Sea-to-sky: Resisting hibernation

So, this time of year in cornwall the nights are creeping in. It gets dark so early and you wake up with it still being night out. The rain and grey are creeping in (which we can have endlessly for weeks if not months or nothing but grey sky and mizzle). Storm season has started (though i love the storms, so thats a plus for me). 

for those not familiar with british weather i am going to illustrate this with an image.

IMG_3049.jpeg.91cd5d1c717e9068e2ec96213fa69d4f.jpeg

this is a colour photograph. 

…you see what I'm getting at here. 

(Photo Not mine. I found it unlabelled on the internet) 

so between the weather and the shorter days, hibernation is very tempting. So the goal of this months challenge is to try and instil some good routines for winter and not slip into the bad habits of sleeping in late, not going for walks because it is wet/cold/bleak/etc or making a nest on the sofa and staying there til spring. 

Ankle rehab:

- ankle stretches 1 x day

- Walking 2 times a week

(Admittedly not as catchy as @Jarric’s kneehab, but what can you do)

So, first thing on the agenda is getting the ankle sorted and generally not being an idiot about it. So,

Get out of the house

- get out and do things one a week

(bonus points for social stuff)

yes, this one is back again. Mostly as i can get a tad reluctant to leave the house once the weather sets in. 

scale the book pile

- Read 1 paper book a week

- read books i already own and try not to buy more

Ive been doing well with reducing my tbr on my kindle but i have quite a few physical books i need to start working through. the evenings are getting darker now and the clocks move back soon, meaning it will get dark at 6pm here, so lots of reading time. 

this segues nicely into 

soft no spend

Boring but necessary. Also i do not need to do the usual magpie thing and fill my space with endless shiny nicknacks. Thats a habit i want to kick.

so necessary purchases only. 

The yarn of the endless rib

-knit 3x a week

Last year i started a neck warmer in a wool i adore. It would be nice to actually be able to wear it this year. Unfortunately i am not a huge fan of knitting ribbing, and this pattern has huge stretches of 2x2 rib (ugh ?) so this project has sat next to my chair mostly forgotten since last winter.  Thus i felt a little shove was needed or it is going to continue to just sit there. 

Room sorting

- one thing a day in the charity box.

the room sort continues now my ankle isn't getting in the way. I had to shelve it last challenge due to not being able to crouch or kneel easily but now we are back on track. i am really close to getting shot of the last few boxes. Doing a little every day definitely helps when i don't have the energy for doing a big chunk

-take things to charity shop (ongoing)

-sort and organise art supplies (mostly done)

-finish sorting boxes (mostly done)

-sort top of desk (ongoing)

- frame and hang pictures

- rehome table

mandolin practice

-practice mando 2x week

-take mando to folk sessions (weather permitting) 

sketching

- sketching 1x week

Drink more water

bother it all i will get this one to stick. Right now i am sucking at it (its always harder in the colder months). This is my current water tracker…as you can see, things are not going brilliantly. 
it irritates me most becuase i tend to snack more when im not drinking enough, which is not helping the weight loss im trying to get back on track with. 

IMG_3065.thumb.jpeg.412099d8726db6f70f575c1c80adf995.jpeg

and last but not least 

moisturise daily

Ideally doing the full routine, but 1/2 is better than nothing. 

very important in the winter what with the winds, but Especially so when winter sea swimming (Which i am hoping to do once the ankle is more there) which can be very drying to the skin if you've not a solid moisturising routine going. 

i also want to get back on track with the weight loss now i can excercise more. Im snacking too much and need to get back into the habit of having one treat a week (not one ever day ?). 

chances are good there will also be random recepies, cooking and the obligatory photos of Cornwall inhere, as per the norm

• Like 7

the creative spelling comes as standard. Enjoy! 
A journey of thousand miles, begins with a single step - Lao Tzu

Challenge: #1#2#3#4#5#6#7#8

Much cleaning of things got done today. Helped my mother have a sort out of the boxes from under the eves. It is ongoing. 
finished some of the trackers and my weekly in my bujo and then did the stupid thing and doom scrolled for ages, which is the worst thing to do when tired. 
ho hum. So hard to remember these things when your restless becuase your tired. Difficult to slow down and stop, even though its what you need

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Sea-to-sky said:

Admittedly not as catchy as @Jarric’s kneehab, but what can you do

Anklehab? Ankeelhab? Ankeehab? You're right, it's not such a good fit.

Great goals though! I hope the Cornish weather is kind to you.

• Thanks 1

Level 21 Wood Elf Ranger

STR: 18  -  CON: 22  -  CHA: 11  -  SAN: 19  -  INT: 17

IAgreeWithTank™

"Shit is going down, but I am not." - iatetheyeti

Don't say "I don't have enough time", say instead "that's not a priority right now" and see how that makes you feel.

Current Challenge: Get going!

