Forums are back in action! ×

If you hate running, READ THIS!

Taijibum

I keep reading about people hating to run. Its boring, every part of your body hurts, ect.... Here's the thing about running. It is the same as any other exercise. It sucks at first. If you have ever lifted weights you know that newbies go through a period in the beginning where lifting sucks and it hurts and they dont like it. Then after REGULAR weight lifting the sulkiness goes away and the pain even starts to feel good. It's the same with running.

In the beginning running is painful and boring. However, if you stick with it and run regularly which is more than 3 times a week it will begin to feel good. Also your mind gets used to it and you don't have to think about it as much and you can actually relax when you run. In running communities you hear about "runners" and "joggers". Runners love to run and joggers hate it but run for a specific purpose like to lose weight. There real difference is skill level.

Running is a skill like any other. First thing is posture and then the second is cadence. You can find out more about them on Youtube just search Chi Running or other "natural" running methods. At the beginning of 2012 I was running 1-3 miles a day with a 5 mile long run of pure hell. In May I took a Chi Running seminar and there are many different seminars out there teaching the same techniques. I went from running 1-5 miles in pure agony to running 50 miles at an ultra marathon in September. Running is a skill! I had built up enough endurance after running 1-5 miles completely wrong to immediately drop 2 minutes a mile off my time and the first thing I notices was the running "pains" went away. I was about 240 at that point and my knees and back hurt when I ran. BUT WHEN I RAN ACCORDING TO NATUAL BODY MECHANICS THE PAIN WENT AWAY!!! I cant stress that enough, running is a skill.

My advice is to watch some Youtube videos on natural running form and work on one thing a week. Skill building takes time. My first week all I worked on was keeping my arms bent at 90 degree angles instead of down at my waist. My arms got so sore at first but my back pain went away. My knee pain went away when I kept my pelvis under me and stopped over striding and heel striking. As soon as my weight was kept under me the knee pains when away.

My next running challenges are all about barefoot running. Currently its in the 20's in Michigan so I am using New Balance Minimus shoes. Come this summer I may be trying an ultra running barefoot.

I hope I have encouraged somebody to run. 

We do not rise to the level of our expectations in a fight.

We fall to the level of our training.

I never disliked lifting weights, it has always made me feel like a man.

But the point in running's case is true. Learn the correct form and cadence and do it 3 or more times a week and it does become relaxing rather than work. I hated it at first then came to at least find it tolerable, though never got so far as enjoyable. Went from not being able to complete 1/4 mile to running a 10 miler.

Massrandir, Barkûn, Swolórin, The Whey Pilgrim
500 / 330 / 625
Challenges: 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 31 32 34 35 36 39 41 42 45 46 47 48 49 Current Challenge
"No citizen has a right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable. " ~ Socrates
"Friends don't let friends squat high." ~ Chad Wesley Smith
"It's a dangerous business, Brodo, squatting to the floor. You step into the rack, and if you don't keep your form, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to." ~ Gainsdalf

I really like running, and I think that's because I took all my ideas about speed/pace from John Bingham.  (I guess maybe Jeff Galloway would have worked too, if I'd discovered his writing first.)  I think a lot of people start at a pace that's too fast for their starting ability, and that can be pretty miserable.

I can't even express how much I wish I'd started off with good form (Chi, POSE, natural, or barefoot). 

This used to be where  my weight loss progress bar was. Maybe it will be here again when I'm ready to face the scale and work on my fat problem.
 NewBattleLog              OldBattleLog (between challenges)

Spoiler

Don't let what you cannot do
interfere with what you can do.

-John Wooden

2013 Running Tally: I lost track in July, at 148.925  ((plus 0.5)) but I finished a Very Slow marathon in October. Then I mostly stopped.
2014 Running Tally: 134.1 miles plus 5k (as of 17 September) lost track again, but I know I had at least 147.2 plus 5k for 2014.
2015 Running Tally: 41.2 treadmilled miles & 251.93 real world miles

2016 Running Tally: 0

I have to disagree with you. There was a time I ran 3-4 times a week and I did this for at least 6 months, probably longer. Some days I would enjoy it but 90% of the time I came back from a run physically and mentally drained half the time I came back in before the amount of time I had set in my head to run because I was just sick of running, just bored with it and was ready to move onto the next thing. 

