Forums are back in action! ×

The NF Library: 16 Books to Inspire, Educate, and Level Up Your Life

spezzy

Lego-Library-590x331.jpg

I'm a huge bookworm. *Ever since I was a little kid, I've loved reading and always wanted one of those houses with massive bookshelves filled to the top with interesting books.

*I've since abandoned my dreams for big book shelves and have since embraced the ebook (thank you Kindle!), which has allowed me to to crank through 4+ books a month.

If you happen to love reading as well, this post is for you.This content will also live over at NerdFitness.com/blog/library/ and will be updated frequently, so feel free to bookmark that page and check it each month!Here are my favorite books, covering my favorite genres. *Enjoy, ya nerd!

Fitness and Diet

Starting Strength, by Mark Rippetoe - If you are serious about weight training, this is your bible. *Mark goes into incredible detail with each and every one of the major barbell lifts. *Heck, there are like seventy pages about squats alone! *Back when I started lifting, this book was instrumental in changing how I approached my fitness and training. *If you ever have any plans to pick up a barbell, plunk down the money for a physical copy of this book.

The Four Hour Body, by Tim Ferriss -**Although I don't agree with every one of Tim's opinions nor all of the claims in the book, he has created an incredibly vast and diverse reference of that shows what we're capable of, if we're willing to work for it. *Rather than an end-all, be-all fitness book, I found the Four-Hour Body to make me constantly say: "Wow I didn't even think about that, time to start experimenting with my own workouts."

Why We Get Fat And What to Do About It, by Gary Taubes -*Gary Taubes has consistently impressed me with his writing, research, and logical arguments when it comes to why we get fat. *Some of his claims in this book are a stretch, but everything in it will make you say, "interesting perspective, definitely food for thought (ha!)" Before you dive into this book, check out Gary's "What if its All Been a Big Fat Lie?"*in the New York Times to see if you like his style: *I found this book easier to get through than the great "Good Calories Bad Calories."

The Paleo Solution, by Robb Wolf -*The Paleo Diet confuses the crap out of people, which I guess is why The Beginner's Guide to the Paleo Diet is the most popular (and commented on) article on Nerd Fitness! *Of all the books I've read on the Diet, I found Robb's book to be the most enjoyable and easy to read. *He takes a firm line on what's paleo and what's not, and I really enjoyed his no-bs writing style and content.

Self Improvement The Power of Habit,*by Charles Duhigg -*I wrote an article about this book a few weeks ago because I've found it to be that important to how Nerd Fitness operates. *Charles does such a great job of breaking down habit change and habit formation that you really end up with a different perspective on what you can accomplish. *If you are a person that struggles to make positive changes, this article provides you with all of the tools and information you need to help yourself make lasting changes.

I Will Teach You To Be Rich,*by Ramit Sethi -*This should be required reading for every college graduate. *I knew little about personal finance (and thus had nothing prepared); now, I have a fully funded Roth IRA, savings accounts set up for emergencies and expenses, and I'm paying off my student loans at twice the required pace. *I'm not saying these things to brag, but rather to show you that if a guy who knew nothing about any of this stuff can take control in a few years, you can too. *Ramit's blog is great too.

The Millionaire Next Door, by Thomas Stanley -*I really loved this book, as it shifted my perspective on who the truly wealthy are. Hint: It's probably not the people with the biggest houses or flashiest cars! *This book provides a great window into how people who are smart with their money manage to eventually amass large amounts of wealth: safe investments, living well below their means, and not worrying about trying to impress others with material goods. *A great book for people who want to build a financially stable future.

Emergency, by Neil Strauss -*Okay, not really a self-improvement book...unless you're trying to become Jason Bourne. *Fortunately for me, I AM trying to become Jason Bourne, so this book opened my eyes up to a whole new world of what's actually possible with enough time, money, resources, and craziness :)

Entrepreneurship

The Four Hour Workweek, by Tim Ferriss - I bought the Four Hour Workweek on a lunch break five years ago, read it in two days, and three days later purchased NerdFitness.com. *This book planted the seed in my brain for building a small business and traveling the world. *Although sections of the book can come across as an online get-rich-quick scheme, it's incredibly inspiring. *Whenever I need a boost of motivation I reread the first few chapters. *If you're looking to break free, this is a great eye-opener, as is Tim's blog.

