Forums are back in action! ×

March 25th June 10th, 2024: Weight Loss PVP: 10 or 12 lbs in 10 or 12 Weeks!

3 hours ago, Snarkyfishguts said:

How do you deal with stress? I'm struggling in this department. I handle situations pretty well, and I am getting better about talking about my thoughts and feelings to family, but I'm still stressed out a lot. Is this something that requires practice, you think? Like practicing letting go of the "AUGH!"  

from an eating point of view, i find pausing and asking myself if I'm actually hungry or if I'm picking (chocolate etc) because I'm bored/stressed/etc.  i usually look at stress eating a bit like that saying about worry. Worrying about things doesn't make things better it just makes you feel worse in the short term. (Id like to preface this by saying worry can be constructive. But i personally tend to get stuck on things that worry me and then go into spirals of stressing endlessly. Not very constructive).

short term junk food feels good but i tend to then feel worse afterward, not just because i feel like im sabotaging my weight loss goals, but becuase its not really food that loves you back (as Harriet put it). If you can find a healthy alternative try that (blueberries are my go to).  But its worth asking yourself if your eating it just to give yourself something to do or as a distraction. 

Personally i find a good stomp (eg. A hard walk) a much better tonic for stress. Yoga also works well. Anything that gets you out of your head and into your body. 
other suggestions that may work for you

meditation

reading

swimming

Tai chi/chi gung (so probubly any martial art is a good option)

yelling into the void (very cathartic if you can find an empty space to do it in). 
writing all the stuff thats going round in your head down (i like to burn the page after. Find it helps)

connecting with nature. 
listening to music with the volume turned up. (Highly recommend singing at the top of your voice to hendrix.) i actually have a small collection of albums i always go to when I'm in a bad mood. I like to think of this as my f*** it all playlist. 
stress baking (highly recommend kneading bread whilst angry)

I also hear a good hard run or work out also helps. but there are lots of other options out there. What will work for you is very individual so trying some things is definitely the way to go. 

hope some of this is helpful or at least constructive. Hang in there dude.

• Like 3

the creative spelling comes as standard. Enjoy! 
A journey of thousand miles, begins with a single step - Lao Tzu

Challenge: #1#2#3#4#5#6#7#8

3/25: 172.5

4/1: 172.4

Not a whole lot down, but given I wasn't really trying, had a last-minute business trip (seriously, booked Tuesday afternoon left Wednesday morning), and Easter in there, I'm pretty happy with that. I was afraid everything was going to be way up, so any down is great. Hopefully I can get some sort of plan together, and can also manage to make it one that I can stick to with the added crazy of getting things ready for having a bunch of people over for the eclipse...

• Like 4

Wood Elf Waywatcher Mandalorian (Assassin/Ranger hybrid)

Starting weight 261.2

W1 4/1: 258.0 (-3.2)

OK, now we're getting somewhere.  Finally busted the plateau and dropped back into the 250's.  It's been awhile.  It's exciting to see the scale move so rapidly but I know it's not sustainable.  Struggling a bit still with stalling again over the weekend.  Saturday's weigh in was another half pound lower than Monday's official weigh in and not really clear why I stalled.  Well, Saturday's choices were under budget but poor on quality but I was right back to it on Sunday only to see a gain.  All I can do right now is be thankful for the plateau busting week and stick to my new goals and see how this week pans out.  I do have a dinner out planned midweek. 

• Like 6

Race: Amazonian Ogre Princess | Class: Ranger | Profession: SuperHero | Affiliation: Doodlie and Pancake for Life

Respawn Challenge Arcs: 2021 | 2022

I am not saying I am Wonder Woman. I am just saying no one has ever seen me and Wonder Woman together in the same room.

Original Spawn Challenges 2014 - 2020: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 789, 10, 11, 12 , 131415, 1617181920, 21, 2223242526272829303132, 33, 3435, 36??

Roadmaps: 2016 | 2017 | 2018 | 2019 | 2020

Starting weight = 290.4 (2014); Current weight = 241.2; Total pounds lost: 49.2

2 hours ago, Jarric said:

If you mean how do you deal with stress in general, that's harder! Short of resolving the stressful situation, there's a whole raft of stress management techniques out there but what works is pretty specific to the person and situation.

