Forums are back in action! ×

What's everyone reading?

Just finished Fahrenheit 451 and loved every page of it. I'm generally disappointed that the people that I've spoken to seem to only associate "It might be about censorship" whenever they read/hear about it. Maybe because when people are required to read it in high school the first thing teachers shove down their throats is 'WE WILL ONLY ACCEPT PAPERS ABOUT CENSORSHIP. DON'T YOU DARE TRY TO GET SOMETHING ELSE FROM THIS NOVEL!!'.

Mini-rant aside, I'm now trying to decide whether to start a new book (Frankenstein) now or to wait until I finish So Long and Thanks for All the Fish.

• Like 2

Just finished Fahrenheit 451 and loved every page of it. I'm generally disappointed that the people that I've spoken to seem to only associate "It might be about censorship" whenever they read/hear about it. Maybe because when people are required to read it in high school the first thing teachers shove down their throats is 'WE WILL ONLY ACCEPT PAPERS ABOUT CENSORSHIP. DON'T YOU DARE TRY TO GET SOMETHING ELSE FROM THIS NOVEL!!'.

Mini-rant aside, I'm now trying to decide whether to start a new book (Frankenstein) now or to wait until I finish So Long and Thanks for All the Fish.

Start Frankenstein! It's literally the best book I've ever read.
  • Like 1

BAREFOOT DAWSY

Scout Commander (ret.)

oh, Frankenstein is good, but so is Douglas Adams… though choice… I'm gonna vote for frankie, even if that will ruin 99% of the movies/tv appearances of the monster for you. I also enjoyed it a lot.

• Like 3

"Unfocused" Wizard // Rationalist of the order of Bayes

Lvl 5 Assassin. Lvl 33 Jack of all trades. 7 STR|6 DEX|7 STA|7 CON|16 WIS|8 CHA

Current challenge Wizard in the making: ero san's continuing road of magic

My drawings Sketchbook, Other afiliations The Loft

Frankenstein is good, but you'll burn through Douglas Adams and then get random giggle fits from its absurdness. 

I really like listening to audiobooks when I'm working on CAD-heavy projects. Yesterday morning I listened to the end the Divergent trilogy with Allegient, and I'm still not sure how I feel about it. 

Also open in various parts of my house right now: The Empire Striketh Back (a hilarious Shakesperian retelling of "Episode the Fifth"), and Alvin Journeyman by Orson Scott Card.

• Like 1

We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit. -Aristotle

Arian, arian, zehetzen da burnia. -Basque proverb

Frisian Shieldmaiden level 12 (STR:16) (DEX:16) (STA:23) (CON:22) (WIS:17) (CHA:15)

Challenges: 11/12.14 - 1/2.15 - 2/3.15 - 15.4/5 - 15.6/7 - 15.7/9 - 16.1 - 16.3 - 16.4 - 16.5 - 16.10 - 16.11 - 16.12 - 17.1 - 17.2

2017 Goals: Maintain BW BS, 100kg DL - Muscle Up - 1/2 Marathon Condition - Abs

Mini-rant aside, I'm now trying to decide whether to start a new book (Frankenstein) now or to wait until I finish So Long and Thanks for All the Fish.

Start Frankenstein! It's literally the best book I've ever read.

oh, Frankenstein is good, but so is Douglas Adams… though choice… I'm gonna vote for frankie, even if that will ruin 99% of the movies/tv appearances of the monster for you. I also enjoyed it a lot.

I second (third?) Frankenstein.

I'm 3/4 through On the Road right now. Not sure what's next.

I'm no longer an active member here. Please keep in touch:
“There's only one rule that I know of, babies—God damn it, you've got to be kind.”

Currently I'm reading (i read multiple things at once):

-Kodiak's Claim by Eve Langlais. This is a fun parnaormal romance about a bear shfiter in Alaska

-A Feast For Crows (a Song of Ice and Fire Part 4): I think everyone knows what this is

-Love Only Once (Malory-Anderson Family book 1) by Johanna Lindsey- this is an older romance with a clinch cover featuring Fabio.

Before you ask, yes I am a guy and yes I read romance. I also write it under a female pen name.

• Like 2

okay, nerds. what's next?

So. just finished Kerouac's On the Road, which I did enjoy, but was overall disappointed with - maybe because there is so much hype around it and people have told me that I would love it for years. 

So what's next? Recommendations? I've got a bunch of stuff on my kindle I want to re-read, but always looking for something new :)

“There's only one rule that I know of, babies—God damn it, you've got to be kind.”

