Whisper: Subtraction via Addition

Long weekend, lots of people, lots of talking. Two rounds of letting people know I'm looking for a new church and why. Lots of people being sad and angry for me.

I still feel more than a bit torn. I could stay and just dress "normal" when I play. I could stay and dress how I want and keep playing and say FIE on anyone that has a problem with it. I would be supported either way. 

But I think of the last time I played, seeing my reflection in a car, removing earrings and bracelets and binding my hair and wishing I had worn a more "normal" shirt... and I can't.

It's just clothes. It's so stupid for me to make a fuss about says no one but me. It's so stupid that anyone else would make a fuss says almost everyone I've talked to. 

I don't feel like I can play the violin there any more. I need to play the violin in worship. So I need to find a new place to do that.

Saturday was painting and telling the teacher. She was worried I wouldn't come to painting any more (it's at the church) but I told her I would still paint with her.

Sunday I went to the same church as last week. It was nice and is listed as a possibility, but I'll try some other's before deciding. 

After church I had lunch with a small church group originally formed 15 years ago to support me while I was going through my legal troubles. It's like a cluster of surrogate parents. Telling them I'm looking was hard. They're angry, for me, that stupid people are robbing the church of my talents. 

I haven't been there in two weeks. People are already asking one of my "mothers" about me.

We talked about where I'm going to go. Told them I was looking at a list of "queer friendly" churches in the area. The now retired pastor said to look for churches using "open and affirming". He doesn't approve of the ELCA, but is encouraging me to look at the Episcopalian churches in the area.

We also talked about books.

I'm supposed to get And He Sent Leanness

Others are looking at The Soul of Shame, but I'm advised maybe not now on that one.

Other interesting sounding books: God on Mute and If Jesus was Serious 

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

We are not sinners trespassing in the garden of an angry God.

We are prodigals come home; fully seen and deeply loved.

Spoiler

On 10/5/2024 at 2:17 PM, Whisper said:
  Hide contents

IMG_2796.jpg.ae61876876568fb85ac265256d76a143.jpg

I'm a little upset about those pants, they came out so beautifully that they're giving me clothing compersion, and that's the only word that will accurately describe my emotions atm. However god does kill at least one kitten every time someone uses poly neologisms, so, RIP kittens but those pants are amazing.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Level 38 [Raveling Bard]

@Laghail I lied. Apparently I can't post pictures to a message. NO ONE ELSE LOOK! This is his consolation prize for listening to me ramble.

Spoiler

I thought I said not to look? Really, now you have to reply and confess your sin.

20241007_201524.thumb.jpg.194cb110cc3c0945472ea9a5289642d5.jpg

• Haha 1

Spoiler

12 hours ago, Whisper said:

NO ONE ELSE LOOK!

Reveal hidden contents

I thought I said not to look? Really, now you have to reply and confess your sin.

eric-foreman-guilty.gif

• Haha 1

TimovieMan: funnier than you think he is; not as funny as he thinks he is...

Active challenges: Don't log, remain sensible | Walk to Mordor - (spreadsheet) | DailyDare | Weight Loss PVP 10/12 lbs in 10/12 weeks - (spreadsheet)

Old threads: Battle log | Challenge I | IIIIIIV | V | VI | VII | VIII | IX | X | XI | XII | XIII | XIV | XV | XVI | XVII | XVIII | XIX | XX | XXI | XXII | XXIII

gloom, Despair AGONY

I just caught up with Super Supportive, I won't be able to binge it any more

Crying sad face GIF on GIFER - by Shalirin

New chapter should post tomorrow, but in a way, this chapter was also a perfect stopping point.  I hope one day the author makes this a printed book series, and I hope that the chapter I just read will be the last chapter of one of the books. 

I haven't been super into reading something in a long time, and this has just been so amazing. I've laughed, I've cried, I've worried and celebrated.  Just, ah, so so good

• Like 1

Spoiler

16 hours ago, Whisper said:

@Laghail I lied. Apparently I can't post pictures to a message. NO ONE ELSE LOOK! This is his consolation prize for listening to me ramble.