External: Epic Quest - Instagram - Strava

Spoiler

Previous Challenges: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75

Old Stuff: Battle Log - My Introduction - 2017 Road Map - 2018 Road Map - 2019 Road Map - 2021 Road Map - 2022 road map/wrap-up

40 minutes ago, Jarric said:

Anklehab? Ankeelhab? Ankeehab? You're right, it's not such a good fit

Yeah. I tried to find a good way to mangle them together and jt just does not work ?

• Like 1

The photo of the british weather looks beautiful, in an artistic sort of way. Wouldn't want to actually be in it, though. Happy knitting :)

Let cheese and oxen and mead crowd out our secret desires for power and domination - Harriet the Viking

Just be bold, fluid and unapologetic, not small, hairy and indecisive - Harriet the Artist

You can absorb me! - Harriet the Contextless Guru

7 hours ago, Sea-to-sky said:

(Admittedly not as catchy as @Jarric’s kneehab, but what can you do)

Allow me to suggest: "ankle crankle".

• Haha 4

I felt like I could run forever, like I could smell the wind and feel the grass under my feet, and just run forever.

Current Challenge: #24 - Mrs. Cosmopolite Challenge

Past: #1, #2, #3, #4, #5, #6,  #7#8, #9#10, #11a & #11b, #12, #13, #14, #15, #16, #17, #18, #19, #20, #21, #22, #23

14 hours ago, Harriet said:

The photo of the british weather looks beautiful, in an artistic sort of way. Wouldn't want to actually be in it, though. Happy knitting

You defiantly have you be prepared for months of grey and wet. It is not the best. 
thanks, hopefully the knitting goes well ?.

12 hours ago, sarakingdom said:

Allow me to suggest: "ankle crankle".

Thanks ?. Think i will just stick with ankle rehab. Simple is best sometimes

• Like 1

Did much sorting yesterday. Clearing, cleaning spider wrangling and generally getting very dusty. The whole asian adage about having to get something dirty to get something clean is very true, and that something was me in this instance. 

most of it was the boxes my mother pulled from under the eves when they did the spare room conversion. Most of it hasn't been touched since we moved in (so about a decade) or possibly much longer in some cases. We did find their skull collection though, which would be nice to see out again. 

for added fun, we have come to the conclusion the rayburns temperature gauge is broken. not just a little broken sadly, it is 50’c (122’F) out.
Annoyingly this wasnt figured out til after my mum burnt the Christmas cake in it yesterday. So we are getting this cake now and making another. 

finally did the weekly. Was so simple i wish id done it earlier, but there we are. Looks good though.

Trigger warning: artistic gore and blood

Spoiler

IMG_3084.thumb.jpeg.ee98b67323a9ecb83eb2fb9ba3d1edf1.jpeg

finished Vesselless by cortney L. winn. Wow that totally blindsided me. I got this free and Really enjoyed it book. Its got good worldbuilding, nicely complex characters and a really good plot with lots of twists. now i need the next one in the series as it ended on a cliffhanger. 

The weather this week is looking good so I'm hoping to get some sea time in. It is going to be so cold after not getting in for ages but its worth it….or at least thats what I'm going to tell myself 

• Like 7

6 minutes ago, Sea-to-sky said:

finished Vesselless by cortney L. winn. Wow that totally blindsided me. I got this free and Really enjoyed it book. Its got good worldbuilding, nicely complex characters and a really good plot with lots of twists. now i need the next one in the series as it ended on a cliffhanger. 

Ooh, sounds like a good one.  Will add to my list

Life before Death

Strength before Weakness

Journey before Destination

On 10/21/2024 at 11:42 AM, Sea-to-sky said:

We did find their skull collection though, which would be nice to see out again. 

...skull collection? O.o

Level 21 Wood Elf Ranger

IAgreeWithTank™

Don't say "I don't have enough time", say instead "that's not a priority right now" and see how that makes you feel.

Spoiler

Previous Challenges: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75

Old Stuff: Battle Log - My Introduction - 2017 Road Map - 2018 Road Map - 2019 Road Map - 2021 Road Map - 2022 road map/wrap-up

14 hours ago, Jarric said:

...skull collection? O.o

halloween-is-not-a-day-its-a-season.gif

• Haha 2
  • That's Metal 1

TimovieMan: funnier than you think he is; not as funny as he thinks he is...

Active challenges: Don't log, remain sensible | Walk to Mordor - (spreadsheet) | DailyDare | Weight Loss PVP 10/12 lbs in 10/12 weeks - (spreadsheet)

Old threads: Battle log | Challenge I | IIIIIIV | V | VI | VII | VIII | IX | X | XI | XII | XIII | XIV | XV | XVI | XVII | XVIII | XIX | XX | XXI | XXII | XXIII

On 10/20/2024 at 2:47 PM, Sea-to-sky said:

Yeah. I tried to find a good way to mangle them together and jt just does not work ?

Rehankle is my offering 🤭 I agree ankle rehab might be the best but ankle crankle amused me. 

