1 hour ago, Everstorm said:

Maybe we just need to indulge in apple season

tumblr_178f8f4e74c0dc6210a407640583bbe4_66b842f9_640.gif.40ea60436d48ecd00b15079a6184b82a.gif

I have just eaten an apple under an autumnal tree. Not that autumnal, but I'm doing what I can here. :D

1 hour ago, Jean said:

Hot chocolate really makes it ok to not be ok, which is pretty much how I'm feeling right now.

Welcome to the kaffeeklatsch. Hot chocolate is definitely good for mental health.

1 hour ago, Jean said:

cat-lick.gif

Well, that is adorable. And cats do indeed have the right attitude.

• Like 3

I felt like I could run forever, like I could smell the wind and feel the grass under my feet, and just run forever.

Current Challenge: #24 - Mrs. Cosmopolite Challenge

Past: #1, #2, #3, #4, #5, #6,  #7#8, #9#10, #11a & #11b, #12, #13, #14, #15, #16, #17, #18, #19, #20, #21, #22, #23

1 minute ago, Snarkyfishguts said:

Cat Coffee GIF by Cat's Cafe Comics

stay cozy, friend

That is an excellent vibe.

• Like 1

I felt like I could run forever, like I could smell the wind and feel the grass under my feet, and just run forever.

Past: #1, #2, #3, #4, #5, #6,  #7#8, #9#10, #11a & #11b, #12, #13, #14, #15, #16, #17, #18, #19, #20, #21, #22, #23

• Like 3

The Great Reading Thread of 2024

“I've always believed that failure is non-existent. What is failure? You go to the end of the season, then you lose the Super Bowl. Is that failing? To most people, maybe. But when you're picking apart why you failed, and now you're learning from that, then is that really failing? I don't think so." - Kobe Bryant, 1978-2020. Rest in peace, great warrior.

Personal Challenges, a.k.a.The Saga of Scalyfreak: Tutorial; Ch 1; Ch 2; Ch 3; Ch 4; Ch 5; Ch 6; Intermission; Intermission II; Ch 7; Ch 8; Ch 9; Ch 10; Ch 11; Ch 12 ; Ch 13; Ch 14Ch 15; Ch 16; Ch 17; Intermission IIICh 18; Ch 19; Ch 20; Ch 21; Ch 22; Ch 23; Ch 24; Ch 25; Intermission IV; Ch 26; Ch 27; Ch 28; Ch 29; Ch 30; Ch 31; Ch 32; Ch 33; Ch 34; Ch 35; Ch 36; Ch 37; Ch 38; Ch 39; Ch 40; Intermission V; Ch 41; Ch 42; Ch 43; Ch 44; Ch 45; Ch 46; Ch 47; Intermission VI; Ch 48; Ch 49; Ch 50; Ch 51; Intermission VI

40 minutes ago, Scaly Freak said:

But how do you keep the books from getting damp? This is potentially distressing. Please tell me there's magic bookshelves.

26 minutes ago, sarakingdom said:

But how do you keep the books from getting damp? This is potentially distressing. Please tell me there's magic bookshelves.

It is a magic bookstore, so I assumed the magic bookshelves and magic-induced climate control in general was a part of the concept.

The Great Reading Thread of 2024

“I've always believed that failure is non-existent. What is failure? You go to the end of the season, then you lose the Super Bowl. Is that failing? To most people, maybe. But when you're picking apart why you failed, and now you're learning from that, then is that really failing? I don't think so." - Kobe Bryant, 1978-2020. Rest in peace, great warrior.

Personal Challenges, a.k.a.The Saga of Scalyfreak: Tutorial; Ch 1; Ch 2; Ch 3; Ch 4; Ch 5; Ch 6; Intermission; Intermission II; Ch 7; Ch 8; Ch 9; Ch 10; Ch 11; Ch 12 ; Ch 13; Ch 14Ch 15; Ch 16; Ch 17; Intermission IIICh 18; Ch 19; Ch 20; Ch 21; Ch 22; Ch 23; Ch 24; Ch 25; Intermission IV; Ch 26; Ch 27; Ch 28; Ch 29; Ch 30; Ch 31; Ch 32; Ch 33; Ch 34; Ch 35; Ch 36; Ch 37; Ch 38; Ch 39; Ch 40; Intermission V; Ch 41; Ch 42; Ch 43; Ch 44; Ch 45; Ch 46; Ch 47; Intermission VI; Ch 48; Ch 49; Ch 50; Ch 51; Intermission VI

6th October, 2024

Dear Inspector Nightingale,

I had a problem and took a walk. Is that how it's supposed to work?

Sincerely,

Sara Kingdom

Trainee at Large, Society of the Wise

• Like 2

Isaac-Newton-PNG-Isolated-HD-133x200.png

Scientia potestas est

Society of the Wise • Est. 1775

The Folly

Russell Square

London, WC1B 7ZF

6th October, 2024

Dear Sara,

Yes. Did it work?

