Forums are back in action! ×

World of Warcraft nerds, anyone?

Mgn

I play for a month or two every year. I have a 48 Gnome Fire Mage that I've leveled solely with questing. I've had quite a few people tell me I 'should' do this or that... but, that's all I really like to do. I think the art and music are gorgeous, and I'm not really into it for the stats. I've always wondered about joining a roleplaying guild... any thoughts or insight?

Here's what you should do.  You ready for this?  It's simple: HAVE FUN!

As for roleplaying, honestly, I know nothing about it.  I only know one person who RPs in wow, and I don't really talk to her (in game) very much at all.  

"Someone ever tries to kill you, you try to kill 'em right back." - Captain Malcolm Reynolds

Current Challenge

Also, I Agree With Tank™

I play for a month or two every year. I have a 48 Gnome Fire Mage that I've leveled solely with questing. I've had quite a few people tell me I 'should' do this or that... but, that's all I really like to do. I think the art and music are gorgeous, and I'm not really into it for the stats. I've always wondered about joining a roleplaying guild... any thoughts or insight?

Here's what you should do.  You ready for this?  It's simple: HAVE FUN!

As for roleplaying, honestly, I know nothing about it.  I only know one person who RPs in wow, and I don't really talk to her (in game) very much at all.  

90% of my enjoyment from this game is Transmog.  I love brainstorming and then farming different thematic outfits for my characters.  Currently farming the last piece of my Enhancement transmog set (Sanctified Frost Witch chest from ICC25H, just need the bloody token to drop) and Doom's Edge, an ultra low drop axe from BWL (which I actually had on my Paladin back in Vanilla... wish I had been playing Horde then!).  After that I get a great deal of joy from running old content, heroics, and LFR even after they offer no upgrades.  I would love to find a social/minor raiding guild to enjoy some Normal difficulty raiding, but it would need to have a very relaxed attendance policy with my job.

So don't let anyone judge you.  Play the game however you want to!

• Like 1

[Level ??] Rurik, the Thunderer

Class: Stormborn War-Shaman (Path of Giants Barbarian/Conquest Paladin/Elemental Domain Cleric)

BRUTALITY 11 | FINESSE 10 | VIGOR 11 | INSIGHT 14 | WILL 13

Equipment:  Studded leather armor, war club, plus adventurer's pack containing rations, rope, and nature-based potions. 

"Rangers have to at least give up on pants. It's a special rule we enacted after Rurik became a Guild Leader.” – DarK_RaideR

"Did I just get my ass kicked by a member of Metallica meets History Channel's Vikings?" - Wild Wolf

"By the Well-Oiled-and-Meticulously-Groomed Beard of Rurik!" - Tanktimus the Encourager

Hello! I'm currently taking a break from WoW, but here is is a list of my alts:

Cleatorus the Crazy Cat Lady (Main)

100 Draenei Frost DK

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/character/proudmoore/Cleatorus/advanced

Ignore my non-matchng gear. I usually have it transmogrified to the Magma Plated Battle Armor 

Prìestiality the Patient

92 Gnome Holy Preist

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/character/proudmoore/Pr%C3%ACestiality/advanced

Kessler

90 Worgen Beast Master Hunter

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/character/proudmoore/Kessl%C3%ABr/advanced
Kessler is solely for collection purposes, so farming pets/mounts/gear. 

I have to say that after MoP I was really impressed with WoD. I love the garrison stuff (well, except for it being never ending and almost chore-like), the awesome new world with all of it's hidden surprises, and the new/revamped dungeons/raids are fantastic. That said, it's felt so grindy and boring lately that i've decided to take a  break indefinitely. 

• Like 3

Nothing is older than yesterday  | Inspired to be better by my baby girl  |  DPS in game and IRL  

Main Goal: 205lbs to 170lbs Current: 180lbs

Daily Battle Log

I have to say that after MoP I was really impressed with WoD. I love the garrison stuff (well, except for it being never ending and almost chore-like), the awesome new world with all of it's hidden surprises, and the new/revamped dungeons/raids are fantastic. That said, it's felt so grindy and boring lately that i've decided to take a  break indefinitely. 

