Forums are back in action! ×

The Minimalism Game - 30 Days to Less Stuff! [Sept. 14 - Oct. 13, 2015]

Guys I am SO PREPARED FOR THIS! 

As a MinsGame veteran, I can tell you all first hand that yes, you do have that much stuff.  You have many times that amount of stuff.  You have SOOOO MUCH STUFFFFFF.

I really love this game, it is such glorious geekery!  I think my current tube of toothpaste is going to run out on Day 1, and I am WAAAY too excited to throw it away when the time comes...

• Like 3

LEVEL ONE APPRENTICE WIZARD RANGER: HUMAN UNTIL PROVEN OTHERWISE

Achievements Unlocked:  Breakfast Warrior, Pushupapalooza, Quadruple Nanomaster, Return From the Dead, Gainful Employment, Leap of Faith, Minimalism Game, Get Thee Behind Me, Coffee, Camp Nerd Fitness 2015, Return From the Dead 2: The Undeadening, Gainful Employment 2: Boss Edition, Fancy Comics Person, Rogue Hair

Tumblr of VERY INTERESTING ART: https://www.tumblr.com/blog/radicalwizardtimes

Guys I am SO PREPARED FOR THIS! 

As a MinsGame veteran, I can tell you all first hand that yes, you do have that much stuff.  You have many times that amount of stuff.  You have SOOOO MUCH STUFFFFFF.

I really love this game, it is such glorious geekery!  I think my current tube of toothpaste is going to run out on Day 1, and I am WAAAY too excited to throw it away when the time comes...

All right, I'm positive I can find that many things now.  This will not be as hard as I feared then :D.

• Like 1

Race: Were-Jaguar | Class: CodeMONKey

Level: 18 | STR: 46  | DEX: 41  | STA: 35  | CON: 51  | WIS: 57 | CHA: 47

Spoiler

---

Challenges: CURRENT

18TH | 17TH | 16TH 15TH 14TH | 13TH | 12.5TH | 12TH | 11TH |

10TH | 9TH | 8TH 7TH | 6TH | 5TH | 4TH | 3RD | 2ND | 1ST

Accountbilbuddies: Artists unite for March/April 2017!

---

"Everyone's the same height when you punch them hard enough"

---

NF Character Profile | BATTLE LOG | Tumblr | DeviantArt | Warhammer 40k Shenanigans

Does it count if you get rid of something you straight away replace ?

I see green herbs !

Good question, skinNbones!

I'm going to put this out there for the group to think about, especially as it points to a related question we may also want to consider. Beyond just direct replacement, should we put any controls in place for new stuff that we might buy during the 30 days?

Do we want to operate off of gross count or net?

All men dream, but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds, wake in the day to find that it was vanity:

but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act on their dreams with open eyes, to make them possible.

~T. E. Lawrence

When we contemplate the whole globe as one great dewdrop, striped and dotted with continents and islands,

flying through space with other stars all singing and shining together as one, the whole universe appears as an infinite storm of beauty. 
~John Muir

Seems to me like perhaps replaceable things/things we use/need with great regularity don't really fall within the spirit of the game. I mean, isn't the point of minimalism paring down the amount of accumulated, non-mission-essential crap?

But then again, 

you must get rid of one thing on the first day. On the second, two things. Three items on the third. So forth, and so on. Anything can go! Clothes, furniture, electronics, tools, decorations, etc. Donate, sell, or trash.

So maybe it's up to personal discretion?... 

• Like 3

Ah, but I have a second tube of toothpaste (purchased on sale a month ago) waiting in the wings to replace the first, so I will go from owning TWO tubes of toothpaste to ONE!  I personally don't count immediately replaced things (like, if I were to throw out the toothpaste and immediately buy another, or if I got rid of a pair of old socks just to buy a new pair).  BUT, there is a lot of great de-cluttering to be done with items that you would normally immediately replace, but decide not to.  Makeup, spices you don't really use, scary freezer food, and old toiletries are good examples.  

I also just get waay too much enjoyment out of using things up all the way - pencils, soap, pants, you name it.  

There is no clause in the OFFICIAL game to say that you can't buy things throughout the month.  BUT, it's probably a good idea to put off any non-essential purchases until the end of the month, or even a bit after.  It's nice to see what it's like to live with less before you start accumulating more, and also to just take a break from buying things.  Save money, be awesome!

• Like 6

Achievements Unlocked:  Breakfast Warrior, Pushupapalooza, Quadruple Nanomaster, Return From the Dead, Gainful Employment, Leap of Faith, Minimalism Game, Get Thee Behind Me, Coffee, Camp Nerd Fitness 2015, Return From the Dead 2: The Undeadening, Gainful Employment 2: Boss Edition, Fancy Comics Person, Rogue Hair

OK, I'm in.

