Forums are back in action! ×

Teek the Freak (And for now, the weak!)

Hey everyone, just wanted to take the time to introduce my (character) self...

I am Teek, a sedentary cubicle jockey, that loves his craft beer, gin and tonics, steaks, and sweets.

I have been a long time (more than a year) subscriber to the NerdFitness newsletter, and pulled the trigger on the academy a few days ago. Today, on the 29th anniversary of my birth, I am beginning my foray into the world of these forums, building my character, determining my quests, and starting my battle log (will be linked in my signature once I get it set up).

For now, I have aligned myself with the Rangers. I don't want to focus purely on strength. I truly despise running/cardio (Hence, no scout), but know it is a key portion to fitness. I don't want to get into crossfit for (most purely) prejudicial reasons (poor form videos abound). Or at least the "fad" of crossfit. I am willing to be proven wrong, as I am not the finest specimen of fitness and guru of exercise! Always willing to improve and find better ways.  I will probably begin swimming as I get into my exercises and build better habits.

I will be starting with the bodyweight brigade, and mixing in dumbell and barbell as needed to keep me interested.

• Like 3

Happy happy birthday Teek! And many welcomes. 

Best to you on your journey! There are so many ways to reach your goals, finding something you'll stick with seems to be a key component. I also started with body weight and am currently embarking on a lifting program, (which I never thought I'd ever do... but here we are), so who knows? So many options to try, I hope you find your niche! 

I, also, started my quest after my last birthday, and hey yo, 20lbs later, here I am!

So, cheers! And in the meantime, happy happy!

K5XCHYX.jpg

• Like 2

I forgive you for everything you've ever said to me while playing Mario Kart.

I started out over a year ago doing the Stronglifts 5x5, and I do enjoy lifting. As I get into the routine of working out and I can fit it into my new schedule I will mostly be focusing on lifting again. Small steps, build habits, then stress, as so far, up until this point in my life, stressing myself straight out of the gate always resorts to me quitting eventually.

Congrats on the 20, and may you keep shedding pounds like you shed protective balloons in Mario Kart!

• Like 2

I forgive you for everything you've ever said to me while playing Mario Kart.

I started out over a year ago doing the Stronglifts 5x5, and I do enjoy lifting. As I get into the routine of working out and I can fit it into my new schedule I will mostly be focusing on lifting again. Small steps, build habits, then stress, as so far, up until this point in my life, stressing myself straight out of the gate always resorts to me quitting eventually.

Congrats on the 20, and may you keep shedding pounds like you shed protective balloons in Mario Kart!

Oooh! That's what I'm starting with! Today is day 2 of week 2 in the 5X5 :) (Even though I kinda messed up on Monday and did the wrong set... that's okay, at least I didn't skip out. Deadlifts today!

I hear ya about stress. Yesterday was a tight one for me, I couldn't get a breath in between calls about this emergency and that emergency... none of which were actual emergencies lol. I kind of shut down when that happens, trying to be better about just dealing with it right away before it spirals into something I can't seem to handle!

The folks around here are pretty awesome for motivation and even just commiseration, so I hope it helps keep those goals coming! 

Cheers!

Hello! I'm also doing bodyweight to start, and am anxious to move to certain free weights once I feel more comfortable at the gym. I understand your feelings about crossfit. I've been to a pretty good crossfit gym, and I think there are a lot of valuable lessons to take from their workouts and strategies, but it's definitely not without its flaws, and ultimately it isn't for me. I was also planning to join the rangers eventually, and I used to be a swimmer in high school, but it's much harder to get into when you're not being forced to do 5000 yards a day 5 days a week. But I could (had to) eat so much and just maintained the same weight so easily.

Hello! I'm also doing bodyweight to start, and am anxious to move to certain free weights once I feel more comfortable at the gym. I understand your feelings about crossfit. I've been to a pretty good crossfit gym, and I think there are a lot of valuable lessons to take from their workouts and strategies, but it's definitely not without its flaws, and ultimately it isn't for me. I was also planning to join the rangers eventually, and I used to be a swimmer in high school, but it's much harder to get into when you're not being forced to do 5000 yards a day 5 days a week. But I could (had to) eat so much and just maintained the same weight so easily.

Welcome welcome, loveandallthat!  The part that is going to be the hardest for me is going to be swimming, just finding a place with a large enough pool and making the time prioritizing it over other things.  Best of luck to you! Look forward to seeing you in the Ranger threads.

Welcome, glad to have you!

And I will happily discuss the merits and/or drawbacks of CrossFit with you anytime ;)

Long Term Goals:                                                                                                              

Spoiler

200# 245# Snatch                                                                                                             

300# Clean and Jerk                                                                                                         

380# 465# Back Squat

450# 500# Deadlift

Planche

Human Flag

Front Lever

285# Log Clean and Press

1k Row under 3:20

Back Flip

Bodyweight Turkish Get-up

For physical training is of some value, but godliness has value for all things, holding promise for the present life and the life to come. 1 Timothy 4:8

Never compromise.

3 hours ago, Why not? said:

Welcome, glad to have you!

And I will happily discuss the merits and/or drawbacks of CrossFit with you anytime ;)

I would honestly enjoy that! I'll be PMing you here in a little bit to start that discussion!  Always interested in learning more.

• Like 1

Welcome, I'm new here too! I'm also starting with the bodyweight workouts, which are more than enough for me right now.

I'm going to have to find a way to do inverted rows though, I work out at home and weirdly enough I don't have a dining room table or chairs I could use. Maybe I could get a pull up bar for the doorway and use a stool. Well, it's almost warm enough outside to try an outdoor workout at a playground! I have a bit of social anxiety so I don't really want to go to the gym just yet. 

Happy birthday! 

My Character

Challenges: Current | First | 2 | 3

21 hours ago, Dreamspin said:

Woo hoo! Just found this simple solution, now I'm pumped. :applause:

DIY TRX! Neat! I bet I could pull this off in a hotel room...