Forums are back in action! ×

NerdHammer - Light in Shadow

Just now, WhiteGhost said:

Drat! I had a frieghter full of enough Khyber crystal to fund a small armada.

Lol I am sure you did! Once I get this organized and set up properly I will try to include week 0 stuff in the future.

• Like 1

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us." - J.R.R Tolkien

"Progress, not perfection."

"Persist, Pivot, or Concede." - Matthew McConaughey

"Today I will do what others won't, so tomorrow I can accomplish what others can't."

Rants, Thoughts, and Workouts-->Battle Log | The Improvening (Current Challenge)

2 hours ago, cn3wton said:

Everyone should begin tracking starting yesterday (the start of the challenge). No week zero this time around. If you did not track yesterdays workouts you can do that now.

looks like i need to clear my board and start tracking with tonight's workout.

• Like 1
21 hours ago, Elennare said:

I will be happy to bring my Legion Astartes as mercenaries again!

I'm on vacation currently, so probably won't be able to add a whole lot this week, but I should be able to pick it up more once I'm home.

Anyone looking to hire? :)

I am, if you're still looking for a faction! :) 

So, after my Epic Rangerly Weekend at BreakPoint, I'm finally back. I'm only counting the stuff we did on the Sunday, but they crammed a lot of stuff into that day (up at first light, not hard to do when sleeping out in the open!) but I really don't know how to calculate it all (rope traverses, short swim across the river, a load of other stuff) , and I don't really want to put it under 'workouts' because 100 points seems a little low for something that will require a good two days recovery, and that I can easily achieve 500 points with my normal runs/lifting workouts. So, I just put in the cardio, 10 miles over the course of the day, a lot of which was us being chased. Did you know it's bloody hard to sprint through woodland and keep your balance? :P (we had Bergens on but not with any weights. Just personal kit.) @cn3wton, I leave it to you to judge if that's okay. 

• Like 2

“All You Have To Decide Is What To Do With The Time That Is Given To You.” - Gandalf

Journey to the Mountain of Knowledge - Chapter One: A Pocketful of hope (current challenge)

Spoiler

Previous Challenges: 1|2|3|4|5|6|7|8|9|10|11|12|13 1415|16|17|18|19|20|21|22|23|24|25|26|2728 29|30 A Bold New Year   Rhovaniel forges herself anew 

The Chronicles of Rhovaniel, Dúnedain Ranger: Vol I, Vol IIVol III, Interim| Vol IV|Vol V 

Alright due to process of elimination all mercenaries are now assigned to a faction.

Faction leaders you have until tomorrow night to place your home base on the map!

• Like 1

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us." - J.R.R Tolkien

"Today I will do what others won't, so tomorrow I can accomplish what others can't."

Rants, Thoughts, and Workouts-->Battle Log | The Improvening (Current Challenge)

Will there be a new intro on which to base our narratives, or just assume some kind of continuation of the last round?

• Like 1
HUNTER OF ALL THINGS SHINY

Intro Thread   Challenge Log   Bodyweight Exercise Library   Recipe Book   Shuffle Club 

Level 2 Ninja

Strength: 13 Intelligence: 14 Wisdom: 6 Dexterity:14 Constitution: 12 Charisma: 11

27 minutes ago, WhiteGhost said:

Will there be a new intro on which to base our narratives, or just assume some kind of continuation of the last round?

This is a continuation of the last round for narrative purposes.

• Like 1

Samuel ran through the streets of his city crouched low to avoid incoming fire. 

The locust's where supposed to be a distant memory. But they had returned, and seem to be far worse than they ever where before. However just like every gear from the wars, he had been prepared. He grabbed his old gear and hoofed it into the street. Despite being retired for quite some time he had not lost a step. His trusty boltok pistol hung at his side, its weight felt right and he rarely went without it. 

He had grouped up with gears who had entered the city to try to save the citizens and followed their lead. There weren't many of them left however, and leadership had quickly fallen to him. Samuel was dead set on sealing the main breach in a nearby stadium, and his small team would succeed. They had to.

His team worked their way down the street through overlapping layers of covering fire. But they where making good progress. Only a little farther and he would break off with two promising gears. Delivering the payload to the breach while the rest of the team drew the enemies attention.

Seeing his objective in sight he motioned for his team to break off. A locust stepped out from  nowhere with a gnasher, taking out the man nearest him. Samuel yelled and tackled the filthy brute. Drawing his boltok he put one between it's eyes and moved on. He was already down a man. 

Slinking through the stadium he could hear his men fighting. He wanted nothing more than to be out there with them. The recruit behind him breathed heavily through his helmet.