The $100 Startup, by Chris Guillebeau -*Tim's book got me started, but Chris's blog and 279 Days to Overnight Success*is the reason Nerd Fitness turned into a blog. *Chris is also the reason I could afford to travel so much! *I've been fortunate enough to get to know Chris a bit over the past few years, and I even got the chance to introduce him at a book launch party a few months back in San Francisco. *If you want to make a living online, the*Four Hour Workweek will inspire you to act, and The $100 Startup*will tell you how to do it.

Losing My Virginity, by Richard Branson -*An incredible autobiography that reads more like a work of fiction, thanks to Branson's incredible adventures and risky decisions as an entrepreneur and daredevil. *Tim inspired me to start NerdFitness.com, Chris inspired me to make it a blog, and Mr. Branson inspired me to think BIG for what's possible with this community. *It's worth the read even for non-entrepreneurs due to the Branson's hilarious stories.

Fiction

Pillars of the Earth, by Ken Follett -*One of my favorite books of all time. *Who knew building a church could be so exciting?. *This is a book I legitimately couldn't put down until I finished...which was unfortunate because it's 900+ pages and weighs quite a bit. *Love, treason, murder, mystery, action,*Pillars of the Earth has it all. *I'm a sucker for historical fiction, which is probably why I love*Assassin's Creed*so much. *This book was turned into a Starz mini-series that was pretty well done - *watch after reading!

Atlas Shrugged, by Ayn Rand - A controversial choice for sure, *but I found both Atlas Shrugged and The Fountainhead*to be absolutely incredible, though tough to read. *No joke: there were parts of*Atlas Shrugged that made me stand up and applaud. *Yes, it's long. *Yes, there are rants that go on for like a hundred pages...but damn what a story! *Attempt at your own risk, but if you can power through a slow beginning you'll be treated to an intriguing mystery and interesting perspective.

Game of Thrones, by George. R. R. Martin -*I almost hesitate to recommend reading these books yet, because there are still two more books that need to be written! *You'll power through all five that are currently available, and then realize it'll be another decade before you get to figure out how the story ends! * The HBO interpretation certainly does the series justice.

In the Name of the Wind, by Patrick Rothfuss -*I read this first book in the Kingkiller Chronicles trilogy on the recommendation of a Nerd Fitness rebel years ago, and it turned out to be one of the best Fantasy novels I've ever read.*It starts out slow, but once*Kvothe starts telling the story of his childhood, you won't be able to stop reading. What I'm reading right now

Cloud Atlas,*by David Mitchell -*I bought this book thanks to this

for the upcoming movie adaptation of Cloud Atlas.*Watch the trailer, and you'll go "wow that looks awesome, but I have no clue what is happening." *Well, I'm 40% of the way through the book, and I still have no clue what's happening! I'm enjoying the journey thus far, and will let you know shortly if it's worth the read.

What's next? These are the books I have in my lineup, ready to read once I finish Cloud Atlas:

The Nerd Fitness Book Club

My previous article about reading was a huge hit (big shock, I know...nerds loving books), and I knew I wanted to do some sort of Nerd Fitness book club. *Sure enough, a few days later, before I even had the chance to announce anything, the Rebels of the Message Boards went ahead and created an "unofficial" (which then became "totally official") book club.They are are currently voting on which book they'll be reading for the 6 week challenge, free to jump into the fray, read the book, and join the discussion. *I hope to announce a new book each month that we can all read together in a more organized fashion.

Now it's YOUR turn: What are you reading currently?What belongs in the NF library? *Any book recommendations for me?

