Forums are back in action! ×

The Great Reading Thread of 2024

On 1/15/2024 at 3:53 PM, Gemma said:

I just sent a request (I'm c. s. rambo over there) 

Got it and accepted it!

I have not been very consistent the last few weeks on reading.  I have several books but none really spark a “I must finish this because it is soo good” feel.  I think later today I will go through this thread better and last year’s to see what ya’ll are reading and if it is up my alley. The last series that I read and very much enjoyed was the Kingkiller Chronicle and Dune.  Maybe that is my problem….the books I have right now are neither fantasy nor science fiction….

• Like 1

“You can’t wait until life isn’t hard anymore before you decide to be happy” -Nightbirde

“Dreams do not come true all by themselves. They are nourished by the bounty of hard work”  -Unknown Disney Imagineer

2024 Word

Svastha: Standing in One’s Own Power

Current Challenge:

Sepherina Focuses

Prior Challenges

Spoiler

Sepherina:

#1 , #2 , #3 , #4 , #5 , #6 , #7 , #8 , #9#10#11, #12, ,#13#14, #15#16, #17

Avery The Patient:

#1 , #2 , #3 , #4 , #5 

I just found out my favorite book (one of the many, as you know) had a limited edition cover and I am coveting it even though I have a perfectly suitable hard cover in my possession. Look at it's majesty!

SpinningSilver-donato-1500-768x512.jpg.53c145987b77f0b6123fc435d8b0f645.jpg

Read the artist's blog about it!

https://www.muddycolors.com/2020/03/what-color-is-that/

Tell me I'm not crazy for wanting it! ?

• Like 2
  • Wow 1

Level 11 Ranger

Spoiler

Previous challenges: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 89, 101112

Current challenge:  to face the trials of this life at my own speed, savoring my accomplishments, and accepting my failures with peace

15 hours ago, MaeradCase said:

Tell me I'm not crazy for wanting it! ?

It is beautiful. And I love Spinning Silver!!! But that's a bit too much $$ for me. So obviously you should get it and let me live vicariously through you!

They finally posted my syllabus, so I ordered my books last night. Got them from Better World Books, so I feel all warm and fuzzy on top of getting new books, which is possibly a dangerous combination. "I need to buy this book - I'm building a better world!"

Some of the recommended but not required reading is available on Open Library, which is nice. Didn't realize most books are only available for an hour on there, but that's okay. After an hour of studying, it's time for a break anyways.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

"For God did not give us a spirit of fear; but a spirit of power, love, and self-discipline". - 2 Timothy 1:7

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us." -Gandalf

Hello everybody! I'm new around here. 

I finally started reading Persepolis today. 

I've been working my way through a Chinese language kids book as well. 

I'm not sure where I'm going next after Persepolis. Babel is a strong contender (and seems well-liked in this thread!) I've gotten diverted from a reread project of the Young Wizard Series--Wizard's Holiday is next. Maybe I'll dive back into that after Babel. 

• Like 2
  • That's Metal 1
43 minutes ago, ViperN7 said:

I finally started reading Persepolis today. 

I've been working my way through a Chinese language kids book as well. 

I'm not sure where I'm going next after Persepolis. Babel is a strong contender (and seems well-liked in this thread!) I've gotten diverted from a reread project of the Young Wizard Series--Wizard's Holiday is next. Maybe I'll dive back into that after Babel. 

Welcome!

• Like 1

“You can’t wait until life isn’t hard anymore before you decide to be happy” -Nightbirde

“Dreams do not come true all by themselves. They are nourished by the bounty of hard work”  -Unknown Disney Imagineer

2024 Word

Svastha: Standing in One’s Own Power

Current Challenge:

Sepherina Focuses

Prior Challenges

Spoiler

Sepherina:

#1 , #2 , #3 , #4 , #5 , #6 , #7 , #8 , #9#10#11, #12, ,#13#14, #15#16, #17

Avery The Patient:

#1 , #2 , #3 , #4 , #5 

57 minutes ago, ViperN7 said:

And you immediately found your way to the best club, for the cool people. Excellent. 