Read I am Malala by Malala Yousafzai and Christina Lamb, and The Thirteenth Tale by Diane Setterfield, now reading Eleanor the Queen by Norah Lofts (a novel of Eleanor of Aquitaine).

Damaramu, love that you'll admit it... if I don't post on this thread, it's probably because I've gone off on a bender of reading romance and don't want to admit it! [emoji14]

• Like 1

Current Challenge #39 - 15.02.23  |  Challenges: #38, #29  |  Fitocracy: redtomato501

okay, nerds. So what's next? Recommendations? I've got a bunch of stuff on my kindle I want to re-read, but always looking for something new :)

Well... what are you looking for? [emoji14] Without any idea what you like, some things I've enjoyed have been:

Sophie's World | The Solitaire Mystery by Jostein Garden

The Idiot by Fyodor Dostoyevsky

Galileo's Daughter by Dava Sobel

Sebastian | Belladonna | Bridge of Dreams by Anne Bishop

Palace Walk | Sugar Street | Palace of Desires by Naguib Mahfouz

Special Topics in Calamity Physics by Marsha Pessl

Blue Like Jazz by Donald Miller

In the Kitchen with a Good Appetite by Melissa Clark

The Thirteenth Tale by Diane Setterfield

I Shall Be Near to You by Erin Lindsay McCabe

Dead Famous by Carol O'Connell

Cartwheel by Jennifer Dubois

City of the Falling Sky | The Trinity Awakening by Joseph Evans

Out of the Easy by Ruta Septys

The Storied Life of AJ Fikry by Gabrielle Zivan

The Broken Lands by Kate Milford

Taste What You're Missing by Barb Stuckey

Tehran at Twilight by Salar Abdoh

The Coffee Trade by David Liss

The Magicians by Lev Grossman

The Sparrow by May Doria Russell

Delve Magic (1, 2 and 3) by Jeff Inlo

Dodger by Terry Pratchett

Rooftops of Tehran by Mahbod Seraji

Current Challenge #39 - 15.02.23  |  Challenges: #38, #29  |  Fitocracy: redtomato501

I just finished Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell by Susanna Clarke. I would say that it was good, but it dragged on.

Now, I started a book from a local DC publisher called "Dating" as Told by the Modern Whore by a local author. I am kind of excited about it. I got it when I went to the Virginia Book Festival. :D

• Like 1

One of the greatest discoveries man makes, one of the greatest surprises, is to find he can do what he was afraid he couldn't do. -- Henry Ford

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. -- Groucho Marx

Battle Chronicles of Sacculina

Sacculina's Wordpress

So. just finished Kerouac's On the Road, which I did enjoy, but was overall disappointed with - maybe because there is so much hype around it and people have told me that I would love it for years. 

So what's next? Recommendations? I've got a bunch of stuff on my kindle I want to re-read, but always looking for something new :)

Any particular genre you want to dip into? Do you want a new series or just a single book? 

Series

Dresden Files - Jim Butcher

Monster Hunter International - Larry Correia

Joe Ledger series - Jonathan Maberry

Rot & Ruin series - Jonathan Maberry

The Elenium and The Tamuli - David Eddings 

Star War Republic Commandos - Karen Traviss

Wool - Hugh Howey

Singles

Ready Player One - Ernest Cline

World War Z - Max Brooks

Neverwhere - Neil Gaiman

Thief of Always - Clive Barker 

• Like 2

Half-Ork Scout Leader
Running PRs : 5K 24m16s | 10K 53m32s | 15K 1h18m09s | Half Marathon 2h1m44s | Marathon 4h42m2s 
Past Challenges #1 #2 #3 #4 #5 #6 #7 #8 #9 #10 #11 #12 #13  #14 #15 #16 #17 #18 #19 #20 #21 #22
                               #23 #24 #25 #26 #27 #28 #29 #30 #31 #32 #33 #34 #35 #36 #37 #38 #39 #40
Current Challenge Don't Call It A Comeback

I'm reading 22.11.63 by Stephen King right now...it's exceptional.

BAREFOOT DAWSY

Scout Commander (ret.)

