worst. Where's your fail point on high reps squats normally? I think my posture turns into squat-goodmornings when I'm passing my limit and my low back throws the brakes on the whole thing. In any case, share the love on the Coan program. I'm running 531 again through October, and I'll be program shopping if I don't make my target numbers. Because that's how a mature person like me deals with slower progress than I want, blame the program, not any unrealistic goals. No sir.

Image result for innocent whistling gif

My fail point is generally in the transition phase just above parallel... like everyone.  And, yes the goodmorning squat is real and alive in my squat rack.  Something fatiques and the form crashes hard.  But Layne Norton does them as a regular thing, so I guess they can't be that bad... though from what I hear the lift he gets red lighted on most is squats! 

I noticed at my powerlifting meet that the judge on my right side (my crappy leg) red lighted every lift, but the front and left side were whites (which is all I need to be good, thank god!).  But I'm going to have to do some videos of my squats on that side and see maybe where things may not look as deep as they feel.  I do know that my right leg is a little shorter than my left.  If I use my left side as my trigger to know I've hit depth, then the right may not be deep enough.  Dunno.

Also, my right leg isn't as Quasimodo as I'm making it sound.  Sorry to disappoint those looking for a horror show when I finally post some vids! 

PS - It's always the programs fault!!!!

• Like 1