This actually helps a bit. I think I'm just going to try a bunch of stuff maybe start with Sea-To-sky's list. Thank you!

2 hours ago, Sea-to-sky said:

Personally i find a good stomp (eg. A hard walk) a much better tonic for stress. Yoga also works well. Anything that gets you out of your head and into your body. 
other suggestions that may work for you

meditation

reading

swimming

Tai chi/chi gung (so probubly any martial art is a good option)

yelling into the void (very cathartic if you can find an empty space to do it in). 
writing all the stuff thats going round in your head down (i like to burn the page after. Find it helps)

connecting with nature. 
listening to music with the volume turned up. (Highly recommend singing at the top of your voice to hendrix.) i actually have a small collection of albums i always go to when I'm in a bad mood. I like to think of this as my f*** it all playlist. 
stress baking (highly recommend kneading bread whilst angry)

I also hear a good hard run or work out also helps. but there are lots of other options out there. What will work for you is very individual so trying some things is definitely the way to go. 

hope some of this is helpful or at least constructive. Hang in there dude.

This is super helpful! It's helping me realize there's really no clear way to relieve stress. I'm going to try a bunch of stuff and see what sticks! Wait, I just said that. Still true though. Thank you!

• Like 4

Mar 26 - 175.2

Apr 01  - 174.4 (-0.8)

Had a good first week of the challenge. I also noticed two (jeans-related) NSVs this weekend: the jeans I've been wearing started to feel a little loose when I was walking around with the kids on Friday; I kept having to hike them back up onto my waist. And on Sunday, the weather was beautiful, so I pulled some cropped/summer-y jeans out of storage to try on and was pleased that they all fit well! I remember a few of them were pretty tight last September (I'd basically switched to only wearing dresses), so I'm happy to actually be able to wear those pants this summer. Also it was just nice to just try on a clothes and make decisions based on look instead of fit. 

• Like 4

Level 19 Ravenclaw Rebel

Fairy tales do not start, nor do they end, in the dark forest (Ted Lasso)
COMPLETED CHALLENGES: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 13.5 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21/21

CURRENT CHALLENGE: Mindful Magic

22 minutes ago, Snarkyfishguts said:

This is super helpful! It's helping me realize there's really no clear way to relieve stress. I'm going to try a bunch of stuff and see what sticks! Wait, I just said that. Still true though. Thank you!

Glad it was positive ?. There’s no right or wrong answers to this though. Just have to try things til you find what works for you. 
for some people its making art and for others its having a hard run. All valid options. 
when i was growing up one of my fathers go to’s was indoor squash (i think they call it racketball in america?). My grandmothers was gardening. Whatever you enjoy and gets you out of your headspace is worth trying. 

• Like 3

Starting weight: 268.0 lbs

03/25: 265.8 lbs

04/01: 265.8 lbs

No change! I'm totally okay with that considering I are a pile of wheat based waffles yesterday as a treat. Hopefully if I can keep it dialled in I will see some movement this week! 

• Like 3

Past Challenges: #1, #2#3#4#5#6#7#8#9#10#11#12#13#14#15#16

Current Challenge: #17

“Finish each day and be done with it. You have done what you could. Some blunders and absurdities no doubt crept in; forget them as soon as you can. Tomorrow is a new day. You shall begin it serenely and with too high a spirit to be encumbered with your old nonsense.” Ralph Waldo Emerson

15/03: 94.65 kg / 208.7 lbs

22/03: 94.15 kg / 207.6 lbs

29/03: 94.20 kg / 207.7 lbs (+0.05 / +0.1)

Status quo. I'm ok with this.

This coming week is a vacation week, with lots of family stuff and an overabundance of chocolate in the house, so it's probably going to be a disaster.

I do best in routine work weeks... ?

• Like 6

TimovieMan: funnier than you think he is; not as funny as he thinks he is...

Active challenges: Don't log, remain sensible | Walk to Mordor - (spreadsheet) | DailyDare | Weight Loss PVP 10/12 lbs in 10/12 weeks - (spreadsheet)

Old threads: Battle log | Challenge I | IIIIIIV | V | VI | VII | VIII | IX | X | XI | XII | XIII | XIV | XV | XVI | XVII | XVIII | XIX | XX | XXI | XXII | XXIII

Starting weight- 239.25lb

26/3 - 240.75lb
2/4 - 240.25lb

not much movement. But that isnt really unexpected this week. Might weight again in a few days and see if its different. 