Hide contents

Goorgeous piece! Lordy. I know the author is dead and I'm not supposed to ask about what goes into a piece, but what all went into the piece? 

35 minutes ago, Whisper said:

gloom, Despair AGONY

I just caught up with Super Supportive, I won't be able to binge it any more

New chapter should post tomorrow, but in a way, this chapter was also a perfect stopping point.  I hope one day the author makes this a printed book series, and I hope that the chapter I just read will be the last chapter of one of the books. 

I haven't been super into reading something in a long time, and this has just been so amazing. I've laughed, I've cried, I've worried and celebrated.  Just, ah, so so good

Solidarity!!

• If you want to join the patreon, you can get access to 5-10 chapters that are ahead of where you are, but that just resets your problem by 5-10 chapters and then AGONY again.
  • Liam, the Serial Fiction pusher / fiancé, has titles to suggest that could make the hurting stop, but he wants to know what you enjoyed about Super Supportive before he throws anything else at you (he stole that move from the queer ladies who work at our local comic store. Expert pushers, all of them).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Level 38 [Raveling Bard]

14 minutes ago, Laghail said:

Goorgeous piece! Lordy. I know the author is dead and I'm not supposed to ask about what goes into a piece, but what all went into the piece? 

Thank you. It's my proudest creation thus far.  Creation or Supplication?

The initial inspiration was Millenium Tree by Josephine Wall. Might also be tree of life? (why is wayfarer the best link I can find right now?)

My thought was strongly on the idea of a World Tree while I was working on it.  Hard to tell, but I was really trying to get the shoreline of Alaska and Russia, like the tree was growing from the north pole. The sun, the moon, the 4 seasons, the hands, reaching in... what?

47 minutes ago, Laghail said:

If you want to join the patreon

Going to join the Patreon. This work needs to be supported and encouraged!

48 minutes ago, Laghail said:

Liam, the Serial Fiction pusher / fiancé, has titles to suggest that could make the hurting stop, but he wants to know what you enjoyed about Super Supportive before he throws anything else at you (he stole that move from the queer ladies who work at our local comic store. Expert pushers, all of them).

Hard question. My normal reaction to "superheroes and space wizards" would not be to go "sign me up!" 

I think the author's voice was the biggest part.  The story is interesting and often compelling, and you hurt with and for the poor boy in the bubble. But then, there's a bark of laughter as the author gives you a bit of unexpected, but never miss placed, wit.  There wasn't much humor on the moon, and there shouldn't have been, but where it was, it was perfect. And you just had to CARE about him and Kibby and everything is wrong and getting wronger, and the lab gets blown up by a GIANT DEMON (she's not that big). I don't know how to explain it, but there's a button in my head that goes squee, and this story just stayed leaning on the squee button.  Tiny snake man! TINY SNAKE! And Stu, millimeters from his nose after he opens his eyes when saying he doesn't like his spell. And ass-abused learning cushions. And Mother giving him hot cocoa, and mad at Earth for copying.  And the game of hide the magic string when the healer is trying to attach things to him. And even the antagonists, you get to understand even if you don't like them.  Poor Hazel, never had a chance on Earth of being a decent person, maybe some desperately needed consequences will help her grow. Also, any lawyer worth their salt could have gotten her off, it was clearly self-defense, but Grandwitches secrets must be kept. And Jacob, didn't take Fragile Atmosphere, but gets to see what it looks like.  

Spoiler

And Boe, and Victor and catspace. And Gorgon's crickets and Kibbie's trip to the museum. And Stuart pelting him with forest litter before introducing him to one of his mothers. And the whole "I watched you watch your sister die and you don't know it" dynamic. And even the nightmares, because that boy should be having nightmares after all this shit! And damn straight the adults are worried about him! And Stu knowing how to offer the help he needs, and him accepting. The gym stuff is cool too.