Do you have a good water vessel? That is a big part of me making or breaking my water goals. If it's too small then I end up drinking it all and can't always replace it right away (or forget).. if it's too big then I hate filling it up... If the lid is a hassle then I will bother.  I use a 1L Bubba mug. It's just a huge mug essentially. I don't need to fiddle with a top and it's not too bad to fill. It lasts me half a work day so I can fill it at lunch. 

The water might be cold but your ankle will likely enjoy it! 

• Like 3

{Chase the wind and touch the sky; I will fly}

16 hours ago, Jarric said:

skull collection? O.o

Yup skull collection. Have to do somethin with the skulls of your enemies and drinking vessels are a bit last century 😝
sadly mine is not as impressive. I only have a couple. 

@TimovieMan so true

• Like 1
  • That's Metal 1

1 hour ago, Rookie said:

Do you have a good water vessel? That is a big part of me making or breaking my water goals. If it's too small then I end up drinking it all and can't always replace it right away (or forget).. if it's too big then I hate filling it up... If the lid is a hassle then I will bother.  I use a 1L Bubba mug. It's just a huge mug essentially. I don't need to fiddle with a top and it's not too bad to fill. It lasts me half a work day so I can fill it at lunch. 

Yes, this is a sensible and strait for ward answer i keep forgetting to do. I have a jug. Do i remember to fill it? Do i end up leaving it in another room? Do i forget it even exists?

all of the obove 😅

• Haha 1

I feel you on that grey sunless weather. Here in Pittsburgh we usually don’t see the sun from Nov - April.  Grey and raining for weeks.  Although I am a bit jelly of the winter sea swimming. That sounds lovely. Following!

“You can’t wait until life isn’t hard anymore before you decide to be happy” -Nightbirde

“Dreams do not come true all by themselves. They are nourished by the bounty of hard work”  -Unknown Disney Imagineer

2024 Word

Svastha: Standing in One’s Own Power

Current Challenge:

Sepherina Focuses

Prior Challenges

Spoiler

Sepherina:

#1 , #2 , #3 , #4 , #5 , #6 , #7 , #8 , #9#10#11, #12, ,#13#14, #15#16, #17

Avery The Patient:

#1 , #2 , #3 , #4 , #5 

Got a swim in today. It is unexpectedly chilly out there but was still nice to see everyone for a chat and some wave jumping. Accidentally went in with my neckwarmer still on. 

part way through drawing man eating plants in my bujo (before you ask, yes i did rip of little pet shop of horrors. Had to be done). Sadly doesnt look like much until i get the colour on. 

IMG_3162.thumb.jpeg.3f6ddfe7ddde4b2e77617235bfc89189.jpeg

room clearance ongoing. Chucked some stuff that needed to go but was hard to get rid of. Sometimes i wish i was less sentimental. It would make this kind of thing simpler. 

ankle rehab definitely makes the difference. Currently doing the stretches in the morning and it seems to be really helping (surprise surprise). 

moisturising routine also going okish. I am remembering about 50% of the time so need to make myself a post it note or something. 

still trying to mix my wardrobe up and it now cold enough that I've migrated into long sleeved tshirts. Usually i layer tshirts in the winter but am a bit bored with that so have got a couple of vests to go under instead. Hopefully it will be comfortable. 

soft no spend is going. Trying to stick to buying things i need, so digging through my books of my kindle. Lots of ones i haven't read so i should be fine on that front. 
found a second hand copy of tommorow and tommorow and tomorrow by Gabrielle zevin (which ive fancied reading for while ) whilst hunting for xmas presents for the family. Usually do them a pile of second hand novels (with a smattering of cookery and history books) each, so getting started early can be important as it takes a while to hunt out good ones. 
litnus test will really be when i go to town tomorrow to get a new jumper. 

• Like 5

Hungry Feed Me GIF

They look really cool! Can't wait to see the coloured versions.

• Thanks 1

Level 21 Wood Elf Ranger

IAgreeWithTank™

Spoiler

I struggle with cold water to drink when it’s not warm out. So I deliberately leave my water to warm to room temperature or even warm it a bit (not hot like tea) in the kettle and go from there. Maybe that would help? Love your man-eating plants. ❤️ 

Here to cheer. 

• Thanks 1

Past Challenges: #1, #2#3#4#5#6#7#8#9#10#11#12#13#14#15#16

Current Challenge: #17

“Finish each day and be done with it. You have done what you could. Some blunders and absurdities no doubt crept in; forget them as soon as you can. Tomorrow is a new day. You shall begin it serenely and with too high a spirit to be encumbered with your old nonsense.” Ralph Waldo Emerson

1 hour ago, Sovalis said:

So I deliberately leave my water to warm to room temperature or even warm it a bit (not hot like tea) in the kettle and go from there. Maybe that would help? Love your man-eating plants. ❤️ 

Thank you. Im very excited about colouring them. The plants from the film have such fun colour texture.

yes leaving water out is sensible. I need to remember to make tea more. This wouod help