-Steve

###

Today's Rebel Hero: *Nick H, who I met up with while at Oktoberfest in Munich!Steve-and-Nick-590x368.jpg

These past few days, I've gotten a chance to cross two things off the Epic Quest of Awesome*(Oktoberfest and visiting Neuschwantstein Castle), which gave me enough experience to level up and finally reach double digits! *Level 10 baby! *BIG thanks to Nick, his lovely wife, and their great friends for welcoming us into their group in Munich. *Lots of good times and LOTS of good beer. *I'm currently in Prague exploring and will be back soon!photo: lego library, book club

I'm no longer an active member here. Please keep in touch:
“There's only one rule that I know of, babies—God damn it, you've got to be kind.”

A short list of books that in my mind are essential reading:

1. Zen and the Art Of Motorcycle Maintenance, by Robert Perschig. What starts as a story of a man and his son vacationing on a motorcycle becomes a story of Zen and fatherly love. A must read book for a man.

2. On Killing, by Lt Col (Ret) Grossman. Lt Col Grossman, whose background in psychology earned him a professorship at West Point, and whose military background includes 23 years as an Army Ranger, wrote THE fundamental must-read for every "warrior" (In his definition, everyone in a profession that might bring them into harm, from soldier or Marine to EMT and social worker, as well as every husband and father). Specifically, this book addresses killing, it's impact on the human mind, the differences between atrocity and killing out of defense, psychological distance between the enemy and you, etc. Most importantly, Grossman points out that the Universal Human Trait isn't mere greed or fear, lust or hate; it is a resistance against killing our fellow man. From wars of old to the Civil War to WW2 and beyond, the author reveals hard facts that forever shatter the myth that warriors are universally bloodthirsty. A Must Read.

3. On Combat, by Lt Col Grossman, (Ret.): Grossman's second book addresses the wider field of combat psychology, going into detail on every aspect of how combat affects the mind, and most importantly, how to train oneself to endure combat/high stress situations with minimal-to-no psychological damage. Once again, a must read for every Husband, Father, Soldier, Marine, Cop, Firefighter, etc.

4. The Gift Of Fear by Gavin De Becker. Should be called the gift of intuition, De Becker (Who has written with Grossman before) examines healthy fear; more corporate and law enforcement than military, De Becker gives you case studies in good fear saving a life. It also examines obsessive personalities, what to look for, how to fire people safely, and a great deal more. Absolute must read.

5. The Warrior Ethos, Steven Pressfield: I am a huge advocate of building your own honor code. Pressfield does not lay one out here in detail, but rather examines the code of the Spartans. Short, but good motivation.

6. The Tao Te Ching, Lao Tzu. The quintessential text of Taoism. It is short and can be found in pocket book form. I will let you decide it's worth; as it is a religious text, you should be able to find it online.

I will post more as I think of them.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Level 1 Human Assassin/Ranger

STR: 3 | DEX: 3 | CON: 2 | STA: 3| WIS: 2 | CHA:2

"To Be Alive At All Is To Have Scars."

I am happy to see Name of the Wind on the list. I been telling everyone about it since I read it. I think it is a amazing book. If only Rothfuss will finish book three and put his fans out of their misery.

Try everything once. If it kills you don't do it again.Paleo- So Easy A Caveman Can Do It

I am happy to see Name of the Wind on the list. I been telling everyone about it since I read it. I think it is a amazing book. If only Rothfuss will finish book three and put his fans out of their misery.

Agreed. One of the best books I've ever read. Outstanding stuff. :)

I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain.

MrParsnip the level 0 Fremen
Current challenge

Well, I feel stupid for telling him to add it to his list.... At least I told him to read it on an airplane and warned him it was a page-turner.

I have conditions that affect my social awareness.  If I am rude, tell me what I could do better.

5'8" & 220 260 pounds | Miles Walked: X

2019: | 1 | 2 | 3 |

Pre 2017: | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | * | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 |

Agreed. It was one of the most interesting books I have ever read.

STR – 24.45, DEX – 13.50, STA – 23.50, CON – 21.40, WIS – 27.65, CHA – 4.50
When the sun comes up, you better start running - Thomas Friedmen
Epic Quest - Current Challenge - Twitter - Goodreads - Fitbit - blog

I've read 3 of the 4 Fitness and Diet books as well and am in the middle of the 4th (Good Cal Bad Cal). All worth the read, and the 4 hour body is TONS of fun to red, unlike the others.