"Those things obstruct your view, you should really take it off..." The recruit moved to unbuckle the helmet when a loud screeching sound was heard.

"Move!"

Samuel leaped over the desk they had been using for cover, the field was just outside the window below.

"Cover me!"

Locust began to swarm them. Samuel smashed the window and armed the bomb. He could see larger locusts clambering up the breach and he knew he needed to close it now. Without a second thought he through the large charges in shoved the recruit down beneath the desk in what cover he could and detonated the payload.

The explosion shook the entire stadium. The ground cracked around him. He attempted to climb up but it collapsed, plunging him into the stands below. He hit the ground, hard, and lost conciousness.

He awoke, coughing to clear the dust from his lungs. Around him bodies where being piled by gears. He rose up and brushed himself off.

"Sir your alive! Theres something you need to see!"

Samuel smiled as he recognized the recruit. A young man, who barely seemed old enough to be out of school much less fight as a gear. He patted him on the shoulder and motioned for the young man to lead on.

Around some debris he could see it, a strange glow. He readied his boltok just in case. He turned to see gears moving about a large tear in the air. Gears where spreading out and setting up equipment all around it, and birds could be seen in the distance. Bringing in the brains to study it no doubt. 

Samuel approached the large glowing tear and tried to peer through. He could barely make out a landscape on the other side. He removed his boltok from its holster and pulled the hammer back. Slowly he kneeled down, never taking his eyes of the rift, and took up a small rock in his free hand. He threw the rock into it and it disappeared.

"Well, never seen anything like that... And that's rarely a good thing."

• Like 5

A young imperial officer stepped nervously onto the bridge.  Pushing back his shoulders and taking a deep breath he approached the command console

"Lord N'Faryus..."  the officer hesitated while the Sith Lord turned his attention to the young officer "One of our probe droids has detected something ...  unusual ...  in the outer rim territories near the Seswenna Sector.  It appears to be some sort of portal to..."

Darth N'Faryus's gravely laugh silenced the young officer.  "Yes, I know.  I felt felt the tremor in the force"

"Commander!" the Sith Lord's voice boomed across the bridge "Prepare my shuttle for immediate departure.  And assemble your men, I want an advance team through the portal before I arrive and 2 divisions at my disposal."  

"Yes my Lord" the commander replied.  Turning to an aide, the commander repeated the order.

Bowing deeply, the young imperial officer turned from Darth N'Faryus and approached the Commander's aide "Cadet Waffen Quarrie is currently in the Seswenna Sector conducting a sweep for smugglers.  Perhaps he could bring his troops and whatever bounty hunters he can round up and link up with the advance team as they enter the portal."

The aide nodded in approval "Make it happen"

• Like 4

Intro Thread   Challenge Log   Bodyweight Exercise Library   Recipe Book   Shuffle Club 

Level 2 Ninja

Strength: 13 Intelligence: 14 Wisdom: 6 Dexterity:14 Constitution: 12 Charisma: 11

I have updated the map. Since no one is in range for any battles this round I automatically claimed all uncontested territories for everyone.

The tracking week ends today, so when you are done tracking make sure you recruit troops and enter the info into the week 1 area of the army table at the bottom. I will be doing this shortly so everyone has an example of what I am talking about.

• Like 2

As a newly minted Stormtrooper, Private Waffen Quarrie had settled into his first assignment nicely.  Busting down doors to raid smuggling operations in the Seswenna Sector is just the kind of honest policing Waffen desired when he enlisted as an imperial cadet.  His white armor smoothly polished reflecting the moonlight of the night sky, Waffen huddled against the duracrete wall of a seemly abandoned spaceport warehouse on the outskirts of Eriadu City, epicenter of the planet Eriadu.  He held his blaster at the ready mirroring the pose of the Storm Troopers to the left and right of him, all pressed against the wall awaiting the door to be breached. 

As the engineer applied a set of explosives to the durasteel door, one of the other Storm Troopers' wrist began a dull beep.  The trooper with a shoulder guard indicating that of a field lieutenant, answered his comlink. 

"Lieutenant Frist Styklar here."

"Commander Yandero has sent a change of orders.  Leave the smugglers.  The Outland Regions Security Force will mop them up.  Join up with the rest of the 804 division at the garrison.  We are moving out."

"Roger, Templar."  The Lieutenant turned off the comm and turned to his squadron.

"Abandon Mission.  New orders to report to the garrison at once.  We can blow those fireworks once we are clear, but the smugglers are someone else's problem.  Sargent, move them out."  With that Waffen and his squad mates were off to a new adventure leaving behind the honest policing of undesirables from the Seswenna sector with no clue what lay ahead.  At their backs, demolition... debris... disorder. 