My bedroom is fine, I've purged in the last few years, there is still some clothes I should get rid of but since I cannot afford new ones they will have stay. I've got 10 drawers in my bedroom, and 8 of them are empty. I even got space on my bookshelves.

My office is partly done. A few months ago I went through everything in the cupboard. Lots of childhood toys are in shoeboxes, I have no urge to throw them out, but since it is up high and can only be reached with a ladder I think I can leave it.

My teeny little problem is the paper work. I think I had quite a few challenges where the goal was to clean my desk. Exercise is much easier. I never managed it.

So for this game I am going to concentrate on my desk and filing cabinet. 

• Like 1

Level 8 : Wizard Blacksmith 

[ STR 6 | DEX 6 | STA 5 | CON 5 | WIS 10 | CHA 4 ]

Jakkals, 2019 nommer 3

Spoiler

Adapt yourself to the things among which your lot has been cast

and love sincerely the fellow creatures with whom destiny has

ordained that you shall live.

-Marcus Aurelius

Ah, but I have a second tube of toothpaste (purchased on sale a month ago) waiting in the wings to replace the first, so I will go from owning TWO tubes of toothpaste to ONE!  I personally don't count immediately replaced things (like, if I were to throw out the toothpaste and immediately buy another, or if I got rid of a pair of old socks just to buy a new pair).  BUT, there is a lot of great de-cluttering to be done with items that you would normally immediately replace, but decide not to.  Makeup, spices you don't really use, scary freezer food, and old toiletries are good examples. 

Yeah, in that case, it seems completely legit to me! :)

• Like 1

I'm working all weekend, but will check back in Sunday night.

In the meantime, the clock is ticking down to the new challenge!

Are you ready? If not, what do you need to do to get ready?

Prepare to rock your challenges and the PVP!

• Like 3

All men dream, but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds, wake in the day to find that it was vanity:

but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act on their dreams with open eyes, to make them possible.

~T. E. Lawrence

When we contemplate the whole globe as one great dewdrop, striped and dotted with continents and islands,

flying through space with other stars all singing and shining together as one, the whole universe appears as an infinite storm of beauty. 
~John Muir

I'm ready.  Still need to unpack from the trip and recharge my batteries after playing the 'Nomad Game' all weekend at airports across the Atlantic, but just glancing around the man cave here I can see plenty of potential in the purge department.

The standards or rules that I am personally adhering to (that aren't specifically outlined in http://www.theminimalists.com/game/) are...

• Items that require immediate replacement do not qualify as purged items (i.e. old toothpaste for new toothpaste, rather than two extra toothpaste down to one).
  • I will be keeping a donation box to accumulate a few days' worth of items rather than making daily runs to the center.
  • Purging one item and replacing it cancels the purge out (i.e. purging one pair of old jeans that don't fit and immediately buying a new pair that do, similar to above).

That's all I've come up with for now, but I'm pretty excited to get down to business.  This will really help with my unpacking and settling into the new place!

• Like 3

[Level ??] Rurik, the Thunderer

Class: Stormborn War-Shaman (Path of Giants Barbarian/Conquest Paladin/Elemental Domain Cleric)

BRUTALITY 11 | FINESSE 10 | VIGOR 11 | INSIGHT 14 | WILL 13

Equipment:  Studded leather armor, war club, plus adventurer's pack containing rations, rope, and nature-based potions. 

"Rangers have to at least give up on pants. It's a special rule we enacted after Rurik became a Guild Leader.” – DarK_RaideR

"Did I just get my ass kicked by a member of Metallica meets History Channel's Vikings?" - Wild Wolf

"By the Well-Oiled-and-Meticulously-Groomed Beard of Rurik!" - Tanktimus the Encourager

I'm ready. Still need to unpack from the trip and recharge my batteries after playing the 'Nomad Game' all weekend at airports across the Atlantic, but just glancing around the man cave here I can see plenty of potential in the purge department.

The standards or rules that I am personally adhering to (that aren't specifically outlined in http://www.theminimalists.com/game/) are...

• Items that require immediate replacement do not qualify as purged items (i.e. old toothpaste for new toothpaste, rather than two extra toothpaste down to one).
  • I will be keeping a donation box to accumulate a few days' worth of items rather than making daily runs to the center.
  • Purging one item and replacing it cancels the purge out (i.e. purging one pair of old jeans that don't fit and immediately buying a new pair that do, similar to above).
That's all I've come up with for now, but I'm pretty excited to get down to business. This will really help with my unpacking and settling into the new place!
I'm not officially in the game, although part of my challenge is removing at least one item a day, and my rules look just like your's Rurik.