Spoiler

An idea occurs to me. More spoilery than most of what I've said about Super Supportive

Spoiler

He could target the post drop! The system is more of a person than the post drop (no disrespect, I'll flush a toilet in its honor). If Alden can figure out how to target the System and get it to cooperate, he could use it as his entruster! Would probably have to be an emergency situation, but I'm fairly sure all of his argold came in the form of bad pennies, so there should be a chance to test this at any moment.

Spoiler

18 hours ago, Whisper said:

And NesiCard man! How could I forget NesiCard man?!

Screenshot2024-10-09105357.jpg.945948c10b4acb611ca7de5f8d0a95a6.jpg

Nerdy christian tattoo rabbit hole:

Spoiler

[διποδα ψιλα] or [Featherless Biped] in Attic Greek would also make a positively bitching tattoo. I know @Ada and @DarK_RaideR get cramps in their soul every time an American gets a Greek tattoo, but I think their pain is worth it. Sorta a humanist cognate of "I heart John Piper" in Greek.

Thank you. It's my proudest creation thus far.  Creation or Supplication?

The initial inspiration was Millenium Tree by Josephine Wall. Might also be tree of life? (why is wayfarer the best link I can find right now?)

My thought was strongly on the idea of a World Tree while I was working on it.  Hard to tell, but I was really trying to get the shoreline of Alaska and Russia, like the tree was growing from the north pole. The sun, the moon, the 4 seasons, the hands, reaching in... what?

It comes through! The contrasts are striking for sure!

Going to join the Patreon. This work needs to be supported and encouraged!

You're a kind art lover, which makes sense. You know the work that goes into these things.

Hard question. My normal reaction to "superheroes and space wizards" would not be to go "sign me up!" 

I think the author's voice was the biggest part.  The story is interesting and often compelling, and you hurt with and for the poor boy in the bubble. But then, there's a bark of laughter as the author gives you a bit of unexpected, but never miss placed, wit.  There wasn't much humor on the moon, and there shouldn't have been, but where it was, it was perfect. And you just had to CARE about him and Kibby and everything is wrong and getting wronger, and the lab gets blown up by a GIANT DEMON (she's not that big). I don't know how to explain it, but there's a button in my head that goes squee, and this story just stayed leaning on the squee button.  Tiny snake man! TINY SNAKE! And Stu, millimeters from his nose after he opens his eyes when saying he doesn't like his spell. And ass-abused learning cushions. And Mother giving him hot cocoa, and mad at Earth for copying.  And the game of hide the magic string when the healer is trying to attach things to him. And even the antagonists, you get to understand even if you don't like them.  Poor Hazel, never had a chance on Earth of being a decent person, maybe some desperately needed consequences will help her grow. Also, any lawyer worth their salt could have gotten her off, it was clearly self-defense, but Grandwitches secrets must be kept. And Jacob, didn't take Fragile Atmosphere, but gets to see what it looks like.  

17 hours ago, Whisper said:

And Boe, and Victor and catspace. And Gorgon's crickets and Kibbie's trip to the museum. And Stuart pelting him with forest litter before introducing him to one of his mothers. And the whole "I watched you watch your sister die and you don't know it" dynamic. And even the nightmares, because that boy should be having nightmares after all this shit! And damn straight the adults are worried about him! And Stu knowing how to offer the help he needs, and him accepting. The gym stuff is cool too.