Same story, same boat.  WoD is an excellent xpac but I'm lacking a lot of drive to enjoy the game these days.  Maybe I'm too busy or perhaps I'm starting to feel my age and have outgrown Warcraft, but the carefree love I used to feel toward the game has definitely ebbed.  It's a bit like Christmas doesn't hold the same excitement as you get older.

But I still hop in game from time to time, if only to ride or fly around and enjoy the scenery, stories, and my characters who've been with me through so much over the years!

• Like 1

Class: Stormborn War-Shaman (Path of Giants Barbarian/Conquest Paladin/Elemental Domain Cleric)

Equipment:  Studded leather armor, war club, plus adventurer's pack containing rations, rope, and nature-based potions. 

"Rangers have to at least give up on pants. It's a special rule we enacted after Rurik became a Guild Leader.” – DarK_RaideR

"Did I just get my ass kicked by a member of Metallica meets History Channel's Vikings?" - Wild Wolf

"By the Well-Oiled-and-Meticulously-Groomed Beard of Rurik!" - Tanktimus the Encourager

OOO SO MANY WOW nerds. I sadly cannot play it any more. WOW did horrible things to me I played from vanilla through Wrath and hit some endgame in Cata before quiting completely. It took over my life. I've also noticed that I dont have the time to invest in MMORPGS anymore I gale TSO a chance and that only lasted two weeks because I just didnt have the time to invest into it, being a responsible adult and all that jazz :nevreness: 

• Like 1

Level 1 Nord  Epic Quest

STR 3 | DEX 3 | STA 2 | CON 3 | WIS 3.5 | CHA 4

Original Challenge | 1ST | 2nd | joining the bebopReturn to the rangers |

Spoiler

"They wouldn't mind a corpse of you. Now, you can luxuriate in a nice jail cell, but if your hand touches metal, I swear, by my pretty floral bonnet, I will end you." - Mal

It is certainly a balancing act. As is any enjoyable hobby. Especially with a game as story and content heavy as WoW. It's not something you can just cruise through in a few hours. It can become almost routine, getting on once a night to play for a few hours, and even more-so if you have a raid schedule. The well organized person can handle that easily but i've never been well organized and found myself feeling like I was too far behind gear level wise and couldn't put in the time required to be progression raiding anymore. Now, when my sub is active, I get on to enjoy older content and maybe make some progress on my main...but realistically I can't be a good as I want because I do have responsibilities I have to put first. No shame in that :3

• Like 4

Nothing is older than yesterday  | Inspired to be better by my baby girl  |  DPS in game and IRL  

Main Goal: 205lbs to 170lbs Current: 180lbs

Daily Battle Log

It is certainly a balancing act. As is any enjoyable hobby. Especially with a game as story and content heavy as WoW. It's not something you can just cruise through in a few hours. It can become almost routine, getting on once a night to play for a few hours, and even more-so if you have a raid schedule. The well organized person can handle that easily but i've never been well organized and found myself feeling like I was too far behind gear level wise and couldn't put in the time required to be progression raiding anymore. Now, when my sub is active, I get on to enjoy older content and maybe make some progress on my main...but realistically I can't be a good as I want because I do have responsibilities I have to put first. No shame in that :3

QFT.  

"Someone ever tries to kill you, you try to kill 'em right back." - Captain Malcolm Reynolds

Current Challenge

Also, I Agree With Tank™

It is, and one I found I couldn't manage/come to terms with. I'm a very all or nothing person. If I'm playing, I'm striving to be the best raiding tank that I can. This includes striving for top gear, prepping to the max before every raid, raiding multiple times a week, helping other people in dungeon runs trying to gear up, etc. For me it became 4 hours a night 5 times a week, which became undoable with ym adult life and fitness goals.

It also became a bit of an addiction. PVP has WoW as a subject in its comics this week and just reading them makes me itch to play.