Waffen despised not completing their police work.  Upholding order was his favorite part of the job.  It was clean and fair, protecting those who kept to the letter of the law from the dirty smugglers and villainy troublemakers.  He had really shown bright among the troopers in the few months stationed at Eriadu.  No matter where this new mission took him, he knew his commitment to justice and order would serve the Empire well as it was a family tradition now.  Their father a decorated Admiral from the Clone Wars.  His two younger sisters already out on the Imperial Naval Academy off piloting Tie Fighters somewhere in the galaxy.  The most astonishing story though is that of his older brother, Ryn Quarrie, who had advanced through the Imperial Navy ranks entirely too quick for coincidence.  Now, a commander on a Star Destroyer, Ryn had comm'ed Waffen recently, excited about a new assignment under the disposal of an elite from the Emperor's circle.  Waffen couldn't believe Ryn's luck in advancing, but cautioned about the rumors about commanders who ended up under Darth Vader, usually in a heap on the durasteel floor.  Ryn shot that down as just rumors, too excited to be serving an arm of Emperor Palpatine. 

A couple days later, aboard the dreadnaught cruiser with which the 804 division had deployed to Eriadu, Private Waffen Quarrie dressed in workout fatigues prepared for personal training peered out a transpersteel window as the cruiser jumped through hyperspace.  Lieutenant Frist Styklar approached in full armor fresh from a division leadership briefing.  Waffen quickly pivoted to salute.

"At ease, Private Quarrie," the trooper said as he removed his helmet.  "I have some news for you.  You are being promoted to squad leader.  10 men under you.  I'll still be your superior with my squadron leading our platoon in Bravo Company.  Keep up the hard work and you'll make Sargent before you know it."   

"Thank you, sir.  You will not be disappointed, sir,"  Waffen replied from a parole stance.

"I know I won't," Styklar chided with a smirk, then strode away towards an equipment locker with his name on it.  "And I said 'at ease'.  Let's hit the gym and get this run out of the way," Styklar said as he continued to remove armor and place it in the locker.  Waffen finally relaxed out of the parole stance and followed Styklar to the locker.  He decided it was appropriate to pry on their new mission.

"So, any news on our destination?"

"All I know right now is that we will have almost the entire battalion at the ready.  Bravo company, a squadron of Grenadiers and a squadron of Flametroops, two squads of sniper scouts, one squad of heavy weapons, and one elite squad of jump and shock troops.  With all that, we will likely hit the ground to take ground quickly.  Only Alpha Company and some others will be left with the ship."

"Surely, we won't just be an occupation force."

"You can count on there being action," Styklar replied with a smile.  "And don't call me Shirley."

• Like 2

Journey to You: Coaching, Mentoring, and Personal Growth

World 6 Level 5 | Epic Quest | Toastmasters: Where Leaders are Made | Institute for Jedi Realist Studies | Extra Life 2023 | YouTube Channel | Epic Nerd Camp

"No.  Try not.  Do... or do not.  There is no try." -- Yoda | "We are what we repeatedly do."  -- Aristotle

Spoiler

Distinguished Toastmaster Agnostic Rationalist Jedi Dwarf Black Belt Martial Artist Monk Ranger Assassin Engineer Scientist Philosopher Student Nerd
World 6 Level 4 Stats: STR 150.0 | DEX 160.75 | STA 151.0 | CON 152.0 | WIS 158.0 | CHA 150.0

World 1 Level [1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22World 2 Level [1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10]  

World 3 Level [1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12World 4 Level [1, 2 (post lost), 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11]

World 5 Level [1, 2, 3, 4, 5] World 6 Level [1, 2, 3, 4, 4.5]

“If you are willing to be terrible at something for a short period of time, you can be great at anything.” -- Sinbad (Stand-Up Comedian)

3 hours ago, WhiteGhost said:

The Imperial advance team is through the portal

The Imperial support cell (804 Division) is through the portal.

• Like 2

World 6 Level 5 | Epic Quest | Toastmasters: Where Leaders are Made | Institute for Jedi Realist Studies | Extra Life 2023 | YouTube Channel | Epic Nerd Camp

"No.  Try not.  Do... or do not.  There is no try." -- Yoda | "We are what we repeatedly do."  -- Aristotle

Spoiler

Distinguished Toastmaster Agnostic Rationalist Jedi Dwarf Black Belt Martial Artist Monk Ranger Assassin Engineer Scientist Philosopher Student Nerd
World 6 Level 4 Stats: STR 150.0 | DEX 160.75 | STA 151.0 | CON 152.0 | WIS 158.0 | CHA 150.0

World 1 Level [1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22World 2 Level [1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10]  

World 3 Level [1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12World 4 Level [1, 2 (post lost), 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11]

“If you are willing to be terrible at something for a short period of time, you can be great at anything.” -- Sinbad (Stand-Up Comedian)

I can access the spreadsheet, if you want me to add them for you, @Elennare?