Screwed my cals a bit this week as well, easter is not ideally timed for me this year ?. Craving chocolate whilst there is chocolate everywhere is a horrible combo. 

• Like 5

I decided to follow y'all's advice and try to some more relaxing things. My favorite things I've tried so far are a Rodney Yee yoga DVD, practicing the piano, and cleaning out closets. :) My blood pressure dropped about 7 points from the beginning of the week, so I'm going to keep going with this. Thanks everyone!! :D 

• Like 2
  • That's Metal 4

2 hours ago, Snarkyfishguts said:

I decided to follow y'all's advice and try to some more relaxing things. My favorite things I've tried so far are a Rodney Yee yoga DVD, practicing the piano, and cleaning out closets. :) My blood pressure dropped about 7 points from the beginning of the week, so I'm going to keep going with this. Thanks everyone!! :D 

So glad to hear its going well ?

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Snarkyfishguts said:

I have additional closets that could use attention if you run out. ;) 

Seriously though, so glad to hear that the relaxing plan is panning out. ❤️ 

• Haha 2

“Finish each day and be done with it. You have done what you could. Some blunders and absurdities no doubt crept in; forget them as soon as you can. Tomorrow is a new day. You shall begin it serenely and with too high a spirit to be encumbered with your old nonsense.” Ralph Waldo Emerson

04/01: 265.8 lbs

04/08: 262.8 lbs

I did an InBody scan yesterday as part of introducing a coworker to the service and was a new low weight even with my clothes on (the above weight was with the clothes, I was 261.4 in the buff on my home scale just 20 minutes before). I am going to use it as my weigh in for this week and be excited about it. My inflammation is now tied for the lowest it has been since I started recording which is a huge win and I am now solidly in the “normal” category according to their metrics which makes me very happy. The adventure with minimizing wheat continues fairly well, with only two conscious decisions to have some in the past ~2 weeks. I need to do some thinking about what carbs I want to replace with because I am not getting enough fibre, but that should be manageable with some forethought and prep. 

Hope you are all winning! ❤️ 

• Like 6

6 hours ago, Sovalis said:

My inflammation is now tied for the lowest it has been since I started recording which is a huge win and I am now solidly in the “normal” category according to their metrics which makes me very happy.

This is FANTASTIC. I'm so glad your inflammation is low! Also, congrats on the weight loss!

• Thanks 1

On 4/6/2024 at 11:06 AM, Sovalis said:

04/01: 265.8 lbs

04/08: 262.8 lbs

I did an InBody scan yesterday as part of introducing a coworker to the service and was a new low weight even with my clothes on (the above weight was with the clothes, I was 261.4 in the buff on my home scale just 20 minutes before). I am going to use it as my weigh in for this week and be excited about it. My inflammation is now tied for the lowest it has been since I started recording which is a huge win and I am now solidly in the “normal” category according to their metrics which makes me very happy.

Awesome news!  You must feel a whole lot better too with less inflammation! 

1 hour ago, Snarkyfishguts said:

3/25- 229

4/1- 227

4/8-230

so much salty food!! I’ve had a lot of restaurant meals last week. Good food and good company! Not even bananas could keep up with the bloat last week, so this number should drop for next weigh in. Gosh, I hope so, anyway!

That would be a lot of bananas!  Glad you enjoyed the week! 

music video bananas GIF by Andrew W. K.

• Like 3

Race: Amazonian Ogre Princess | Class: Ranger | Profession: SuperHero | Affiliation: Doodlie and Pancake for Life

I am not saying I am Wonder Woman. I am just saying no one has ever seen me and Wonder Woman together in the same room.

Original Spawn Challenges 2014 - 2020: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 789, 10, 11, 12 , 131415, 1617181920, 21, 2223242526272829303132, 33, 3435, 36??

Starting weight 261.4

W1 3/25: 261.2 (-0.2)

W2 4/1: 258.0 (-3.2)

W3 4/8: 256.4 (-1.6)

Sunday's weigh in was better but I'm fine with 2 steps forward and 1 step back.  Average weight continues to drop steadily.  I did eat out twice last week so happy I was able to mitigate.  This coming week we have one night out planned.  I'm not expecting it to be a huge problem.  Hope everyone has a great week.  