But when I picked up heavy weights for the first time, yea I was sore the next day but I LOVED it. I don't think there was ever a lifting workout I have done that I've grumbled about or gotten bored with. After lifting I feel energized mentally, even if my body feels like jello. 

Some people are meant for certain activities that others aren't. If you don't enjoy what you are doing, chances are you aren't going to work as hard or see the results you'd get from something you do enjoy! 

Level 10 Wandering Nord

Constitution: 15.5 Strength: 14 Wisdom: 17.5 Stamina: 12.25 Dexterity: 2 Charisma: 8
Current Challenge: Picking Up The Pieces

I was out for a long run a couple weeks ago.  I felt awful after about twenty minutes, just terrible, and would have given up except I was that far away from my car.  So I pushed through . . . and things got really good.  The pain went away, and I the subjective effort went way down.  Mind you, this was not my first long-for-me run (ran for an hour that day, nearly 7 miles), but the first time I had to push through a wall that high to get a second wind.

I think that some people may not be in shape enough to get past that hard stage.

Current Challenge: (Feb-Mar 21) Step by Step

My Epic Quest Character Sheet  *** Old Challenges and Links hidden below

Spoiler

My Old Battle Log

(2012) 1st (Scout) 2nd (Scout) *** (2013) 3rd (Warrior) 4th (Warrior) 5th (Warrior) 6th (Assassin) ***

(2014) 7th (Ranger) 8th (Scout) 9th (Monk) 10th (Scout) *** (2015) 11th (Ranger) 12th (Ranger) 13th (Ranger) 14th (Ranger) 15th (Scout) 16th (Scout) *** (2016) 17th (Ranger) 18th (Scout) 19th (Scout) 20th (Rebel)

(2021) 21st (Adventurer)

Past groups: The Wild Hunt 6 *** The Serenity Crew *** The Wild Hunt 5 *** The Wild Hunt 4 *** The Wild Hunt 3 *** The Wild Hunt 2 *** The Wild Hunt 1 *** Browncoats

Achievements: (20 Sep 2014) Completed first half marathon *** (17 Feb 2014) Finished mission to bring body fat from over 25% to under 12% over six months (trying to repeat that now)

Add me to the list that hate (or barely tolerate) running and love lifting weights.

HALF-OGRE
Level 3 Ranger / Level 1 Sexy Grandpa

Str: 10.75 Dex: 11 Sta: 9.25 Con: 7.5 Wis: 6.75 Cha: 5.75

"The chief cause of failure and unhappiness is trading what you want most for what you want right nowâ€. ― Zig Ziglar

Introduction
Current 6 week challenge
My workout log

Specialization is for insects. Do all the things!

I have always loved running... fat skinny... cold or hot... except in the ARMY... Probably because i hate running at other people's pace.  It did not matter if i was slowing down the group or outpacing other people.  Just knowing that i could not go faster or slower than the group bothered me.  I have never been good with keeping a running partner... i decided a while ago that i just enjoy the time to myself.  I never listened to anyone's advice about how i was running "wrong."  i have always run on the balls of my feet and once i discovered VFFs and barefoot shoes... i have never run in anything else.

LEVEL 4Time Lord RangerSTR 6 / DEX 4 / STA 8 / CON 6 / WIS 3 / CHA 2Architect of Evolution: Blog

I went for my first run in a C25K program I'm starting yesterday. I didn't rightly know what to expect, but I freaking loved it. I got to leave my house, and have 30 minutes of just me time. Time to unwind, just chill with myself, get zen, run and let all the days stress and frustration bleed out of me.

When I got home I was so relaxed and feeling so good, I was doped like Lance Armstrong! (to soon?? >_>)

But yeah, can't wait to run again.

I love exercising now that I found weight lifting, climbing and body weight exercises.

I loved it from day 1.

However I never loved running. I've done running, but it was always hard. I also never got the "runner's high" as it were.