Massrandir, Barkûn, Swolórin, The Whey Pilgrim
500 / 330 / 625
Challenges: 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 31 32 34 35 36 39 41 42 45 46 47 48 49 Current Challenge
"No citizen has a right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable. " ~ Socrates
"Friends don't let friends squat high." ~ Chad Wesley Smith
"It's a dangerous business, Brodo, squatting to the floor. You step into the rack, and if you don't keep your form, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to." ~ Gainsdalf

Kind of disappointed to see Rand on there.

At first I was too because Ayn Rand, well, doesn't share my personal life philosopy. But I can see the value in reading it, evaluating what you do and don't agree with, and using that as an opportunity to see things from a different perspective. Like it or not, a lot of people find her inspiring, and I think it's worth reading and seeing what it is they admire. I take a similar approach to a lot of books.

I was confused by this until I went up and found the author. I thought it was a typing mistake and was supposed to read "Kind of disappointed not to see Rand (al'Thor) on there."

Massrandir, Barkûn, Swolórin, The Whey Pilgrim
500 / 330 / 625
Challenges: 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 31 32 34 35 36 39 41 42 45 46 47 48 49 Current Challenge
"No citizen has a right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable. " ~ Socrates
"Friends don't let friends squat high." ~ Chad Wesley Smith
"It's a dangerous business, Brodo, squatting to the floor. You step into the rack, and if you don't keep your form, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to." ~ Gainsdalf

I'm going to have to re-read Name of the Wind as I don't recall liking it at all when I read it - then again I absolutely wanted to strangle George RRRRRRR Martin after 400pages of Game of Thrones.

Half-Ork Scout Leader
Running PRs : 5K 24m16s | 10K 53m32s | 15K 1h18m09s | Half Marathon 2h1m44s | Marathon 4h42m2s 
Past Challenges #1 #2 #3 #4 #5 #6 #7 #8 #9 #10 #11 #12 #13  #14 #15 #16 #17 #18 #19 #20 #21 #22
                               #23 #24 #25 #26 #27 #28 #29 #30 #31 #32 #33 #34 #35 #36 #37 #38 #39 #40
Current Challenge Don't Call It A Comeback

'Predictably Irrational' definitely belongs in the NF library. Scientific explorations of the decision-making process, and how it can be manipulated. (Short version: we're not as rational, logical, or intelligent as we think, and we can be conned into doing things we wouldn't do ordinarily.)

"If you get into trouble, you can always eat something, blow something up, or throw penguins." - Jim Henson

I'm going to have to re-read Name of the Wind as I don't recall liking it at all when I read it - then again I absolutely wanted to strangle George RRRRRRR Martin after 400pages of Game of Thrones.

I wanted to strangle GRRM after what he did to Rickon. No four-year-old shoud have to go through that.

I like Rothfuss' writing style, but not the character of Kvothe. Bit of a Gary Stu, that one. It's only at the end of the second book that you get a sense that his story might be a fabrication, at least in part.

If you want snappy writing and a book that doesn't double as a doorstop, check out 'Throne of the Crescent Moon' by Saladin Ahmed. It's the first part of a trilogy, and sucks you in with the first paragraph. I almost got into trouble at work because I couldn't put the thing down.

Nnedi Okorafor's 'Who Fears Death' is also killer SF/fantasy, set in a post-apocalyptic sub-Saharan Africa where magic works.

"If you get into trouble, you can always eat something, blow something up, or throw penguins." - Jim Henson

Forgive me if this is a dumb question, I haven't read that much by her, but why?

(not trying to start an argument, genuinely curious)

Warrior Princess
Eating Psychology Coach

Adventure's Guild Challenge winner: Challenge #24

â•‘ Live the Whole  â•‘ Bucket List â•‘Level up my Lifeâ•‘ 

"Don't ever save anything for a special occasion. Every day you're alive is a special occasion."