• Like 1

Massrandir, Barkûn, Swolórin, The Whey Pilgrim
500 / 330 / 625
Challenges: 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 31 32 34 35 36 39 41 42 45 46 47 48 49 Current Challenge
"No citizen has a right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable. " ~ Socrates
"Friends don't let friends squat high." ~ Chad Wesley Smith
"It's a dangerous business, Brodo, squatting to the floor. You step into the rack, and if you don't keep your form, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to." ~ Gainsdalf

It is, and one I found I couldn't manage/come to terms with. I'm a very all or nothing person. If I'm playing, I'm striving to be the best raiding tank that I can. This includes striving for top gear, prepping to the max before every raid, raiding multiple times a week, helping other people in dungeon runs trying to gear up, etc. For me it became 4 hours a night 5 times a week, which became undoable with ym adult life and fitness goals.

It also became a bit of an addiction. PVP has WoW as a subject in its comics this week and just reading them makes me itch to play.

I am similar, but mine was 6-8 hours a night after work. my home life and working out became almost non-existent. My marriage was taking a dark turn, but I finally woke up from this haze and saw what my life had become and said no more. Then cata came out. I picked it up because I knew a few people who were playing again also, but once I hit end game I just lost interest in the game itself.

Level 1 Nord  Epic Quest

Spoiler

"They wouldn't mind a corpse of you. Now, you can luxuriate in a nice jail cell, but if your hand touches metal, I swear, by my pretty floral bonnet, I will end you." - Mal

A bunch of my guildies who can't commit to real raiding anymore get together once a week to raid the new stuff just for fun. It's struck a really nice balance, I think, in that it's not stab-me-in-the-eyes-now LFR but we are still hilariously bad and good-natured about it. My hardcore raider self disappeared when I rediscovered exercise. :P

• Like 2

Raptron, alot assassin

67666564636261605958 575655545352515049484746454443424140393837363534333231302928272625242322212019181716151413121110987 | 6 | 5 | 4 | 3 | 2 | 1

I am similar, but mine was 6-8 hours a night after work. my home life and working out became almost non-existent. My marriage was taking a dark turn, but I finally woke up from this haze and saw what my life had become and said no more. Then cata came out. I picked it up because I knew a few people who were playing again also, but once I hit end game I just lost interest in the game itself.

This happened to me as well.  I wasn't married, but it was a catalyst for breaking up with my then girlfriend.  We were headed towards a breakup even without wow, but it certainly sped the process along.  

I've since started playing again, with the promise to myself that I would not let it interfere with Real Life.  If it does, it's gone.  So far, so good.  

A bunch of my guildies who can't commit to real raiding anymore get together once a week to raid the new stuff just for fun. It's struck a really nice balance, I think, in that it's not stab-me-in-the-eyes-now LFR but we are still hilariously bad and good-natured about it. My hardcore raider self disappeared when I rediscovered exercise. :tongue:

This doesn't sound like a bad compromise at all. 

• Like 2

Current Challenge

Also, I Agree With Tank™

I've since started playing again, with the promise to myself that I would not let it interfere with Real Life.  If it does, it's gone.  So far, so good.  

thats a great system if you can abide by it.

• Like 1

Level 1 Nord  Epic Quest

Spoiler

I love PvP on my hunter.  I loathe PvP on everything else, although I've enjoyed playing my Death Knight and Warrior through PvP in the past.  I'm just not mentally prepared to slog through the content to 100 again.

Since we're all waxing nostalgic on the days of Warcraft of yore, who remembers these days?

20050202l.jpg

That first 1000g and all the materials I had to farm for my vanilla Paladin's epic charger were a nightmare.

• Like 4

I only made it to like 30 in vanilla because I went to boot camp and then stopped playing until BC came out. So i didnt feel the pain of that vanilla grind.

Level 1 Nord  Epic Quest

Spoiler

I only made it to like 30 in vanilla because I went to boot camp and then stopped playing until BC came out. So i didnt feel the pain of that vanilla grind.

Strange similarity here.  I started playing Warcraft the week before I went off to boot in 2005. 

It was almost all I thought about while I was away... well, when I wasn't so overwhelmed and overtired that I couldn't think at all.