Well... what are you looking for? [emoji14] Without any idea what you like, some things I've enjoyed have been:

Sophie's World | The Solitaire Mystery by Jostein Garden

The Idiot by Fyodor Dostoyevsky

Galileo's Daughter by Dava Sobel

Sebastian | Belladonna | Bridge of Dreams by Anne Bishop

Palace Walk | Sugar Street | Palace of Desires by Naguib Mahfouz

Special Topics in Calamity Physics by Marsha Pessl

Blue Like Jazz by Donald Miller

In the Kitchen with a Good Appetite by Melissa Clark

The Thirteenth Tale by Diane Setterfield

I Shall Be Near to You by Erin Lindsay McCabe

Dead Famous by Carol O'Connell

Cartwheel by Jennifer Dubois

City of the Falling Sky | The Trinity Awakening by Joseph Evans

Out of the Easy by Ruta Septys

The Storied Life of AJ Fikry by Gabrielle Zivan

The Broken Lands by Kate Milford

Taste What You're Missing by Barb Stuckey

Tehran at Twilight by Salar Abdoh

The Coffee Trade by David Liss

The Magicians by Lev Grossman

The Sparrow by May Doria Russell

Delve Magic (1, 2 and 3) by Jeff Inlo

Dodger by Terry Pratchett

Rooftops of Tehran by Mahbod Seraji

Any particular genre you want to dip into? Do you want a new series or just a single book? 

Series

Dresden Files - Jim Butcher

Monster Hunter International - Larry Correia

Joe Ledger series - Jonathan Maberry

Rot & Ruin series - Jonathan Maberry

The Elenium and The Tamuli - David Eddings 

Star War Republic Commandos - Karen Traviss

Wool - Hugh Howey

Singles

Ready Player One - Ernest Cline

World War Z - Max Brooks

Neverwhere - Neil Gaiman

Thief of Always - Clive Barker 

I'm reading 22.11.63 by Stephen King right now...it's exceptional.

I am going to have to add all of these to my read list :)

I chose a Kesey (One Flew) - which I read in HS and loved, and figured it was a good transition from a beat writer. :)

Wool - Hugh Howey

I read these awhile back. Very interesting premise.

• Like 1

Did I offer advice in my post?  Please keep the following in mind:

• I am not a doctor nor any other kind of medical professional.
  • I am not a lawyer.
  • I am not a mental health provider
  • I am not a nutritionist
  • Your mileage may vary
  • I don't do anything in moderation
  • I have lots of injuries & if you train like me, you probably will too.

How funny I was just going to suggest that :)

Have any suggestions based off of that? I'm already almost done, enjoying it that much.

Spezzy: a short, fun read you might enjoy is "Young Adult Novel" by Daniel Pinkwater.  It's a sendup of all the Deep! Meaningful! books in the YA genre, and also a good introduction to Dadaism and Pop Art.  The plot: the four members of the Wild Dada Ducks, high school students dedicated to the promotion of Dada art and the eventual dominion of the common household appliance, spend their spare time making up stories about a certain Kevin Shapiro.  Everything happens to poor Kevin: he becomes a junkie, he falls in love with another boy, he gets pregnant...  He gets killed off multiple times (sorta like Kenny in South Park) but he always comes back. Then there's the pranks: post-modernist theater in the cafeteria, replacing the school's athletic trophies with a toilet bowl, passing around cards saying that the principal does not exist, stuff like that.

Then an actual Kevin Shapiro shows up at their school, and that's where things get interesting...

• Like 1

"If you get into trouble, you can always eat something, blow something up, or throw penguins." - Jim Henson

Have you read The Electric Koolaid Acid Test?

Otherwise I think some Vonnegut might slot in nicely. Slaughter house 5 perhaps?

I don't know. I don't like that book at all.

post-335-14273023671346_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Spezzy: a short, fun read you might enjoy is "Young Adult Novel" by Daniel Pinkwater. It's a sendup of all the Deep! Meaningful! books in the YA genre, and also a good introduction to Dadaism and Pop Art. The plot: the four members of the Wild Dada Ducks, high school students dedicated to the promotion of Dada art and the eventual dominion of the common household appliance, spend their spare time making up stories about a certain Kevin Shapiro. Everything happens to poor Kevin: he becomes a junkie, he falls in love with another boy, he gets pregnant... He gets killed off multiple times (sorta like Kenny in South Park) but he always comes back. Then there's the pranks: post-modernist theater in the cafeteria, replacing the school's athletic trophies with a toilet bowl, passing around cards saying that the principal does not exist, stuff like that.

Then an actual Kevin Shapiro shows up at their school, and that's where things get interesting...

Omg. A quick google search has me even more intrigued:post-335-14273025814128_thumb.jpg