I just finished reading Emergency by Neil Strauss. At first I was a little skeptical because of how slow the book begins, but towards the end, I was not only motivated to level-up my life, but also to think differently about survival, life, death, and people. It's not quite the Jason Bourne how-to book that I was looking for, but with motivation and determination, nearly all of the principles in this book can be applied. I finished it in 3-4 days, but it is 418 pages long (with a relatively large print and open format) so it might take you longer. I'd definitely recommend it to anybody that is serious about learning how to survive.

STR - 9 DEX - 10 STA - 12 CON - 6 WIS - 12.5 CHA - 5 Level 4 Assassin Soldier 

Current Challenge: "Becoming Oliver Queen: Part 1" 

Battle Log: "Will You Commit Yourself to This Program?" 

Epic Quest: "The List" (coming soon!) 

Мой аргумент не Ñ Ð²Ð°Ð¼Ð¸ - My argument is not with you. 

Forgive me if this is a dumb question, I haven't read that much by her, but why?

(not trying to start an argument, genuinely curious)

Ayn Rand's fiction and philosophical writings promote her philosophy of Objectivism: reality exists beyond our own perceptions, and can be understood through the application of logic and reason. The proper moral purpose of human existence is the pursuit of individual happiness or rational self-interest. The use of force or the threat of force to limit another's hapiness or self-interest is immoral. Also immoral is depending on someone else for assistance. The individual and the rights of the individual to property, liberty and happiness are paramount; everything else is irrational. It's sometimes summed up as 'rational selfishness'.

In her writings, Ayn Rand often criticizes poor people for being lazy, governments for encouraging laziness and for interfering with the individual rights, and religious people for being illogical and primitive. She objects to any sort of collective enterprise, especially labor unions and charitable organizations; she also objects to laws that limit individual freedom (censorship, antitrust laws, child labor laws, minimum wage laws, drug prohibitions, etc.). Critics also point to her amphetamine addiction and her idolization of serial killer William Edward Hickman.

In 'Atlas Shrugged', Rand creates a dystopian society burdened by excessive regulations and taxation. Most people are encouraged to think of themselves as victims and rely on the government for everything. (She refers to them as "looters", "moochers", and "parasites".) Those who actually produce and create are limited by rules and regulations designed to stifle them. The hero, John Galt, leads the scientific and creative elites in a strike that causes the eventual collapse of society. The novel is very popular among American conservatives and libertarians, especially Paul Ryan.

Steve is definitely an advocate of thinking for oneself and taking responsibility for one's actions, health, and circumstances. I don't know the man personally, so I can't say if he advocates contempt for the poor, the religious, or the altruistic, as Ayn Rand did.

I certainly hope he doesn't.

Ayn Rand doesn't fit in, in my opinion (See above)

And where is Douglas Adams' epic five-part trilogy?! The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a must for any nerd to read, in my opinion.

Now I'll get back to reading it again.

Ash nazg durbatulûk

Îα είσαι καλÏτεÏος άνθÏωπος από τον πατέÏα σου

â–²STR 7 | DEX 11 | STA 6 | CON 6 | WIS 9 | CHA 5â–²

Thanks Maj. Bloodnok - nice summary. I might give Atlas Shrugged a go now, just to see what I think. It sounds like a very thought provoking book!

Warrior Princess
Eating Psychology Coach

Adventure's Guild Challenge winner: Challenge #24

â•‘ Live the Whole  â•‘ Bucket List â•‘Level up my Lifeâ•‘ 

"Don't ever save anything for a special occasion. Every day you're alive is a special occasion."

Cloud Atlas,*by David Mitchell -*I bought this book thanks to this 5-minute trailer for the upcoming movie adaptation of Cloud Atlas.*Watch the trailer, and you'll go "wow that looks awesome, but I have no clue what is happening." *Well, I'm 40% of the way through the book, and I still have no clue what's happening! I'm enjoying the journey thus far, and will let you know shortly if it's worth the read.

i did the EXACT same thing. the trailer looked amazing, so i figured the book had to be worthwhile. i've just started it, and... have no clue what's going on. i'll keep going, though Steve's comment about being 40% through and still not knowing what's going on worries me. anyone else read it?

and i also have to agree that Atlas Shrugged is one of my favorites. and it's safe to say that while Ayn Rand is definitely a controversial author, what I tend to take from her books is that it is important to have passion, and to use logic and be independent and strong-willed when necessary. that can definitely be seen as an overly simplistic view of her writing and her message, but that's just what i choose to take from it. if you can separate the author from the book, there are a lot of aspects to her stories that i think people can relate to or find inspiration from.