My brain doesn't do that trick.

I did discover something else though, I don't love "jogging" but I do love "running". I'm not talking about the difference the OP explained. I'm talking speed here. Just a jogging pace doesn't work for me. But all out running (not sprinting! Not as fast as I can go), does work for me. I just can't run very far... maybe as long as other people sprint?

So I also think there's variety in that area.

"Continuous improvement is better than delayed perfection"

Epic Quest: Sif's list of awesome

Challenge: let's smash another year #low-carb #push-ups #intermittent fasting

Spoiler

Sif rises once more (~2020): 1

The Return of Sif (~2018): 1, 2, 34567, 8

The Age of Kibcy (~2012/13): 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 89

I went for my first run in a C25K program I'm starting yesterday. I didn't rightly know what to expect, but I freaking loved it. I got to leave my house, and have 30 minutes of just me time. Time to unwind, just chill with myself, get zen, run and let all the days stress and frustration bleed out of me.

When I got home I was so relaxed and feeling so good, I was doped like Lance Armstrong! (to soon?? >_>)

But yeah, can't wait to run again.

Same. I have my best runs when I have had the shittiest day ever, run for 30 minutes and listen to some great music = new me. 

Never let your fear decide your fate.

Taijibum,

Thanks for the post!  It was very inspiring and I'll be looking into Chi Running.

I've been working on my hate for distance running.  I need to run to get into shape for football and rugby, so I set goals to run X number of miles or improve my time.  I think my form is fine.  I'm only exhausted or in pain after a run if I skip a week.  I'm not overweight, out of shape, old, brittle, or broken.  In fact, I am probably the strongest and fittest I've ever been.

I do sprints and suicides with no problem, because I love being fast, which I think could be part of my problem.  If I run a distance run too fast, then I'm not getting the benefits I desire.  I try to slow down, but then I'm frustrated with how long it takes to get the number of miles I desire.  I've tried music, Zombie apps, and changing the scenery, but nothing has changed my opinion. 

What I think I need is a team with whom to run, because I can always run when I'm playing a sport, whether training, pick-up, or whatever.  Or maybe I need to see distance running as a sport and get competitive... nah, I tried that.  I always come back to the fact that I'd rather be "playing" something else. 

I want to be able to run for fun.  Hopefully, I can find an answer. 

Journey to You: Coaching, Mentoring, and Personal Growth

World 6 Level 5 | Epic Quest | Toastmasters: Where Leaders are Made | Institute for Jedi Realist Studies | Extra Life 2023 | YouTube Channel | Epic Nerd Camp

"No.  Try not.  Do... or do not.  There is no try." -- Yoda | "We are what we repeatedly do."  -- Aristotle

Spoiler

Distinguished Toastmaster Agnostic Rationalist Jedi Dwarf Black Belt Martial Artist Monk Ranger Assassin Engineer Scientist Philosopher Student Nerd
World 6 Level 4 Stats: STR 150.0 | DEX 160.75 | STA 151.0 | CON 152.0 | WIS 158.0 | CHA 150.0

World 1 Level [1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22World 2 Level [1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10]  

World 3 Level [1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12World 4 Level [1, 2 (post lost), 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11]

World 5 Level [1, 2, 3, 4, 5] World 6 Level [1, 2, 3, 4, 4.5]

“If you are willing to be terrible at something for a short period of time, you can be great at anything.” -- Sinbad (Stand-Up Comedian)

Taijibum,

Thanks for the post!  It was very inspiring and I'll be looking into Chi Running.

I've been working on my hate for distance running.  I need to run to get into shape for football and rugby, so I set goals to run X number of miles or improve my time.  I think my form is fine.  I'm only exhausted or in pain after a run if I skip a week.  I'm not overweight, out of shape, old, brittle, or broken.  In fact, I am probably the strongest and fittest I've ever been.

I do sprints and suicides with no problem, because I love being fast, which I think could be part of my problem.  If I run a distance run too fast, then I'm not getting the benefits I desire.  I try to slow down, but then I'm frustrated with how long it takes to get the number of miles I desire.  I've tried music, Zombie apps, and changing the scenery, but nothing has changed my opinion. 