Big hugs. We would both die for Tiny Snake. I'm having feels just reading that. Liam recommends "This used to be about dungeons" for the human scale adventure and discussion and gentle humor that you enjoyed in Super Supportive. And "In Other Lands" for similar levels of authorial audacity in executing a plot that knew exactly what tropes it is subverting, all while having the same "warm and clever and doing their best" feel between the main characters. Warnings:

• "Used to be about dungeons" will make you hungry as you read about their constant cooking, baking, and together meals, similar to "Delicious in Dungeons".
  • "In Other Lands" this fan art is an extremely accurate portrayal of the vibes.

image.jpeg.9c96814e6d450b23e967467282df29ff.jpegimage.jpeg.b6791237c37f3ec2256327e33f4fdc0e.jpeg

16 hours ago, Whisper said:

An idea occurs to me. More spoilery than most of what I've said about Super Supportive

Hide contents

He could target the post drop! The system is more of a person than the post drop (no disrespect, I'll flush a toilet in its honor). If Alden can figure out how to target the System and get it to cooperate, he could use it as his entruster! Would probably have to be an emergency situation, but I'm fairly sure all of his argold came in the form of bad pennies, so there should be a chance to test this at any moment.

Iiiinteresting! I wonder if the author has commented on that possibility on the discord. I'm sure fans would love to hear about it. 

• Thanks 1

Level 38 [Raveling Bard]

4 minutes ago, Laghail said:

In Other Lands" this fan art is an extremely accurate portrayal of the vibes.

Whelp, I'm sold! The look, the smirk, the pink floyd shirt! Rojo is done with Rubio's foolishness and Morena loves it.

Thank you Liam! Not books I'm likely to have picked up on my own, which is why recommendations are so good. Ok, if the fan art replaced the cover art on Other Lands, I would probably have picked it up.

• Like 1

Spoiler

25 minutes ago, Whisper said:

Whelp, I'm sold! The look, the smirk, the pink floyd shirt! Rojo is done with Rubio's foolishness and Morena loves it.

Thank you Liam! Not books I'm likely to have picked up on my own, which is why recommendations are so good. Ok, if the fan art replaced the cover art on Other Lands, I would probably have picked it up.

Liam says you're very welcome and the cover art that you're looking for is Rainbow Rowell's Simon Snow series. Simon Snow, or, what happens after the Harry Potter series ends and the chosen one has trauma, a blank resume, and an foe-yay thing with Draco Malfoy:

image.jpeg.0f523f3985f18635b60f928ab8e416fc.jpegimage.jpeg.8fc49527d01682915046fee0c5867973.jpegimage.jpeg.b23dc4b75816cb1199f4d41f860c7c75.jpeg

• Like 1

Level 38 [Raveling Bard]

10 minutes ago, Chesire said:

First, I confess I looked.  And darn it I'm glad I did.  So there.

I wanted people to look. I was so thrilled by Tim's response lol

I've posted that painting on here before, but it's been a couple years. 

Spoiler

I am now ready for this challenge to be over, for I have decided what I want to do with the next challenge: Expanding Islands of Order in a Sea of Chaos!

Imma try a theme, and narrative!  Alis-art’h working to reclaim Moon Thegund  aka, my apartment! Pick up everything and slam it back down to drive out the chaos!

I'm happy that I stayed active and engaged throughout this challenge, even if I did stop the actually tracking part of mine. Not vanishing counts as a win!

So many exclamation points this morning! I think I'm feeling good!

I think I've finally found a solution to the war between my disgust at having facial hair, and my loathing of shaving.  I was looking at electric razors and trying to decide what to get. Prices ranging from the teens to the hundreds. Didn't want something crappy, didn't want something needlessly expensive. Looked at some reviews and ended up getting something on the cheaper end of the spectrum, and I'm so increadibly happy I did. Ordered a Phillips One Blade, it arrived before I got up this morning. Probably the best shaving experience I've ever had. 

• Like 5
  • That's Metal 3

Spoiler

1 hour ago, Snarkyfishguts said:

You are much more joyful at the end of this challenge than the beginning. I call that a success! You are not shying away from taking chances and you’re moving forward. Success!

I second SFG's thoughts on this!

• Thanks 1

daily dare 49 48  47  46 45 44  43 42 41  40 39 38 37 36 35  34 32  31 30  29  28 27  26  25 24 23 22 21 20 19  18  17 16 15 14 13 12 11 10 9 #8 #7  #6  #5 #4 #3  #2 #1