Joking. (Mostly.) Welcome to the forums and to the Reading Thread! :) 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

“I've always believed that failure is non-existent. What is failure? You go to the end of the season, then you lose the Super Bowl. Is that failing? To most people, maybe. But when you're picking apart why you failed, and now you're learning from that, then is that really failing? I don't think so." - Kobe Bryant, 1978-2020. Rest in peace, great warrior.

Personal Challenges, a.k.a.The Saga of Scalyfreak: Tutorial; Ch 1; Ch 2; Ch 3; Ch 4; Ch 5; Ch 6; Intermission; Intermission II; Ch 7; Ch 8; Ch 9; Ch 10; Ch 11; Ch 12 ; Ch 13; Ch 14Ch 15; Ch 16; Ch 17; Intermission IIICh 18; Ch 19; Ch 20; Ch 21; Ch 22; Ch 23; Ch 24; Ch 25; Intermission IV; Ch 26; Ch 27; Ch 28; Ch 29; Ch 30; Ch 31; Ch 32; Ch 33; Ch 34; Ch 35; Ch 36; Ch 37; Ch 38; Ch 39; Ch 40; Intermission V; Ch 41; Ch 42; Ch 43; Ch 44; Ch 45; Ch 46; Ch 47; Intermission VI; Ch 48; Ch 49; Ch 50; Ch 51; Intermission VI

On 1/6/2024 at 12:53 PM, Artemis Prime said:

Just finished my first book of the year, Tomorrow and Tomorrow and Tomorrow. Don't remember where I discovered it, but it was on my want to read shelf and my library and it available. Was not expecting it to make me cry, but it did. A good first book.

On 1/8/2024 at 7:51 AM, Artemis Prime said:

One of the characters has a passion for theater in general, and Shakespeare in particular, so he makes lots of references throughout the book. The Tomorrow soliloquy was very well used, in my opinion. It's one of the parts that made me cry. 

One of my favorite books last year! I was listening to the audiobook walking in the woods trying not to cry because I didn't want to not be able to see the trail where I was walking...

• Like 1

In the past week I finished Apeirogon and Spaceman of Bohemia.
Started Covenant of Water (physical book) - I'm in two book groups and they both chose doorstoppers at the same time. Between Apeirogon and Covenant of Water it's almost 1200 pages ?

I'm about halfway through Solaris in ebook. I started it a while ago and keep getting distracted by other things. I now suspect it may have been one of the inspirations for Spaceman of Bohemia?

• Wow 1
On 1/2/2024 at 10:09 AM, Artemis Prime said:

I'm also in the middle of Shadow of the Fox by Julie Kagawa, which is another Christmas gift. If anyone is looking for fantasy in a non-Western setting, this is based on Japanese culture. 

I really liked this book, but I just finished the sequel last night and...meh. It's feels like the tone changed a lot between books, the characters themselves seemed to get a lot more casual, both in their dialogue and their overall attitude. I have nothing against informality itself, but it made them feel like different people to me. Still, good enough that book 3 remains on my TBR.

"For God did not give us a spirit of fear; but a spirit of power, love, and self-discipline". - 2 Timothy 1:7

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us." -Gandalf

Started Bookshops and Bonedust for my audiobook this week - much lighter than what I've been reading! But the previous book in the series gave me an irresistible craving for cinnamon rolls...

Not an advertisement,  just FYI - For those looking for more Discworld, Humble Bundle has their Discworld bundle for a few more days.

34 minutes ago, AverageFish said:

Started Bookshops and Bonedust for my audiobook this week - much lighter than what I've been reading! But the previous book in the series gave me an irresistible craving for cinnamon rolls...

The cinnamon rolls! They made me think more about Cinnabon than I had in a very long time. 

I hope you enjoy the prequel!

35 minutes ago, AverageFish said:

Not an advertisement,  just FYI - For those looking for more Discworld, Humble Bundle has their Discworld bundle for a few more days. 