Yours,

Thomas Nightingale

Detective Chief Inspector, Metropolitan Police

Acting President, Society of the Wise

• Like 1

6th October, 2024

More or less. I'd say not being in range of the bombs going off for a few hours was the biggest help, though.

Sincerely,

Sara Kingdom

• Like 1

Scientia potestas est

The Folly

Russell Square

London, WC1B 7ZF

6th October, 2024

Dear Sara,

That is the best primary response to bombs, I've found.

On the whole, I'd say that it proves the point, wouldn't you?

Yours,

Thomas Nightingale

Okay:

Two walks taken.

Three healthy-habit ruts hopped out of. (Walking to solve problems, meditation, and a thing I needed to work on.)

One dinner made when it wasn't my turn, so I got both dinner and the brownie points of being a very nice person. (And it was a good dinner and quick to make.)

One meeting attended when I wasn't in the mood, because it's a better habit to do the thing rather than skip the thing. (It didn't work out, but I did my part and showed up.)

Multiple photos taken spontaneously.

Habit-supporting meetings scheduled for tomorrow.

Breakfast bento prepared and left on my desk so my body can be fed before my brain gets its food prep gears working. (I'm never hungry in the morning and don't like interrupting good focus to make food, but I think there are subtle ways lack of food makes itself known and it's hard to stack all my meals at the end of the day, so a little nibble while I hydrate is a good idea.)

Vitamins taken. (Including a bunch of D, which I'd run out of, which may be part of the mood issue. And a supplement my new ADHD group highly recommends.)

Alarm set in time for a good night's sleep.

And I'm going to follow @Everstorm's curly hair advice overnight. I'm not super curly at the mo', but it's the habit that counts. I smell like a Jolly Rancher.

ETA: Did a balance exercise while brushing my teeth because they're supported by studies for ADHD. And did a tiny bit of bathroom cleaning before bed.

I have done the self-care, guys.

• Like 3
  • That's Metal 5

On 10/5/2024 at 10:36 PM, sarakingdom said:

I'm in a bit of a mood. I'm petty and bitter about everything, including myself, even if no one knows it. (This is, like, the world's most exhausting masking effort, guys.) I am the worst. I'm so tired of me.

I'm also tired of everyone else, except for wonderful people, who shouldn't speak (in case I decide they're not wonderful) and to whom I shouldn't speak (in case they realize I'm not).

Why are you talking about me?

On 10/5/2024 at 10:36 PM, sarakingdom said:

Radical self-acceptance of being the worst is the theme of the day. Yeah, I'm the worst, so what? Not my problem. Not your problem. It changes nothing.

Huh, you mean instead of hiding from everyone, including myself?

giphy.webp 

15 hours ago, sarakingdom said:

(Oh God, I think my mental health is going to take a hard hit today. Please post vibes.)

giphy.webp

This is my vibe. I believe it counts as seasonal.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Mad Hatter said:

Why are you talking about me?

Cuz we're having a small epidemic. Welcome.

Huh, you mean instead of hiding from everyone, including myself?

Yup! Not your problem. Just a thing that exists. Moods are like the weather. So it's raining in the brain, so what. No use making a big deal about the rain.

This is my vibe. I believe it counts as seasonal.

It counts, but allow me to suggest a temporary minor upgrade:

Im Alive Good Morning GIF

Not too ambitious a shift. Factually true. Not very interesting, which frees you brain up for other things. The rest is just noise, not your job today. Ignore it. Not your problem. Don't expend the energy it takes to either believe or not believe the noise.

So everything is the worst in your brain. Think, "So what". It happens. It is what it is. Leave it alone to get on with it, while you get on with something else. You don't poke it with a stick, no one else gets to poke it with a stick, it doesn't get to poke you with a stick, and preferably don't let it like anyone else with a stick. It gets its factual recognition, and that's it. Sure is raining in the brain today, that's a thing that is happening. The rain clouds are just going to empty and move on, it's what rain clouds do. Trying to poke it with a stick is just gonna irritate you and give the cloud more condensation nuclei to rain more, and you'll be more wet, more annoyed, and have wasted your time.

(This is Buddhist non-attachment in action. Don't get too attached to outcomes or things that are transient. When you've got a block of suffering, don't invest too much of yourself in either identifying with it or in the need to fight the fact that it's happening and replace it with a previously-existing set of conditions. Both of those do very little apart from make things harder.  Don't feed the trolls, as the kids used to say on the ancient Buddhist internet. The more energy you feed it, the more it grows.)