• Like 2

During BC I was a rolling a druid in a raid guild running a couple of days tanking or off tanking and a couple main healing.  I pretty much had to go on about 4-5 raids and do my dailies well... daily.  It got to be almost as stressful as having a job and since I was in graduate school and working on my dissertation I decided to take a coupel months off.  During that time lighting struck my computer (and nothing else in the house was damaged) and I never went back. 

• Like 1

"For us, there is no spring. Just the wind that smells fresh before the storm."

Just remember that Scooty Puff jr sucks!

HYPE CITY, PEOPLE!

Pretty excited for Artifacts, Class Halls, and Demon Hunters.  Even the new continent looks pretty decent, even if its silhouette is vaguely reminiscent of a place we're already occupying.

Strange, that.

• Like 1

Been playing since vanilla WoW here.  I have the little statue to prove it...lmao.  They got a lot of my moneys.  :greedy_dollars:

Garmaj 100 Hunter (Survival)

Soladrimasth 100 Warlock (Destro)

...and many more of varying levels...

GM of Banjaxed Brawlers

Lightningoof US Server (Horde Toons)

Jamestrion 93 Paladin (Ret)

Emerald Dream US Server (Alliance Toons)

• Like 2

-Kinger

I leave this as a declaration of intent, so no one will be confused.

One: "Si vis pacem, para bellum."  If you want peace, prepare for war. 

Two: The old me is dead...he died with his old habits.  The new me will be stronger, faster, sharper, better.

Pretty excited for Artifacts, Class Halls, and Demon Hunters.  Even the new continent looks pretty decent, even if its silhouette is vaguely reminiscent of a place we're already occupying.

This is kinda how it went for me:

Them: You can wield the Ashbringer, and.....

Me: DONE!  SIGN ME UP!!

Them: but there's more!

Me: Don't care.  Ashbringer.

Them: New class, new honor system, new continent

Me: ASHBRINGER!!!!!!!!!!!

EDIT: I've mained a paladin since Vanilla.  It's about damn time. 

Been playing since vanilla WoW here.  I have the little statue to prove it...lmao.  They got a lot of my moneys.  :greedy_dollars:

I love your cunning hat!   :D

• Like 1

Current Challenge

Also, I Agree With Tank™

LMAO...man walks down the street in this hat, people know he's not afraid of anything.  :lol:

• Like 1

-Kinger

I leave this as a declaration of intent, so no one will be confused.

One: "Si vis pacem, para bellum."  If you want peace, prepare for war. 

Two: The old me is dead...he died with his old habits.  The new me will be stronger, faster, sharper, better.

And the cycle continues. Of course I'll be back to play a demon hunter.

It was like the developers were sitting down at the last quarterly meeting and despairing over the sub loss as of late.  One keen fellow pipes up and says, "I know what will save this game.  Let them be Illidan!"

And everyone around the table began to cheer.

This is kinda how it went for me:

Them: You can wield the Ashbringer, and.....

Me: DONE!  SIGN ME UP!!

Them: but there's more!

Me: Don't care.  Ashbringer.

Them: New class, new honor system, new continent

Me: ASHBRINGER!!!!!!!!!!!

EDIT: I've mained a paladin since Vanilla.  It's about damn time. 

It almost made me want to play my Paladin again.  Almost.

I'm hoping the artifact bow has a gun skin or at least something less Elvish.   Still it's a really cool idea.

I'm sold on the Class Halls.  Pretty stoked for the inevitable Hunter's Lodge!

• Like 1

I think I'm the only WoW-ie that isn't hype about the xpac. Ah, more Burning Legion content again, yay. (Which reminds me of Shadowmoon Valley grinding all over again) Illidan clones everywhere, yay. Everyone being able to wield ultra legendary Doomhammer... yay...

:(

None of the new stuff really made me go "Ooo!!"

The overhaul on PVP intrigued me a little but I probably won't play again. Then again I said that about WoD, and played for about 3 months!

• Like 1

Tell me, if you had the strength to take another step, could you do it?

Level ?? Bard & Monk of the Furious Heart

STR.55  DEX.43 STA.48 CON.51 WIS.53 CHA.65