Discworld! Some day I'll get back to it. I've only read a few, the latest being The Science of Discworld. (Trust Pratchett to find a way to make a book both fantasy AND nonfiction at the same time...masterful. And I truly recommend it to any science nerds out there!) 

Discworld has, perhaps unfortunately, gotten pushed quite far down my list. But this thread is renewing my excitment for it! 

• Like 1

Book people!!! I've found my spot! Thanks for starting up the thread and giving all the awesome resource @Scaly Freak! I think I might join in on the Book Riot Challenge!

I've been in a season of reading the past year and a half after I went to my first Dragon Con. My daughter was in a creative writing class at the time and we discovered the Writers, YA, and Fantasy Books tracks. We sat in on a few panels with a bunch of awesome authors and met a lot of them at a few book events and as a side effect I rediscovered my love for reading. Since then I've been just inhaling books.

January was a pretty good month for me reading-wise.

? Fourth Wing by Rebecca Yarros.

? The Warriors Path by Louis L'Amour

? Allegiant by Veronica Roth

? Butts: A Backstory by Heather Radke

? Hidden Potential by Adam Grant

? (Half of) The Shadow Rising by Robert Jordan (Libby loan ran out and now I have to wait soooo long)

? Mistborn by Brandon Sanderson

? Bookshops and Bonedust by Travis Baldree

? The Well of Ascension by Brandon Sanderson

I think this is going to be my year of Sanderson. I've never read any of his stuff until now and I'm excited to dive in all the way.

• Like 1
  • That's Metal 3

Ranger - Rheno - Rising Hero

2 hours ago, titsworth said:

Book people!!! I've found my spot! Thanks for starting up the thread and giving all the awesome resource @Scaly Freak! I think I might join in on the Book Riot Challenge!

Thank you, but I can only take credit for recreating the thread . all the resources were shared by various other nerds who participated in the Great Reading Thread of 2023. :)

Also...

Hello and welcome! Nice to meet you, and good to see you have your priorities in order and came straight to the book club ;) 

“I've always believed that failure is non-existent. What is failure? You go to the end of the season, then you lose the Super Bowl. Is that failing? To most people, maybe. But when you're picking apart why you failed, and now you're learning from that, then is that really failing? I don't think so." - Kobe Bryant, 1978-2020. Rest in peace, great warrior.

Personal Challenges, a.k.a.The Saga of Scalyfreak: Tutorial; Ch 1; Ch 2; Ch 3; Ch 4; Ch 5; Ch 6; Intermission; Intermission II; Ch 7; Ch 8; Ch 9; Ch 10; Ch 11; Ch 12 ; Ch 13; Ch 14Ch 15; Ch 16; Ch 17; Intermission IIICh 18; Ch 19; Ch 20; Ch 21; Ch 22; Ch 23; Ch 24; Ch 25; Intermission IV; Ch 26; Ch 27; Ch 28; Ch 29; Ch 30; Ch 31; Ch 32; Ch 33; Ch 34; Ch 35; Ch 36; Ch 37; Ch 38; Ch 39; Ch 40; Intermission V; Ch 41; Ch 42; Ch 43; Ch 44; Ch 45; Ch 46; Ch 47; Intermission VI; Ch 48; Ch 49; Ch 50; Ch 51; Intermission VI

On 1/24/2024 at 11:01 PM, MaeradCase said:

just found out my favorite book (one of the many, as you know) had a limited edition cover and I am coveting it even though I have a perfectly suitable hard cover in my possession. Look at it's majesty

Her books have amazing covers. 

• Like 1

the creative spelling comes as standard. Enjoy! 
A journey of thousand miles, begins with a single step - Lao Tzu

Challenge: #1#2#3#4#5#6#7#8

I'm almost finished with Persepolis. It's been quite a ride. The first part felt more like reading a textbook because I knew just about nothing of the history involved. It felt a lot more narrative from the middle onward (maybe I just finally sorted out the background info). 

I was surprised by themes of (Spoiler) 

Spoiler

-Being a teenager without social support. 

-Reverse culture shock,

-Having to deal with clueless, overbearing people while depressed. 