I've tossed ~70 items so far and you can't notice yet. This leads me to believe 465 items is achievable by most people.

• Like 2

“We might as well start where we are, use what we have and do what we can." – Caitlin Rivers

Sloth: The Man with the Hammer battle log

I will be keeping a donation box to accumulate a few days' worth of items rather than making daily runs to the center.

This is exactly how I want to do it! It seems kinda crazy to me to have to get sellable/donate-able items out of the house every single day. As long as they're all in one place (bag, box, &c) and you take them out every now and again, that seems much more efficient.

• Like 1

So last weekend, I cleaned out our bedroom. Not much is left in the room (and it feels awesome! :)). But now my hallway and my garage are full of stuff to get rid of! And I've got piles of clothes to pack up, because I'm not quite willing to get rid of them yet. Clothes and shoes are kind of a thing for me, so I haven't quite figured out how to deal with that issue yet. I actually do wear most of what I own....I just own a lot of it.... :P.

Today I was cleaning in my studio, so even more stuff to get rid of! I'm having trouble deciding what my one item is going to be tomorrow. ;)

Logistically, there is a Goodwill store conveniently located near my work, so I'll be dropping stuff off on a daily basis. I might drop early for Saturday and Sunday, since it might not be as easily accessible.

I promise that if I buy anything over the next month I must get rid of an equal amount before I tally my purge items. (I'm not counting groceries though). Not bringing stuff in to the house may actually end up being harder than getting rid of stuff. Well just have to wait and see. ;)

Can't wait for tomorrow! Good luck everyone! :)

• Like 1

Here's a good link from The Minimalists to mentally prepare yourself for purging away all of those belongings: http://www.theminimalists.com/21days/

If nothing else it is good inspiration and another source of motivation to follow along with as we go through the next few weeks of minimalism.

• Like 3

Class: Stormborn War-Shaman (Path of Giants Barbarian/Conquest Paladin/Elemental Domain Cleric)

Equipment:  Studded leather armor, war club, plus adventurer's pack containing rations, rope, and nature-based potions. 

"Rangers have to at least give up on pants. It's a special rule we enacted after Rurik became a Guild Leader.” – DarK_RaideR

"Did I just get my ass kicked by a member of Metallica meets History Channel's Vikings?" - Wild Wolf

"By the Well-Oiled-and-Meticulously-Groomed Beard of Rurik!" - Tanktimus the Encourager

Thanks for posting the link, Rurik! Helpful for achieving the right mindset of getting rid of stuff.

It sounds like most everyone is ready to go and has their rules in place. I will be purging stuff and placing it in my car to drop off every few days at the Goodwill store about a mile away. Efficiency dictates that daily trips, at least in the early stages, would take as much or more time than the decluttering itself.

I think the key idea is to stay focused on the most important thing - the actual removal of the items from their usual place and into some kind of container for disposal. You'll know if you are keeping the spirit of the game or not. If it keeps calling to you to let it creep back in - get it out daily. If your will is strong, you have a bit more flexibility.

Ready or not, at midnight your local time, the game commenced/commences! Here we go!

Here's to 30 days to make our lives freer, happier, and more meaningful!

• Like 2

~T. E. Lawrence

~John Muir

Exxxxxcited :)

Wolf

"Let the Boomstick do the talking."

• Like 1

Wild Wolf

Class: Peerless Scarred/ Height: 6'2 / Weight: 188#

Instagram: @ryanwolfbell / Facebook: Ryan Wolf Bell / Bible App (YouVersion) Ryan Wolf Bell

Current Challenge: Intro to Wolflean

Spoiler

Last Challenge(s): 1/2/3/4/5/6/7/8/9/10/11/12/13/14/15/16

Epic Challenges: Welcome to the Fireteam & Wolfpool 

Gotham Project: 1

Know, O prince, that once the sun burns out and the earth's core becomes solid and cold, there will come a man to provide the endless energy needed to sustain life and for the planets to keep moving. He is the source of light and the warmth of hope back into the hearts of humanity...." - Dark_Raider

A wolf rises in my heart; against my darkness; against my demons; against my despair. I DECLARE WAR!

Romans 8:28 (CSB) We know that all things work together for the good of those who love God, who are called according to His purpose.

KYAAAAA IT HAS BEGUN!  

And you are welcome to join in, Kilo!  Good to have you aboard!

• Like 2

Day 1 complete: just garbaged a stained old tea towel.

Alongside the fact that I'll be unpacking all week, this ought to start off almost too easy.

• Like 2

Ah, it starts out easy, but by Day 10 you will FEEL THE METAPHORICAL BURN!

• Like 3