• Like 6

Mar 26 - 175.2

Apr 01  - 174.4 (-0.8)

Apr 08 - 173.4 (-1.0)

Using yesterday's weigh in instead of today because I ended up having a lot of sodium yesterday, plus a couple of beers, so I think I'm holding on to some water. But I've been seeing 173 consistently every weigh in this week, so I'm pretty confident with this number!

• Like 6

Level 19 Ravenclaw Rebel

COMPLETED CHALLENGES: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 13.5 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21/21

4 hours ago, Shello said:

W3 4/8: 256.4 (-1.6)

Sunday's weigh in was better but I'm fine with 2 steps forward and 1 step back.  Average weight continues to drop steadily.  I did eat out twice last week so happy I was able to mitigate.  This coming week we have one night out planned.  I'm not expecting it to be a huge problem.  Hope everyone has a great week.  

-1.6 is still pretty good! ?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Level 19 Ravenclaw Rebel

39 minutes ago, athousandwords said:

-1.6 is still pretty good! ?

It is and I am pleased about it.  I get greedy when I have a good week and want to see it continue.  ?

• Haha 3

No weigh-in for me this week.
I had the week off last week, which meant plenty of activities with the kids and no intermittent fasting or calorie counting, and I don't want a weigh-in that's completely out of proportion. Let me take this workweek to get back in a routine and to get rid of most of the bloat, and then assess the damage...

• Like 6

TimovieMan: funnier than you think he is; not as funny as he thinks he is...

Active challenges: Don't log, remain sensible | Walk to Mordor - (spreadsheet) | DailyDare | Weight Loss PVP 10/12 lbs in 10/12 weeks - (spreadsheet)

Old threads: Battle log | Challenge I | IIIIIIV | V | VI | VII | VIII | IX | X | XI | XII | XIII | XIV | XV | XVI | XVII | XVIII | XIX | XX | XXI | XXII | XXIII

18/03 - 164.9lbs

25/03 -163.9lbs

01/04 - 163.1lbs

08/04 - 163.5lbs

I ate a little more than 4,000kcal over budget last week, so gaining 0.4lbs feels about right (the budget figure should lose me about 1lb per week). It was a mixture of lots of chocolate, of feeling weirdly hungry, a full day on my feet marshalling a Tough Mudder on Saturday, and free beer from said Tough Mudder than all conspired to put me over. Oh, and my dad's birthday dinner :lol: 

So far this week I haven't had much of an appetite, and am getting less excited about all of the Easter chocolate I still have, so that should see me sticking to budget for a couple of days at least. Going out to a restaurant on Saturday where you eat in pitch darkness and get served by blinder waiters, so I'll have zero control of what I eat there, but aside from that I don't foresee any difficulties in staying on track this week (and honestly, that meal can't do much damage if I'm on track in the 5 days before).

• Like 6

Level 21 Wood Elf Ranger

STR: 18  -  CON: 22  -  CHA: 11  -  SAN: 19  -  INT: 17

IAgreeWithTank™

"Shit is going down, but I am not." - iatetheyeti

Don't say "I don't have enough time", say instead "that's not a priority right now" and see how that makes you feel.

Current Challenge: Jarric: The 'C' Team

External: Epic Quest - Instagram - Strava

Spoiler

Previous Challenges: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74

Old Stuff: Battle Log - My Introduction - 2017 Road Map - 2018 Road Map - 2019 Road Map - 2021 Road Map - 2022 road map/wrap-up

21 minutes ago, Jarric said:

So far this week I haven't had much of an appetite, and am getting less excited about all of the Easter chocolate I still have, so that should see me sticking to budget for a couple of days at least. Going out to a restaurant on Saturday where you eat in pitch darkness and get served by blinder waiters, so I'll have zero control of what I eat there, but aside from that I don't foresee any difficulties in staying on track this week (and honestly, that meal can't do much damage if I'm on track in the 5 days before).

I've always thought that experience would be so cool! Report back on what you think! 

• Like 2

Level 19 Ravenclaw Rebel