In particular, reverse culture shock seems to be so rarely portrayed in media. 

I'm hoping to finish it tomorrow. 

• Like 2

I have found my way back to this thread as well! Thank you for having this wonderful space on the forums!

Currently reading Legends and Lattes, A Court of Wings and Ruin, and Where Evil Lives (an RPG sourcebook). 

• Wow 1

Past Challenges: #1, #2#3#4#5#6#7#8#9#10#11#12#13#14#15#16

Current Challenge: #17

“Finish each day and be done with it. You have done what you could. Some blunders and absurdities no doubt crept in; forget them as soon as you can. Tomorrow is a new day. You shall begin it serenely and with too high a spirit to be encumbered with your old nonsense.” Ralph Waldo Emerson

1 minute ago, Sea-to-sky said:

@Sovalis How is legends and lattes? Its on my TBR list

I just started it today and read the first 12 chapters in a sitting. It is undeniably cozy, and given that I am settling into a new job as a barista (started in September) it seems very appropriate. I like the writing style and characterizations so far. For all that it’s cozy I am not finding it slow. I think you should give it a shot!

• Thanks 1
  • Wow 1

Past Challenges: #1, #2#3#4#5#6#7#8#9#10#11#12#13#14#15#16

Current Challenge: #17

“Finish each day and be done with it. You have done what you could. Some blunders and absurdities no doubt crept in; forget them as soon as you can. Tomorrow is a new day. You shall begin it serenely and with too high a spirit to be encumbered with your old nonsense.” Ralph Waldo Emerson

12 minutes ago, Sovalis said:

. I think you should give it a shot!

Always on the lookout for Cozy reads. Good for when im tired and need something less chewy. Will definetly move it up the list ?

• Like 1

the creative spelling comes as standard. Enjoy! 
A journey of thousand miles, begins with a single step - Lao Tzu

Challenge: #1#2#3#4#5#6#7#8

On 1/2/2024 at 9:51 AM, The Most Loathed said:

My wife and I are both reading The Power Broker along with Roman Mars and Elliot Kalan on 99% Invisible. It's a year long project, about 100 pages per month. I'll dip in and out of this book on pace with the podcast. 

Oooh! What's the podcast doing with the title? I did Power Broker a few years ago and found it fairly impressive.

Level 38 [Raveling Bard]

Finished listening to Unbroken a few days ago. Really enjoyed how it was written. The reality of everything that happened was eye-opening,  and the end brought some tears to my eyes. As heavy as the topic could be sometimes, there were definitely parts that made me laugh.

• Like 1

Sunrunner | LVL 0  *(0%)

“It was difficult to think about worshiping God when so many things were going wrong. Or maybe, she thought, this is the most important time to pray.”
Trisha White Priebe, The Glass Castle

Books in Progress: Just as I am (20%), An Echo in the Darkness (14%)

Inktober52 | 2024 Books completed: Unbroken

Spoiler

Roadmaps: 2024,2023 | Previous Challenges: 20,19,18,17,16,15,14,13,12,11,10,9,8,7,6,5,4,3,2,1

11 hours ago, Laghail said:

Oooh! What's the podcast doing with the title? I did Power Broker a few years ago and found it fairly impressive.

It's periodic episodes of 99% Invisible. 

We're not very far in yet and you can listen to the episodes anytime so catch up at your own pace or do it in the future sometime

You can't spell Slaughter without laughter

On 2/11/2024 at 2:50 PM, Sea-to-sky said:

Always on the lookout for Cozy reads. Good for when im tired and need something less chewy. Will definetly move it up the list ?

I second L&L and the prequel Bookshops and Bonedust as well. Just a fantastic read! I never read "cozy" books before that, but now I want to mix those in between each heavy book or long series. 

• Like 1

Ranger - Rheno - Rising Hero

On 2/11/2024 at 3:50 PM, Sea-to-sky said:

Might I recommend The Van Gogh Cafe by Cynthia Rylant. A colleague lent it to me recently, and it was a magical little read. 

• Like 3