Forums are back in action! ×

What's everyone reading?

I've just finished The Girl with All the Gifts.

How did you like it? I've heard good things. 

• Like 1

This is what is required of you: to act justly, to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God. - Micah 6:8

You can safely assume you have created God in your own image when it turns out he hates all the same people you do. - Anne Lamott, Traveling Mercies

Like pirates, sharks, monkeys, and ghosts, ninjas will never not be exciting. - Danny Wallace, Yes Man

Omg Girl with All the Gifts was so good!! I read that last month.  It was a really interesting take on the zombie apocalypse, I know that's what it said it would be but I wasn't expecting it to be quite how it was and ended up loving it.  I read it as a palate cleanser after finishing A Song of Ice and Fire and kind of expected it to be quick and easy but it was actually quite an emotionally taxing read.

I just finished reading The Bees.  Which I cannot recommend enough.  It's like watership down meets 1984/animal farm meets... hunger games?  The actual writing is really lovely as well, which tends to be lacking in a lot of the sci fi/fantasy books I read... where the plot is amazing but the writing is questionable.  This truly was absolutely gorgeously written though.  And the ending was really satisfying, which I feel is rare these days.

I also read Gone Girl recently... am I the only person in the world who didn't like it?? And I don't mean the ending, I actually kind of liked that... I just mean the whole book in general. 

I also read Gone Girl recently... am I the only person in the world who didn't like it?? And I don't mean the ending, I actually kind of liked that... I just mean the whole book in general. 

You're not alone. I wasn't a big fan of it in general. I didn't think it was very well written. An interesting concept, but not particularly well executed. 

• Like 1

Just finishing up "Assassin's Quest" from the Farseer trilogy from the Elderings series by Robin Hobb. It has a little of all that good fantasy needs: a reluctant hero, an animal companion, mysterious back stories, swords, magic, and much more. Third time reading it, but I've never finished the entire series so by the end of the year I hope to have finished all dozen or so.

• Like 2
Be excellent to each other.

Just finishing up "Assassin's Quest" from the Farseer trilogy from the Elderings series by Robin Hobb. It has a little of all that good fantasy needs: a reluctant hero, an animal companion, mysterious back stories, swords, magic, and much more. Third time reading it, but I've never finished the entire series so by the end of the year I hope to have finished all dozen or so.

I love Robin Hobb so, so much. So much. Too much maybe. I just got Fool's Quest and I can't bring myself to read it because I don't want to finish it too quickly. Fool's Assassin was amazing and I devoured it.

• Like 1

Alethe

Gnome, Level 0 

“It was, after all, a time for heroes and all sorts of marvelous things to occur.†  -Robin Hobb, Assassin's Quest

I just finished The Archer's Tale, Bernard Cornwell.  Can't wait to  get my hands on Vagabond!

Currently reading 59 Seconds... one of  many books I've picked up recently on recommendation from a guest on Tim Ferriss's  podcast. 

On deck: 4 Hour Chef by Tim Ferriss

We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit. -Aristotle

Arian, arian, zehetzen da burnia. -Basque proverb

Frisian Shieldmaiden level 12 (STR:16) (DEX:16) (STA:23) (CON:22) (WIS:17) (CHA:15)

Challenges: 11/12.14 - 1/2.15 - 2/3.15 - 15.4/5 - 15.6/7 - 15.7/9 - 16.1 - 16.3 - 16.4 - 16.5 - 16.10 - 16.11 - 16.12 - 17.1 - 17.2

2017 Goals: Maintain BW BS, 100kg DL - Muscle Up - 1/2 Marathon Condition - Abs

I think I'm in the mood for some sci-fi. Something without a "chosen one" hero, something with good, diverse representation in the characters (because why the heck do alients have to follow our relationship styles and sexual orientations???) ... Hmm. Ideas?

Left Hand of Darkness fits that description, if you're not looking for something recent.

This is turning into the year of Neil Gaiman - I've read several books by him this year already, just finished American Gods and am reading Good Omens (NG/Terry Pratchett).

Also just finished the House of the Scorpion by Nancy Farmer, two thumbs up.

I really want to love NG but I always feel like there is something missing. I know his writing is great but there is just no chemistry between us, the exception being his Sandman comics, which I am crazy about. Have you read them?

• Like 2

Alethe

Gnome, Level 0 

“It was, after all, a time for heroes and all sorts of marvelous things to occur.†  -Robin Hobb, Assassin's Quest

Left Hand of Darkness fits that description, if you're not looking for something recent.

So it does, and it's been on my to read list for ages. I looked it up to see if LibraryThing's recommendation machine thinks I'd like it and found out that it's the fourth book in a series! So I went to the library and picked up the omnibus of the first three stories.

Thanks!

So it does, and it's been on my to read list for ages. I looked it up to see if LibraryThing's recommendation machine thinks I'd like it and found out that it's the fourth book in a series! So I went to the library and picked up the omnibus of the first three stories.

Thanks!

I'm curious to see how you like them.  I actually haven't read the whole series, and the two books I did read (Left Hand of Darkness and DIspossessed) seemed to work fine as standalones. Of the two I actually liked Left Hand of Darkness much better.

I really want to love NG but I always feel like there is something missing. I know his writing is great but there is just no chemistry between us, the exception being his Sandman comics, which I am crazy about. Have you read them?