...we, each of us, are responsible for our own fulfillment. Nobody else can provide it for us, and to believe otherwise is to delude ourselves dangerously and to program for eventual failure every relationship we enter. - Tom Robbins

Current Challenge: Life, man.

and i also have to agree that Atlas Shrugged is one of my favorites. and it's safe to say that while Ayn Rand is definitely a controversial author, what I tend to take from her books is that it is important to have passion, and to use logic and be independent and strong-willed when necessary. that can definitely be seen as an overly simplistic view of her writing and her message, but that's just what i choose to take from it. if you can separate the author from the book, there are a lot of aspects to her stories that i think people can relate to or find inspiration from.

Aye, same with me. Rand is controversial and some of her writings are over the top and her world views sometimes simplistic (especially in her writings on regulations because she neglects to take into account corruption, not everyone is virtuous) but there are good points to her argument. Passion and pride in your abilities, allowing others to pursue their life without interference or hindering them, making decisions based on facts and observable criteria, the way to true happiness is found through the following of personal passion, etc.

"Pull the bar like you're ripping the head off a god-damned lion" - Donny Shankle

On the Rand discussion, I haven't read Atlas Shrugged. I have read Anthem and loved it, so I decided to pick up Fountainhead and Atlas Shrugged many years ago. I tried reading the latter once and made it to chapter 2 or 3. Now I'm talking to a girl who identifies as an Objectivist and says that Atlas Shrugged is her favorite book. Now it is recommended here. Maybe this is nature's way of telling me to try to read it again?

Level 1 Woodwose

STR 5 | DEX 2 | STA 1 | CON 2 | WIS 5 | CHA 4

WAR 0 | RNG 0 | SCT 0 | ASN 0 | MON 0 | DRU 0 | ADV 1

Current Challenge: Specialization is for Insects

Previous Chapters: 1

Ayn Rand doesn't fit in, in my opinion (See above)

And where is Douglas Adams' epic five-part trilogy?! The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a must for any nerd to read, in my opinion.

Now I'll get back to reading it again.

I personally think only the first three are worth reading. I just felt he got lazy in four and five which cause the story to suffer. First book is a must read.

Try everything once. If it kills you don't do it again.Paleo- So Easy A Caveman Can Do It

On the Rand discussion, I haven't read Atlas Shrugged. I have read Anthem and loved it, so I decided to pick up Fountainhead and Atlas Shrugged many years ago. I tried reading the latter once and made it to chapter 2 or 3. Now I'm talking to a girl who identifies as an Objectivist and says that Atlas Shrugged is her favorite book. Now it is recommended here. Maybe this is nature's way of telling me to try to read it again?

I'm currently working my way through Atlas Shrugged(only a few chapters in so far). I don't believe I share Rand's philosophy as it's been described to me, but I decided I owed it to myself to read it for myself - and it's quite culturally relevant. I'm a big believer in understanding the perspectives/reasoning of others, regardless of whether or not you may agree with them. And so, despite my busy life, I'm pushing my way through the book.

At first I was too because Ayn Rand, well, doesn't share my personal life philosopy. But I can see the value in reading it, evaluating what you do and don't agree with, and using that as an opportunity to see things from a different perspective. Like it or not, a lot of people find her inspiring, and I think it's worth reading and seeing what it is they admire. I take a similar approach to a lot of books.

Pretty much this x100. When it comes to philosophy, it's useful(and enlightnening) to be educated on alternative philosophies, even if your own views are quite different. Hence Atlas Shrugged is what I'm currently reading. :)

"Restlessness is discontent - and discontent is the first necessity of progress. Show me a thoroughly satisfied man-and I will show you a failure." -Thomas Edison

Archived