What I think I need is a team with whom to run, because I can always run when I'm playing a sport, whether training, pick-up, or whatever.  Or maybe I need to see distance running as a sport and get competitive... nah, I tried that.  I always come back to the fact that I'd rather be "playing" something else. 

I want to be able to run for fun.  Hopefully, I can find an answer. 

You  do run for fun, sprints. Nothing wrong with that. No reason to do distance if you are training for non-distance sports.

Why does everyone want/need to do distance runnning? Many other types to do and be very healthy and strong. 

Haven't seen a healthy looking marathoner in a long time.

I love exercising now that I found weight lifting, climbing and body weight exercises.

I loved it from day 1.

However I never loved running. I've done running, but it was always hard. I also never got the "runner's high" as it were.

My brain doesn't do that trick.

I did discover something else though, I don't love "jogging" but I do love "running". I'm not talking about the difference the OP explained. I'm talking speed here. Just a jogging pace doesn't work for me. But all out running (not sprinting! Not as fast as I can go), does work for me. I just can't run very far... maybe as long as other people sprint?

So I also think there's variety in that area.

I'm the same way. I hated jogging at a steady state but I always loved my interval days. I love just letting go and running as fast I can for as long as I can, which isn't very long. A minute at best lol. Which is probably why I've always had great success with programs like Insanity and TurboFire since they both have high intervals in them. 

Level 10 Wandering Nord

Constitution: 15.5 Strength: 14 Wisdom: 17.5 Stamina: 12.25 Dexterity: 2 Charisma: 8
Current Challenge: Picking Up The Pieces

My Experience with running:

1. I had to get to a certain level of running ability before I actually enjoyed running.  I'm extremely tall with long legs, and short strides just felt awkward/uncomfortable to me.  Once I had enough stamina to sustain a faster pace where I could stride decently, I enjoyed running a lot more.

2. Running outside >>> Running on the treadmill.  I can't emphasize this enough.  My favorite places to run have been places that have SAFE paths for folks to run, and are uncrowded/scenic.  Grinding on a treadmill sucks.  It's much easier to relax and soak it all in when you're just cruising outside in a safe, uncrowded area.  Of course, depending on where you live, the treadmill may be the only option at some points during the winter.  Such is life.

3. Unless you're seriously training for an endurance event, there's no reason to run incredible volumes.  Mix it up and keep it fun.  Throw some sprints in there.  Hop on the bike and go for a ride instead.  Go hike up a mountain at a quick pace.  Your legs will get a workout through any of these.

"Restlessness is discontent - and discontent is the first necessity of progress. Show me a thoroughly satisfied man-and I will show you a failure." -Thomas Edison

You  do run for fun, sprints. Nothing wrong with that. No reason to do distance if you are training for non-distance sports.

Why does everyone want/need to do distance runnning? Many other types to do and be very healthy and strong. 

Haven't seen a healthy looking marathoner in a long time.

Sure.  Football is more of a sprinting game, but if you want to still have speed in the final minutes while busting your ass every play before, then distance running is a must, because you develop your running endurance and final kick. 

Rugby is a lot more demanding with your running endurance than anything I've ever played.  Distance running is a must if you plan to play.  Without it, you'll be winded and useless in the first 10 minutes of a game.

I'm not looking to run more than 3 miles a run or more than 8 miles a week, because I'm not training for a marathon.  I agree that running 5 or more miles a run isn't for everyone.  There are plenty of other cardio workouts which are much better than just running.  But if you are training for a sport where running is essential, then you'll need to do some distance running to get your develop your running endurance.