“All You Have To Decide Is What To Do With The Time That Is Given To You.” - Gandalf

Journey to the Mountain of Knowledge - Chapter One: A Pocketful of hope (current challenge)

Spoiler

Previous Challenges: 1|2|3|4|5|6|7|8|9|10|11|12|13 1415|16|17|18|19|20|21|22|23|24|25|26|2728 29|30 A Bold New Year   Rhovaniel forges herself anew 

The Chronicles of Rhovaniel, Dúnedain Ranger: Vol I, Vol IIVol III, Interim| Vol IV|Vol V 

35 minutes ago, Elennare said:

That would be awesome.  If you could also spend the points on veterans, with any leftover on basic infantry, I would appreciate it.  Thanks!

All done, and troops on the board!

• Like 2

Spoiler

Oh crud. I forgot to access the spreadsheet before I left and I can't do it on my phone.

Can someone put in 250 miles biking for cardio and 5 Yoga workouts.

I'm a merc. I'm not sure what the person stuck with me wants. Maybe a mix of veteran and ranged troops.

Thanks so much.

• Like 1

“We might as well start where we are, use what we have and do what we can." – Caitlin Rivers

Sloth: The Man with the Hammer battle log

On 7/15/2017 at 9:52 AM, Sloth the Enduring said:

Oh crud. I forgot to access the spreadsheet before I left and I can't do it on my phone.

Can someone put in 250 miles biking for cardio and 5 Yoga workouts.

I'm a merc. I'm not sure what the person stuck with me wants. Maybe a mix of veteran and ranged troops.

Thanks so much.

I put in your workouts, but you are way, way over the limit for getting points for your miles. To give you some more value for your work, I assumed part of those miles were a timed activity rather than a distance activity although you are way over the limit there as well (1 hour maxes you out in that category)

You are a merc for cn3wton  and his COGS :)

• Like 1

Level 2 Ninja

I put in your workouts, but you are way, way over the limit for getting points for your miles. To give you some more value for your work, I assumed part of those miles were a timed activity rather than a distance activity although you are way over the limit there as well (1 hour maxes you out in that category)

You are a merc for cn3wton  and his COGS [emoji4]

Thanks. Gotta feel bad for CNewton, I am terrible about keeping up with PVPs, always have been.

• Like 1

“We might as well start where we are, use what we have and do what we can." – Caitlin Rivers

Sloth: The Man with the Hammer battle log

36 minutes ago, Sloth the Enduring said:

Thanks. Gotta feel bad for CNewton, I am terrible about keeping up with PVPs, always have been.

Nah, I wouldn't worry about it. It's just a fun way to keep motivated to work out and put in a bit more than we normally would. 

Besides, if you don't keep up it makes it all the more easy to CRUSH HIM!!! Bwahahahaha!!!

• Like 3

Level 2 Ninja

11 hours ago, WhiteGhost said:

Nah, I wouldn't worry about it. It's just a fun way to keep motivated to work out and put in a bit more than we normally would. 

Besides, if you don't keep up it makes it all the more easy to CRUSH HIM!!! Bwahahahaha!!!

Or so you think!

Hey everybody been crazy the last week or so. I will be checking to make sure everyone transitioned to this week as far as tracking without any issues. You have until this wednesday to deploy the troops you recruited last week. I will introduce the rules again as we get closer to the deadline days for those who are unfamiliar with them!

• Like 1

"Where's the action I was promised?" Waffen chided his superior officer as they enter the temporary refresher, the automatic doors whooshing closed behind them.   From under his helmet Waffen added, "Patrolling, surveying, and setting up camps is tedious and dispiriting."

"Well, at least there has been adventure," Lieutenant Frist Styklar remarked as he removed his helmet.  "I've never seen a land like this.  The native creatures and plant life are so foreign.  It is pretty awesome to be among the discoverers of a new frontier."  Waffen followed suit and removed his helmet.

"Yeah, it is pretty exciting to go where it appears no one has gone before," Waffen boldly added.  "I did hear rumors that the scouts have reported unknown forces amassed in other quadrants." 

"Don't get your hopes up, kid.  Any beings on this rock will scatter when they see Stormtrooper armor headed their way.  The Empire yields to nothing.  We will bring these unknown forces to their knees with ease."

"Imperius Unitada ober Totallex," Waffen replied.

"Right.  Now, let's hit the can.  I got a load to deliver."

Spoiler