The only Gaiman I've read is Neverwhere, and you've just articulated what I couldn't quite put my finger on: beautifully written but...

I'll probably still try another book or two before I give up on him, just because he writes so well.

I've read these books so far:

The Ocean at the End of the Lane - I really struggled with this book - it was an interesting story, certainly, but I just dragged through it, and didn't really enjoy it.

The Graveyard Book - This was fantastic! I thinks it was technically written for kids, but it was my favorite so far.

Interworld (co-author Michael Reaves) - This was also for a younger audience, I think, but also great. Also wasn't what I expected from him, after reading the others.

American Gods - I struggled to get into this, but then blew through the last 2/3rd of it. Was definitely interesting all the pieces and culture and landmarks he wove into it - really well done, I thought.

So, mostly positive so far, although certainly only a small part of his bibliography! I haven't read Sandman... and probably wont, despite rave reviews, as I don't tend to read graphic novels. They're over and done too fast! :D

Mostly, I've been read impressed by the diversity of his books from just this small selection so far - they don't all feel like they were written by the same person!

Current Challenge #39 - 15.02.23  |  Challenges: #38, #29  |  Fitocracy: redtomato501

Cryptonomicon - started this as many friends suggested it but stopped as it just seems to drag on and on and on

Half-Ork Scout Leader
Running PRs : 5K 24m16s | 10K 53m32s | 15K 1h18m09s | Half Marathon 2h1m44s | Marathon 4h42m2s 
Past Challenges #1 #2 #3 #4 #5 #6 #7 #8 #9 #10 #11 #12 #13  #14 #15 #16 #17 #18 #19 #20 #21 #22
                               #23 #24 #25 #26 #27 #28 #29 #30 #31 #32 #33 #34 #35 #36 #37 #38 #39 #40
Current Challenge Don't Call It A Comeback

Mom was tossing out the "Wheel of Time" books so I decided to start reading them.  (I'll send word when I finish in ten years or so...)

So far haven't gotten too far into The Eye of the World, but at least it seems well written and not excessively violent or sexualized, which puts it ahead of the last several fantasy books I read.  I'm enjoying it.

Every saint has a past, and every sinner has a future.

Hylian Assassin 5'5", 143 lbs.
Half-marathon: 3:02
It is pitch dark. You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

Cryptonomicon - started this as many friends suggested it but stopped as it just seems to drag on and on and on

Last summer I borrowed the unabridged audio book of Cryptonomicon... it took the entire summer to make it through the 40+ hours.  It had its slow spots and the ending was somewhat abrupt, but overall I enjoyed it.  It definitely helped that I'm a software engineer so I actually liked the long-winded detailed tech explanations that popped up from time to time.  But it's certainly not something that I would ever recommend to others :)

Very old battle log
Previous Challenges: 5, 4, 3, 2, 1
Previous Mini Challenges: 2, 1

Assassin: Extremely competitive, tends to bust out bodyweight exercises when faced with waiting in hiding, and loves a good team vs team faceoff.  - Alexandrite

This is turning into the year of Neil Gaiman - I've read several books by him this year already, just finished American Gods and am reading Good Omens (NG/Terry Pratchett).

Also just finished the House of the Scorpion by Nancy Farmer, two thumbs up.

Wow, Good Omens is a great way to introduce yourself to both Gaiman and Pratchett. I have given it as a gift probably ten times and each time a new devout fan of those funny little Brits is born.

Be excellent to each other.

regarding Neil Gaiman:  

The Graveyard Book - This was fantastic! I thinks it was technically written for kids, but it was my favorite so far.

it kind of was, and it kind of wasn't.  It was modeled on Rudyard Kipling's "The Jungle Book" (which, amusingly enough, I needed TV Tropes to point out to me -- then I wondered how I could have missed it), but that book wasn't exactly for kids either.  Ostensibly it is a children's book, and it won a goddamn Newbery (!!) but the afterword in my version makes it pretty clear Gaiman was also writing about what it's like to be a parent, and to see your kids grow up.

It's definitely a lot less creepy weirdness than most of Gaiman's work, which is saying something cause, well, it's about a boy raised among the dead.  But there you go.

• Like 1

Every saint has a past, and every sinner has a future.

Hylian Assassin 5'5", 143 lbs.
Half-marathon: 3:02
It is pitch dark. You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

I'm curious to see how you like them.  I actually haven't read the whole series, and the two books I did read (Left Hand of Darkness and DIspossessed) seemed to work fine as standalones. Of the two I actually liked Left Hand of Darkness much better.

Nearly finished the first. A bit slow for me to get into it, but enjoying it plenty now. Apparently it's her first novel! I wonder what she thinks of it now. :)

Mom was tossing out the "Wheel of Time" books so I decided to start reading them.  (I'll send word when I finish in ten years or so...)

Tossing out?? As in ... donating them? Not ... throwing them in the garbage, right? (Someone save the books!!)

Wow, Good Omens is a great way to introduce yourself to both Gaiman and Pratchett. I have given it as a gift probably ten times and each time a new devout fan of those funny little Brits is born.

I really didn't like Good Omens. I loved American Gods, as well as what I've read of his comics (not just Sandman), so I'm worried that I won't enjoy Discworld when I finally get around to it. I used to read the Xanth books, and got to like #20 before I quit, so I can do just fine with funny/punny books. Maybe I'm just not in that phase of my life any more, or maybe all of the religious stuff went over my head.