Journey to You: Coaching, Mentoring, and Personal Growth

World 6 Level 5 | Epic Quest | Toastmasters: Where Leaders are Made | Institute for Jedi Realist Studies | Extra Life 2023 | YouTube Channel | Epic Nerd Camp

"No.  Try not.  Do... or do not.  There is no try." -- Yoda | "We are what we repeatedly do."  -- Aristotle

Spoiler

Distinguished Toastmaster Agnostic Rationalist Jedi Dwarf Black Belt Martial Artist Monk Ranger Assassin Engineer Scientist Philosopher Student Nerd
World 6 Level 4 Stats: STR 150.0 | DEX 160.75 | STA 151.0 | CON 152.0 | WIS 158.0 | CHA 150.0

World 1 Level [1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22World 2 Level [1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10]  

World 3 Level [1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12World 4 Level [1, 2 (post lost), 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11]

World 5 Level [1, 2, 3, 4, 5] World 6 Level [1, 2, 3, 4, 4.5]

“If you are willing to be terrible at something for a short period of time, you can be great at anything.” -- Sinbad (Stand-Up Comedian)

1. I had to get to a certain level of running ability before I actually enjoyed running.  I'm extremely tall with long legs, and short strides just felt awkward/uncomfortable to me.  Once I had enough stamina to sustain a faster pace where I could stride decently, I enjoyed running a lot more.

Thats it, right there!

2. Running outside >>> Running on the treadmill.  I can't emphasize this enough.  My favorite places to run have been places that have SAFE paths for folks to run, and are uncrowded/scenic.  Grinding on a treadmill sucks.  It's much easier to relax and soak it all in when you're just cruising outside in a safe, uncrowded area.  Of course, depending on where you live, the treadmill may be the only option at some points during the winter.  Such is life.

3. Unless you're seriously training for an endurance event, there's no reason to run incredible volumes.  Mix it up and keep it fun.  Throw some sprints in there.  Hop on the bike and go for a ride instead.  Go hike up a mountain at a quick pace.  Your legs will get a workout through any of these.

I agree with the OP and with this^^. I have never been much of a runner, when I started running I could barely run for two minutes. The main reason I even started was because I had to do a 400 yard sprint for a physical test, and needed to build up my overall speed and endurance. For awhile it was difficult, but when I stuck to it I progressed very rapidly and now I can run two miles at a comfortable pace without stopping. I'm still not at the advanced level some of the people here are, but I don't hate it as much as I used to. And once I get past the first five minutes or so, it stops being difficult and I can just run. I run three times a week, incorporating endurance runs, sprints, and easy intervals/distance into my routine. Switching up the run varieties keeps things more interesting.

If you have no desire to run, then don't. If you want to run, but it makes you miserable, just give it time and lots of practice to hone the skills. I think the OP makes a great point. I think anyone can learn to love running.

Lvl. 2 Ranger Assassin Shapeshifter

STR - 3 | DEX - 3 | STA - 7 | CON - 4 | WIS - 4 | CHA - 4

Current Challenge: Breaking Chains

(Really) Old Challenges 1 | 2 | 3

There's another funny thing that happens AFTER you get good at it and love it. When your logging more that 60 or so miles a week it hurts to run that first half mile because your a little sore from the day before. It worse when you do a long run of maybe 20 miles and then the next day do another 20 just because you can. It hurts, it sucks, you want to quit and when you finish you feel like an immortal. The pleasure from running seems to move up a notch and dont get me started about crying when I finished the 50 mile finish line of my ultra. Oy!

Yea, I'm chalking in with the "No running" crowd.  I never ran outside (I hate having people watch me work out), but I was doing the couch to 5k while unemployed.  Hated every freaking minute of it.  Was doing it in the attempt to just lose weight/potentially prepare for the Zombie 5k "Run for your Life!" event.  I've gotten a lot of comments that I don't have a runner's body (which is true, I'm broad and heavy), and I'm also someone who loved lifting weights a helluva lot more than any cardio exercise ever.  I only wish I had gotten the courage to use the free weights instead of the weight machines while I was unemployed. (Though in my defense, I seemed to have chosen the ONE Planet Fitness that was meat head central.  Damned if I know how.)

RisenPhoenix, the Entish Aikidoka

Challenge: RisenPhoenix Turns to Ash

"The essence of koryu [...is] you offer your loyalty to something that you choose to regard as greater than yourself so that you will, someday, be able to offer service to something that truly is transcendent." ~ Ellis Amdur, Old School

Archived