Then see if you can do a second upgrade for the aesthetic, and aspire to be the best totally done seasonal coffin dweller you can be:

Rising Waking Up GIF by filmeditor

Gothy. Classic. Or if you're up for a challenge:

tired wake up GIF by VAMP

Yup, it sure is Monday. And you're a totally done coffin dweller, but that doesn't mean you can't be the most glam totally done coffin dweller ever, at least on the inside. Have yourself a goddamn seasonal coffee to celebrate.

200.gif?cid=cad65057lr9s4nonlswg2zlzkwqe

Full service aesthetic here.

• Like 7

On 10/7/2024 at 3:35 PM, sarakingdom said:

Im Alive Good Morning GIF

I like this.

You don't poke it with a stick, no one else gets to poke it with a stick, it doesn't get to poke you with a stick, and preferably don't let it like anyone else with a stick.

My problem is that I don't even poke it, I just hide from it preemptively. 

Then see if you can do a second upgrade for the aesthetic, and aspire to be the best totally done seasonal coffin dweller you can be:

Interesting idea. I'm into it. At least in theory.

• Like 2

Totally down for the crone coffee gathering.

I could even make cinnamon rolls from scratch. Those fall in the class of things that can be made at home, but a batch is too large for my household to eat. Or I could try making gluten-free aebleskiver. They have apples, which makes them seasonal. I have an aebleskiver pan that I hardly ever use and two bags of apples from the farmer's market. Just sayin.

I went for a walk at lunchtime today before I even caught up with your thread. Catching the vibe on the wind.

• Like 5

Level 80  Viking paladin

My current challenge  Battle log 

Scientia potestas est

The Folly

Russell Square

London, WC1B 7ZF

8th October, 2024

Dear Sara,

I was planning to issue instructions for this week as it pertains to the next challenge, but at the moment I'm somewhat more concerned about the fact you are having breakfast at 11p.m., some fifteen hours after waking up. While the vagaries of your schedule are a mystery to me, but it seems that at least ten to twelve hours have vanished from your schedule without a trace.

I think we need to address this. I'm at a loss for ideas, so please go take a walk. Solvitur ambulando.

Yours,

Thomas Nightingale

• Like 3

8th October, 2024

You have no ideas, so I must take a walk?

Sincerely,

Sara Kingdom

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Scientia potestas est

The Folly

Russell Square

London, WC1B 7ZF

8th October, 2024

Dear Sara,

The problem requiring solution is in fact yours, rather than mine.

And I believe you will find that Toby and I have been for a walk twice today; you have not.

Yours,

Thomas Nightingale

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

(He's not wrong, but this is really going to get in the way of my daily hydration, which I'm also starting at 11pm, and my chores, and... dammit, he's giving me the "this is why it's a problem" look.)

• Haha 3

2 hours ago, sarakingdom said:

I'm somewhat more concerned about the fact you are having breakfast at 11p.m., some fifteen hours after waking up.

I hate when this happens.

2 hours ago, sarakingdom said:

daily hydration, which I'm also starting at 11pm

Oof, you must feel awful. Chores can wait, hydration cannot. Even the walk can wait.

24 minutes ago, Mad Hatter said:

Oof, you must feel awful.

I didn't notice. Oops.

But I will regret it, in sinus issues and nosebleeds. (Of course, I'm also going to regret rushing all my hydration right before bed.)

24 minutes ago, Mad Hatter said:

Chores can wait, hydration cannot. Even the walk can wait.

Ugh, but I have to go to bed...

I could really use a scary housekeeper to terrify me out of bed and throw a pot of tea in front of me in the morning. I blame the patriarchy.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, sarakingdom said:

I could really use a scary housekeeper to terrify me out of bed

Amazon.com: CLOCKY Extra Super Loud Alarm Clock for Heavy Sleepers Adults Kids Teens Bedroom, Move Jump Roll Run Away Easy to Set Smart Digital Alarm Clock on Wheels -Funny Gag Gift (Black) : Home & Kitchen

8 hours ago, sarakingdom said:

and throw a pot of tea in front of me in the morning

Not finding an automatic tea pot, but a coffee maker with a timer loaded with tea could work. 

Or, if you want something more carrot to go with the above stick, this is beautiful and I think I need it in my life.

9 hours ago, sarakingdom said:

I blame the patriarchy.

Normally an accurate response. 

• Like 1

We are not sinners trespassing in the garden of an angry God.

We are prodigals come home; fully seen and deeply loved.

Spoiler

2 hours ago, Whisper said:

Not finding an automatic tea pot, but a coffee maker with a timer loaded with tea could work. 

It does. I used to have one, tea bags sit in the pot just fine. Anything that's "just add hot water". If I still had it, I'd prefer the coffee, personally, but if scary British housekeepers trained up in 1910 make tea, you drink the tea... :D

fangs GIF

(I'm sure she must eventually figure out coffee...)

I think you need a bird teapot.

• Like 4